Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Finally got the stupid shadow gauntlets to drop. They even gave me a second claw along the way. For some reason I had a lot more luck after killing the boss and using an ascetic to reset, maybe the drop rate goes up with every bonfire intensity level.

Which greatsword has the fastest moveset? I'm thinking about making a Mundane build all-'rounder character that can do a whole bunch of stuff at once (big sword/Caestus/daggers/pyromancy) and I want something nice and meaty that won't slow me down too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Internet Kraken posted:

By the time you reach Anor Londo you should be perfectly capable of dealing with invaders.

And how does that solve the issue of back to back to back to back to back to back invasions, removing the ability to, say, kindle bonfires and the like?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Magus42 posted:

And how does that solve the issue of back to back to back to back to back to back invasions, removing the ability to, say, kindle bonfires and the like?

This was never an issue and people are just exaggerating. I played tons of Dark Souls and never got invaded that much. The game has an internal invasion cooldown so its literally impossible for you to be invaded directly after an invasion.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Yeah, I think there was like a 5 or 10 minute timer before you could get invaded again, if you died while one was in your game. When I needed to, I tried to have at least one more humanity than necessary if I was going to kindle a bonfire if the boss wasn't dead.

Also looking back, the Way of Blue covenant was loving worthless for me. I stayed in it for all of the first game and nearly all of new game +, and out of every single invasion I ever got, I only had one partner summoned in ever. I'm still trying to decide what covenant I'd like to settle in and stay with (yes, I know there's no penalty for switching anymore) but it's hard to decide. None of them really seem to wow me. :(

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Just lost 100k souls :negative:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

By the time you reach Anor Londo you should be perfectly capable of dealing with invaders.

When I first played DS1 blind, my first pvp experience was defending the anor londo bonfire doorway with a lightning spear, since it was my best weapon since I didn't know how the blacksmith worked, and wearing elite knights armor.

I think the guy might of felt sorry for me before cleaving me up with his scythe.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

This was never an issue and people are just exaggerating. I played tons of Dark Souls and never got invaded that much. The game has an internal invasion cooldown so its literally impossible for you to be invaded directly after an invasion.

Not only that but if you actually got ganked by an invader it was kind of obligatory you go hollow, which meant you couldn't be invaded until you go human again, period.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Ice Fist posted:

Just lost 100k souls :negative:

Just tell yourself this is literally pocket change once you hit the halfway mark in ng+

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

If you aren't killing NPCs you get +15 weapons after anor londo. It's the last place where twinks have a small advantage still.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The Shrine of Winter skip is meant to be in the game! The hardest section of it will kill you if you get it wrong. :darksouls:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cyberventurer posted:

Yeah, I think there was like a 5 or 10 minute timer before you could get invaded again, if you died while one was in your game. When I needed to, I tried to have at least one more humanity than necessary if I was going to kindle a bonfire if the boss wasn't dead.

Also looking back, the Way of Blue covenant was loving worthless for me. I stayed in it for all of the first game and nearly all of new game +, and out of every single invasion I ever got, I only had one partner summoned in ever. I'm still trying to decide what covenant I'd like to settle in and stay with (yes, I know there's no penalty for switching anymore) but it's hard to decide. None of them really seem to wow me. :(

It doesn't really matter given that most of the covenants don't give any passive bonuses. If you don't care about doing covenant PvP or having a fancy summon sign, you might as well stick with way of the blue. I think the Way of the Blue covenant would of worked better if it wasn't tied to the Blue Sentinels but rather its own thing. People in the covenant get two rings. One summons friendly shades to protect you if you get invaded, the other lets you be summoned as a shade when a covenant member is invaded. Then it would be like the misfit undeads banding together to protect each other rather than openly declaring yourself to be the Blue Sentinel's bitch. Give them a unique phantom colour and people doing coop will join something other than the sunbros!

Babyface Mingo posted:

Just tell yourself this is literally pocket change once you hit the halfway mark in ng+

No its a PERMANENT STAIN on my character how can I go on knowing I lost that many souls?!? :byodood:

I didn't give a poo poo about losing souls at all in Dark Souls, but now that it tracks every single one I get stressed about losing even the smallest bloodstain. Its pretty dumb but I can't stop myself from fixating on it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Not only that but if you actually got ganked by an invader it was kind of obligatory you go hollow, which meant you couldn't be invaded until you go human again, period.

