Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Can someone tell me how Pokemon Go is any different from birdwatching or trainspotting, thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
more/less padophilia.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ElGroucho posted:

Can someone tell me how Pokemon Go is any different from birdwatching or trainspotting, thanks

Neither are performed by millennials, so it's harder to make fun of the current generation for them.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ElGroucho posted:

Old people don't understand kids these days

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

burexas.irom posted:

So the Kickass Torrents owner just got raided by the feds in Poland. The piece of evidence that connects him to the accounts and proves he's the owner: a legal purchase via Itunes. Lesson here kids, never buy digital media legally.

Oh well, another site bites the dust.

You'd think people by now would have learned how to keep their identities separate if they're going to do something like run a torrent site.

I feel so drat old that I remember the time when "don't let anyone know who you are on the internet" was just what you did as common sense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eagy7Y9QVgo

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Malachite_Dragon posted:

And here I am with my perfectly good phone that still works perfectly fine but is too old a model to run Pokemon Go :negative:

I've got an HTC m8 and it doesn't work on my phone either :(

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Hyperlynx posted:

I've got an HTC m8 and it doesn't work on my phone either :(

Runs on my wife's M8. I don't know how well, though.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TotalLossBrain posted:

Runs on my wife's M8 so?

It's not her friend man, it's just a machine.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ElGroucho posted:

People doing the other two activities are interacting with real things and not fictional characters in a game that will cease to exist as soon as everyone else stops playing the game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
how dare people have fun in ways i don't agree with :reject:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Wade Wilson posted:

People doing the other two activities are interacting with real things and not fictional characters in a game that will cease to exist as soon as everyone else stops playing the game.

Whether or not those birds or trains exist at all is irrelevant once they've written them down in their pokedex logbook. It's the same stupid poo poo, I'd argue that Pokemon Go is better simply because you're doing something a little more interactive than playing a one sided game of hide and seek with random animals/objects.

Great, now I'm defending the game.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Wade Wilson posted:

Those birds will die. Those trains will rust or stop running. Nothing is forever. Let the people enjoy their game.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If you're interacting with the birds or trains you're probably doing it wrong.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If you're interacting with the birds or trains you're probably doing it wrong.

You usually only get to interact with the train once.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Outrail posted:

It's not her friend man, it's just a machine.

Speaking of having fun in ways I don't agree with, this dumb joke made me laugh like an rear end in a top hat.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

ElGroucho posted:

trainspotting
I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-DMP_z_rs

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Lotta pokemaster itt

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Semprini posted:

I'm sure this has been posted before, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su-DMP_z_rs

I thought it was going to be that video of the guy who basically orgasms at the sight of a rare train car. I guess that's not schadenfreude though.

Pokémon Go is exactly the same as this kind of thing. Its going to places you may not normally go to, and waiting for something to happen that most people don't give a poo poo about. There is no added value to you as a person because you've seen this train car or that species of bird. The only advantage is that it at least gets you out of the house and involves maybe some mild exercise, and the same can be said of Pokémon Go.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Jul 22, 2016

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nlF-3NQNJQ

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Any Pokemon Go stories coming out of the middle east? Either massive potential for sad stories or impromptu ceasefires when a bug wanders past.

If I was running game development I'd stick the really rare/valuable Pokemon out in the most desolate hard to reach places to really encourage some adventure.

Pitcairn Island and solitary rocks in the middle of the Indian ocean, up in the Arctic, tops of mountains, active war zones, middle of the pentagon/white house lawn, the Chernobyl reactor. Have some fun with it.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Outrail posted:

If I was running game development I'd stick the really rare/valuable Pokemon out in the most desolate hard to reach places to really encourage some adventure.

In the states? You'd take massive PR hits for white people dying in the desert or falling off cliffs or some poo poo because they went into the wilderness with no equipment.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

ElGroucho posted:

Lotta pokemaster itt

Let me guess, your mom thinks you're cool?

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Roro posted:

Let me guess, your mom thinks you're cool?

No my mom is a Bulbasaur

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
So this might be fitting the Schadenfreude thread. In Denmark it recently was discovered that over 5 million Personal ID number, the majority of the the country population, was accidentally send to the Chinese Visa Agency.

