Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
A) That cheese looks amazing

B) I feel like preserved lemons could take a good role in an all-beet salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I got like a big hunk of meat that looks like stake but "wider"? Any suggestions? It was like 5$ for a kg but I don't mind potentially loving up.

It kinda looks like Beef chuck but has that thick steaklike layer of fat?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
isnt there a label saying what it is? its prolly a rib roast, whereupon you prolly roast it whole

worst case for identification, poke it pretty hard. if it's touch and sinewy, do a low and slow cook. if it's not, you can do a faster cook. this also works in non-grocery meats like someone butchered an animal for you in kazakstan or something. it's the organ meats that can be radically different

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 27, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Raenir Salazar posted:

I got like a big hunk of meat that looks like stake but "wider"? Any suggestions? It was like 5$ for a kg but I don't mind potentially loving up.

It kinda looks like Beef chuck but has that thick steaklike layer of fat?

Can you post a photo of it?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Sounds like maybe a 7 rib roast but could be a “london broil” cut of top round or whatever

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's hard to tell, but that just looks like some burnt-on carbon to me. If so, it's harmless, ignore it.

I just looked again and I can definitely feel my nail go into it, as opposed to a slight raise/bump. These stupid sheet pans. I think it’s because of it has some nonstick coating and I was too rough with it (although I don’t recall being too hard on them). Would these be fine to use if I had a wire baking rack on top? Or because of the chipping I should dump them?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The meat just says meat:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are you sure that's beef? It looks like a boneless center cut pork loin to me. So pork chops, but together.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Internet Explorer posted:

Are you sure that's beef? It looks like a boneless center cut pork loin to me. So pork chops, but together.

I actually have no idea, I asked what kind of meat it was but the guy didn't really understand me, he said I could cut it but that's about all I understood.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Why doesn't love a good mystery meat

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

3 bucks a lb should be pork

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah thats what it is im almost certain

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
What country are you in? That can help identify it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Long pork.

Goddamnit GWS, again?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
wrong color for beef entirely. its pork

sorry if you're muslim or jewish or whatever

the chinese text also says "meat". but the default meat in china is pork

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Bagheera posted:

What country are you in? That can help identify it.

Looks like Quebec

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

That Works posted:

Long pork.

Goddamnit GWS, again?

Well, if we have to.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

alnilam posted:

Looks like Quebec

Yeah Quebec.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

In two weeks’ time, it’s the cultural event of the year. Eurovision is in Sweden this year, and so I want to make Smörgåsbord, with as many parts homemade as possible

What are some good things I can do?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

drat. I was hoping you were Amman or Mumbai or some place where people have dietary restrictions. That would narrow it down. Quebec? My French friend once described French dietary restrictions to me: "If we can see it, we can kill it, and we can eat it." :)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if it's a fully industrialized meat (read: if it comes shrinkwrapped in packages like that), there's only a few options. cows, pigs, chickens, lambs, goat, turkey, buffalo, duck, rabbit. too red (and wrong anatomy) for duck, rabbit, chicken, turkey, not red enough for buffalo, cow, lamb, goat, and therefore its pigs

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Apr 27, 2024

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Raenir Salazar posted:

the recipe calls for pork butt, but you could try making pickled pork and freeze it to keep on hand for for Cajun cooking

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah no religious dietary restrictions for me, so its fine. So the consensus then would be this is probably pork loin? Is there roast like recipes if I'm feeling lazy about slicing it?

e: The first pork roast recipe I googled seems more more involved than I thought, maybe just pork chops is easiest.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 27, 2024

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Brine the pork loin in salt and honey and rosemary and pepper and lemon for awhile and then slap it in some sort of roasting dish and toss in some onion chunks and garlic cloves and loose corn and carrots maybe and olive oil and salt pepper rosemary. Improvise! I dunno what's in your fridge or cabinets. Cover the dish and stuff it in the oven at 350 for awhile and then finish at 425 uncovered to roast the veggies and maybe get a crust on the meat.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Has anyone used algae cooking oil? What's it taste like? I just saw an ad for a specific brand on Instagram and my reaction was "algae oil wtf?" I tried searching around but most of what comes up on Google appear to be ads or random Reddit accounts praising it but not really posting anything substantial.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a completely neutral oil, i couldn't taste any difference from canola

