Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This all sounds like a miserable experience all around. Nobody is going to do 550 mi on mountain roads, while riding bikes that take 1.5 hours to recharge. Best of luck to you anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Speaking of miserable electric bike experiences, I finally got around to watching long way up and is it just me or did they completely stop talking about charging after like episode 2?

Is the theory that they just gave up and charged off the generator in the Sprinter?

Also there is zero mention of charging the Rivians ever aside from the times they needed a tow charge. Did they just always charge from the sprinter?

For a series built around documenting the struggles of long distance bike travel they sure did sweep that whole charging thing under the rug

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
im assuming the whole series just ends with a bmw R1200GS advertisement

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I just stumbled on to a Harley demo day, but they were't providing helmets so all I could do was look at the bikes. They had a bunch of livewires next to their super hogg heritage classic full dresser screamin eagle CVO deluxe bagger vance special glides, and I can't imagine anyone buying a 100 mile range electric bike for the same price as a fully loaded ~ultra limited~ .

It just seems like that thing should be 10-13k at most, 30k is absolute madness.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.

Nitrox posted:

This all sounds like a miserable experience all around. Nobody is going to do 550 mi on mountain roads, while riding bikes that take 1.5 hours to recharge. Best of luck to you anyway

Nobody? I think you underestimate our group of idiots. To be fair, we're very much aware we're taking these bikes to limits they weren't designed for. Wild West? Pioneers. :clint:

My bike will do a 30 minute full charge all day long, usually only 25 needed, but my range is going to be about 50-60 miles on the highway. I plan to pretty much take Highway 99 all the way to Sacramento, then transition to 80 for Reno.

The LiveWire can get most of what it needs for a charge in about 45 minutes and do about 75 miles.

The more battery dense Energicas, if they could keep the batteries cool, would be able to do about 100 miles and charge in 45 minutes, but they're going to be unable to do that after the second stop and will be relegated to, I figure, about an hour and a half or so.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Speaking of miserable electric bike experiences, I finally got around to watching long way up and is it just me or did they completely stop talking about charging after like episode 2?

That's correct, they did (at least when it comes to using the "network of chargers we will build for free for other electric vehicles owners wanting to do the route!"; they forgot about it completely).

It really is quite silly later on, boats, planes, a loving diesel bus to haul their bikes...

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Voltage posted:

I just stumbled on to a Harley demo day, but they were't providing helmets so all I could do was look at the bikes. They had a bunch of livewires next to their super hogg heritage classic full dresser screamin eagle CVO deluxe bagger vance special glides, and I can't imagine anyone buying a 100 mile range electric bike for the same price as a fully loaded ~ultra limited~ .

It just seems like that thing should be 10-13k at most, 30k is absolute madness.

I could understand if the bike was flawless. I've heard too many stories of the charger just deciding not to work (as in LR's story) that make it seem super unreliable.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Got my 500 a little dirty. 15 miles of service roads. Lots of elevation change plus some tight and loose stuff. This thing is stupid fun.

Fine on the freeway. Tops out at ~90 mph, but it gets there quick. GPS says I hit 94. This is stock and at elevation.

Super fun on twisty paved road. This bike would be amazing as a sumo.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Hellllll yeah.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

:hellyeah:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Nice one!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If ever there were a bike begging for 17” wheels and some sticky rubber, that’s it.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
What did that feel like at 94mph? I feel like at that speed on that bike I might disintegrate.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Strife posted:

What did that feel like at 94mph? I feel like at that speed on that bike I might disintegrate.

Eventually you accept the shaking, incorporate it into your biology, become one with the wobble.

Then you ride a normal bike and it feels like the steering head bearings are seized.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Eh, it would have gotten very boring and repetitive if every episode they spent half their time looking for chargers. IMO they made the point in those first two, and the rest were about doing stuff and going places.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I mean, if we're going to talk about the series again they used the wrong bike. No question about it. Period. The Zero DSR with a chain kit would have made the series interesting. But :10bux: talks.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Strife posted:

I have gone that speed on the 450 cousin on dirt/sand and it feels like: wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

Eh, it would have gotten very boring and repetitive if every episode they spent half their time looking for chargers. IMO they made the point in those first two, and the rest were about doing stuff and going places.

I can see this, but part of what I loved about the original long way round is the continual fight against nature and the machines themselves and the grind they had to go through to overcome it.

This one felt more like a sightseeing blog. It’s just my expectations going in at the end of the day, I guess

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Just having a think, how would a Gen2 Hayabusa be for motorwaying 425 miles (Stirling to London) every other week?