Yeah, there was never any issue with invasions in the other games since you could easily just opt out entirely. There's not much threat of it here either unless you're in the PvP areas.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Yeah I think you're right. Once I get my fill of the bell, I'll probably just stick to Way of the Blue anyway just on the rare chance I actually help someone in the other covenant actually get to utilize his. :v:

Edit: Oh drat it. I had my back to a cliff when an invader came, and one blocked hit sent me :vince:ing over the side.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 16, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about losing souls at all in Dark Souls, but now that it tracks every single one I get stressed about losing even the smallest bloodstain. Its pretty dumb but I can't stop myself from fixating on it.

it's the same way for me now, too. because enemies have a point where they stop respawning and how those souls are permanently added to your soul memory I feel like souls lost is souls wasted. that's why I started wearing a ring of life protection and have never looked back.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I don't see how you can possibly lose that many souls due to this game having a repairable sacrifice ring. It only costs 3000 souls to repair so if you die you can literally just warp home, repair with the souls that you didn't lose, and then warp back.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
A friend of mine has made a character called "Brave Felicia" with 99 str and 1 int. He is currently getting summoned in the shrine of amana - and he got summoned along with Felicia the Brave. Such poetry!

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Cyberventurer posted:

Yeah I think you're right. Once I get my fill of the bell, I'll probably just stick to Way of the Blue anyway just on the rare chance I actually help someone in the other covenant actually get to utilize his. :v:

I've maxed out all the other covenants that I'm going to do so I'm just chugging through as many new game pluses as I can before I burn out, but I always leave the guardian ring on though so I'd appreciate it for one, it's been fun finally having the fights I saw on screenshots before it came out.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm using the black knight halberd and it's great. My only problem is tight spaces and enemies that get in and stay close. I need something that can deal with enemies at point blank range, but I have no idea what to get.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hikaki posted:

I don't see how you can possibly lose that many souls due to this game having a repairable sacrifice ring. It only costs 3000 souls to repair so if you die you can literally just warp home, repair with the souls that you didn't lose, and then warp back.

it's a little annoying having to warp every time so I have three stockpiled up to act as my lives, hahah

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Safety Scissors posted:

I'm using the black knight halberd and it's great. My only problem is tight spaces and enemies that get in and stay close. I need something that can deal with enemies at point blank range, but I have no idea what to get.

Sounds like a job for Mr Mace, it's got no range, has vertical swings and hits super hard.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Always have a backup mace!

isildur
May 31, 2000

BattleDroids: Flashpoint OH NO! Dekker! IS DOWN! THIS IS Glitch! Taking Command! THIS IS Glich! Taking command! OH NO! Glitch! IS DOWN! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! THIS IS Medusa! Taking command! OH NO! Medusa IS DOWN!

Soon to be part of the Battletech Universe canon.

Internet Kraken posted:

I never got multiply-invaded because 'not hollow' was a state that lasted under 1 minute for me, ever. As soon as I was not-hollow, I'd get invaded and killed.

Maybe I should have been able to beat invaders in Anor Londo, but I wasn't. I was regularly backstabbed from ten feet away and from the front by dudes in gear I'd never seen before. So I just decided to stay hollow except when I wanted to kindle.

It worked, and let me beat the game and the DLC, but it was basically like shutting off all multiplayer for me. Which, given how much fun I'm having with the multiplayer in DS2, was a goddamn shame. I'm human most of the time in DS2, and it's great. And I've been invaded a handful of times (outside of bellcops) and I've won one and lost the rest, and that feels like the right amount of random PvP interrupting my PvE game. Sucks that it's not a fun implementation for the people trying to do the invading, but I'm guessing invading and one-shotting someone who doesn't fight back isn't really what you're looking for anyway, which was my end-game solution for DS1.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually, if you were anywhere around the "meta" pvp levels in Dark Souls in the Expansion maps, it was literally back-to-back-to-back-to-back. The real issue with that being that DS1 netcode was so hosed that more often than not you'd get a string of "failed to invade" which could lock you out of the use of a bonfire for 0, 20, 30+ minutes at a time.

