Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

nimper posted:

So you're saying that it's the install script's fault, not the recovery's fault? That sounds about right to me. Maybe a good recovery would have caught the error in the install script but back then neither TWRP or CWM recovery was able to do that apparently.

I used CWM hosed my galaxy s aswell time ago when flashing CM9. I use TWRP on my S4 and TF201 (even the kitkat compatible ones) and never had a single issue. TWRP is fine to me and i read complains about both, not mostly CWM or TWRP especifically. I have a newer cwm on my galaxy s running CM11 and is fine. So as LastInLine said is mostly a script issue i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

What version of CWMR are you on? One of them had a lot of trouble with KitKat but it's since been resolved. You should be on 6.0.4.5/6 or thereabouts.

6.0.4.7, in fact. It was cwm touch, I just flashed the non-touch version. I'll try another backup later to see if it's any different.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

sirbeefalot posted:

6.0.4.7, in fact. It was cwm touch, I just flashed the non-touch version. I'll try another backup later to see if it's any different.
I doubt that's the issue, I just remember there being an issue with something taking far too long around the time of the KitKat changeover. It was resolved long ago and thinking back I believe it was a wipe that took too long, not a backup.

I don't see the issue on my N5 on the 6.0.4.6 version.

Edit: I did a little research, the problem was with 6.0.4.4 and it was really slow at wiping /cache. This shouldn't affect backup time. If you use DiskUsage do you see anything that could be causing it?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jun 8, 2014

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone know how to clear up the "insufficient storage" bug? I have plenty of space left, it's not cache or leftover files. I'm suspecting that somehow folders have lost/changed permissions and it's not able to write to these when updating applications. Anyone know the exact fix for this? The web is full of idiots hocking poo poo software and parroting the same stuff over and over.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

YouTuber posted:

Anyone know how to clear up the "insufficient storage" bug? I have plenty of space left, it's not cache or leftover files. I'm suspecting that somehow folders have lost/changed permissions and it's not able to write to these when updating applications. Anyone know the exact fix for this? The web is full of idiots hocking poo poo software and parroting the same stuff over and over.

What device? I thought that bug was squashed years ago.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Seriously, my only non-rooted device is my less than a week old nexus 7, but youtube ads and having no adblock is starting to be a huge deal for me. My S4 is already running 4.4.3 (gpe rom), any eta on it for the N7? I want to wait the rooting ritual until i get the update.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Guillermus posted:

Seriously, my only non-rooted device is my less than a week old nexus 7, but youtube ads and having no adblock is starting to be a huge deal for me. My S4 is already running 4.4.3 (gpe rom), any eta on it for the N7? I want to hold the rooting ritual until i get the update.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Guillermus posted:

Seriously, my only non-rooted device is my less than a week old nexus 7, but youtube ads and having no adblock is starting to be a huge deal for me. My S4 is already running 4.4.3 (gpe rom), any eta on it for the N7? I want to wait the rooting ritual until i get the update.

It was pushed to my N7 four days ago. If you're in a big hurry, just sideload the update.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Vykk.Draygo posted:

What device? I thought that bug was squashed years ago.

Galaxy S3 running the latest Cyanogenmod. It's not related to lack of space, it's something else.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Got a Nexus 5. Should I just use CF Auto-Root or is there a better way? Also, can it be done without a SIM-card? I'm waiting on a micro-SIM to arrive so I thought I might root it meanwhile if possible.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SplitSoul posted:

Got a Nexus 5. Should I just use CF Auto-Root or is there a better way? Also, can it be done without a SIM-card? I'm waiting on a micro-SIM to arrive so I thought I might root it meanwhile if possible.

Yes, you can do it with out a SIM card. What is your OS? Windows/Mac/Linux? You'll need to fight with drivers if you have Windows. You can download the Android SDK which includes the drivers you need for Windows.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

See this post which was for a Verizon GNex, the process is identical except that the Nexus 5 codename is hammerhead.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey ya'll. Some Android scripting questions:

I'm trying to write a .sh script which will install an app. When i run the command "pm install *name of apk*.apk, it works fine. When I put that same line in a script, I get "failed: INVALID_URI", thats not the exact phrasing but something similar. Ive googled the poo poo out of that error and seen tons of questions and only a few answers, all of which say its some fundamental rom issue and to reflash the rom. That sounds crazy and not probable. Yes im doing this all in root. Ive tried changing permissions on all kinds of folders "/system, /data, /data/local, ect) and no dice.

Anyone have any experience which what Im trying to do? How do you install an apk from a script (not just terminal emulator)?

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
By *name of apk*.apk are you using an absolute path? Is the shell script executing the commands in the directory you are thinking it is?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tunga posted:

See this post which was for a Verizon GNex, the process is identical except that the Nexus 5 codename is hammerhead.

