Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Vikar Jerome posted:

doesnt even make sense with everything else you hear about tlou2. just tells that dude didnt even watch schindlers list. its uplifting and not a bummer.

It's a superficial argument that showing misery necessarily equates with depth to justify the misery without actually examining the context for the choices to depict that misery.

Reading Cannata's reactions he is basically trying to rationalize "this game made me feel bad, but it's made by important geniuses, so feeling bad must be good for reasons"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Guillermus posted:

This is their master plan to make us all get a PS5.

it's ps5 exclusive?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Rinkles posted:

it's ps5 exclusive?

No but the song uses the 3d audio system on PS5

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's a superficial argument that showing misery necessarily equates with depth to justify the misery without actually examining the context for the choices to depict that misery.

Reading Cannata's reactions he is basically trying to rationalize "this game made me feel bad, but it's made by important geniuses, so feeling bad must be good for reasons"

It reminds me of the, "[x] is the Citzen Kane of video games", because Citizen Kane is often referred to as "the greatest movie of all time", so gaming needs its own 'Citizen Kane' because that's apparently how art works.

However, I do remember that someone saying (and I agree with this) is that Mischief Makers for N64 could technically qualify as the Citizen Kane of gaming, since it was largely ignored at the time of its release, but years later, it became lauded as one of the best games on the N64.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I remember several years ago some goon had to take a 12 hour road trip, and took a vote to SA on what one song he should listen to on repeat during the trip.

How many times would you have to listen to Bugsnax before going insane?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

blackguy32 posted:

I still want to play Ghost of Tsushima.

Also, what is the last Sony game that is going to be released before they switch to PS5? Nothing is on my radar after Ghost of Tsushima.

e:Nevermind, I can't read.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I watched 3 negative TLOU2 reviews in a row, and then I watched HappyConsoleGamer's review. He actually saw the leaks before he played the review copy and he said there is a lot more in the game than the leaks. That's actually very encouraging to me.

I haven't watched the leak myself and I am going to judge the game myself for whatever its worth.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

lordfrikk posted:

e:Nevermind, I can't read.

No you could have left it. I forgot Cyberpunk is being released for current gen, if it actually does get released for current gen.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What’s important is the whole game equals popular movie is it’s more about showing that the game isn’t for children anymore. Because despite it all video game players are still insecure.

Gritty also is seen as mature in itself.

Comics did a very similar thing in the 90s.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

It reminds me of the, "[x] is the Citzen Kane of video games", because Citizen Kane is often referred to as "the greatest movie of all time", so gaming needs its own 'Citizen Kane' because that's apparently how art works.

However, I do remember that someone saying (and I agree with this) is that Mischief Makers for N64 could technically qualify as the Citizen Kane of gaming, since it was largely ignored at the time of its release, but years later, it became lauded as one of the best games on the N64.

Obligatory: https://thecitizenkaneofvideogames.tumblr.com

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol #the Taj Mahal of videogames

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

"When the Anthem team started development back in 2012, they hoped to make the Bob Dylan of video games, one that would be referenced and remembered for generations."
— Jason Schreier, Kotaku

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

In a medium where most games are like watching John Wick eight times, The Last of Us 2 is like watching Schindler’s List eight times. I haven’t done the math, but I think that makes it twice as better... and also seventeen times as devastating. 2/E

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

https://twitter.com/hell0jed/status/1271918076947136513?s=21

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Vikar Jerome posted:

"When the Anthem team started development back in 2012, they hoped to make the Bob Dylan of video games, one that would be referenced and remembered for generations."
— Jason Schreier, Kotaku

He’s explaining why the internal code name for the project was Dylan, so blame BioWare for that one

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

morestuff posted:

He’s explaining why the internal code name for the project was Dylan, so blame BioWare that one

yeah i saw that one further down. still funny lol.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

"There hasn’t been a ‘The Godfather’ of video games yet, where you fall totally in love with the characters, where you laugh, cry, and care. But I could have done that."
— Jack Black, on the game design career he would’ve had if he wasn’t acting.