I might be having to commute to London on, for example, the first Saturday of the month, then commute back to Stirling on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

20 x 425 miles would be 8500 miles per annum.

You can get a Gen 2 for about £7000.

Throw some heated grips on it and it'd be a good and comfy long distance commuter, right? (I don't need to carry anything with me, btw).

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

You would be better off with a vfr800 or a blackbird. Busa seems overkill for a commute.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Busas are good touring bikes. Crazy passing power, enough heft, aftermarket bag options. You’d probably have to adjust the ergos to be comfy for that long, but there are worse touring bikes.

Really though, get a Goldwing. Even a used one will eat an astounding amount of miles. Divide their mileage by 10 to equate it with a normal bike. Buying a Goldwing with 57,000 miles? That’s like a normal bike with 5,700 miles on it

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Salisbury Snape posted:

You would be better off with a vfr800 or a blackbird.

The blackbird was Honda's 'busa, they filled the same slot in the lineup. If the 'busa is overkill, so is the 'bird

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

A used VFR 800F looks ideal. ABS models are less than half the price of a prior gen Goldwing (which should be expected).

This makes the VFR a hard to beat value proposition.

I need to have a test ride of some of these.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Long motorway trips on sporty forward-canted stuff like that are miserable imo, especially if you need to do anything when you get where you're going. Get you an upright tourer like a 'wing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Steakandchips posted:

Just having a think, how would a Gen2 Hayabusa be for motorwaying 425 miles (Stirling to London) every other week?

I might be having to commute to London on, for example, the first Saturday of the month, then commute back to Stirling on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

20 x 425 miles would be 8500 miles per annum.

You can get a Gen 2 for about £7000.

Throw some heated grips on it and it'd be a good and comfy long distance commuter, right? (I don't need to carry anything with me, btw).

I've done London to Cornwall on an RS125, it was fine.

Seriously though, that's pretty much exactly the use case for a Hayabusa - ignore the top speed, it was ruthlessly optimised to be comfortable at 70-90 mph. It's just above the lugging zone in top gear at that speed so it'll be quiet, relaxed, and sip fuel, the airflow around the fairing will support your weight comfortably in the lean, and as long as you're mindful not to lock your elbows or knees fatigue shouldn't be a problem as long as you have a decent helmet.

It *will* feel like you're trying to get the Ever Given down the Regents Canal once you hit London though, and that comfortable-at-speed position will start killing your neck and shoulders if you're trying to make progress in London traffic (and that'll be with 5 hours fatigue already on you on the way down of course). Obviously you can just choose not to play, at least at the worst bits, but you will feel a bit silly on your 180mph speed machine as mopeds, cyclists, and the occasional spirited toddler on an electric scooter scream past you.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

It'll most likely be commuting to a commuter town outside London, e.g. Woking, and then using some small, lovely, I-don't-give-too-much-of-a-poo poo-if-it's-stolen bike in London proper.

So using a 'wing or Busa in London itself won't likely be an issue. Probably.

I need to do some long test rides.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Why not the Fat Bob?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The Fat Bob should be fine too, but just thinking out loud.

£168.19 annually to insure a £8995 2001 ABS 'wing like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202103099946584. TPFT. Comprehensive is £295.17.

£199.79 annually to insure a £5795 2009 Busa ABS like this https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202103310803569. TPFT. Comprehensive is £356.80.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Shelvocke mentioned selling his FJR1300. Buy that?

Also, depending where your office is, Stop at St Albans and train in, or Zone3/4 and ebike. They’ve made London pretty miserable for all vehicles in the last year.

But your twice-month-800mile commute is going to get pretty miserable anyway. So maybe go all in on misery?

P.S. your London-runner is going to get stolen after sitting unmoved for 2 weeks, and then you’re going to have an unfun time. Not to mention, insurance will be a bomb if you’re keeping it in London.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 4, 2021

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

You could also look at something like a bmw k1600gt https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...rice-asc&page=1 (just a random one)

My dad has one that he's put nearly 70 k miles on and has ridden it across the US more than once. He has been a goldwing person for 25 years prior to buying it and after test riding both felt that there was no comparison.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Also, depending where your office is, Stop at St Albans and train in, or Zone3/4 and ebike. They’ve made London pretty miserable for all vehicles in the last year.

Lol that seems like the most expensive, complex, and slowest possible way of commuting in London. The only real big problem for London biking is those loving ASLs and making bits of the Embankment one lane with a solid divider, and both of those are easily got around with a bit of thought and planning, and I'd still rather take a full-dress Harley through London than the loving Tube at rush hour.