Thanks. So there's no loving around with kernels and I can update Android as normal? Do you recommend touch or regular CWM?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks. So there's no loving around with kernels and I can update Android as normal? Do you recommend touch or regular CWM?
OTAs will fail but you can either flash the OTA manually in recovery or "fastboot update" the new factory image. Either way you'll have to reflash recovery and SU.

You do not need to touch the kernel (and gently caress those stupid Sony devices where this is a thing).

I use TWRP but for the amount of time you'll ever spend in recovery it doesn't matter much. Unless you are particularly clumsy at operating a touchscreen, Touch is probably less fiddly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
There is a new firmware for the Nexus 7, but is it safe to download or would I lose data?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Cruseydr posted:

By *name of apk*.apk are you using an absolute path? Is the shell script executing the commands in the directory you are thinking it is?

I am using an absolute path yes. I am executing the script from the path of where the .sh is located. For instance, if the .sh is located in /data/data/com.myscript.com/myscript.ph, I execute it from that directory. If the apk is on the sdcard, the scirpt calls for "pm instal /sdcard/directory/to/app/targetapp.apk"

Is there something wrong with my syntax?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

There is a new firmware for the Nexus 7, but is it safe to download or would I lose data?

You will lose root, and you'll probably either have to apply the OTA manually in recovery or fastboot update the factory image. Data is not affected and you can re-root immediately.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I updated my Verizon SGS3 to the newest CM Nightly, but now the OS has two files downloading that show up as "null".

Rebooting the phone and clearing the cache won't get rid of it. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything, it's just annoying.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Gozinbulx posted:

I am using an absolute path yes. I am executing the script from the path of where the .sh is located. For instance, if the .sh is located in /data/data/com.myscript.com/myscript.ph, I execute it from that directory. If the apk is on the sdcard, the scirpt calls for "pm instal /sdcard/directory/to/app/targetapp.apk"

Is there something wrong with my syntax?

Gah, I am sorry to quote my own post but I would REALLY appreciate some help on this. Cruseydr seemed like he was going to follow up with me but I guess he has yet to see it. Anyone have any experience with android shell scripting? I feel like maybe im missing something fundamental, but it's actually not that easy to find clear tutorials on it that are explicitly for Android (they're all for unix in general).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gozinbulx posted:

Gah, I am sorry to quote my own post but I would REALLY appreciate some help on this. Cruseydr seemed like he was going to follow up with me but I guess he has yet to see it. Anyone have any experience with android shell scripting? I feel like maybe im missing something fundamental, but it's actually not that easy to find clear tutorials on it that are explicitly for Android (they're all for unix in general).
Honestly you might have more luck in the development thread.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I asked in the app thread but got no response, so I'm asking here. Is there anything like LBE available today for privacy control?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I asked in the app thread but got no response, so I'm asking here. Is there anything like LBE available today for privacy control?
CM offers inbuilt functionality that might be similar. What did LBE do, exactly? How did it differ from AppOps?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SplitSoul posted:

There's 3 or 4 different privacy modules for Xposed Framework.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

LastInLine posted:

CM offers inbuilt functionality that might be similar. What did LBE do, exactly? How did it differ from AppOps?

I've been out of the loop for several years, mind you, my last phone was a Nexus S running 2.3.4. It was this Chinese-developed app that was able to block specific app permissions like internet access, access to contacts, messages and the like at root level, but then it was updated at some point and the name and description changed into Chinese, so I never updated beyond that.

I'm also wondering, if I root my Nexus 5, will I have to wipe the phone everytime I sideload an OTA? And is AdFree still the go-to ad remedy or has somehting better replaced it? I mainly want to root to get rid of ads and gain control over permissions, but I'd also prefer keeping the OS vanilla.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

I'm also wondering, if I root my Nexus 5, will I have to wipe the phone everytime I sideload an OTA?
You can either manually apply the OTA is recovery or fastboot update the factory image, either way there is no reason to wipe. You'll lose root but that is easily reapplied.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

I've been out of the loop for several years, mind you, my last phone was a Nexus S running 2.3.4. It was this Chinese-developed app that was able to block specific app permissions like internet access, access to contacts, messages and the like at root level, but then it was updated at some point and the name and description changed into Chinese, so I never updated beyond that.
Then yes, using an Xposed module as Whizbang suggested might be your best bet.

SplitSoul posted:

I'm also wondering, if I root my Nexus 5, will I have to wipe the phone everytime I sideload an OTA? And is AdFree still the go-to ad remedy or has somehting better replaced it? I mainly want to root to get rid of ads and gain control over permissions, but I'd also prefer keeping the OS vanilla.
As Tunga said, no, you won't have to wipe to OTA (and Xposed will survive too after you re-root). AdFree AdAway is currently the best adblocker, here's where you get it.

