Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

ladyweapon posted:

Its not blocking, exactly, but you can require approval for all check-ins that you don't do on facebook. Until you approve them, they wont show up on your wall.

Thanks I was just hoping to have to block Places and not every wall post, ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Mister Kingdom posted:

Why are some people compelled to feed internet trolls? Especially when they've identified the poster as a troll and the troll pretty much admits it?

The feeder usually ends up looking like more of an idiot than the troll himself.

"Poes law" and people on the internet like to argue/make their point. Especially in threads where there's really no opposition and the only ones are trolls.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Is this a scam? I've been unemployed for two months now, and careerbuilder sent me this. Tried googling, no results.

quote:

Dear (Deep Winter) ! A activly developing United Statet Company Forwarding-Group dealing with receiving, repacking, consolidation and resending the post correspondence all over the planet and one of the worldwide leaders in the field offersthe supplementary recruitment for a part-time home-based job opening. In order to provide the clientele of the high service level we need the personnel in all the American states for the Agent position. We don't care about your location, age and education level. The most important is your readiness and ability of carrying out the Company's assignments.

The Agent obligations: - receiving the correspondence to your address; - inspection of the correspondence; - photographing the received packages, scanning/photographing documents; - repacking the packages; -receiving and printing shipping labels; - sending the items to the clientele with the prepaid shipping labels;

Requirements experiences : - 1-2 hours of free time in the period of 8 a.m. till 5 p.m. every workday; - personal computer availability with the Internet, camera and printer; - responsibility and quickness in job performance;

- ability to use PC - ability to cover conflict-resolution tasks - skill to work with confidential information - ability to do the job efficiently

The Company guarantees a fixed compensationof $1500 p/month, in addition we pay $40 for every processed parcel. Our most successful workers earn more than $3,000 p/month working 2-3 hours p/day! If you like the agent opportunity and you consider yourself to be convenient for this job, please send us your detailed resume

Probably not real?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
If you have to ask, it's a scam. Plus look at all the grammar/spelling mistakes.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is there such a thing as a silent doorbell? If someone rings the doorbell at the front door it just flashes a light instead of ringing a bell? I know it could be retrofitted but I am looking for an existing solution.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

b0nes posted:

Is there such a thing as a silent doorbell? If someone rings the doorbell at the front door it just flashes a light instead of ringing a bell? I know it could be retrofitted but I am looking for an existing solution.

Yes. Deaf people have them in their homes so they know when someone is at the door. http://www.lssproducts.com/category/alerting-doorbells-flashers

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010

An observer posted:

If you have to ask, it's a scam. Plus look at all the grammar/spelling mistakes.

I just want a job so bad. :negative:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Deep Winter posted:

Is this a scam? I've been unemployed for two months now, and careerbuilder sent me this. Tried googling, no results.

Probably not real?

You'll be a helpful mule in a re-shipping scam, helping to steal money from old ladies in Minnesota.

quote:

How a Reshipping Scam Generally Operates:
  • Mules are hired by Scammers through legitimate channels like popular employment websites and search engines. The deceiving jobs can be enticing – especially in this economy – through promises of flexible work-at-home jobs with good pay. Scammers employ websites which are typically designed to look like a legitimate import/export firm looking for new hires (See Figure 1). In many cases mules have no idea who they are working with, or that what they are doing is illegal.
  • Fraudsters, the Customers of the reshipping service, go online and purchase expensive merchandise. The carded merchandise is shipped to a specific mule’s home address. These mules are assigned to each Customer.
  • The hired mule reships the goods to the native country of their “employer” where that fraudster or his accomplice lives. While mules are supposed to receive a small commission from each shipment, they often do not.
  • Reshipping is the process of unpacking the delivery with a merchant’s brand on it, repacking it into a new, plain box, and shipping it to their “employer” in another country. Reshipped merchandise includes popular laptops, smartphones and other valuable items that are in high demand and, thus, easier to sell.
  • Once the Scammer receives the merchandise from the mule, they sell it or auction it off for cash. Proceeds are then split between the Scammers and their Customers.

http://blogs.rsa.com/rsafarl/deep-inside-a-reshipping-scam-mules-victimized-by-air-parcel-express/

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Mokotow posted:

Thanks for this. Loki_'s link was also helpful, but I'd like to expand this question to the pre-computer era. I remember that in older elevator types, which did not use a computer, the cabin would get out of sync with floors as time went by, to a point where you'd get a significant "step" between the cab and building floors. I'm guessing these elevators used some sort of mechanism on the motor to count rotations, or something?

I know this is a couple of pages ago, but basically...

