Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dillbag posted:

I thought the symbiote had an aversion to sound, not fire?

It's both. Carnage is IIRC more vulnerable to fire but less to sound. (It might be vice-versa.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
It must be humiliating to be at the mercy of any two-bit Joe on the street with a bic.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Who What Now posted:

It must be humiliating to be at the mercy of any two-bit Joe on the street with a bic.

Poor J'onn

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Who What Now posted:

It's got to be extreme heat IIRC. A lighter won't do it but a flamethrower will.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I posted the page I did because it's Howard Mackie clearly not understanding how Venom is supposed to work and I know it makes Gavok very upset.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The symbiote always nestled snugly against Eddie Brock's junk.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Somehow I'd never seen the cover of FF #212 before:

:corsair: :corsair: :corsair:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

ImpAtom posted:

It's got to be extreme heat IIRC. A lighter won't do it but a flamethrower will.

You think a can of hair spray and a lighter would be enough?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Norns posted:

You think a can of hair spray and a lighter would be enough?

If it's good enough for Big Boss it's good enough for Venom.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

techknight posted:

Somehow I'd never seen the cover of FF #212 before:

:corsair: :corsair: :corsair:
Put some frizzy hair on The Thing and he could be a Frank Miller femme fatale.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

It's both.

The symbiosis also leaves the host extremely vulnerable to psychic attacks. Basically anyone can beat up Venom.

I like the Earth X take better where Venom isn't invincible against psychic attacks, but makes it hard on the telepath to make it work since you have two very different minds overlapping.

Lurdiak posted:

I posted the page I did because it's Howard Mackie clearly not understanding how Venom is supposed to work and I know it makes Gavok very upset.

Yes. Yes it does.

I think Bendis had it at the other extreme once where Venom rose from a fiery explosion with no dire effects.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

ImpAtom posted:

If it's good enough for Big Boss it's good enough for Venom.

Ha! It works on two levels!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Gavok posted:

I like the Earth X take better where Venom isn't invincible against psychic attacks, but makes it hard on the telepath to make it work since you have two very different minds overlapping.

Yes. Yes it does.

I think Bendis had it at the other extreme once where Venom rose from a fiery explosion with no dire effects.
Yeah I get "Fire bad! Sonic bad!" but generally "Alien space beast" is where psychic powers work LESS, unless you explicitly needed an extra weakness to slap on for narrative convenience.

Poor psychic powers. They have such a wild ride between they extremes of "Immediate best solution" and "loving useless or we put you on the bench, sorry"

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Section Z posted:

Poor psychic powers. They have such a wild ride between they extremes of "Immediate best solution" and "loving useless or we put you on the bench, sorry"

Psychic powers are always totally effective. Psychics just make you think they fail sometimes because they don't want to be constantly bothered by people trooping in to demand that they solve all their problems. Same reason sorcerers always have houses that are impossible to get into unless they want you there, or Nick Fury is constantly faking his own death.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

It could be both!

quote:

Yes. Yes it does.

The worst part is that that's JRjr at what I consider to be his artistic peak, drawing the hell out of Venom, for a completely stupid go-nowhere storyline.

quote:

Bendis forgot that 616 Carnage doesn't absorb life energy like the Ultimate version. Dan Slott also had Venom-Spock land on a flaming car for dramatic effect and not suffer any consequences. The symbiote continuity gets no respect.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Presumably the Venom symbiote Spider-Man picked up from that machine he thought was going to repair his costume towards the end of Secret Wars was one of a species, right? I know that whole series was just to sell new toys, but has anything been done with a gaggle of symbiotes loving stuff up? Or is the symbiote really the only one of its kind?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

A Strange Aeon posted:

Presumably the Venom symbiote Spider-Man picked up from that machine he thought was going to repair his costume towards the end of Secret Wars was one of a species, right? I know that whole series was just to sell new toys, but has anything been done with a gaggle of symbiotes loving stuff up? Or is the symbiote really the only one of its kind?

The very last issue of Cable & Deadpool involved a truckload of Dinosaur Venom Symbiotes IIRC. It was a nice capstone for the series after a lot of angst and Cable's death because it showed that yes, Deadpool could actually be heroic. Early C&D Deadpool would've merged with a Symbiote and not looked back, late C&D Deadpool had enough mental fortitude to resist it.

I couldn't bring myself to read any of Space Knight Venom what with all the stolen asset poser model backgrounds and such, but don't the Guardians treat symbiotes kinda like interstellar mice/rats? I'm probably misremembering.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 23, 2017

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The Venom symbiote is part of a race of symbiotes called the Klyntar. Apparently Venom was hosed up mentally, and after visiting its homeworld for, like, a brain checkup, it stopped being all weird, brain-eating, and psychopathic.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Yoda has an excellent training system.

