Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

display tech question: since it's an oled, am i actually saving battery life by sticking to the original aspect ratio rather than stretching the picture (since there's a lot of black)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Theoretically, though the savings wouldn't be..much I don't think.

Also stretching images is a hate crime.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Retirement is a bitch huh

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1165978842995052544?s=21

Note: do not downgrade if you use this! You can cause a soft brick to your vita by using modoru with this cfw on 3.71. Flow is aware of this so he's (probably) working on it.

Ignis fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 26, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

flow is such a hero

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ignis posted:

Retirement is a bitch huh

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1165978842995052544?s=21

Note: do not downgrade if you use this! You can cause a soft brick to your vita by using modoru with this cfw on 3.71. Flow is aware of this so he's (probably) working on it.

Do I need to re-hack my Vita if I downgraded to 3.60 using h-encore last month? I'm not sure whether this is just a new entry point or what.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lemon-Lime posted:

Do I need to re-hack my Vita if I downgraded to 3.60 using h-encore last month? I'm not sure whether this is just a new entry point or what.

yeah this is just for 3.71 users.

i realize theflow is probably mostly doing these for the challenge, and it's entirely his prerogative to release them as he sees fit, but i think it would've been a good idea to space them out a bit. this'll only be relevant to the few people that upgraded their firmware within the few weeks between 3.71 and (the no doubt forthcoming) 3.72.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

any recommended sub $10 vita grips? i get a bit of a rash holding the vita too long. my skin must be sensitive to one of the materials.

Same question

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

At that price point your only choices are generic Chinese grips, the usual recommendations go well over 30 usd these days. The Aweek ones on Amazon (top sellers for fat grips) are generics, you can find them for cheaper on eBay if you want to try them out. Just make sure to check first if the grip is compatible with your model.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Sony speedrunning patches, 3.72 is live now :laffo:

e: patch is confirmed to kill the permissions to run the bitter smile demo needed for theflow's new exploit. According to Silica, it does not patch Chovy-Sign, the recently released exploit to run PSP games on 3.71.

Don't update etc etc

Ignis fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Aug 27, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ignis posted:

At that price point your only choices are generic Chinese grips, the usual recommendations go well over 30 usd these days. The Aweek ones on Amazon (top sellers for fat grips) are generics, you can find them for cheaper on eBay if you want to try them out. Just make sure to check first if the grip is compatible with your model.

If the battery pack grip was available for the 1000 at the same price as the 2000 one I wouldn't think twice about getting it.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I wouldn't buy the Nyko just for the batteries (there's a 50/50 chance they'll die after a couple months of use), but the ergonomics of the grip are worth the price alone. Bought mine new for 35 USD+shipping three years ago.

I'd say give those Aweeks a shot, their form factor is pretty similar to the CTA/Nyko and it's just :10bux:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why is Sony even bothering at this point? They stopped selling vitas and they haven’t made a vita game in a long while either iirc

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Because, like printers, the vita itself was never the point, but the after-sale products, the ink cartridges, the games on the psn store.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why is Sony even bothering at this point? They stopped selling vitas and they haven’t made a vita game in a long while either iirc

It looks bad if there's piracy on your system and you do nothing to address it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

It looks bad if there's piracy on your system and you do nothing to address it.

It's a dead console, nobody cares

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

There's still games coming out for it, Sony still makes licensing money off it. I think they care.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Now. Now is the time for Sony to start caring about the Playstation Vita.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Andrast posted:

It's a dead console, nobody cares

As long as you can still purchase games for it, it's not a dead console to Sony or the people that make those games. This isn't like the PS2 where once the physical games stop being shipped the rest of the console's life is based on the used sales and such.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

there's probably an element of keeping up appearances too.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

beyond that, there's another very simple reason:

whenever they patch a vulnerability, they force people like thefl0w to publish another exploit, which might also be present in other sony software

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So for homebrew noobs for myself, we should just

1- not perform a system update (I installed "update blocker" so that should be especially easy)
2- change the spoofed homebrew version number in henkaku settings, if we want to download purchased games or do other PSN-related functions

Is that the gist of it?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

yup, and keep an eye out for further info

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's still games coming out for it, Sony still makes licensing money off it. I think they care.