You're really close. The earliest electronic ones had a long metal "tape" with evenly spaced holes placed in the elevator shaft. Usually either a light beam or a switch would count the holes. When they got out of sync, you could force the computer to (slowly) move the elevator all the way up, then all the way down, to re-count everything, and tell it which "hole" to stop at and which hole to begin leveling (slowing down) at.

Failing to level properly still happens on newer ones; the newer ones are usually better maintained, however.

The non-electronic ones just had mechanical switches at each floor - the later "2 speed" ones would have one to tell the motor to switch to low speed so it could level, another switch to tell it that it had reached its level. There was a massive collection of relays in the equipment room that handled the lobby call buttons and told the elevator which floors to stop at; as you can imagine, the wiring was an absolute nightmare.

This photo is from a highrise office building built in the late 50s and closed in the mid 80s (it's now open as high rise luxury condos, with a modernized elevator system - The Mercantile Bank Building, for any DFW goons). That's just a small fraction of the relay system.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FCKGW posted:

You'll be a helpful mule in a re-shipping scam, helping to steal money from old ladies in Minnesota.

http://blogs.rsa.com/rsafarl/deep-inside-a-reshipping-scam-mules-victimized-by-air-parcel-express/

In other words, take it and then just keep everything they send you.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Schweinhund posted:

In other words, take it and then just keep everything they send you.

Congratulations, you've committed bank fraud!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Finders keepers.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

NESguerilla posted:

They smell perfectly fine. I was surprised. Figured at least the chicken would smell a bit off.

Yeah it's not that bad. Hell, I let my steaks sit out that long every single time. Just cook them properly.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
One of the following three things in my computer is acting inappropriately: Chrome, Flash player, or my graphics card.

Whenever I watch a flash-based player with Chrome (e.g. Youtube or ESPN3), I get the graphical glitch shown in the attachment. Everything claims it's up to date, but this has been going on for multiple update cycles now.

What on Earth could be causing this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Grundulum posted:

One of the following three things in my computer is acting inappropriately: Chrome, Flash player, or my graphics card.

Whenever I watch a flash-based player with Chrome (e.g. Youtube or ESPN3), I get the graphical glitch shown in the attachment. Everything claims it's up to date, but this has been going on for multiple update cycles now.

I had exactly the same thing happen with my computer a while back. You wouldn't happen to have an HP Elitebook with an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M adapter, would you? I had to go to nvidia's website; they have some thing that detects your hardware and gets you the right driver. There was a more recent version there than what Windows Update could find, and it stopped happening after I installed it. In fact, Windows Update later found a newer version, which brought the problem back, so I ended up reverting. If you're not already, I would check with the manufacturer for the current version instead of relying on Windows Update fore it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

I had exactly the same thing happen with my computer a while back. You wouldn't happen to have an HP Elitebook with an NVIDIA Quadro 1000M adapter, would you? I had to go to nvidia's website; they have some thing that detects your hardware and gets you the right driver. There was a more recent version there than what Windows Update could find, and it stopped happening after I installed it. In fact, Windows Update later found a newer version, which brought the problem back, so I ended up reverting. If you're not already, I would check with the manufacturer for the current version instead of relying on Windows Update fore it.

NVIDIA NVS 3100M, for what it's worth. NVIDIA's website tells me I have the most up-to-date drivers. So does Chrome, so does Windows, so does Adobe. This has been going on for several update cycles, like I said, so if it's a driver issue I don't even know where to begin rolling back.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Z the IVth posted:

I have a question about Microsoft Access and Excel (2003).

I've got this massive spreadsheet I am trying to convert into a database. Contents are basically individuals and the product they are receiving. Now the people who updated the spreadsheet prior to my receiving it added new lines every time anyone changed from one product to another, resulting in a mess of extra entries that I unfortunately have to preserve (each person is only on one product at any one time).

My question is, is there any easy way of splitting the table up so that I can associate each individual with all the products they have ever used (on a separate table)? I have passable IT skills, but can't do poo poo with VBA.

I think you'll want three tables in Access: People, Orders, & Products.

The people table will contain each unique individual, and an individual id number. The products table will have each unique product, and a product id number. The orders table will have an order id (like the row number in your current spreadsheet), product id, and person id. It'll "link" the people with the products. A date field would be nice here too if that's in the spreadsheet. That way, when you do

code:
SELECT o.order_id, o.order_date, p.description 
FROM orders o, products p 
WHERE o.product_id = p.product_id 
AND o.person_id = 29427
you'll get something like this:

code:
23523 - 5/23/2008 - Bananas
53521 - 7/02/2010 - Hot dogs
81513 - 4/03/2012 - Dildos
Then you can create fancy reports and such and your boss will give you a raise.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Grundulum posted:

Check the settings on Chrome and Flash. First, try seeing the video on another browser. If that works, then Chrome is off. If you get the same glitch on Firefox or IE, say, then check Flash's settings. I assume your graphics card works well otherwise.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

WillieWestwood posted:

Check the settings on Chrome and Flash. First, try seeing the video on another browser. If that works, then Chrome is off. If you get the same glitch on Firefox or IE, say, then check Flash's settings. I assume your graphics card works well otherwise.