Unrelated, but does anyone remember a comic that was about a group of people complaining about having to kill Dracula?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So mysterious that it's deforming Luke's arms.

Sesquiculus
Aug 15, 2002

Gann Jerrod posted:

Unrelated, but does anyone remember a comic that was about a group of people complaining about having to kill Dracula?

This one?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

That's exactly it, thanks.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

It's both.

The symbiosis also leaves the host extremely vulnerable to psychic attacks. Basically anyone can beat up Venom.

I remember reading this when I was 10 years old and even then I thought this page was bullshit.

It's not really a thrilling read to have your superhero go " Boy fighting one of my arch enemies sure is tedious and predictable."

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Phylodox posted:

The Venom symbiote is part of a race of symbiotes called the Klyntar. Apparently Venom was hosed up mentally, and after visiting its homeworld for, like, a brain checkup, it stopped being all weird, brain-eating, and psychopathic.

For about five minutes, then it went right back to being that way.

Also now I think some random mook has the Venom symbiote now and is using it to join Black Cat's gang or something stupid like that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also now I think some random mook has the Venom symbiote now and is using it to join Black Cat's gang or something stupid like that.

That lasted like ten minutes, he's back with Eddie Brock now.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Nope, Eddie has it again and it's at a weird half way point of wanting to murder everything, but in order to rescue people. It's like it was lobotomized and makes the early Toxin symbiote characterization look like loving Albert Einstein. I don't know why they didn't just have it breed again and make the new one go to Brock and just kick Space Knight Venom off Earth. It's not like Marvel has issues with havign multiple characters use the same code-name.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monaghan posted:

It's not really a thrilling read to have your superhero go " Boy fighting one of my arch enemies sure is tedious and predictable."

Hey man, everybody hates their job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

good day for a bris posted:

Nope, Eddie has it again and it's at a weird half way point of wanting to murder everything, but in order to rescue people. It's like it was lobotomized and makes the early Toxin symbiote characterization look like loving Albert Einstein. I don't know why they didn't just have it breed again and make the new one go to Brock and just kick Space Knight Venom off Earth. It's not like Marvel has issues with havign multiple characters use the same code-name.

I find it realy weird that the resolution to the Agent Venom plot is Flash losing it randomly and going "welp guess it's gone that's kinda sad hope you're okay buddy!!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

good day for a bris posted:

Eddie was already Toxin and acting exactly like old school Venom, but red. Do they even address that in this new book?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Eddie was already Toxin and acting exactly like old school Venom, but red. Do they even address that in this new book?

He gave up Toxin in the Carnage book IIRC.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

ImpAtom posted:

I find it realy weird that the resolution to the Agent Venom plot is Flash looking it randomly and going "welp guess it's gone that's kinda sad hope you're okay buddy!!"

Oh I know, it's a really lovely way of handling it all. It's especially baffling because they already fuckign did this not that long ago twice when they gave Eddie Anti-Venom and then Toxin.

I'm not sure about the quality of the book, the original issues were lovely but I heard it got slightly better once Eddie got it, I just don't care enough to actually read it.

edit: looks like everyone already picked up my thought as I was writing it. It still baffles me that they keep doing this to him, only for him to do the exact same thing with another color suit. Like it's not even different characterizations anymore, they're basically palette swapped Mortal Kombat ninjas at this point.

good day for a bris fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 23, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

He gave up Toxin in the Carnage book IIRC.

Which Carnage book?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Which Carnage book?

This issue in particular.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

A Strange Aeon posted:

There were a slew of arcs (I think...this about the time I was bowing out of comics) that had tons of symbiotes. Symbiote War or some nonsense. There was the yellow-lady one and a blue one and a bunch of others. This was like right after Carnage was first introduced.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Ferrule posted:

There were a slew of arcs (I think...this about the time I was bowing out of comics) that had tons of symbiotes. Symbiote War or some nonsense. There was the yellow-lady one and a blue one and a bunch of others. This was like right after Carnage was first introduced.

There's now a tiny part of me that wants to see the Rainbow Symbiotes fight the Emotional Spectrum of Power Rings.

And then Amalgamize the concept.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Its almost as if comics don't give a hoot in hell about continuity as long as it brings in the :homebrew:

I'm annoyed about Venom going back to being pseudo-evil, though. If you're gonna fix a characters brain, at least make it stick for a while.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

I am a child, but I found this comic (Shirtless Bear Fighter #1) hilarious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love this comic more than life itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jordan7hm posted:

I am a child, but I found this comic (Shirtless Bear Fighter #1) hilarious.

Well I think I have to buy this now. This kind of super dumb humor reminds me of God Hates Astronauts and I love that.