Keeping your OS vanilla and using Xposed is your best route.

Also you should've updated your Nexus S to at least Ice Cream Sandwich, that phone was great on 4.0.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 11, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

AdFree is currently the best adblocker.

AdAway is currently the best adblocker. :colbert:

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

YouTuber posted:

Galaxy S3 running the latest Cyanogenmod. It's not related to lack of space, it's something else.

Did you ever have the "phone.process"-whatever crash bug when flashing to the newest version on your S3? if you did how did you end up fixing it? Im stuck on the 20140206 nightly because I cant update the phone without the dialer constantly crashing, to the point where I can barely get a keypress in to reset the device. Even after a drat full factory reset.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SplitSoul posted:

You want the XPrivacy Exposed module. Each time an app requests a permission, you have the option to either approve or deny it permission either permanently or for the next 15 seconds.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Whizbang posted:

AdAway is currently the best adblocker. :colbert:
Holy poo poo, yes. Sorry--fixed it.

Thanks.

haximus prime
Nov 23, 2007
buttes

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Did you ever have the "phone.process"-whatever crash bug when flashing to the newest version on your S3? if you did how did you end up fixing it? Im stuck on the 20140206 nightly because I cant update the phone without the dialer constantly crashing, to the point where I can barely get a keypress in to reset the device. Even after a drat full factory reset.

I had this problem too. Same device and same CM version (CM11?).

I fixed it by making sure both the radio and the gapps matched the android version. I can't tell which of the two actually fixed my problem however as I flashed both zips at once.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

This exact same thing happened on my Note II when I went to some nightly of CM11 back in March. It was because the kernel (Devil2) I was using wasn't ready for 4.4.3 or whatever and I needed to update to Devil3. Not sure if this would apply to your device.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Something weird happened to my HTC One (My) (i.e., last years' One.)

I have the Dev edition that shipped with the unlocked bootloader, and a month or so ago finally got around to upgrading it to the Google Play Edition ROM (4.4.2)

A couple of days ago,I got the notification for the 4.4.3 update. I didn't install it, because I didn't want to lose root (which I only have around for Xposed/GrqavityBox stuff now.)

Well, this morning, the notification went away...and even if I go to Settings->About Phone-> System Update, it says my phone is up to date.

I mean...overall, i guess it's nice to not have that persistent notification, but it seems weird it went away.

Did Google/HTC pull the update for the M7?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm downloading stuff and getting ready to root. I found this which seems to indicate that I can even accept OTAs regularly and keep root if I use SuperSU, provided I uninstall Xposed first. Any experiences with that?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

Thanks for all your suggestions, I'm downloading stuff and getting ready to root. I found this which seems to indicate that I can even accept OTAs regularly and keep root if I use SuperSU, provided I uninstall Xposed first. Any experiences with that?
SuperSU does have that survival mode thingy but it's a bit hit and miss, it's more designed for devices on which reapplying root is a more complicated process. On a Nexus device you can re-root the thing in like twenty seconds so it doesn't really matter.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tunga posted:

SuperSU does have that survival mode thingy but it's a bit hit and miss, it's more designed for devices on which reapplying root is a more complicated process. On a Nexus device you can re-root the thing in like twenty seconds so it doesn't really matter.

But will I still have to sideload the OTA? Will accepting one just fail or gently caress up the phone somehow? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I figure I might as well dot all the i's while I wait for that drat SDK to finish downloading and then battle with the driver.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SplitSoul posted:

Installing an OTA with Xposed is simple. There's a button in Xposed to uninstall it, do that, reboot, OTA, reroot, turn on Xposed again. The process might take five minutes.

As Tunga said the survival mode thing isn't for Nexus devices. Rooting a Nexus takes 30 seconds from start to finish, trying to avoid having to do it again is silly.

SplitSoul posted:

But will I still have to sideload the OTA? Will accepting one just fail or gently caress up the phone somehow? Sorry for all the stupid questions, I figure I might as well dot all the i's while I wait for that drat SDK to finish downloading and then battle with the driver.
I don't understand the question but if you accept it it won't flash because you'll have a custom recovery. You'll need to either a) manually flash the OTA in that recovery or b) flash the updated system.img from Nexus images site in fastboot.

You can't gently caress up the phone by accepting the OTA, it will just boot to recovery and sit there.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Thanks. Another question: Windows (7-64) can't find a suitable driver in the extras folder. Do I need to download the 32-bit package instead or what?

Edit: Got it, it's a separate download now apparently.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 12, 2014