Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Okay, I know I posted this somewhere, but it may have been in another thread, so I'll ask again:

I have a 3.75 lb can of Cooper's English bitter extract and want to (finally) do my second ever batch with it. Ingredient-wise it says it conatains malt and hops, and of course comes with a packet of yeast. Should I just toss it in a pot with a gallon or so of water, boil it a bit, and then pitch some Safale S-04 yeast with it? Am I missing any ingredients? Or any other suggestions for making it... better?

I'm averaging one batch a year so far, so this may as well be my first one. I need to drink more beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT

Nostratic posted:

Okay, I know I posted this somewhere, but it may have been in another thread, so I'll ask again:

I have a 3.75 lb can of Cooper's English bitter extract and want to (finally) do my second ever batch with it. Ingredient-wise it says it conatains malt and hops, and of course comes with a packet of yeast. Should I just toss it in a pot with a gallon or so of water, boil it a bit, and then pitch some Safale S-04 yeast with it? Am I missing any ingredients? Or any other suggestions for making it... better?

I'm averaging one batch a year so far, so this may as well be my first one. I need to drink more beer.

What does the can say to do? In a one gallon batch, that would probably make a pretty hefty beer. It might need two cans for a full 5 gallon batch, or some Dry Malt Extract added to it, but I haven't brewed a canned beer in a long time.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

So in 'crazyfish comes up with a completely stupid idea' kind of recipes, I've decided to do a braggot witbier, using orange blossom honey to get some of the orangey characteristics that are so classic in a witbier. Is my idea completely dumb? Here's an off-the-cuff recipe I came up with based on a recipe I've done in the past: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/witbraggot What I'm mostly wondering is, does that amount of hops make sense here? I've never brewed with honey before, so I'm not sure how perceived bitterness works when honey is used as a big chunk of fermentables.

ScaerCroe
Oct 6, 2006
IRRITANT
That sounds pretty good, crazy. On paper at least, haha.

I have been thinking of doing a Jolly Pumpkin-esque Calabaza Blanca/Sour Witbier for awhile now. I would probably brew an Imperial Wit, mash hot with some oats and stuff for the bugs to work on, then pitch onto my JP bugs for a year of delicious brewing.

I brewed Jamil's wit a few years ago, and thought it was the best I had ever had (commercial or otherwise). A scaled up version of that, perhaps?

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

Welcome to sulfur city. I'm still trying to get the farts out of my cider. :smith:

Honestly, if you really want - either use your o2 stone (if you have one), flip the gas/liquid lines on a keg, or sanitize a tube and give it hell with some co2. Friend of mine in Maine does industrial soda/beer/food stuff and suggested to another friend that he blow co2 through a sulfur ridden Berliner. He explained the science, but I'm too dumb to remember.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

crazyfish posted:

So in 'crazyfish comes up with a completely stupid idea' kind of recipes, I've decided to do a braggot witbier, using orange blossom honey to get some of the orangey characteristics that are so classic in a witbier. Is my idea completely dumb? Here's an off-the-cuff recipe I came up with based on a recipe I've done in the past: http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/witbraggot What I'm mostly wondering is, does that amount of hops make sense here? I've never brewed with honey before, so I'm not sure how perceived bitterness works when honey is used as a big chunk of fermentables.

My only concern is that honey itself tends to have an incredibly mild flavor in beers, so expecting to get any orange out of it seems even less likely.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My only concern is that honey itself tends to have an incredibly mild flavor in beers, so expecting to get any orange out of it seems even less likely.

You just need to use braggot levels of honey. I used 3lbs in my last honey ale. (5gal batch)

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

crazyfish posted:

Yes, that amount of hops is fine--I think orange blossom honey won't leave quite as much orange flavor as you're looking for though, it's pretty subtle by itself even though it lends a lot of honey flavor compared to say, clover honey. I found the most impact on honey flavor was using it at bottling, that always leaves a noticeable flavor.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nostratic posted:

3.75lb of liquid extract isn't enough for a regular five-gallon batch, but it is too much for a one-gallon batch. Google some extract recipes to estimate what kind of batch size would be reasonable for that amount of extract.