Since I didn't play as a pussy and suicide off a nearby ledge whenever anyone tried to invade, warping to an Expansion zone pretty much locked me out of replenishing resources until I died to an NPC or finally got an invader in and killed them.

isildur posted:

I just decided to stay hollow except when I wanted to kindle.

That's so sad. You missed out on a ton of stuff, including the awesome NPC summon stories like IRON TARKUS.

Grondoth posted:

Lightning spears are too easy to get and too powerful, making miracles the same old type of spellcaster as a hexer or sorcerer. As a cleric since demons, I'd rather see miracles focus more on area support, buffs and healing, as well as offensive powers that are incredible against a certain type of enemy but bad against others. Soul Appease is a good model for this, if it was more focused instead of an ability to kill all hollow things around you.

Powerful sure, but 22 Faith (since you don't have access to spices at that point) is a pretty high barrier to entry as early in the game as Lightning Spears are available. Soul/Greater Soul arrows are much kinder to stat for early on, leaving souls for more hp/stam/weapon-equip-requirements. I don't necessarily disagree in regards to your "too strong" argument, but a much better solution would be preventing someone from attuning more than (x) copies of a given offensive spell/miracle/etc. Weaker spells would allow up to 2 copies, with stronger limiting you to 1. Buffs, heals, utility etc could all be unlimited because they usually fill a niche of some kind.

If anything, pyromancy got poo poo on the most of all the "casting" archetypes in DS2. I want to run around with a dagger and a flaming hand and nuke poo poo from early on in DS2, but I can't. Hell, you don't even get access to the pyro flame itself until after the Wharf boss, and you're still locked to lovely spells with very limited casts and an un-upgraded flame until after you kill the Sinner, when you finally get access to the game's "main" pyro trainer - who doesn't even sell Greater Combustion. Oh by the way, a flame requires rare and expensive catalysts to upgrade now (plus souls of course!). Pyromancy got hosed. Hard.

sushibandit fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2014

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

david... posted:

A host, a red, a white and a blue, the dark souls that was promised. :unsmith:

How was it? I sort of want to join the Blue pleaders so I can facilitate this, cause I don't get anything else from being a Sunbro and everyone's a sunbro anyway.

Also: Lightning spears are too easy to get and too powerful, making miracles the same old type of spellcaster as a hexer or sorcerer. As a cleric since demons, I'd rather see miracles focus more on area support, buffs and healing, as well as offensive powers that are incredible against a certain type of enemy but bad against others. Soul Appease is a good model for this, if it was more focused instead of an ability to kill all hollow things around you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sushibandit posted:

Actually, if you were anywhere around the "meta" pvp levels in Dark Souls in the Expansion maps, it was literally back-to-back-to-back-to-back. The real issue with that being that DS1 netcode was so hosed that more often than not you'd get a string of "failed to invade" which could lock you out of the use of a bonfire for 0, 20, 30+ minutes at a time.

Since I didn't play as a pussy and suicide off a nearby ledge whenever anyone tried to invade, warping to an Expansion zone pretty much locked me out of replenishing resources until I died to an NPC or finally got an invader in and killed them.

Yeah I played that expansion too and know that is a complete load. The only place that would ever happen was the Oolacile Township bonfire, and that's because it was the PvP place.

EDIT: Combo weapons are obnoxious in PvP. Yeah the combos are slow and easy to avoid, but oh wait because of lag you're getting hit from across the room. I got stunlocked and killed by a guy spinning around like an idiot 5 feet away from me.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 16, 2014

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Finally got the poo poo I needed to powerstance two velstaldt bells. Now I have too much SM for PvP. SM is the worst thing ever.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Grondoth posted:

How was it? I sort of want to join the Blue pleaders so I can facilitate this, cause I don't get anything else from being a Sunbro and everyone's a sunbro anyway.

