Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

odiv posted:

Moist Abzan?

Wet junk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
They started splashing blue even before Reflector Mage. There's not really a cost do doing so since the way the fetches line up means they will be incidentally finding blue sources in order to get black, and a Disdainful Stroke is a great way to stop an enemy from dropping their haymaker/wrath to stabilize.

The big swing in tempo and board presence from Reflector Mage was a natural addition from there.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 1, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bugsy posted:

Reprinted in Ice Age.

And Mirrodin.
And ninth and tenth edition.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Pussy Snorkel posted:

That was you!

Yup! I remembered that it was a goon link after it arrived, and I wanted to let you know that it came through. Unless you're the same person who I've been Facebooking with, in which case... thanks again!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

GeneX posted:

I love reflector mage

It might be the best creature in standard.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

I wish I still had my old copies of Inquest magazine. The card price lists from 1994/1995 would be interesting reading now.

I have the second issue of The Duelist Magazine, and in the back is a list of the term most expensive Magic cards and their prices. It's weird seeing how cheap a Black Lotus was, but even weirder when you consider it's probably the last time Wizards admitted that their cards have a specific monetary value on the secondary market.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Someone I know has an Unlimited Mox Pearl and still has the sleeve with the $10 sticker on it.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yup! I remembered that it was a goon link after it arrived, and I wanted to let you know that it came through. Unless you're the same person who I've been Facebooking with, in which case... thanks again!

That's me. That's my secret identity, don't tell.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Star Man posted:

Someone I know has an Unlimited Mox Pearl and still has the sleeve with the $10 sticker on it.

That's sending a message.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Count Bleck posted:

And Mirrodin.
And ninth and tenth edition.

Those sets didn't exist in 1997.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what are the money cards in FTV: Vorthos gonna be? Seems like as good a place as any to reprint Liliana of the Veil.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Entropic posted:

So what are the money cards in FTV: Vorthos gonna be? Seems like as good a place as any to reprint Liliana of the Veil.

FTV: Good cards and then Momir Vig sounds like a good thing.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

I totally get the whole "the game is supposed to be expansive and you'll encounter new and exciting cards for the first time" thing because I still remember how totally loving awesome it was seeing cosmic horror in a card shop on vacation. I also remember cracking a Taiga in a starter deck, feeling totally bummed out and ignoring all advice about how they were actually good cards. Other embarrassing things I did:

Opening a Polar Kraken, being unable to comprehend how I got so lucky to open such an amazing creature and then calling a friend who didn't believe that it was an 11/11.

Convincing my cousin to "merge collections" with me so that I could have his Sengir Vampire.

Feeling totally smug that I had $1000 in magic cards in my locker, despite them actually being the chronicle reprints priced as the original printings.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Entropic posted:

If Jace the Mind Sculptor taught WOTC anything, its don't put anything that valuable in it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Voyager I posted:

They started splashing blue even before Reflector Mage. There's not really a cost do doing so since the way the fetches line up means they will be incidentally finding blue sources in order to get black, and a Disdainful Stroke is a great way to stop an enemy from dropping their haymaker/wrath to stabilize.

The big swing in tempo and board presence from Reflector Mage was a natural addition from there.

This is the weird thing about this standard, its actually more consistent to run four colours because of the intereaction between fetches and tangos. If you try to run say Abzan, you have access to 12 or more fetches, but many of them end up only hitting one colour. Run Prairie Streams and Sunken Hallows rather than just Canopy Vistas and suddenly your Flooded Strands can get you White, Green, Black or Blue. Deltas can get you White, Black and Blue, and your Heaths can get you Green White and Blue. Which is way better than trying to run Deltas and Strands that can only get you Black and White respectively.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Waxmane Baku is bugged online. It doesn't need Ki counters, so it's a 2/2 for 2W with the ability "1, tap any number of creatures".

LSV's opponent just abused that bug to tap four creatures for one mana. Repeatable.

Waxmane is a card that was printed less than a year ago in MM2015. It is also broken with that printing.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Mar 1, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Waxmane Baku is bugged online. It doesn't need Ki counters, so it's a 2/2 for 2W with the ability "1, tap any number of creatures".

LSV's opponent just abused that bug to tap four creatures for one mana. Repeatable.

Then LSV shamed him into stopping.

Dude's still getting super banned though. Especially considering the guy he played in the last round is in chat saying he lost the last round to the same guy abusing the bug.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

suicidesteve posted:

Dude's still getting super banned though. Especially considering the guy he played in the last round is in chat saying he lost the last round to the same guy abusing the bug.

If the dude didn't abuse that bug, or abused it to the maximum, the result would have still been the same. LSV ended up using double Frostling to finish it off. If the opponent stopped trying to scum matches and focused on their play, they wouldn't have Ninjitsued their Okiba-Gang Shinobi after combat damage and walked away from the computer in shame, making LSV wait ten minutes AND get reported for the end of battle AFK.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So, the website for GP Manchester (UK) is up and the price confuses me a lot. It's £50 ($70) for the lowest registration, what the hell? I did a sealed GP around a year ago that was less than this and that include 6 boosters and some nice freebies, this has gently caress all apart from the mat and promo. The two additional tiers (The highest costing over $130!) just include a sleep-in thing for byes and some vouchers and poo poo. Are GPs going to be this price across the board or is this just an anomaly?

That being said, we rarely get GPs and you get a promo stoneforge mystic. I'm still kind of tempted, but much less motivated now.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

PleasantDirge posted:

Nobody ever wanted to trade their chromium at dream wizards and nobody ever sold one to the store so I was lucky enough to randomly find one in North Carolina while visiting my grandparents and bought it as soon as I saw it in the binder, like I pulled the card out and closed the binder because I couldn't believe how lucky I was.