Anyway, if it is hopped already then all you have to do is add water, heat it to boiling to pasteurize, let it cool, then put it in a jug with the yeast to make some perfectly drinkable, but probably unexciting, beer.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

hellfaucet posted:

Welcome to sulfur city. I'm still trying to get the farts out of my cider. :smith:
If it's not aging out you could try bringing your cider into contact with clean unoxidized copper in some way. Slow stirring a few days in a row with a copper whisk, racking through a hose with a piece of copper pipe attached to it, straining through a copper wool pad, etc. It works but don't overdo it, copper in solution does have a taste.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

withak posted:

3.75lb of liquid extract isn't enough for a regular five-gallon batch, but it is too much for a one-gallon batch. Google some extract recipes to estimate what kind of batch size would be reasonable for that amount of extract.

Anyway, if it is hopped already then all you have to do is add water, heat it to boiling to pasteurize, let it cool, then put it in a jug with the yeast to make some perfectly drinkable, but probably unexciting, beer.
I just finished brewing my first batch of home brew with a Coopers IPA Kit similar to what he has. The process (and outcome) was exactly as you described.

I don't remember exactly how big mine was but it was perfectly sized for a 5gal batch.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Just don't put it in the boil and you can get better flavors from it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh yeah, this cant be stressed enough.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Angry Grimace posted:

Godammit I wish I had known that about 48 hours ago.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Godammit I wish I had known that about 48 hours ago.

You're cooking off mostly aroma, but some flavors likely went with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Oh well. It was a last minute replacement for corn sugar and candi syrup, and I put 2 pounds in it, so I'll just take it as a lesson learned for next time.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Angry Grimace posted:

I was planning on adding the honey either at top-up time or at high kraeusen, I haven't decided yet.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh well. It was a last minute replacement for corn sugar and candi syrup, and I put 2 pounds in it, so I'll just take it as a lesson learned for next time.

If you're just using instead of sugar, then you have nothing to lose my friend.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Marshmallow Blue posted:

If you're just using instead of sugar, then you have nothing to lose my friend.

Exactly. I'm doing Northern Brewer's Saison de Noel, and accidentally dumped the D-90 Candi syrup into a batch of WH Honey Porter I was doing before it. So I just kind of shrugged, bought two pounds of honey, and dumped that in there instead. Whatever happens I'm sure it will come out delicious.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Honey in the boil has the same effect to my taste buds as pure sugar. If you want it to taste like anything, just put it in the fermenter. Is there a risk of infection? Yes, but there's a risk of infection opening the bucket up for any reason. Honey isn't really a hospitable environment for beer-infections. Its sort of like hops in that way in that its theoretically possible to get an infection but I put 9 oz. of dry hops in a 5 gallon batch recently and nothing happened and I dry hop 1/2 of the batches I make.

On my last beer I made an invert syrup substitute by using 1/2 a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses in a big jar of Lyle's Golden. I'm curious what the actual difference is in flavor between invert syrup, honey and candi syrup. Invert sugar No. 1 (which has very little color) is supposedly very similar on a molecular level as honey is, so I wouldn't even bother making it and just use honey or a jar of Lyle's (although Lyle's is 4-5 bucks a jar, so probably not). But a lot of invert syrups are boiled for a long time to develop some caramel flavors. I'm not sure how similar this is to the candi syrup process, although you commonly hear people claim that the darker candi syrups have some kind of secret technique that can't be reproduced at home.