Also: Lightning spears are too easy to get and too powerful, making miracles the same old type of spellcaster as a hexer or sorcerer. As a cleric since demons, I'd rather see miracles focus more on area support, buffs and healing, as well as offensive powers that are incredible against a certain type of enemy but bad against others. Soul Appease is a good model for this, if it was more focused instead of an ability to kill all hollow things around you.

It's been pretty fun the three times it's happened now in NG+ but it's still not even remotely a common occurrence, I killed one red, assisted against another and the third guy jumped off a cliff when the odds weren't in his favour, I like knowing I'm potentially helping somebody avoid losing progress or losing a bloodstain, it's cool and I wish they'd not made the mistakes they made so it could be happening all the time in people's first play-through.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I take back what I said about pvp being interesting, NG+ it all goes to poo poo and everyone's using Top Tier Weapons (tm)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is the black knight greatsword good enough to warrant putting 12 levels into intelligence and faith to meet its requirements for? It has the same moveset as the drangleic sword, but is it stronger?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Bobnumerotres posted:

Finally got the poo poo I needed to powerstance two velstaldt bells. Now I have too much SM for PvP. SM is the worst thing ever.

What is your SM?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

I take back what I said about pvp being interesting, NG+ it all goes to poo poo and everyone's using Top Tier Weapons (tm)

I'm not sure why you would expect anything else. It's not like it's different in the last two games, or in fact any game with multiplayer ever.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gazaar posted:

What is your SM?

It's over 7 million. I mean I can still get bridge pvp it just takes forever, whereas before I didn't even complete the dragon sign animation before I got summoned.

People at higher SMs also tend to be shitheads at level 250 with crazy-good everything. I don't know why they didn't just put a hard cap in-game of 150, and disable SM tiers in NG+.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 16, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Is the black knight greatsword good enough to warrant putting 12 levels into intelligence and faith to meet its requirements for? It has the same moveset as the drangleic sword, but is it stronger?

it's just an adequate weapon. I don't think it's worth speccing specifically for.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone know a good streamer that does Dark Souls stuff? All the people I usually watch stream don't do anything, and I figure it might be fun to watch how other people play while I wait for arena fights.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Internet Kraken posted:

Anyone know a good streamer that does Dark Souls stuff? All the people I usually watch stream don't do anything, and I figure it might be fun to watch how other people play while I wait for arena fights.

I've been watching http://www.twitch.tv/elajjaz . He seems to mostly do speedruns and gimmick PvP. Last I watched he was trying to get a bleed claw, Wolverine build to work, but I think he might have given up on that. (Because claws are worthless)

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Kild posted:

What about giving your staff 0 or negative cast speed? Does it still affect it? It could be a problem with how you're changing the staff castspeed.

Negative values are considered hyper-positive in terms of cast speed.

-1 cast speed is actually the "highest" you can go, more or less.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hikaki posted:

I have it, and had been using it. I was silly though. I killed the Smelter Demon, got to the next bonfire. A perfect place to warp back to Majula and repair the ring, but I got greedy. Then died to a fire trap like an idiot. Then I was like 'well all I need to do if get 3000 souls, that's like three/four enemies.

Promptly died to the first enemy as if I had just picked the game up.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

That weapon is loving amazing. Ridiculous reach, and I can routinely hit dudes for 8-900 points of damage with my stab (though that may be because I like to wear the Leo ring).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ice Fist posted:

I have it, and had been using it. I was silly though. I killed the Smelter Demon, got to the next bonfire. A perfect place to warp back to Majula and repair the ring, but I got greedy. Then died to a fire trap like an idiot. Then I was like 'well all I need to do if get 3000 souls, that's like three/four enemies.

Promptly died to the first enemy as if I had just picked the game up.

Yeah, I'm an idiot.

I'm pretty sure the standard reply at this point is "The real Dark Souls starts here" is that passé?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

So for the none if you out there following the "time_pants tries to get the Monastery Scimitar" saga, my friend got one on his very first Ascetic and is mercifully going to let me have it.

My question is this: does it complement the Crypt Blacksword well, or is another mainhand weapon a considerably better fit? I was thinking of sticking with the Dagger, but the damage on that drat thing is so hilariously terrible outside of backstabs and ripostes that I can't imagine trying to use it as a serious PvE weapon.