If you've got secure parking lined up in your commuter town then your plan sounds really pretty solid, although personally at that point I'd skip the Busa and just pick a town on the LNER, train down to there and just ride from there into London.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol that seems like the most expensive, complex, and slowest possible way of commuting in London. The only real big problem for London biking is those loving ASLs and making bits of the Embankment one lane with a solid divider, and both of those are easily got around with a bit of thought and planning, and I'd still rather take a full-dress Harley through London than the loving Tube at rush hour.
They made entire of the northern ring road between Euston and KingsX a single lane road too. With two lanes for bicycles and busses.

And most boroughs are bringing in parking charges for bikes too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

They made entire of the northern ring road between Euston and KingsX a single lane road too. With two lanes for bicycles and busses.

And most boroughs are bringing in parking charges for bikes too.

That's a TfL route so motorbikes are allowed in the bus lane, what's the problem? Not that I'd normally use that route anyway, the back streets around the West End are way quicker once you know where you're going.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a TfL route so motorbikes are allowed in the bus lane, what's the problem? Not that I'd normally use that route anyway, the back streets around the West End are way quicker once you know where you're going.

Pretty sure they’re bus/bicycle only now.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Horse Clocks posted:

Shelvocke mentioned selling his FJR1300. Buy that?

But your twice-month-800mile commute is going to get pretty miserable anyway. So maybe go all in on misery?

P.S. your London-runner is going to get stolen after sitting unmoved for 2 weeks, and then you’re going to have an unfun time. Not to mention, insurance will be a bomb if you’re keeping it in London.

Mmm, dunno about the FJR.

St Albans? It's quite expensive and there's not much to rent there. I liked Woking, will probably stick with that.

I'm not e-biking/bicycling 20+ miles. 5, I'd do. But I'm not likely to live within the M25.

The bike isn't getting stolen, I'll be renting somewhere with a garage, in which it will sit chained and shut away.

My main residence remains in Scotland, so insurance will be tuppenny ha'penny.

Minnesota Mixup posted:

You could also look at something like a bmw k1600gt https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-d...rice-asc&page=1 (just a random one)

My dad has one that he's put nearly 70 k miles on and has ridden it across the US more than once. He has been a goldwing person for 25 years prior to buying it and after test riding both felt that there was no comparison.

I suppose. Slavvy's BMW horror stories make me a little wary... I'll need to test ride a few.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you've got secure parking lined up in your commuter town then your plan sounds really pretty solid, although personally at that point I'd skip the Busa and just pick a town on the LNER, train down to there and just ride from there into London.

I did the sodding LNER twice a week, Stirling to Kings Cross, for a year and a half. It is loving miserable. Never again. You don't save much time using it, and often it is late so you spend the entire day in the disgusting train with loos that stink, and the air conditioning/heating breaks so often, that's it's just unbearable. gently caress that.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
My advice for doing that trip (I used to commute 500+ miles a week) is to get noise cancelling earphones, merino everything for under your gear, and yeah something like the FJR (no longer selling mine for the time being). I think if you try to do it on the Fat Bob you will Die. Even on a touring bike you may still die in wet/cold weather.
Also be prepared that the day after you arrive you will not want to get out of bed.

I do not think you will enjoy it outside of the summer months.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I appreciate the advice.

I'm still going to try it. If in the colder months it really sucks, I might just fly more to London City Airport or Heathrow.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Strife posted:

Perfectly fine. Didn't seem to vibrate more at that speed than lower speeds. And I've gotten used to that after four rides. Bet it's going to be weird to jump on my CBR now.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

Long motorway trips on sporty forward-canted stuff like that are miserable imo, especially if you need to do anything when you get where you're going. Get you an upright tourer like a 'wing.

Eh, I've done multi day tours on my CBR1000RR with Helibars. Knees and butt would start to get uncomfortable after 300 or so miles, but that's it. Had no problem riding all morning and then going hiking in the evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I've done lands end to Manchester and back on a vfr750, it was pretty OK even though the return journey was in the pissing rain. I've also done Cornwall to London on a bandit 6 and a cg125. Both were horrible experiences that I would not repeat.
The vfr was hands down the top commuter bike I've owned or ridden. That bike would go through thick and thin in all weather without batting an eyelid.
I mentioned the blackbird earlier, it was a really comfy bike for me. I only owned it for a short period because its just too big and heavy for the roads around here. Riding it on dual carriageways was a dream though.

E. Virago 535 was probably the most miserable bike to commute on. Was just really not a pleasant ride in the wet.

Salisbury Snape fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 4, 2021