Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Mauler 2p update: there is nothing redeeming about this robot. Do Not Buy

Surprise Giraffe fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Surprise Giraffe posted:

there is nothing redeeming about MWO. Do Not Buy

That is good advice.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

Exmond posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/59jnru/mechwarrior_online_devs_steal_world_championship/

I know its reddit but heh, looks like the ESPORTS thing isn't working out for MechWarrior Online

People should take this more e-seriously. OH WOE TO E-SPORTING.

Is there a "wet fart" forum emoji? Asking for a friend.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I guess sometimes dreams do come true. Top damage vindicator-1AA, dear god i love this lovely mech.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Being the most heavily quirked mech in the game has its advantages.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Now get ace of spades in it

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
This will unironically be my next mech purchase.
DWF-S
Praise be unto Hammertime.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's gonna be tough, UAC20s ghost heat starting at two, and three would just be awful. Maybe if you never double tapped them, but otherwise tap + double tap + waiting for the ghost heat interval is bad. LB20s don't ghost heat, might be more workable.

e: you did make me go build http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=261&l=260ff953f745642d58d684e51c82fb35e8ea5fa8 though which looks like hella fun and I will be trying soon.

aniviron fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 27, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Noir89 posted:

I guess sometimes dreams do come true. Top damage vindicator-1AA, dear god i love this lovely mech.

Now do that in a Phoenix Hawk. Any variant will be fine.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I did, my phone camera's just too crappy to capture it. Something something lighting conditions (doesn't even do a good job picking out the gray shading on the skull :saddowns: )

Here's a shot with slightly better lighting conditions, where the flash wasn't going off. Nothing destroys detail like flash photography.

Yeah, I'm beginning to learn that when working on my own minis.
For my part I prefer using a black wash because it has the effect of making the minis look grimy and dirty or oily, which to me is a reasonable state of mechitude.
If I ever get around to painting the warhansa minis (I have quite the backlog), I'll post the results somewhere.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Skoll posted:

I've been gaming for two decades, I have no idea who those teams are.

I think theyre all League of Legends teams, and the only ones ive ever heard of at that.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

mcjomar posted:

Yeah, I'm beginning to learn that when working on my own minis.
For my part I prefer using a black wash because it has the effect of making the minis look grimy and dirty or oily, which to me is a reasonable state of mechitude.
If I ever get around to painting the warhansa minis (I have quite the backlog), I'll post the results somewhere.

From someone who wasted 2 decades of his life on miniature assembly/painting: Thin down your wash a bit and add a very small amount of dishwasher. Like 1 generous drop per 3 soaked brushes of wash.
Wash tends to be very liquid, and thus tends to "drop up" or reform into drops. This clusters the wash in some locations (usually larger patches of even surface where no recesses for the wash to run into are nearby) while drawing it out from others. A drop of dishwasher in the wash helps berak the waters surface tension and allwos much smoother shading with less "smear" on the even surfaces. Also produces less of a glossy overall look.

Also drybrush moderatly before washing and very smoothly afterwards (again to tone down gloss) after allowing the wash to dry out completly.
Shade white parts with either light grey wash (for a dirty white look) or light brown wash (for a sun-bleached tone).

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I think theyre all League of Legends teams, and the only ones ive ever heard of at that.

Which is a good reason to completely ignore them.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Azuth0667 posted:

Which is a good reason to completely ignore them.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
League is sometimes more fun than this game.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

armchairyoda posted:

People should take this more e-seriously. OH WOE TO E-SPORTING.

Is there a "wet fart" forum emoji? Asking for a friend.

Heh, well its a weird legal thing. Pretty much PGI took team logos and started selling them, without asking the team or giving profits to the team. So PGI could get sued for not asking for permission (Copyright law i think) and the teams that blatantly ripped off other logos could get asked to stop using the logo.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Artificer posted:

League is sometimes more fun than this game.

True however the pubbies in lol are worse like to the power of 1000 worse.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Azuth0667 posted:

True however the pubbies in lol are worse like to the power of 1000 worse.

Worse, but I wouldnt go that far. This game has shadowcat pilots.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Exmond posted:

Heh, well its a weird legal thing. Pretty much PGI took team logos and started selling them, without asking the team or giving profits to the team. So PGI could get sued for not asking for permission (Copyright law i think) and the teams that blatantly ripped off other logos could get asked to stop using the logo.

I like the one that's an iron cross mixed with a Cameron Star, it's always nice to be able to pick out the Wehraboos.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Artificer posted:

Ehh last time I played I was gold and yeah they are way worse than any shadowcat pilot.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Turns out :pgi: was in the right with the tryhard logos, etc.

Tryhards get owned so it's still a win in my book.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Artificer posted:

I admit: I own two ShadowCats, they both have not been mastered. I did use them to snipe though. On the other hand: If the match is lost I just go in and shoot guns.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Tank Boy Ken posted:

I admit: I own two ShadowCats, they both have not been mastered. I did use them to snipe though. On the other hand: If the match is lost I just go in and shoot guns.

ShadowCats are okay when not played by a stooge. They also make grognan lose his mind at pubbies which is never not funny.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I mentioned earlier that the Warhansa King Crab has some minor issues, so I figured I'd also show the way to fix those issues. I can't recommend it for new modelers, but if you're at all familiar with two-part epoxy those issues are easy enough to fix.