I'm actually considering doing a double batch of the 1928 Barclay Perkins IPA again (which has about a pound of Invert No. 3) and seeing if I notice any apparent difference between Invert No. 3 (which you can make at home) and a pound of D-80.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are worried about infection then you can add the honey sometime after the boil, during cooling, at a point when the wort is still hot enough to pasteurize. You might still lose some flavor/aroma that way but not nearly as much as if you boiled it for any length of time.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
My girlfriend has been craving Duvel so we're brewing 10 gallons of a Belgian golden strong next weekend (just pilsner/sugar/noble hops). I want ferment 5 gallons of it normally, and have some fun with the other 5 gallons (possibly split it into two 2.5gal experiments). Anyone have any fun ideas?

We've been dying to do a lime/mint mojito themed beer. I think this clean and boozy base might work nicely for that sort of thing rather than a wheat or something more traditional.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

My girlfriend has been craving Duvel so we're brewing 10 gallons of a Belgian golden strong next weekend (just pilsner/sugar/noble hops). I want ferment 5 gallons of it normally, and have some fun with the other 5 gallons (possibly split it into two 2.5gal experiments). Anyone have any fun ideas?

We've been dying to do a lime/mint mojito themed beer. I think this clean and boozy base might work nicely for that sort of thing rather than a wheat or something more traditional.

Habaneros. Maybe even combine that with the Duvel Tripel Hop thing, like do a dry hop of something unusual (e.g. Sorachi or Citra, which is what they used the last couple of years) and then add some peppers.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 6, 2013

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think next time I'll just add honey straight to primary. It can't be any less sterile than most of the other stuff I do.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Take it up a notch. Rack it into a 5 gal carboy full of nagas. Don't use a better bottle for this, it might melt.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

:getin:

Any suggestions on how many to throw in (I like it hot-hot)? I'm not going to bother with a tincture.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

fullroundaction posted:

Any suggestions on how many to throw in (I like it hot-hot)? I'm not going to bother with a tincture.

I used one full habenero including seeds in a gallon of mead and it came out pretty drat hot.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

fullroundaction posted:

A good way to test this is to get a growler of beer from a local brewer and just put in half a habanero and see what you think about the effect, then scale it up as appropriate.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!
For those interested in PET carboys, Midwest is doing BOGO for two days:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pages/buy-a-pet-get-a-pet-carboy-offer.html

I don't know what Midwest charges to ship these babies, but I bought two when Northern Brewer had a similar special, and it cost me about $36, shipped to SoCal, for the pair.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Was just about to order and stir starter, only site I could find that sold it internationally charged $140 for postage from US to UK. I refuse to pay that in postage, I really can't DIY make one myself but god drat any idea where I could get one thats in EU or not silly international postage price? The only ones I come across in EU are the lab ones which also heat and are abit expensive. :smith:

Edit: Been told making one yourself isn't as hard as some people like to make out, anyone got a sound guide to making one? Also got it lined up so I'll be doing the Mish Mash brew on Tuesday (12th), and my first SMaSH on wednesday (13th). :toot:

Fluo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2013

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Going to brew a beer this weekend! Here's what I have:

1 pack of dark belgian candi syrup
28 pounds of pilsner malt
3 pounds of flaked rye
3 oz of cascade hops
3 oz of centennial hops
3 oz of nugget hops
1 pack scottish ale yeast wyeast 1728

Probably won't use all of that because I don't know if my mash tun can handle all that and it doesn't quite need 9 oz of hops I don't think. The goal is to have a beer somewhat similar to HotD Fred which is one of my favorites. Fellow goon and awesome homebrewer Bigdee4933 is gonna help out! I tried a bottle of his American Wild Ale recently and it was superb.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you can manage to brew beer I'm pretty sure you can glue a magnet to a PC fan hooked up to a cellphone charger. Any reasonably proportioned rare earth magnet should suffice so don't feel that you need to find a hard drive magnet. This is arts and crafts levels of DIY here and it costs hardly anything if you manage to gently caress it all up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Sublimer posted:

Going to brew a beer this weekend! Here's what I have:

1 pack of dark belgian candi syrup
28 pounds of pilsner malt
3 pounds of flaked rye
3 oz of cascade hops
3 oz of centennial hops
3 oz of nugget hops
1 pack scottish ale yeast wyeast 1728

