Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Wanna rock this hard when I'm old and gray.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jzX07XIMA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Not only can he play old Dokken note-for-note, but dude can quilt like a motherfucker.

Props on the red quilted Ibanez, too. Love it. (They'rrrree Grrrrreat!)

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

woodch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4LbCLFUndg

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Okay, what the gently caress is this

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

woodch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26jzX07XIMA

This dude owns, what a great loving beard.

Found this thing, lol:

sigher fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 19, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

praxis posted:

Okay, what the gently caress is this

That is known as "an rear end in a top hat playing an idiot guitar"

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
someone asked about the devries guitar the other day. well it's still alive apparently.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=316274

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!
Has this been posted before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXgB3lIvPHI

LEGO contraption playing a song on a guitar via automation.

I don't care much for the song, but that's pretty amazing.

Edit: Still not quite as cool as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RBSkq-_St8

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Setting my delay pedal to infinite repeats is hilarious until I forget how high the volume level is set to. loving hell.
e: just a ridiculous swell as the tone turns from a discernible note to sirens, awesome

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This vinyl thing is getting out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1ZrEza7uY

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

KozmoNaut posted:

This vinyl thing is getting out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl1ZrEza7uY

I am in a generous mood so I will trigger half of the thread.

Vinyl sounds like poo poo and there is a reason we advanced from a 'warm' scratchy inconvenient medium to one that doesn't sound like poo poo. You can do the same thing in the video with Ableton wasting only 3 minutes of ones worthless time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

unlawfulsoup posted:

Vinyl sounds like poo poo and there is a reason we advanced from a 'warm' scratchy inconvenient medium to one that doesn't sound like poo poo. You can do the same thing in the video with Ableton wasting only 3 minutes of ones worthless time.

Thanks, PCOS Bill.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Thanks, PCOS Bill.

I don't know who that is and I even looked in the SAclopedia.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

unlawfulsoup posted:

Hey now records sound really great if you own an $85,000 record playing stereo system and an entire room in your home solely devoted to it.

But yeah for the most part, modern digital sound's fidelity has surpassed a human's capability to differentiate between what we have now and any future improvements in both frequency bandwidth and dynamics so the whole thing is kind of a mute point as far as quality goes. Digital music doesn't have an inherent sound quality anymore. It's become so good that it's now completely transparent, whereas the "recordness" of records really puts its own mark on the sound.

But all that is besides the point anyway. People listen to records because "records are cool," and the whole ritual of taking a record out and spinning it up is fun, not because they actually sound better.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Oct 22, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GreatGreen posted:

Hey now records sound really great if you own an $85,000 record playing stereo system and an entire room in your home solely devoted to it.

They sound great on a reasonably-priced turntable in a normal living room, too. Perfect? No, but good enough to enjoy the music.

But yeah, for most of us, it's a matter of being a neat interesting format, and the big cover art.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

On the systems about 100% of the people who listen to canned music on earth use, music will sound exactly the same whether it's coming off a record, a CD, or a computer.

e: Well that's not right. I mean they won't be able to tell a difference in "quality".

sout
Apr 24, 2014

GreatGreen posted:

But yeah for the most part, modern digital sound's fidelity has surpassed a human's capability to differentiate between what we have now and any future improvements in both frequency bandwidth and dynamics so the whole thing is kind of a mute point as far as quality goes. Digital music doesn't have an inherent sound quality anymore. It's become so good that it's now completely transparent, whereas the "recordness" of records really puts its own mark on the sound.

But all that is besides the point anyway. People listen to records because "records are cool," and the whole ritual of taking a record out and spinning it up is fun, not because they actually sound better.

low rpm records are fun because gently caress having to go up and fiddle with the vinyls 4 times for one album. Side A and B is enough for me thanks.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Yeah, I give absolutely zero fucks about people collecting vinyl for the novelty of it. It would be like getting mad at antique or retro videogame collectors. There is an idiotic subset of people who are convinced vinyl sounds better (whatever verifiably false) and they are vocal. I know one, and if you want to hear pseudoscience and vague descriptions of sound quality, just talk to one. Literal quote "You see digital recorders only get COMPRESSED ones and zeroes so they don't get everything like analog, just like how digital video is lower quality than film." D:

GreatGreen posted:

I agree with this completely. You can also add lossless music to this, because if people can't hear differences in blind tests I am not sure what the point is. Really most people would simply be better vested getting a decent pair of headphones. Audiophile idiocy is an endless rabbithole largely filled with pseudoscience and tons of snake oil salesman.

edit: Mac autocorrect is the worst thing on the face of this earth.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 22, 2016

sout
Apr 24, 2014

gently caress this dude, I'm off to listen to a reprinted album on a £50 turntable with my JVC Gumy earphones.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
you ever try breaking up your weed or cutting lines on an mp3?

i rest my case :colbert:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

unlawfulsoup posted:

You can also add lossless music to this, because if people can't hear differences in blind tests I am not sure what the point is.