It's somewhat difficult to see via camera, but the open claws of the King Crab are extremely thin, and holes have formed in the material where the resin couldn't properly run into the mold. These are so thin I suspect this is likely endemic to the King Crab. Fortunately, Warhansa includes a couple of closed claws which are solid, so if you get one good claw you can use it and a closed claw to give the model a bit more dynamism.

Unfortunately, both of mine were bad (one of the guns even has a bubble in it that I have to fill). I didn't buy a King Crab to not show off the AC/20s, drat it!

So this is how you fix it: with two-part epoxy (or "green stuff" if you're familiar with that term). I filled the hollow interior of the King Crab's claws, and since they're an area that will be easy to sand, I slightly over-filled them so I can sand away the excess later.

That green stuff you see inside the resin? That's not on the exterior. That's peeking through the interior, which should tell you how thin the resin there is. You can also see a little green on the barrel of the AC/20 where I filled a hole. The other claw has a much smaller hole I'm not going to attempt to fill, it will likely vanish once the model's primed and painted (and if it doesn't it's so small I don't care).

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Artificer posted:

In League they gently caress up your game and if you leave you get reported and your account gets judged over by an imbecile player-council and extremely likely probated.
In MWO i can core myself, quit and immediatly get a new match in a new mech.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Yolomon Wayne posted:

In League they gently caress up your game and if you leave you get reported and your account gets judged over by an imbecile player-council and extremely likely probated.
In MWO i can core myself, quit and immediatly get a new match in a new mech.

And you'd still register as an average performing gamer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Exmond posted:

I'd like to see one of them sue PGI only to subsequently get in legal trouble themselves from whoever made the copy and pasted bits of their team logo, everyone getting snarled in a 5 year court case.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

I'd like to see one of them sue PGI only to subsequently get in legal trouble themselves from whoever made the copy and pasted bits of their team logo, everyone getting snarled in a 5 year court case.

PGI had it in their TOS that they could do this and the person complaining didnt read the fine print. There is no lawsuit that can or will happen.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skoll posted:

PGI had it in their TOS that they could do this and the person complaining didnt read the fine print. There is no lawsuit that can or will happen.

:rip:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Video game TOSes are routinely thrown out by even the most anti-consumer courts on the planet, though.

As for the House of Lords logo which rips off Harvard, I would assume that falls under fair use. Or normally would- when it was being sold, I imagine it wouldn't.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Did Transverse: The Scam ever have a "game" logo? That would be a good mech decal.

Someone claim Transverstite Kerensky if it's free.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

Video game TOSes are routinely thrown out by even the most anti-consumer courts on the planet, though.

You're beating a dead horse at this point because this is something no one would go to court over. Reportedly, no one else except this one individual even gave a poo poo and the person he consulted wasn't even a copyright lawyer if I remember correctly.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Skoll posted:

You're beating a dead horse at this point because this is something no one would go to court over. Reportedly, no one else except this one individual even gave a poo poo and the person he consulted wasn't even a copyright lawyer if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't be surprised if :pgi: horrifically hosed up their TOS. It would be funny if a bunch of these esport people sued and :pgi: banned them in response because TOS.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Heh.

Greetings MechWarriors,

The servers will be undergoing a brief period of downtime October 27th at 3PM PDT (10PM UTC) to perform actions related to the removal of certain Regional Finalist Supporter Pack and MWOWC Finalist content, full details of which are outlined in our post here.

• Regional Finalist Team Emblem Hanging Items will be removed from all player and Finalist accounts.
• Regional Finalist Team Emblem Decals will be removed from all Finalist accounts.
• A full removal of the content files themselves will be completed in the November patch, unless a hot-fix or other update is required prior to that date.

As outlined in the post linked above, all Regional Finalist Supporter Pack purchases are being refunded in full.
However, the other items included with the Regional Finalist Supporter Packs are not being removed.

Thank you for your patience, MechWarriors. We will get the servers back up as soon as possible.

Also apparently Energy Draw has been tabled until further notice.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
2 MINUTES TILL SERVER GOES DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE!

Kodiak: Better turn around and hide behind that corner!
Maddog: Better back up and lurm more!
Shadow Cat: Better jumpjet up that mountain and snipe with large lasers!

loving people.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Yolomon Wayne posted:

loving people.

Hands down best match I've ever had in this game was 4min till maintenance. All 24 of us facecharged into the huge open area below theta on mining colony and brawed it out like kings. So much fun.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

loving people.

You're the one that insists on playing with pubbies over goons :colbert:.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

You're the one that insists on playing with pubbies over goons :colbert:.

He thinks we're mean.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Skoll posted:

He thinks we're mean.

Well, we DO have a tendency to make the pubbies lose their loving minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Skoll posted:

He thinks we're mean.

Rysithusiku posted:

Well, we DO have a tendency to make the pubbies lose their loving minds

We're friendly with each other and chill pubbies but, anyone other than that is fair game for shenanigans. Pubbies losing their loving minds over inane stuff will never not be funny.

E: Also MWO is full of terrible pubbies so you'll find chill ones as often as a moon tide happens.

• Locked thread