Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

GateOfD posted:

I thought it pretty amusing thinking back about Fate/Zero and Fate/SN routes, how in story, they hype Saber as 'the strongest card'
Then remember how much she jobs and just gets beat around in Zero and all 3 routes. Both verbally like at her ideals like in zero, and in actual fights.

In FSN, she defeats
Fate:
Lancer, Rider (two times), Archer, Berserker, Gilgamesh.
UBW:
Lancer, Berserker, Assassin
Heaven's Feel:
Lancer, Rider, Caster (two times), Berserker

In Zero, she defeats:
Caster, Lancer, Rider, Berserker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

YggdrasilTM posted:

In FSN, she defeats
Fate:
Lancer, Rider (two times), Archer, Berserker, Gilgamesh.
UBW:
Lancer, Berserker, Assassin
Heaven's Feel:
Lancer, Rider, Caster (two times), Berserker

In Zero, she defeats:
Caster, Lancer, Rider, Berserker

Zero:
Caster: Got tricked by caster and tentacled, and had to get saved by lancer.
Lancer: Gets punked in the first fight and has to spend the rest injured till Kiritsugu has to manipulate Lancer to fix the arm. And then final fight gets cut short because of Kiritsugu.
Rider barely counts, and she gets verbal-smacked by him and Archer hard.

Fate:
Common route before path split.
Don't really count the fight with Lancer under command seal debuff, but still got semi-gal bolg and still get injured a victory

UBW:
She got smacked around by Berserker and llya decides to walk off after Shirou does Shirou Gets beat by Assassin (wins round2), Gets beat by Kuzuki, Gets beat by Caster and taken over. Gets verrbal smacked a bit by archer

HF:
Just outright dies. Don't count Dark Saber as Saber

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GateOfD posted:

HF:
Just outright dies. Don't count Dark Saber as Saber

Why not :colbert:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kotomine kirei would like to have a word with you

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

no ahoge

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean under that logic Goku is weak because he loses to almost all of his opponents the first time he fights them

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 31, 2023

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
The 5th HGW is an outlier where most of the participants are on the top end of the scale (and then nerfed by various circumstances), so it's not a very representative war.
FZ exists to dunk of Seiba so I wouldn't draw many conclusions from it either.

W.T. Fits posted:

Isn't part of Shirou's problem that, in addition to being trained wrong, he actually has around the average number of magical circuits you'd expect for a mage, but all of them except like two are specialized for using his reality marble?

Nah it's just because he's trained wrong. The key point is that he doesn't know how to do the basic magus thing of using the magic around him rather than just his internal production.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Between her hangups, assorted nerfs, her specialization, her relative lack of ruthlessness in the context of a ritual designed by morally corrupt mages, it's not a surprise to me that Saber doesn't really look great in her various appearances.

She's like Superman in the Justice League cartoon. Dropped in the middle of a giant combat arena 1v1 just about anyone else (in FSN anyway) she'd probably win easily, but circumstances/the narrative conspire against her.

Which is a better excuse for losing than Gilgamesh, who is the embodiment of that one image macro from G-Reco

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

basically any of the contestants could have won the fifth holy grail war. Medea even does so in one of the bad ends.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

No goddamn way Lancer ever wins. No I don't care if it happened canonically in FHA or something

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lancer, True Assassin, and Rider probably don't win in a fight.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

she doesnt neccesarily win every fight in the vn, but she generally achieves her objective for the battle

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
who....cares? In most pieces of fiction a fight has very little to do with the fight itself and more about what it's accomplishing for the characters or narrative. The actual winner is irrelevant. FGO adaptations might be different because adapting games always means showing the viewer how super serious you are about knowing all the names of all the silly powers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

No goddamn way Lancer ever wins. No I don't care if it happened canonically in FHA or something

Rin could make solid use of him if she ever got her hands on him. He's basically Archer, but better.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Darth Walrus posted:

Rin could make solid use of him if she ever got her hands on him. He's basically Archer, but better.

She does get to use him in Fate/Extra! It's really fun watching their interactions :D

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Yeah, Rin and Lancer teaming up in Extra felt like a really nice little fanservice moment of "it probably occurred to you in FSN that these two would make a good team; now you get to see it".

They'd probably have done pretty badly in FSN's holy grail war, though, since they have the shared weakness of expecting it to be anything resembling a fair fight.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Not Keyser Soze posted:

who....cares? In most pieces of fiction a fight has very little to do with the fight itself and more about what it's accomplishing for the characters or narrative. The actual winner is irrelevant. FGO adaptations might be different because adapting games always means showing the viewer how super serious you are about knowing all the names of all the silly powers.

