Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Samurai Sanders posted:

Having animals as employees (even board members) clearly isn't illegal in the Yakuza world because it happens again in 7.

Edit: seeing your animal board members trying to calm down angry shareholders is part of Yakuza history and video game history in general that I don't think I'll ever forget.

:swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Inspector Hound posted:

Mass effect needed more choices and more characters to make choices about, there should have been way more "pick who dies" moments or similar

I don't think Mass Effect fans can deal with no-win situations, so adding hard choices is a waste.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah the only no win they had was in the first game and it was choose what's her face or what's his face to die and frankly I really see that one as more of a win win

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yakuza definitely doesn't qualify as a crime series from a Western perspective because you can't do any loving crimes in it

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Arist posted:

Yakuza definitely doesn't qualify as a crime series from a Western perspective because you can't do any loving crimes in it

Weapon smuggling, public intoxication, participating in underground death matches, secret gambling halls, running an orphanage, getting a gym membership, fishing without a license, bike theft....

Sounds like crimes to me pal!!!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The biggest Yakuza crime is there aren't 20 of them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Dewgy posted:

Weapon smuggling, public intoxication, participating in underground death matches, secret gambling halls, running an orphanage, getting a gym membership, fishing without a license, bike theft....

Sounds like crimes to me pal!!!
"Bike theft" is a weird way to say "smiting your enemies with a bicycle".

And since that falls under fighting, it's clearly not illegal. I mean, police officers occasionally join you in that.

Givin posted:

The biggest Yakuza crime is there aren't 20 of them.
It's approaching that. Eight numbered games, two of which were remade, and then at least six spinoffs.

Edit: seven spinoffs I think? The two historical games, the two Kurohyo games, Dead Souls, Fist of the North Star, Judgment. I guess I could count the mobile game too.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 15, 2020

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Bugsnax

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

buttsmax
:redass:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Neal! posted:

and then the game ends with Joel dying because he suffocates under the pile of dead dogs I made

we’re not meant to post things from the leaks!!!!

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Now that metal gear is dead I believe it is time for Syphon Filter to rise from the ashes and onto the ps5

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

Now that metal gear is dead I believe it is time for Syphon Filter to rise from the ashes and onto the ps5

Surely this is Splinter Cell's time to shine.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

stev posted:

Surely this is Splinter Cell's time to shine.

SC with Ray Tracing :f5:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It can be any of those really, just make sure to hire David Hayter as the voice actor,

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

SC with Ray Tracing :f5:

I don’t know who that guy is but I hope they stick with Sam Fisher.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

God drat Syphon Filter was so good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The only thing I remember about Syphon Filter is the taser that set people on fire

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

But yeah I was referring more to people criticising the tone of the writing than this. Like, do they not think game criticism should be able to talk about the same things as film criticism? It seems like a lot of gamers get mad about any review that isn’t just “oh yeah mate it’s fuckin wicked you do all these great kills and it’s ace 10/10”

It's a bit of tug of war, I think, because game reviews like film reviews (even moreso tho) are very much caught up in the act of assessing a "worth your time/worth your money" trajectory within their line of criticism. There are definitely people doing great game criticism out there (Tim Rogers, Super Bunnyhop, Mathewmatosis, Errant Signal) mostly in video form which is fine, but they are usually doing it in more of a post-mortem way rather than a weekly release calendar "should I buy this?" way.

Publications or channels that mix the two end up being kind of lovely and suspect, which is usually the case in film criticism, too, but that's why when you find the rare film critic that can recommend AND examine in detail you tend to follow that person forever (like when Scott Tobias was writing for The Dissolve :rip: , or his The New Cult Canon series on AVclub that was extremely loving dope).

Still, the history of videogame publications shilling to maintain their own secret promotional sidehustles is robust enough to warrant continued skepticism by videogame enthusiasts.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Hello my favorite thread. I’m going to sit out for the end of the PS4 (rip my beautiful og console u were fantastic and I have nothing bad to say about u) and then grab a PS5 at launch. Pivoting to my Switch as my main console until then. I’m still going to lurk and pop in here every now and then. Not going to lie though the tlou2/Tsushima hype is gonna be tough. I am very much looking forward to playing them on my 5 in the future!

I'll miss u, KD. Be safe this summer. I look forward to riding through autumn/winter into a new and different era whatever that may be, accompanied by the future of this blessedcursed medium.

JBP posted:

Oh yeah that was me. A guy I find generally informative and accurate (Skill Up on YouTube) said it's 25 hours compared to 15 in tlou.

TLOU was not 15 hours for me, but I don't play games on easy :smuggo:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Comparing TLOU2 to Schindler's List is absolutely worthy of scorn and mockery

Word. Schindler's List is indeed pretty crappy!

Quantum Shart posted:

The problem with this is that it relies solely on scored reviews. There is plenty of critical reviews that don't boil down the review to a number and so by using Metacritic you are getting a very sanitised opinion of the game.