Jack Black needs to play Yakuza 0, it would seem.

Yakuza 0 is The Godfather of video games, add me to the tumblr.

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Vikar Jerome posted:

— Jason Schreier, Kotaku

This man is often held up as one of the industry’s best fuckin lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Black's just mad everyone hated Brütal Legend

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vikar Jerome posted:

"There hasn’t been a ‘The Godfather’ of video games yet, where you fall totally in love with the characters, where you laugh, cry, and care. But I could have done that."

checkmate, b*tch

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh my goddddd that game sucked so so bad. One of the biggest bait and switches I've ever seen in my life

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Vikar Jerome posted:

I don't know, I played The Godfather video game when it came out, and that was pretty good.

Edit: Dammit, beaten by seconds!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bloodysabbath posted:

This man is often held up as one of the industry’s best fuckin lol

But in that case he's explaining the comparison the devs made, he's not making it himself. Pretty sure he's the one who tore open the bad practices at BioWare during Anthem.

Also The Godfather on PS2 is the Godfather of videogames. e: gently caress

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

checkmate, b*tch

Oh my goddddd that game sucked so so bad. One of the biggest bait and switches I've ever seen in my life

Ironically, The Godfather game is the Brutal Tales of Chivalry of its medium.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I didn’t hate it and it had an interesting concept. But story-wise the game did not go where you thought it would and suffered greatly for it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah, Anthem's code name was Dylan. I think DA4 is Joplin (Janis).

Should give you an idea of how far up their own asses they are.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mass Effect Andromeda's codename was Crazy Frog

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's not enough to call something the Citizen Kane of video games just because it's well-reviewed, to be worthy of that distinction you have to fulfill at least a few more prerequisites:

- Troubled production led by inexperienced but ambitious director.
- Strained relationship with publisher eventually leading to the dissolution of the entire studio.
- Commercially unsuccessful but a critical darling, consistently mentioned as a highly influential work across multiple genres.
- Pioneered several new impressionistic and fourth-wall breaking techniques hitherto seen only in more experimental productions.
- Subsequent overbudget follow-up projects and legal troubles permanently damaged the ability of the director to find work in the industry.

That's right folks, the Citizen Kane of gaming is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Brutal Legend is neat until you discover it has a half-baked RTS mode that is a significant part of the game. I really dug its style but had no interest in playing that stuff.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

exquisite tea posted:

That's right folks, the Citizen Kane of gaming is Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

I mean...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Orson Welles was a dirty paedo though.

I hope

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

- Subsequent overbudget follow-up projects and legal troubles permanently damaged the ability of the director to find work in the industry.

He's still trying.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I'm going to play Last of Us 2 and I even hope that it is good!

But Druckmann going online to tell people "your jokes are unhelpful" and Cory Barlog jumping in to be "Stop tearing us down!" is lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't think Orson Welles was a dirty paedo though.

I hope

That wasn't Dennis Dyak who I assume would be the Orson Welles figure in this.

But lol at Dyak being Welles in general

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BisterdDave posted:

How many times would you have to listen to Bugsnax before going insane?

What do you mean? We've already all gone insane from hearing it just the once.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

It's not enough to call something the Citizen Kane of video games just because it's well-reviewed, to be worthy of that distinction you have to fulfill at least a few more prerequisites:

- Strained relationship with publisher eventually leading to the dissolution of the entire studio.
- Commercially unsuccessful but a critical darling, consistently mentioned as a highly influential work across multiple genres.
- Pioneered several new impressionistic and fourth-wall breaking techniques hitherto seen only in more experimental productions.

I can get behind this.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The Bugsnax trailer is genius. Show just enough things to get people interested without explaining any gameplay, then also show inexplicable things that gets people's imagination going.

Then top it off with a catchy song you can't get out of your head.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

checkmate, b*tch

:eyepop:

any good?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

cant argue with that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was surprisingly decent and Marlon Brando's last acting job before he died. Though most of the stuff he recorded for it couldn't be used as he sounded so ill. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

exquisite tea posted:

Now I'm scared.