It doesn't happen in IE (don't have Firefox installed). Chrome is my primary web browser, so should I start trawling archive websites looking for a version that works?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grundulum posted:

It doesn't happen in IE (don't have Firefox installed). Chrome is my primary web browser, so should I start trawling archive websites looking for a version that works?

Might want to go ask in the haus of tech support.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

The heat of summer and my laptop has melted the adhesive sticking one of the rubber foot pads to the bottom of my computer. It doesn't stick for long when I put it back on, so I want to get some kind of glue to make it permanent. I vaguely recall superglue not working very well when I tried on a previous computer. Any suggestions for a glue that will work to bond the plastic computer case and the rubber foot?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Grundulum posted:

NVIDIA NVS 3100M, for what it's worth. NVIDIA's website tells me I have the most up-to-date drivers. So does Chrome, so does Windows, so does Adobe. This has been going on for several update cycles, like I said, so if it's a driver issue I don't even know where to begin rolling back.
It's a hosed hardware YUV overlay.

Right-click on the video, select "Settings...", uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration"

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Nighthand posted:

The heat of summer and my laptop has melted the adhesive sticking one of the rubber foot pads to the bottom of my computer. It doesn't stick for long when I put it back on, so I want to get some kind of glue to make it permanent. I vaguely recall superglue not working very well when I tried on a previous computer. Any suggestions for a glue that will work to bond the plastic computer case and the rubber foot?

I'd rough the foot up a little with some sandpaper (or a file I guess) and use some gorilla glue. Shits awesome.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom
Can anyone suggest some sites to get free children's educational games for a PC? I've Googled up a bunch, but many are either only trials or loaded with SpyWare. I'm trying to hook up my three-year-old niece with something to do while she spends the next three months in a cast.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
Oregon Trail, it's never too early to teach a kid that even though they slaughtered 12 bison weighing a total of 18,000 pounds, they can still only carry 100 pounds back to the wagon (and that it's impossible to make more than one trip).

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

What should I be looking for in a pillow to tell if it's fluffy or has any kind of longevity? I've bought expensive down pillows that lasted less than a month and a cheapo :20bux: polyster pillow that I planned on using only when camping and ended up being my favorite pillow for years. So I obviously have no clue what I'm doing when buying pillows. I'm looking to buy a full-length pillow soon because they look awesome, but I don't want to buy 2 or 3 and hope one is halfway decent. I usually sleep on my side.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

LLSix posted:

What should I be looking for in a pillow to tell if it's fluffy or has any kind of longevity? I've bought expensive down pillows that lasted less than a month and a cheapo :20bux: polyster pillow that I planned on using only when camping and ended up being my favorite pillow for years. So I obviously have no clue what I'm doing when buying pillows. I'm looking to buy a full-length pillow soon because they look awesome, but I don't want to buy 2 or 3 and hope one is halfway decent. I usually sleep on my side.

I don't know how big they make them, like if they make body pillow versions, but I am a bedding enthusiast and I have found memory foam pillows to be the best thing ever. I won't ever go back to normal or down pillows. I always loved the idea of down pillows, and I won't ever use a polyfill comforter ever again (down duvet or DEATH!) but for pillow, the memory foam is the best thing in the world. Tastes do vary, though, so really it's down to what is comfortable for you. They're nice too in that you can squish them down and they come right back up again. I need a lot of neck support and they do not disappoint. They are not very expensive either, and you can even find them in drugstores and what not. I got mine at Costco and they were actually pillow shaped (a lot of them are 'contoured' in kind of a neck support shape but I don't like those as much) and they were slightly less than $20 each, you can find them on sale for half that.

I will skimp on things but never bedding. Good bedding makes a world of difference. For me right now it's memory foam pillows, down duvet, and jersey sheets. I resisted those for a long time, preferring Egyptian cotton bla ze blah, but I tried them and they really are exquisite.

I am really enthusiastic about bedding.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
This isn't really pertinent to the discussion at hand, but I have to mention it every single time people talk about pillows.