I heartily disagree with this. While it's true that on a narrative level that's the short and long of it, if the bullshit procedural rules-based (even if said rules are defied a lot) nonsense didn't matter, there wouldn't be so many things that go into such excruciating detail in regards to them

The pro wrestling comparison gets made a lot, because it's valid: even if the outcome is predetermined due to the nature of plot more than anything else, everything else is a big part of whether or not that outcome comes across as something significant or just "and then X won"

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It's about the journey not the end. :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I remember it being said at some point that if Rin had actually summoned Saber from the start, they'd have swept the war except for Gil and Kirei, who'd be a coinflip.

Saber is a really good Servant and Rin is a REALLY good master.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
oops

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A tumblr post i think is neat:

quote:

The 8th anniversary video showing Gramps fighting the Mongols, which means Hundred Personas (who FSF says was the final Hassan) was extremely desperate during the Mongol attacks on the Nizaris and called for his help.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_campaign_against_the_Nizaris

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Going back to the original question, within the context of the universe at that point the saber class was agile, resilient, has the best magic resistance meaning that caster is less of a threat, and is just generally the strongest at fighting. The only real weakness saber class has is that they were all swordsmen, but this was compensated for by swordsmen generally having the most iconic legends - the legend of King Arthur being paramount among them.

Within universe despite being held back both times, first by a master who had no intention of using her and then by a master ill equipped to use her, artoria still managed to win the holy grail war in all routes where it was run “normally”. Saber lived up to being the strongest card throughout all the routes.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Not Keyser Soze posted:

It matters because while a fight may often represent something more in most narratives, the mechanics of the fight itself, what people do, how they fight etc are also part of that storytelling, and then at the surface level a well written or acted fight is a draw to the audience. The text is important too, not just the subtext, and even the decision to make it a fight rather than a conversation is meaningful.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Of the original fate/stay night servants I respect Saber’s strength but I think Lancer, then Archer are more compelling as characters.

I really enjoy seeing strong characters be dealt a poo poo hand yet working with it, and Lancer does that in spades, while Archer arguably has the best hand in the war (Rin) and he kind of squanders it in his quest for… vengeance? Self-gratification?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Both archer and saber are interesting as reflections of shirou, and imo one of the strengths of the story as a whole are that the first two thirds of it are spent examining the main character from these two similar but different perspectives

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

StrixNebulosa posted:

Of the original fate/stay night servants I respect Saber’s strength but I think Lancer, then Archer are more compelling as characters.

I really enjoy seeing strong characters be dealt a poo poo hand yet working with it, and Lancer does that in spades, while Archer arguably has the best hand in the war (Rin) and he kind of squanders it in his quest for… vengeance? Self-gratification?

self-vengeance

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Saber realized her true potential when she became a joke character in hollow ataraxia.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Saber realized her true potential when she became a joke character in hollow ataraxia.

To the same extent, Archer has realized his true potential by becoming head chef at Chaldea in fate/go. I've never enjoyed him more than when he's talking menu options.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

self-vengeance

vengeance-gratification

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

To the same extent, Archer has realized his true potential by becoming head chef at Chaldea in fate/go. I've never enjoyed him more than when he's talking menu options.

Speaking of, guess we know why Alter went that path.

https://twitter.com/AllDrainSadism/status/1686201889099075585?t=UZvehCEqw3jozZnBHpiy9w&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

kiaras headgame must be insane

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Stairmaster posted:

kiaras headgame must be insane

According to translations Taiga in this timeline had a sick child and she joined the cult out of desperation for a cure.

Which is doubly twisted given Kiara's backstory as a sick child in a twisted cult.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Yea, a lot of it was already pretty strongly implied by fgo stuff but it's painful actually seeing it openly now. Lot of strong reactions on jp twitter where Emiya Alter is trending.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/sakurafan67/status/1686444894565572608?s=20

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/FateSR_Official/status/1687037044709830656

Increasingly finding myself interested in this

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
gonna really bored with the 2 Fate/Extra games I played, gameplay wise.

But if Fate/Samurai is more like a yazuka game...i might be more interested

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

samurai remnant is an action rpg its not really anything like the extra games

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

GateOfD posted:

gonna really bored with the 2 Fate/Extra games I played, gameplay wise.

But if Fate/Samurai is more like a yazuka game...i might be more interested

I've heard it's going to be more dark souls-y, so I continue to be tentatively excited

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I think it depends on whether you're controlling Iori or a servant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You control both Iori and Saber most of the time. Enemies have guard meters you destroy with Saber's attacks leaving them open to Iori.

I don't know where people are getting the Dark Souls thing from. It seems more like an action RPG with musou aspects like Persona 5 Strikers.