Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Josh Allen has been worth this contract for 33% of his NFL career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Josh Allen has been worth this contract for 33% of his NFL career.

Reminds me of how ludicrous the Mahomes contract was when he had a passer rating below 80 for 33% percent of his career.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The cap is going to explode and Josh Allen is a top 5ish QB for the future. I see nothing wrong with the contract versus the alternative of letting it drag out and paying more later.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Pretending this is a bad move by the Bills as of right now today is just sour grapes.

I hope to hell he regresses and it’s a giant albatross but if I were a Bills fan I would have wanted them to give him this deal.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I didn't say it's a bad move they had to do this based off of last season. I just hope it ends up as a bad move...

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

TheBizzness posted:

if I were a Bills fan I would have wanted them to give him this deal.

If I were a Bills fan I would understand that the Bills only did this now to divert media and fan attention away from their plan to take Josh and the team and move them to Des Moines.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think you've certainly got to consider that there's a risk in the Bills giving Allen a big extension after one excellent year when they didn't have to do it right now. Why not do an in-season extension?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
It's the Bills, so all his ligaments will now explode, but this is a deal you have to do

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Isn’t he under contract for a couple years. You really don’t unless you think the cap is about to explode

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Isn’t he under contract for a couple years. You really don’t unless you think the cap is about to explode

They had the 4th year and then the 5th year option.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
In the long run, whats the difference? If this offseason proved anything, it's that you can always trade a QB that at least shows the slightest bit of still having it. Goff, Wentz and Darnold all proved that. If you have to give up a pick to do it, it's still better then being stuck with a bad QB contract.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The contract negotiations with Lamar are going to be extremely fascinating.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hamhandler posted:

I think you've certainly got to consider that there's a risk in the Bills giving Allen a big extension after one excellent year when they didn't have to do it right now. Why not do an in-season extension?

I assume it's easier to do it now and it's just generally a goodwill gesture to not allow contract negotiations to hang over a player's head while they're also preparing for actual NFL games, but past that there's no guarantee that would lead to a better outcome. What if he starts slow? Do you start low balling him? Pause negotiations until he has a string of good games? If he picks up where he left off last year, does he start asking for more money? What happens if Baker or Lamar signs first?

But even past that, Allen has been playing out of his mind in training camp and there's not really a compelling reason to believe he would significantly regress.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I wonder if the Bills made Allen get vaxxed before giving him the contract lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I wonder if the Bills made Allen get vaxxed before giving him the contract lol

Would be funnier if he had some clause in his contract that they don’t ask him anymore.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

pasaluki posted:

Yeah apparently he was even making plays on Tre.

We got to keep him just to troll Aaron Rodgers, but apparently he's been a beast.

Apparently Rodgers saw something the rest of the staff didn’t and had a good point for being mad they let him go.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

The cap is going to explode and Josh Allen is a top 5ish QB for the future. I see nothing wrong with the contract versus the alternative of letting it drag out and paying more later.

Yeah, and in addition to that, the Bills can spread out the cap hit over these next couple seasons apparently.

quote:

First, because they already had Allen under roster control for the next two seasons at a controlled cost well under the average of the extension, they can justifiably spread out the cap hits more conductively to their team-building year over year. It’s simple math. One more year takes down the average. So at first glance, this is a $43 million extension — but only over those six years. Adding in the $6.9 million already owed to Allen in 2021 and the $23.1 million cap hit for Allen’s fifth-year option in 2022 brings the eight-year total money to $288 million. And over those eight seasons, that yields an average of $36 million — which is a legitimate change in the outlook.

Even in likely-ish event that Allen regresses to become more like a top 12 guy, it's still worth the contract. Would have loved to have a Stafford or Matt Ryan caliber player over the past decade. As long as he can stay comfortably above the play of, like, Derek Carr, the contract won't be a huge nuisance.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

latinotwink1997 posted:

Apparently Rodgers saw something the rest of the staff didn’t and had a good point for being mad they let him go.

Yeah on the NYup podcast they have Kumerow as a lock to make the team.

Our WRs are pretty deep so the guy is definitely talented to be standing out like he is and also can play special teams.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Now Antonio Williams and Christian Wade just need to have breakout seasons in the RB role...

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

lol

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1424051442646716416?s=20

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Just cut his rear end already, Hunter Long makes him entirely expendable.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1424067237162459136

That sucks I always liked the dude.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

oof, always feels the worst for the bubble guys

https://twitter.com/PhilAPerry/status/1424068471286124546

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I still feel like there should be very little chance that Mims is cut but there is obviously plenty of smoke at this point that he is underwhelming in camp/might be on the bubble. Definitely concerning.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1424021477494607872?s=21

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Professor Funk posted:

I still feel like there should be very little chance that Mims is cut but there is obviously plenty of smoke at this point that he is underwhelming in camp/might be on the bubble. Definitely concerning.

https://twitter.com/profootballtalk/status/1424021477494607872?s=21

They aren't going to cut him but they are trying to light a fire under his rear end. Yr1 Douglas draft isn't looking super hot these days though.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
BUST

https://twitter.com/connor_j_hughes/status/1424175310292070400?s=21

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

Enough of that though, give us those juicy Josh Johnson camp stats.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

syzpid posted:

Enough of that though, give us those juicy Josh Johnson camp stats.

6 of 9 for 420 yards

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1424189769031036930?s=20

hell yeah

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/mlombardiNFL/status/1424351813424320512?s=20

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1424361544671014916?s=20

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1424362786969227266?s=20

Sounds pretty minor…?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
I mean three and a half million dollars is a pretty solid return on a few weeks of complaining

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
gently caress that's a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Do wonder if there's some under the table agreement to trade him if someone comes up with two first rounders or something.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Raku posted:

I mean three and a half million dollars is a pretty solid return on a few weeks of complaining

I was expecting something that went beyond this year.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

ah, there is some more for 2022

https://twitter.com/AdamHBeasley/status/1424367045924335617?s=20

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

I was expecting something that went beyond this year.

I was expecting around $12m guaranteed, which would have put him over Byron Jones every year.

I assume we're going to do this again next year assuming he stays healthy.

Edit: Ah, makes more sense. Lots more guarantees. Fair enough.

tarbrush fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 8, 2021

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

drat. Felt like Miami's defense would have kind of collapsed without X.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Wow he got quite a lot of guaranteed money. Good move.

Really happy he’s sticking around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

fsif posted:

drat. Felt like Miami's defense would have kind of collapsed without X.

probably but hey! it won't!

please pay no attention to the other side of the ball my son tua gets very shy when you observe him