Archival, mostly. A good error-free rip with a proper cue sheet is a 1:1 backup of CD, with nothing added or taken away. The difference compared to decent-quality MP3 is inaudible in the vastly overwhelming majority of cases, but a lossy copy can never be a 1:1 backup of the original.

I'm perfectly fine with a collection of rips in MP3 format, I don't need an archival-grade backup, I have all my CDs still. And if one happens to end up unreadable and I've lost my MP3 files, 99,9% of my music is common enough that I should be able to find another copy.

There is a decent enough argument that you should just keep your music in lossless format, since storage is cheap. Then you can just transcode to whichever format you need, when you need it, without generational losses. Personally, I don't foresee MP3 going away anytime soon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

I had a heart attack and am now dead.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

I had a heart attack and am now dead.

I was watching black mirror and realized that to dethrone the king all I needed was the perfectly crafted SA post.

KozmoNaut posted:

Archival, mostly. A good error-free rip with a proper cue sheet is a 1:1 backup of CD, with nothing added or taken away. The difference compared to decent-quality MP3 is inaudible in the vastly overwhelming majority of cases, but a lossy copy can never be a 1:1 backup of the original.

I'm perfectly fine with a collection of rips in MP3 format, I don't need an archival-grade backup, I have all my CDs still. And if one happens to end up unreadable and I've lost my MP3 files, 99,9% of my music is common enough that I should be able to find another copy.

There is a decent enough argument that you should just keep your music in lossless format, since storage is cheap. Then you can just transcode to whichever format you need, when you need it, without generational losses. Personally, I don't foresee MP3 going away anytime soon.

It does take up a lot of space though if you have a large enough music collection. Again, I am mainly ranting about people who insist they can hear major differences. The best is that service started by some musicians who probably have enough hearing damage where any theoretical gain is probably long diminished by the hearing damage they have from touring.

Higher bitrates and such does makes a ton of sense for recording where you want the headroom. People just sort of miss out on the whole nyquist theorem thing.

unlawfulsoup fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Oct 23, 2016

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Next you're gonna say something like "basswood isn't the perfect tonewood" or "the monkey grip doesn't make you play faster."

The king is dead. Long live the king!

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

Next you're gonna say something like "basswood isn't the perfect tonewood" or "the monkey grip doesn't make you play faster."

The king is dead. Long live the king!

Tonewood is generally bollocks anyway, basswood is as a good a wood as any (well some are poo poo for guitars just because they are hard to work with). Some woods just have nicer figures, but depending on how you paint that it doesn't often matter. I like that basswood is usually lightweight, which made the JEM guitars I have tried nice and comfortable.

Also the monkey grip for some inexplicable reason works with the JEM, especially the ones with the crazy floral patterns. It shouldn't work, but the whole package just has some insane 80s vibe that cancels out the weirdness of each singular element.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'd like to take a crack at some vulcanized basswood

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

unlawfulsoup posted:

Tonewood is generally bollocks anyway, basswood is as a good a wood as any (well some are poo poo for guitars just because they are hard to work with). Some woods just have nicer figures, but depending on how you paint that it doesn't often matter. I like that basswood is usually lightweight, which made the JEM guitars I have tried nice and comfortable.

Also the monkey grip for some inexplicable reason works with the JEM, especially the ones with the crazy floral patterns. It shouldn't work, but the whole package just has some insane 80s vibe that cancels out the weirdness of each singular element.
You have my heart.

I was being ironic and I'm sure you know that (crafting the perfect SA post), but if you're gonna mention Floral Print JEMs, I am unable to resist sharing her in response:

As you are all too painfully aware, this one has "worked" for me since I bought it new in 1989. It's beaten to poo poo, the pickups are all faded to different colors, the edges are mostly black Sharpie pen ink, but she's mine. :v:

Maybe not my stupidest music poo poo, but to some, very stupid.

Here she is with the stupidest music poo poo. I love them both, but I love one more:

And yes, I have come to the realization that wood isn't that important to a solid-body electric; though I still believe that some pieces of wood are brighter, darker, or have more or less sustain and I think that matters (some.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JEMs wouldn't look so bad if they didn't have that dumb-rear end inlay.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I respect your opinion, but they were pretty drat mind-blowing to all us EVH kids in the late 80s. When you see them up close you notice how interesting they are: the inlays are quite deep and the vine itself is stained, inlaid wood. It's pretty nifty and this fretboard has even been re-planed once in its lifetime.

If you ask me, it's those ridiculous overwrought Schecter neck inlays that look awful. But I'm biased.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dr. Faustus posted:

I respect your opinion, but they were pretty drat mind-blowing to all us EVH kids in the late 80s. When you see them up close you notice how interesting they are: the inlays are quite deep and the vine itself is stained, inlaid wood. It's pretty nifty and this fretboard has even been re-planed once in its lifetime.

If you ask me, it's those ridiculous overwrought Schecter neck inlays that look awful. But I'm biased.