The only other cards I would have done that for were chaos orb and icy manipulator but there was no way I could afford them at the time.

How was icy manipulator not on that money card list? poo poo was strait busted back in the day before real rules

:corsair:

Spicy Manipulator is still one of my favorite cards ever. I have my original one I packed in an unlimited booster sitting in my " don't trade these" binders. As generic as it is I always loved the art too.

The ice age art was trash. I have a bunch of ice age spicy's sitting in the "trade this poo poo" binder.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Samael posted:

So, the website for GP Manchester (UK) is up and the price confuses me a lot. It's £50 ($70) for the lowest registration, what the hell? I did a sealed GP around a year ago that was less than this and that include 6 boosters and some nice freebies, this has gently caress all apart from the mat and promo. The two additional tiers (The highest costing over $130!) just include a sleep-in thing for byes and some vouchers and poo poo. Are GPs going to be this price across the board or is this just an anomaly?

That being said, we rarely get GPs and you get a promo stoneforge mystic. I'm still kind of tempted, but much less motivated now.

They have no incentive to make them any cheaper. GP Detroit is $65 and it is being organized by a zero-effort organizer who is offering little incentive to sign up.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

This isn't viral marketing

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Brain in a Jar, Rare
Artifact
1,t: Put a charge counter on ~. You may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on ~.

3, t, Remove X charge counters from ~: scry X.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Cool design for a junk rare.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

So it's vial for spells that costs mana and you can't just stop at a certain cost. You have to keep going.

I suspect it preorder for like 15 because people don't understand what makes cards good besides looking like other cards that are good.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Another weird rare with incidental scrying

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
You can take a turn off to reset it to whatever cost you want with the second ability, so it's not totally hopeless on that front.

But it looks much too slow for Modern and back, and it being usable in Standard seems like it would be reliant on the format having multiple good one drop spells, which is about as likely as Wizards deciding to hand out Black Lotuses at the prerelease. Maybe some durdly all spells EDH deck wants it?

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 1, 2016

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

Brain in a Jar, Rare
Artifact
1,t: Put a charge counter on ~. You may cast an instant or sorcery card from your hand with converted mana cost equal to the number of charge counters on ~.

It feels like they tried to make an Aethervial for spells that wasn't broken.....hmm well they succeeded, I hope it ends up being playable, but that seems incredibly unlikely given how mana intensive this thing is.

In fact, it doesn't even make the spell uncounterable like Vial does, so it seems even more unlikely to see play.

It is really neat though.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I found an album of scans of the November 1995 issue of Inquest Magazine!
Holy poo poo this takes me back.

Alpha Lotus will run you $250 to $350. This seemed absurdly expensive for a piece of cardboard at the time.

Fork was a chase rare and over $20 for a Revised version.
Revised duels were $10-$20.
Gaea's Liege was a sought-after $10 rare.
Serra Angel was $5-$8

Even in 1995 nothing in Fallen Empires was worth poo poo. And it was the most over-printed set they'd done. You can see the problem.

Chronicles actually had some cards still holding onto their artificially high value for a while even though that set was printed almost as much as Fallen Empires. It wouldn't last.
This was when Inquest printed a list of prices for every single magic card that existed every month, since there were so few sets.

It's fun to look at the rest of the magazine too, to see what was going on at the time, and for the glimpses at other long-defunct CCG that were trying to ride the MTG wave at the time.

full album here: http://imgur.com/a/srdRT

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

I assume there's meant to be a "without paying its mana cost" in there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice scans. I remember a friend showing me these magazines he had from back then. He also gave me a player's guide published some time in 1995 that had all sorts of sweet tips and tricks about making decks.

Entropic posted:

Alpha Lotus will run you $250 to $350. This seemed absurdly expensive for a piece of cardboard at the time.
It still is.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

suicidesteve posted:

Abusing a bug in MTGO's programming is a bannable offense?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The most interesting thing to me about that card is it's the first time we've seen charge counters in an expert expansion since Scars of Mirrodin. Possible artifact theme, or seeding for an artifact theme in the fall? Could just be a goofy one-off, though it's more fun to speculate than it is to imagine Izzet EDH decks.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Attorney at Funk posted:

The most interesting thing to me about that card is it's the first time we've seen charge counters in an expert expansion since Scars of Mirrodin. Possible artifact theme, or seeding for an artifact theme in the fall? Could just be a goofy one-off, though it's more fun to speculate than it is to imagine Izzet EDH decks.

There has been Astral Cornucopia in Born of the Gods and Otherworld Atlas in Avacyn Restored, to name a couple.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Attorney at Funk posted:

As someone who bought Mizzix yesterday, I'm hard for charge counters

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's probably just a one-off. They do those every so often, they just haven't done an artifact one in a while. Charge counters tend to be the default for artifacts, while storage counters are the default for lands, and enchantments get whatever the gently caress creative feels like that day.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MiddleEastBeast posted:

There has been Astral Cornucopia in Born of the Gods and Otherworld Atlas in Avacyn Restored, to name a couple.

Mana Bloom

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Attorney at Funk posted:

It's just the new Jar of Eyeballs

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Attorney at Funk posted:

Brain in a Jar, Rare
Artifact

That's a cool rare, but I don't know where that would go even in a kitchen table deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Count Bleck posted:

That's a cool rare, but I don't know where that would go even in a kitchen table deck.

You would move the counters around the same way you always did: using power conduit.

• Locked thread