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a completely neutral oil, i couldn't taste any difference from canola

Oh interesting. I thought it would have some kind of flavor like how olive oil does.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Anne Whateley posted:

For me the absolute best roast chicken is made on one of these vertical roasters, to the point where I’ve bought it for a ton of family and friends. Don’t put beer or anything in the bottom, it’s there to collect the drippings. Every bit of skin the whole way around will be the best you’ve ever had. I dry it well, do the wing triangle thing, season, and roast at 450°, time depending on size.

Protip, you’ll need to put the roaster on a pan, and the whole thing will need to go on the bottom rack of your oven. Be smart (unlike me) and remove the top rack before preheating

Thanks for this, I bought one of these and it's a huge time saver. Just stick the chicken on it and stick it in the oven. No spatchcocking, no annoying wire rack, no twine, no flipping the bird halfway through. My only complaint is that it'd be nice if it were narrower so I could put the chicken on upside-down so the legs cook faster that then breasts, but it's still great.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you want this one

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Run-5667-Vertical-Non-Stick/dp/B000I1X4RC/

or to crack open the wishbone and remove it and keep your old one

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Have any of you had a wish from a wishbone actually come true? I haven't ever.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Desert Bus posted:

Have any of you had a wish from a wishbone actually come true? I haven't ever.

Depends on the wish. I wished for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and made myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

obi_ant posted:

Depends on the wish. I wished for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and made myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

Maybe I just wish too hard. Always a sense of relief when the bone doesn't break in my favor and I am free from the burden of having a wish.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
The trick is to wish for roast chicken.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Tendales posted:

The trick is to wish for roast chicken.

The chicken is there for celebration upon a successful wish or to provide solace after a failed wish. Wishing for the chicken that created the wish would do... unwise? things to time and space.

Terrible cooking advice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

If you wish for chicken while breaking a turkey wishbone it allows you to hop to parallel universes.

This is not always advisable.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

That Works posted:

If you wish for chicken while breaking a turkey wishbone it allows you to hop to parallel universes.

This is not always advisable.

The Turducken Paradox

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I mean the alternative is to just do what my mom did when I was growing up: wait until after the break and then decide whether the long or the short piece gets the wish based on what she's holding. What no of course it wasn't the other way last year, it's always been the short piece. Gosh you're an unlucky child, sucks to suck.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
We have a stainless steel pot (Calphalon tri-ply) that my wife was boiling vegetables in -- asparagus, I think -- and she forgot about it, long enough that all the water boiled off. We noticed because of the smell of the food burning. We caught it quickly enough, no fire or anything. Two questions:

- It's stainless. No health concerns or fumes or anything, right?

- We were able to clean the pot with a Brillo pad. Is it still usable? I know a kettle boiling dry means the kettle is done for.

I'm not concerned about cosmetic stuff, and there isn't any really, I just want to make sure there are no other issues. I would think it would be fine as long as it hasn't visibly cracked or anything.

guppy fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 29, 2024

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

guppy posted:

We have a stainless steel pot (Calphalon tri-ply) that my wife was boiling vegetables in -- asparagus, I think -- and she forgot about it, long enough that all the water boiled off. We noticed because of the smell of the food burning. We caught it quickly enough, no fire or anything. Two questions:

- We were able to clean the pot. Is it still usable? I know a kettle boiling dry means the kettle is done for.

I'm not concerned about cosmetic stuff, and there isn't any really, I just want to make sure there are no other issues. I would think it would be fine as long as it hasn't visibly cracked or anything.

It’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

guppy posted:

- We were able to clean the pot with a Brillo pad. Is it still usable? I know a kettle boiling dry means the kettle is done for.

It's fine, but set it down on a countertop (or other known flat surface) to make sure the bottom hasn't warped. It's not likely, especially considering you caught it quickly - but it's worth taking the 5 seconds to check.