Probably won't use all of that because I don't know if my mash tun can handle all that and it doesn't quite need 9 oz of hops I don't think. The goal is to have a beer somewhat similar to HotD Fred which is one of my favorites. Fellow goon and awesome homebrewer Bigdee4933 is gonna help out! I tried a bottle of his American Wild Ale recently and it was superb.
You definitely can't fit 32 pounds in a 10 gallon cooler, but if its bigger than 50 qt. you might be able to by mashing thick. The most annoying thing to me about filling up the tun is that I batch sparge, which requires multiple batches of water when I mash thick to accommodate a big grist.

I don't think you'd need 9 oz., but Scottish yeast isn't particularly attenuative, either, right? The only other tip I'd give is to give it a lot of time to convert. A lot of people lose efficiency on big beers, but I seem to do okay by just giving it 90-120 minutes of mash time.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Anyone ever brewed using tea olive flowers (osmanthus fragrans) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmanthus_fragrans ? My coworker gave me some and they smell amazing, kind of sweet and citrusy. I was thinking they could be interesting dry hopped in a wit or saison.

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Galler posted:

If you can manage to brew beer I'm pretty sure you can glue a magnet to a PC fan hooked up to a cellphone charger. Any reasonably proportioned rare earth magnet should suffice so don't feel that you need to find a hard drive magnet. This is arts and crafts levels of DIY here and it costs hardly anything if you manage to gently caress it all up.

Ok cheers man, how I originally had it explained to me was I'd have to do tons of wiring up to transformers and such which just made my face melt.

This seems so doable, now just got to find a box of somekind! :D Thanks!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Galler posted:

I did this and it totally worked. The crazy thing is that it is hooked up to a 5V power supply, which doesn't have a dial on it and it (barely) stirs 3.5+ liter starters. I used a sheet of clear vinyl from the hardware store as the "shelf" to hold the starter flask on the fan.

DO THIS and buy something else cool for the money you saved.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

withak posted:

Looks like people are generally doing 5 gallon batches, with the following (or similar) recipes:

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter
2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt
250g Of Sugar/dex
Dry hopped 20g Fuggles

Any suggestions for improving it?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Fluo posted:

There should be some screw holes that you can put screws into on the corner of that fan. Screw some screws in that hole, sticking out tall enough to where you can put some clear vinyl or plastic sheet on top of and then put the flask and starter on top of that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Fluo posted:

Ok cheers man, how I originally had it explained to me was I'd have to do tons of wiring up to transformers and such which just made my face melt.
Yeah, ideally you would want a 12 volt power supply but a PC fan will take a wide range of voltages without a problem since all we need it do do is spin. The cheapest and easiest way to do it would be to check any of the power adapters you might have that go to old electronics you don't care about and find one between 9-12 volts output (again, ideally, but as LaserWash pointed out even 5 volts can do the trick). Might want 5-9 volts, see LaserWash 's post later on. Hack the end off and connect up the wires to the fan.
Or by the correct female end and wire the fan to that.

Fluo posted:

LaserWash's idea is perfectly acceptable, but if you want an actual box then a cheap option for this kind of thing is a 'project box' (google it, they are seriously just called project boxes) which is a plastic box of varying size which should be available at any kind of electronics/hobby shop kinda place.

Galler fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost

Nostratic posted:

Looks like people are generally doing 5 gallon batches, with the following (or similar) recipes:

1.7kg Coopers English Bitter
2 x 500g Cooper Light Dry Malt
250g Of Sugar/dex
Dry hopped 20g Fuggles

Any suggestions for improving it?

Apart from going to all malt extract (ie. no sugar/sugar malt brew enhancer blends) or using a handful of steeping grains or playing with the hops, I think that's as far as you can go. Kit and kilo is still a bit of a thing in Aus, and there's some more resources at http://aussiehomebrewer.com/.