Japanese-style pillows filled with buckwheat husks are the greatest thing ever. Just make sure you're buying the real thing and not one filled with crappy beads or snips of plastic tube or something. Sometimes they come filled to the brim with husks and are too firm; just siphon out some of the filling (and save it for your next pillow!) until it's as loose as you like it. I like mine about 60% full, since that lets me shape it. It's soft-ish, but gives excellent support and is very, very cool at night.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

It's a hosed hardware YUV overlay.

Right-click on the video, select "Settings...", uncheck "Enable hardware acceleration"

drat. That was it. Thanks!

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I'm watching "24" on Netflix and I have a question. I'm at season 4, I think, and can someone tell me about the "Chloe" character without spoiling whether or not she dies a horrible fiery death by the last season (*fingers crossed*)? Basically my question is: when the show was airing, did everyone hate her as much as I do? She's supposed to be a jokey character, right? It's completely out-of-place and off-putting when she pulls her dumb faces or says something stupid. It makes me feel like I'm watching an SNL skit of a scene from "24."

Starmonkeycatbox
Oct 6, 2010

Grundulum posted:

Similar problem: using firefox with a nvidia 9800m the drivers will randomly crash when playing flash videos and freeze the whole laptop, have the newest drivers for it but can't seem to find a solution, would disabling the hardware accelerated graphics help in my case as well?

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

smeep posted:

I'm watching "24" on Netflix and I have a question. I'm at season 4, I think, and can someone tell me about the "Chloe" character without spoiling whether or not she dies a horrible fiery death by the last season (*fingers crossed*)? Basically my question is: when the show was airing, did everyone hate her as much as I do? She's supposed to be a jokey character, right? It's completely out-of-place and off-putting when she pulls her dumb faces or says something stupid. It makes me feel like I'm watching an SNL skit of a scene from "24."

Well the actress that plays her is from Mr. Show, so I think when I watched it I initially just had trouble justifying that. It seems like she's supposed to be awkward comic relief.

I don't know how many episodes in you are, but she becomes significantly less obnoxious as the season progresses and you get used to her.

That's the best way I can answer that without giving anything away, I believe.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Smeep posted:

Basically my question is: when the show was airing, did everyone hate her as much as I do?

The hatred of Chloe was so intense it spilled over into other TVIV threads. 24 was one of the go-to examples goons degenerating into sputtering, blathering rage over THIS GODDAMN loving STUPID oval office WHORE SLUT WHO IS RUINING MY TV SHOW. Or were they sputtering over Kim?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Smeep posted:

Just making sure you know that the TV Chat thread is also a resource for all things TV:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3377206

nbakyfan
Dec 19, 2005
I have two, unrelated questions:

ONE When I watch videos on line, or on my hard drive, the audio may vary from file to file, despite the audio settings being the same for the software, and speakers. Is there a program you can download (for Windows 7) that will amplify the volume from Chrome, to the speakers on my laptop? I use VLC player, and that works for files on my computer. I am mainly interested in playing videos off of youtube.

Two What is a good way to clean the pans under the electrical coils on stoves? The pans use to be silver, but are now a disgusting black/brown due to student usage over the past year.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

nbakyfan posted:

Two What is a good way to clean the pans under the electrical coils on stoves? The pans use to be silver, but are now a disgusting black/brown due to student usage over the past year.

Might wanna look into just replacing them I remember when I moved out of my last apartment it took more in cleaning chemicals to get them decent then it would have to just buy more :( So next time you are in the store picking up a degreaser swing by the cooking accessories aisle and compare prices :)

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
I don't know a lot about how laundry works, but I do know some clothes shrink when washed with hot water. I always, always use cold. However I'm occasionally getting an undershirt, sock, or towel that's incredibly shrunk.

I'm going to start checking all my clothes when I pull them out of the dryer from now on. This has only happened at this location, two different washers over 14 months. I'm suspecting that my roommate who wears the same kind of undershirts and socks and who has the same kind of towels as I do, and who washes their clothes on hot, is trading me out with his shrunk clothes.

Is there any possible way one item can get shrunk and not the rest? I kinda feel crazy suspecting someone of this but it seems like the only plausible scenario.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Smeep posted:

On the TVIV weekly 24 threads, Chloe went from psycho spergin' bitch to awesome nerd girl to yeah, yeah, we get it already.

The actress IS awesome, though.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

nbakyfan posted:

My mother had an electrical stove until I moved out of the house; we'd just pull the coil out and then pull out the pan to wash it by hand. Pretty easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

nbakyfan posted:

What tarepanda said. I also like to use some degreaser if it's really gross. Oven cleaner is a degreaser, but I prefer to use junk that isn't aerosolized, mainly because breathing that poo poo in hurts.

So, spray it with degreaser and let it soak for awhile. Wear gloves because it can mess with your skin. Even the kind made from citrus.