Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DJExile posted:

Ha ha ha Hulk Hogan is so dumb-hey why are you suing us? :(

ha ha ha our parent company is so dumb-hey why are you selling us? :(

Jalopnik aside, most of gawker's been a shell of itself since the Hogan suit. Deadspin in general and Magary in specific have clearly been on cruise control with the occasional good piece by Diana Moskowitz, and then just a bunch of whining about barstool that, while well-warranted, is clearly giving them all the attention they want. Posts screaming about the evils of capitalism are surrounded by their amazon referral links, lovely autoplay videos, and their "10 best deals".

How dare someone complain about capitalism while being forced to participate in it to survive.

And lol at calling out and reporting on a parent company for what they are doing, as a loving news site, being framed as a bad thing.

Also gently caress Hulk hogan and anyone who defends him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They can call out their parent company all they want, but then acting like they're shocked that the parent company is offloading them is really hard to buy.

Yeah gently caress hulk hogan but they played with fire and it burned them.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DJExile posted:

They can call out their parent company all they want, but then acting like they're shocked that the parent company is offloading them is really hard to buy.

They aren't particularly shocked it was fairly openly being talked about that they were looking to sell GMG before that article ran.

It only burned them because a rich rear end in a top hat with a vendetta specifically attacked them in a way where their insurance for these types of things wouldn't cover them, and ran a strategy of bleed them dry of all money.

I'm fine with Hogan getting whatever he was due not so fine with a billionaire specifically targeting a legal attack based around bankrupting and hopefully buying the company. ,

Though I think it was completely newsworthy to post that Hogan tape, as he was a marketing face of a publically traded billion dollar company. But sure, if he wanted damages then pay them up that's why news sites get that insurance.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

DJExile posted:

and then just a bunch of whining about barstool that, while well-warranted, is clearly giving them all the attention they want.

If it weren't for Deadspin I likely would never have even heard of Barstool

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

surrounded by their amazon referral links, lovely autoplay videos, and their "10 best deals".

My adblocker started filtering these out at some point when it didn't used to. I don't know how but I do appreciate it.

Now I can groan at seeing another Billy Haisley article even faster.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

First of all, what Univision is doing is lovely regardless. They're doing the Bain Capital bullshit of buying a company, laying off a ton of people and cutting a bunch of other costs, and then turning around and selling it because now it looks more valuable with less liabilities on the books.They should be called out on it, and literally no one is "shocked" that it is happening, that's a strawman.

Also, as far as the Hulk Hogan thing, you can say "they" did this or that all day long but not a single person involved with the Hogan fiasco is even at the company anymore.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

General Dog posted:

If it weren't for Deadspin I likely would never have even heard of Barstool

It's both good and bad that their reach is not what they think it is. Good, because thank god such a toxic shithole hasn't completely taken over. Bad, because since you need to be Very to Extremely Online to know how toxic they are, they can fly under the radar of mainstream media and sports organizations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mahoning posted:

First of all, what Univision is doing is lovely regardless. They're doing the Bain Capital bullshit of buying a company, laying off a ton of people and cutting a bunch of other costs, and then turning around and selling it because now it looks more valuable with less liabilities on the books.They should be called out on it, and literally no one is "shocked" that it is happening, that's a strawman.

This is what literally every bankruptcy procedure/purchase is though, that's not a new thing.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

This is what literally every bankruptcy procedure/purchase is though, that's not a new thing.

Except they're not filing for bankruptcy? Laying off people as a mock signal to your shareholders that you're "cutting costs" (even though its barely a blip on the financial radar) is a loving atrocious thing to do. Just because it is common does not make it right and you defending the practice or criticizing the people who are pointing it out as a lovely thing is pretty dumb.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

DJExile posted:

What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Are you arguing that because it is a common thing that it shouldn't be called out? I don't understand where you're going with this. If people don't call bullshit on it at every turn because "that's the way things are" then it's never going to stop being a thing.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I'm saying it's hard to buy gizmodo's outrage at their situation when they're the ones who put themselves in that spot in the first place. Hell, deadspin's been sued like 2-3 times since the Hogan deal on other stuff and I believe Univision had them yank 4 articles when they bought them.

Now Univision wants to sell them (or at least solicit buyers) either because they feel like the gawker/onion/splinter combo is worth more than the $135mil they originally paid for it when they went bankrupt, or they just don't want to put up with the costs anymore.

Mahoning posted:

Except they're not filing for bankruptcy? Laying off people as a mock signal to your shareholders that you're "cutting costs" (even though its barely a blip on the financial radar) is a loving atrocious thing to do. Just because it is common does not make it right and you defending the practice or criticizing the people who are pointing it out as a lovely thing is pretty dumb.

I meant when they bought Gizmodo out of bankruptcy, i should have clarified.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DJExile posted:

I'm saying it's hard to buy gizmodo's outrage at their situation when they're the ones who put themselves in that spot in the first place. Hell, deadspin's been sued like 2-3 times since the Hogan deal on other stuff and I believe Univision had them yank 4 articles when they bought them.

Now Univision wants to sell them (or at least solicit buyers) either because they feel like the gawker/onion/splinter combo is worth more than the $135mil they originally paid for it when they went bankrupt, or they just don't want to put up with the costs anymore.