On two un-encrypted CD's.

And it happened in February, 2015.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

How do you do that accidentally? I can see forgetting to encrypt something because of carelessness, but why collect all those numbers on CDs in the first place, and who would you normally send that stuff to that it could accidentally end up being shipped to China?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

ScotchDK posted:

So this might be fitting the Schadenfreude thread. In Denmark it recently was discovered that over 5 million Personal ID number, the majority of the the country population, was accidentally send to the Chinese Visa Agency.

On two un-encrypted CD's.

And it happened in February, 2015.

"accidentally"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
It's ok the government here in the States lost all our personnel data to totally not Chinese hackers, just to hackers who happened to be Chinese.

ScotchDK
Aug 14, 2008

mmmh, smooth...
Well, it happens when somehow a special delivery from the State Serum Institute was supposed to be delivered by the Danish Postal Service to the Danish Statistic Database, but for some reason was given to the Chinese Visa Application Centre instead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Outrail posted:

Any Pokemon Go stories coming out of the middle east? Either massive potential for sad stories or impromptu ceasefires when a bug wanders past.

Not Middle East but I read an article earlier this week about PG being a problem in Eastern Europe where kids are wandering into minefields left over from the 90s.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ElGroucho posted:

Bird watchers and trainspotters aren't doing their "hobby" while driving a car on the interstate or trespassing on private property like autistic dipshits?

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
On topic both as schadenfreude and as being about Pokemon Go:

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/21/politics/pokemon-go-state-department/

You can Ctrl+F for Pokemon in here too:

https://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2016/07/260371.htm

Edit: poo poo, already posted, my bad. :(

Snicker-Snack has a new favorite as of 21:38 on Jul 22, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Wasabi the J posted:

It's ok the government here in the States lost all our personnel data to totally not Chinese hackers, just to hackers who happened to be Chinese.

You're leaving out the best parts of this. The personnel data is directly connected to anyone holding a security clearance and that means it's a lot of very personal data not just about that person but also about lots of people associated with them -friends, family, coworkers.
This breach was discovered during a cybersecurity vendor's demonstration onsite and it had been in place for nearly a year at that point. I would pay to have been in that room as it unfolded.

I work at a National Lab and so I work with clearance holders. I got to see the letters they were sent post-breach (alongside with 1 year of identity protection lol) and they were not pretty at all. Paraphrasing:

"Sorry we lost your data. Chinese government stole it, please be very aware of any new friends, any new contacts, offers, phone calls you don't recognize, emails, phone hangups etc etc etc plz watch your back"

The Schadenfreude is that the paranoid assholes responsible for needling your relatives and friends when you get a clearance lost all of that data because they are loving incompetent.
I refuse frequent requests I get a clearance. gently caress that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

TotalLossBrain posted:

You're leaving out the best parts of this. The personnel data is directly connected to anyone holding a security clearance and that means it's a lot of very personal data not just about that person but also about lots of people associated with them -friends, family, coworkers.
This breach was discovered during a cybersecurity vendor's demonstration onsite and it had been in place for nearly a year at that point. I would pay to have been in that room as it unfolded.

I work at a National Lab and so I work with clearance holders. I got to see the letters they were sent post-breach (alongside with 1 year of identity protection lol) and they were not pretty at all. Paraphrasing:

"Sorry we lost your data. Chinese government stole it, please be very aware of any new friends, any new contacts, offers, phone calls you don't recognize, emails, phone hangups etc etc etc plz watch your back"

The Schadenfreude is that the paranoid assholes responsible for needling your relatives and friends when you get a clearance lost all of that data because they are loving incompetent.
I refuse frequent requests I get a clearance. gently caress that.

They gave them a free year of bargain bin "identity protection" so they really made up for it.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Outrail posted:

If it was one on one with a fresh bull I might see some sort of man vs beast style thing but it's so handicapped by the end. Was hoping for a goring the while time.

You should go to a rodeo, the bulls are much bigger, selected for meanness and strength, and the poor bastards on their backs have no weapon but their own reflexes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aun8CpmwXhE

And a lot of 'em have really lovely reflexes due to being bulled in the head so much. Note that the vests aren't Western fashion; they're fuckin' Kevlar. You know it's a good man vs. beast sport when the man has to wear a bulletproof vest and most choose to wear hockey helmets.