If they were so :airquote:critical:airquote: then they should've given it a 1/10. Fuckin dum dums don't know how to use the internet

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

TLOU was not 15 hours for me, but I don't play games on easy :smuggo:

I don't recall if that's accurate since I haven't played it for a long time, but it sounds right. I played on hard and I finished it a weekend. The point is that there is more TLOU combat, but not more of the other stuff that made it good, so if you don't like the combat it might feel long.

Google says TLOU is 12-16 hours so maybe you're just poo poo on any difficulty.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Ohhhhh, now I get what you're talking about. That seems to happen most often with Diablo-like games (I genuinely don't know what to call that genre) I think Path of Exile is the example that comes up a lot in in the PYF annoying things in games thread. Or maybe it was Grim Dawn? A game that asks you to put points into skills but don't really balance it too well like those or Deus Ex Human Evolution.

It can definitely be true for really stat based genres like Diablo, and I agree that it sucks and is lazy, although I sort of had something else in mind.

It's probably funny that even though I call it bad game design (which it is), most of the examples that spring to mind for me are actually from games I like. But some of the stuff I think of are things like when I was doing a second play through of Metro Last Light. Which to be clear is a game I love. I think I was doing it on ranger hardcore. and as anyone who has played metro know the series kind of skips to different structures, where sometimes it's fairly open and you get to do things at your own pace, but then it'll force you forward and it becomes super linear and you can't back track more than 10 feet. I hit a situation that I deemed physically impossible due to my inventory after like 20 tries, and after doing an inventory of what I'd actually need to do to complete the part. I realized it would involve losing hours of gameplay and I ultimately just flat out quit the play through when it was 80% done. No game should ever be designed like that.

There's probably more gray area in something like early Resident Evil games. I don't think I ever hit a point where I wasn't able to proceed in any of them but I am sure it's possible. There is trial and error/reloading built into the design though. Also with games like XCOM potential failure is built in so maybe it's not totally black and white.

I just don't think for the most part any game should let you ever hit a point where you can't proceed. Even if it's super hard to proceed because of bad inventory management or whatever it should almost never be a dead end imo.

TLOU on the hardest difficulties is very good at realizing you've hit an un-winnable situation and slowly doling out a bullet or two to make it possible to finish if you stick with it which I think is pretty brilliant.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Really wanna blast through TLoU2 in a week and sell it on at minimal loss but I just bought Persona 4 goddammit

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
No rentals near where you live?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Is that still a thing?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I tried to find rentals in Australia for TLOU2 but it seems like no.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Certainly not close by but there are online options, I just know if I rented it I would probably play 3 or 4 hours and put it down or get distracted but if I bought it I'd be encouraged to get it finished quickly and resold

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Imagine playing a game that some other slimy gamer had already touched.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Word. Schindler's List is indeed pretty crappy!

I don't agree that Schindler's list was crappy, but it is funny how much people have mangled that quote into something that it's not at all. The comparison is ultimately there to call the game unpleasant but worthwhile, but of course people just twist it into "this is the game equivalent of Schindler's list via quality" which was clearly not the writer's intention if you bother to read even one sentence of it.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Actually yeah come to think of it, covid19 would stop physical game rentals anyway

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Goons pick a game for me to play:

• Dark Souls 3
  • Hellblade
  • Nier Automata
  • Death Stranding

I need to stop playing Civ6 cuz it's too addictive and I cannot decide. Help me goons

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

Dark souls 3 if you want action
Death stranding if you want to relax

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Play all of them in that order but swap Death Stranding with nier so you can buffer the really long ones with shorter ones.

Dark Souls 3 though.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

Google says TLOU is 12-16 hours so maybe you're just poo poo on any difficulty.

:drat:

I played on hard first time through

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

• Dark Souls 3
  • Hellblade
  • Nier Automata
  • Death Stranding

I need to stop playing Civ6 cuz it's too addictive and I cannot decide. Help me goons

Nier Automata is the only one of those I enjoyed enough to actually finish without continually promising myself I'd get back to

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

• Dark Souls 3
  • Hellblade
  • Nier Automata
  • Death Stranding

DS3

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

I feel bad starting dark souls 3 cuz I haven't finished 2 yet, but I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'll never finish 2

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ignore all these people, play Hellblade first.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

fridge corn posted:

I feel bad starting dark souls 3 cuz I haven't finished 2 yet, but I feel like I'm getting to the point where I'll never finish 2

I mean, you'll probably not finish 3 either so

Where did 2 defeat you?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SirSamVimes posted:

Ignore all these people, play Hellblade first.

This was going to be my suggestion too. It's also fairly short, so you can move on to something else soon after.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

fridge corn posted:

don't bother, i'm playing through 2 again right now again for the first time since release and it is very easily the worst of the series, its such a drop in quality it feels like its a souls knockoff game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will be happy when CDP announces a PS5 Witcher 3 remaster, provided they fix movement feel, and overhaul the inventory ui. How can a game with a major focus on alchemical brewing, have such awful interfaces for crafting and consumables ?

(CD Projekt were smart to lend Netflix the title trademark for the show. I turned the game on right after finishing the last episode.)