I meant when they bought Gizmodo out of bankruptcy, i should have clarified.

Ok now you’re just talking out of your rear end. Dig up, stupid!

1) as I said before, none of the people involved in the Hogan thing are even with the company anymore so this “they” you keep referring to is baffling. “They”, as in the people that work there now, shouldn’t be punished or silenced from making legitimate complaints due to something former employees did.

2) Univision JUST laid off people all across GMG last week AND I believe shuttered some of the sub-sites. (Excuse me, they were given buyouts) so this has nothing to do with the post-bankruptcy restructuring that goes on all the time.

3) The Onion/AV Club had nothing to do with Gawker and weren’t affiliated at all with them when the Hogan thing went down. And yet they’re suffering too.

So, in an effort to show that you still think Gawker did a Bad Thing in the Hogan case, you have completely talked out of your rear end and haven’t made a single point that makes sense.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The employees of The Onion have nothing to do with Gawker's editorial decisions from a decade ago, nor do pretty much any of the current employees of the Gizmodo group. No one there is "shocked" that the companies are being stripped for parts, because their union has been in negotiations regarding buyouts for months.

They're allowed to react like human beings to an unfortunate situation that is threatening their livelihoods

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dexo posted:

Though I think it was completely newsworthy to post that Hogan tape, as he was a marketing face of a publically traded billion dollar company. But sure, if he wanted damages then pay them up that's why news sites get that insurance.

nothing on the Hogan tape they published was actually noteworthy unless you like watching an old dude have consensual sex

it was just lovely celebrity gossip clickbait like most of the stuff that defined Gawker under Daulerio

the racist comments were on a second sextape that the FBI had, one that its safe to say that Gawker never had it because they probably would have published it instead of the horribly boring one that destroyed their company

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

nothing on the Hogan tape they published was actually noteworthy unless you like watching an old dude have consensual sex

it was just lovely celebrity gossip clickbait like most of the stuff that defined Gawker under Daulerio

the racist comments were on a second sextape that the FBI had, one that its safe to say that Gawker never had it because they probably would have published it instead of the horribly boring one that destroyed their company

Which is the one where he says "I ate too much pork"?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Finebaum signed his extension with ESPN, ending our national crisis before SEC media days.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Late on this I guess but GMG is being sold/stripped down because Univision is desperate for either cash or places to cut cost because the morons running it saddled them with a ton of debt they can't get keep up with. It doesn't have anything to do with the actual content of any of the sites and afaik it's consistently turned a profit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

MourningView posted:

Late on this I guess but GMG is being sold/stripped down because Univision is desperate for either cash or places to cut cost because the morons running it saddled them with a ton of debt they can't get keep up with. It doesn't have anything to do with the actual content of any of the sites and afaik it's consistently turned a profit.

but but my narratives.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

MourningView posted:

Do debt-leveraged acquisitions ever end well? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Glazers buying Manchester United, but a sports team isn't exactly a normal business.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
The end well for the people who did the acquiring. Everyone else gets hosed.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

Do debt-leveraged acquisitions ever end well? The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the Glazers buying Manchester United, but a sports team isn't exactly a normal business.

The leverage isn’t what hosed up GMG, it’s Univision having no plan in place to run the whole thing

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah i was on my bullshit about some of that, my bad yall

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticCFB/status/1018857791472091136

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

GMG.jpg

(and this is technically sports journalism, as I clipped it from Deadspin)

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
You really need to click through on the HamNo story though, it's not what you think.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Noctone posted:

You really need to click through on the HamNo story though, it's not what you think.

If you've ever read HamNo it's exactly what you think.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Noctone posted:

I think he's referring to it appearing directly below a referral-link-laden ad for stuff on Amazon.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Advertising and Editorial at all of these companies are two different teams

There is jack poo poo editorial can do about advertising deciding to put ads and Ref feral stuff on the sites.

It often leads to hillarious poo poo like this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
It's a good column

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People only hate HamNo for reminding us that we live in Hell

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

People only hate HamNo for reminding us that we live in Hell

He's unfashionably shrill and angry

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

He's unfashionably shrill and angry

Not sure if you’ve noticed but it’s very fashionable to be both of those things lately

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

loving lmao at espn 1000 putting North and Coppock on air

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what human being exists on earth who wants to listen to mike north

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

R.D. Mangles posted:

what human being exists on earth who wants to listen to mike north

Old, white people.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

I wonder if we'll ever see teams that don't have a ton of local coverage start to get covered by the Athletic.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Rick posted:

I wonder if we'll ever see teams that don't have a ton of local coverage start to get covered by the Athletic.

i think they want to get all of the big teams up first, though i did see some demand for buffalo's pro women's hockey team

https://twitter.com/TheAthletic/status/1019189984019058689

interesting they opened in baltimore before dc

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Dexo posted:

loving lmao at espn 1000 putting North and Coppock on air

Score counters by giving Other Noted lovely Old White Guy Bruce Wolf a spot for Chet Chitchat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Vertical Lime posted:

i think they want to get all of the big teams up first, though i did see some demand for buffalo's pro women's hockey team

Finally they got Wisconsin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Vertical Lime posted:

It's going to be extremely difficult for them to compete against the Post in the DC market.