Does that make fretting any harder?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

schecters just look awful in general

there's something about them that screams "99X YOUR NEW ROCK ALTERNATIVE. HOME OF LINKIN PARK, SHINEDOWN, AND DISTURBED"

they're the affliction t-shirt of guitars

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

sout posted:

Does that make fretting any harder?
Serious answer: No.
I have several Ibanez necks and Ibanez is known for having some "ruler-thin" necks like the Wizard neck on my RG770DX. All of the JEM necks are a bit thicker, though some, like the original Blue Floral Print, have smaller fret-wire.
I like the thicker JEM neck dimensions, myself. I especially like the big frets and the very flat 430mm/16.9291" fretboard radius, as well as the 25½-inch scale length on a two-octave neck (I do play the whole neck.)

The Wizard neck has large abalone/plastic "shark's tooth" inlays and I don't feel any of the inlays at all.

For reference, my guitars are usually set up tuned ½-step down to E-flat, and I play DR JH-10 Tite-Fit strings, gauges are .010, .014, .018, .032, .044, and .056. So they're light-top/heavy-bottoms and I really love them, but unfortunately I think they may be discontinued and I only have a few sets left. I use them on everything but my acoustics, so I need to either source more or find a replacement set. I really enjoy the feeling of the extra mass DR gets from their Tite-Fit process. It is very noticeable, especially on a well-constructed solid-body with a hard-tail bridge.

E: Added the quote to which I responded.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 23, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Dr. Faustus posted:

You have my heart.

I was being ironic and I'm sure you know that (crafting the perfect SA post), but if you're gonna mention Floral Print JEMs, I am unable to resist sharing her in response:

As you are all too painfully aware, this one has "worked" for me since I bought it new in 1989. It's beaten to poo poo, the pickups are all faded to different colors, the edges are mostly black Sharpie pen ink, but she's mine. :v:

Maybe not my stupidest music poo poo, but to some, very stupid.

Here she is with the stupidest music poo poo. I love them both, but I love one more:

And yes, I have come to the realization that wood isn't that important to a solid-body electric; though I still believe that some pieces of wood are brighter, darker, or have more or less sustain and I think that matters (some.)

I like the Seafoam and white JEMs the best. Also to the other dude, the inlay really doesn't matter. It feels slightly different, but I don't press down super hard enough to where it would make any difference.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

there's something about them that screams "99X YOUR NEW ROCK ALTERNATIVE. HOME OF LINKIN PARK, SHINEDOWN, AND DISTURBED"

BC Rich are the worst mainstream guitar company, but yeah Schecter stinks of NUMETAL to me as well. They do have some decent designs littered about in their catalogue, while everything with BC Rich on the headstock should be shot into the sun and its users put into guitar taste re-education camps.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

That's actually pretty interesting that it's so recessed but I just hate the design overall, the vine just looks so drat tacky. I prefer no inlays at all.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's actually pretty interesting that it's so recessed but I just hate the design overall, the vine just looks so drat tacky. I prefer no inlays at all.
Don't get me wrong. 17-year-old me thought that was the most incredible thing! 45-year-old me wants ebony fretboards with either no markers except on the side, clay dot markers, or mother-of-pearl dots. Maybe offset to the bass side or something. Or maybe just something personal at the 12th fret.
But I have strong nostalgia for the heady guitar days of being 17 and everything is new.

unlawfulsoup posted:

I like the Seafoam and white JEMs the best.
I've always lusted for the white JEM. I just can't afford one. :( I'd buy one new and just look at it from time to time.

Death Panel Czar
Apr 1, 2012

Too dangerous for a full sensory injection... That level of shitposting means they're almost non-human!

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

It's for the son of bluesdad. If your father plays a PRS with the pigeon inlays and some drapery-looking maple cap in vintage brownburst, the rebellious thing is to get some cartoon bat inlays, grody pearloid binding and a color named after a bodily fluid or ghosts.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
PRS had sigs with bat inlays for the good charlotte guy and paul allender so you dont eve need to leave the brand.

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

they had signature guitars for disturbed guy and papa roach guy. they must be the patron deity of nu metal

muike fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 24, 2016

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Schecter's do look dumb most of the time, and they have like zero resale value.

But a used one for ~350 bucks poo poo's all over anything in that price range. It's not uncommon to find the older ones without crazy inlays that have real Seymour Duncan pickups in them for sub 400 bucks.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I love the older Schecter C-1 Custom in blue. 24.75" scale length (My jam), non gawdy inlays, nice colour (There's not enough blue guitars) and it just looked classy, not gaudy. The new C-1 Custom looks... off. It's the new knobs and the fact it is now 25.5" or a combination of things. I've been looking for an older one but no dice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Faustus posted:

Don't get me wrong. 17-year-old me thought that was the most incredible thing! 45-year-old me wants ebony fretboards with either no markers except on the side, clay dot markers, or mother-of-pearl dots. Maybe offset to the bass side or something. Or maybe just something personal at the 12th fret.
But I have strong nostalgia for the heady guitar days of being 17 and everything is new.

I feel you. I'm just curious why he still gets that inlay, I guess it's so signature now he probably can't. But drat, just having something simple like "Vai" at the 12th fret and be done with it. Oh well.

• Locked thread