Also, remember that five of the bull's six ends are pointy -- they really want to dance upon the cowboy's kidneys with their pointy little hooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIGCwHG_LY

Outrail posted:

Pitcairn Island and solitary rocks in the middle of the Indian ocean, up in the Arctic, tops of mountains, active war zones, middle of the pentagon/white house lawn, the Chernobyl reactor. Have some fun with it.

There are some only reachable by boat (only like a mile offshore, within kayak distance). I like your idea, though, it's add a new "first ____" to Everest. Also, conversely, think of the poor Pitcairn Islanders who have a ton of Missingnos and NOTHING ELSE.

Actually, I'm not sure Pitcairners even have mobile phones, given that all 56 or so of 'em (of which six -- the doctor, police officer, and governor, and their spouses -- are temporary residents, not natives) are within shouting distance of each other on that tiny Godforsaken rock in the middle of nowhere.

Also there is a gym on the border between the two Koreas; it's right next to one of the most cellphoned countries on Earth, but you can't get to it because one side or the other will shoot/landmine you.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Delivery McGee posted:

You should go to a rodeo, the bulls are much bigger, selected for meanness and strength, and the poor bastards on their backs have no weapon but their own reflexes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aun8CpmwXhE

And a lot of 'em have really lovely reflexes due to being bulled in the head so much. Note that the vests aren't Western fashion; they're fuckin' Kevlar. You know it's a good man vs. beast sport when the man has to wear a bulletproof vest and most choose to wear hockey helmets.

Also, remember that five of the bull's six ends are pointy -- they really want to dance upon the cowboy's kidneys with their pointy little hooves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKIGCwHG_LY

There are some only reachable by boat (only like a mile offshore, within kayak distance). I like your idea, though, it's add a new "first ____" to Everest. Also, conversely, think of the poor Pitcairn Islanders who have a ton of Missingnos and NOTHING ELSE.

Actually, I'm not sure Pitcairners even have mobile phones, given that all 56 or so of 'em (of which six -- the doctor, police officer, and governor, and their spouses -- are temporary residents, not natives) are within shouting distance of each other on that tiny Godforsaken rock in the middle of nowhere.

Also there is a gym on the border between the two Koreas; it's right next to one of the most cellphoned countries on Earth, but you can't get to it because one side or the other will shoot/landmine you.

Most people who have never seen bill riding live will understand how loving fast and big those things are. Those riders are usually cornfed fuckers built like defensive ends, and bulls throw 'em around like dogs with a sock.

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Outrail posted:

Now I want to see a modern reboot of All Quiet On The Western Front where everyone puts down their guns and bombs and plays Pokemon Go. :3:

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Bird watchers and trainspotters aren't doing their "hobby" while driving a car on the interstate or trespassing on private property like autistic dipshits?

Kids been ringing your doorbell and running away again grandad?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

SiKboy posted:

Kids been ringing your doorbell and running away again grandad?

Something tells me said kids like that end up getting pasted by playing chicken on Railway tracks, so unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Wasabi the J posted:

Most people who have never seen bill riding live will understand how loving fast and big those things are. Those riders are usually cornfed fuckers built like defensive ends, and bulls throw 'em around like dogs with a sock.

:lol: not really, most bullriders are 5'6" or so and scrawny -- if they were any taller their feet would drag on the ground. I mean, they still have the physique of Adonis, just bantamweight. More like a wide receiver.

And, as Garth Brooks points out in his rewrite/cover of Aerosmith's song about heroin, it's more an addiction that a job:

quote:

He takes one last breath
And time turns inside out
Then the gate busts open to the world he dreams about

"Time turns inside-out" is probably the best way to describe it. I've never rode a bull, but I've poked my lens through the bars of the next gate over in my newspaper days, and yeah, sucks to be that guy.

Ignore the lovely video, this is the only youtube of the song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrYFA7XXmE

Edit: I've met Deion "Prime Time" Sanders, no way in hell he's over 6' as he claims. Maybe 5'10". Also he's terrible at basketball (I met him at a charity hoops event run by my hometown retired NBA star.)

Chillbro Baggins has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jul 22, 2016