Nintendo isnt patching the OG Wii for Just Dance 2020, or even the Wii U for that matter

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Ah yes, the Wii, that oft-patched console

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

The vita still has games coming for it (mostly in Japan) and even though they are no longer producing new consoles, cartridges are still being made for the Asian market, so we're not quite at EOL yet.

Minidust posted:

So for homebrew noobs for myself, we should just

1- not perform a system update (I installed "update blocker" so that should be especially easy)
2- change the spoofed homebrew version number in henkaku settings, if we want to download purchased games or do other PSN-related functions

Is that the gist of it?

Yeah, that will basically apply for all future firmware updates (unless there's a major feature introduced in the future, which is highly unlikely). So don't worry and don't update.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

I checked and this is the fastest turnaround on patches in five years, even when the Vita was still technically alive they weren't in such a hurry. Please Sony send the Vi2a and stop teasing me :(

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Liver Disaster posted:

I checked and this is the fastest turnaround on patches in five years, even when the Vita was still technically alive they weren't in such a hurry. Please Sony send the Vi2a and stop teasing me :(

They don';t give a gently caress except to prevent piracy. They haven't cared about the vita since about 4 weeks after it launched

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nintendo isnt patching the OG Wii for Just Dance 2020, or even the Wii U for that matter

The Wii U got a firmware update in June, so..

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Liver Disaster posted:

At this point a Vitwoa would have to be a hell of a machine to go up against the switch

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Ignis posted:

Rinkles posted:

If the battery pack grip was available for the 1000 at the same price as the 2000 one I wouldn't think twice about getting it.

can I get links to both of these? I didn't find then on my own initially

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ignis posted:

Sony speedrunning patches, 3.72 is live now :laffo:

e: patch is confirmed to kill the permissions to run the bitter smile demo needed for theflow's new exploit. According to Silica, it does not patch Chovy-Sign, the recently released exploit to run PSP games on 3.71.

Turns out nah, 3.72 didn't patch it, some dev tried it with a bad NSP or something and theflow just took his word for it. Fair assumption considering how long that exploit has been there, but nope they still didn't patch it and at this point probably won't. hencore just got updated, works fine now.

https://twitter.com/theflow0/status/1166456948876894209

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Herr Tog posted:

can I get links to both of these? I didn't find then on my own initially

here's a 1000 grip, I dunno about battery packs though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handle-Hol...353.m2749.l2649

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

At this point a Vitwoa would have to be a hell of a machine to go up against the switch

Even the wii u sold 13.5mil units, you don't go up against nintendo you just do your thing.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The Wii is extremely weird and has games bundle a lot of the system files it needs on disc instead of storing them on the console, so they very well might have.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

here's a 1000 grip, I dunno about battery packs though:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Handle-Hol...353.m2749.l2649

i totally forgot to mention I need it for a 2000, sorry

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Herr Tog posted:

i totally forgot to mention I need it for a 2000, sorry

Nyko Power Grip

The knockoff version of the Nyko won't charge your Vita but the form is still there and it's got decent reviews on amazon.

The Joetsus are r/vita's favorite if you want the vita for Remote Play. Slim / fat

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Finally bought a used Vita Slim today after years of not being interested in any of its exclusive games (and also owning a pile of PSPs). I probably paid too much for it, but it surprise came with 3.65 so there's that. :toot:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

With the expanded library of a hacked Vita, is there anything close to Diablo available, besides literal Diablo 1 for the PS1?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

With the expanded library of a hacked Vita, is there anything close to Diablo available, besides literal Diablo 1 for the PS1?
Silent Hill: Book of Memories :kheldragar:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

As far as being close to Diablo, from memory there's..

PSP - Untold Legends, Dungeon Explorer
Vita - Dungeon Hunter Alliance, Silent Hill Book of Memories