Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i think to unlock the market quest and to be able to understand the item i need to have the seeds, which is amazing, to me

i actually like agricraft but i would have preferred to be able to have better storage options than colossal chests and more passive resource generation options than bonsai pots (which admittedly own) while plowing through it

I actually suggested on the MSB3 discord suggestions channel to have half of AE2 open early and available for the basic storage stuff, and then gate the complicated stuff behind a later thing, and got shouted down by people yelling about how 'you should just use colossal chests and stuff duh'.

Playing through a gigantic skyblock pack with a shitton of stuff in it without AE2 is just The loving Worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Falcon2001 posted:

I actually suggested on the MSB3 discord suggestions channel to have half of AE2 open early and available for the basic storage stuff, and then gate the complicated stuff behind a later thing, and got shouted down by people yelling about how 'you should just use colossal chests and stuff duh'.

Playing through a gigantic skyblock pack with a shitton of stuff in it without AE2 is just The loving Worst.

I really dont like colossal chests. It's the equivelent of digging a hole in the ground and throwing your stuff in there.

And in MSB3 you end up with every single one of them (at least in 2 you used the previous tier to make the next)

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i also heard that colossal chests blow rear end for performance if you have items piping in or out of them

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

President Ark posted:

okay, all the mild annoyances of sevtech so far have been totally worth it because the betweenlands are incredibly rad
They're cool as gently caress and I'd happily play a whole pack built around it. The only problem is it's even more hardware intensive than regular minecraft, by quite a lot.
Also wights really suck (even with the Valonite sword which ultimately didn't seem that strong) and I never really reached a point where they weren't a significant threat.

Cerepol posted:

Does SevTech dowsing rod (age 1) show Coal ore? I've found several surface samples yet it keeps saying "nothin to report"
Like taiyoko said, if the ore generates close enough to the surface (within 48 blocks -- the plumb line can help detect) then you can usually find it just by going around and scanning surface blocks on the top, so it'll scan in vertical columns down into the dirt. Just make sure you stick to the same chunk the surface ore samples spawned in and you should find it pretty quick. Deeper veins can take longer, and I've never found the "it spawns in one of the corners" advice to be accurate, but since at least some of the vein will always be in the same chunk you'll find it eventually.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

i heard somewhere that in sevtech the southeast corner of a chunk almost always has the ore vein in it, but i haven't actually verified that

Vaxine
Apr 3, 2005

Falcon2001 posted:

AE2 is just The loving Worst.

Not wrong there.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Welp, Craft of the Titans 2 just hit the point of being absurd and unfun.

You get the materials to build a Tier 3 rocket right away, which is great. It was super neat to visit the planets and set up some space bases with stargates (and discover that the acid rain on Venus melts armor very quickly!). Then because I'm impatient and wanted to see one of the super bosses, I popped over to Mercury and summoned Hades.

It's a hundred foot tall Spider Mastermind from Doom with 7000 HP and endless summons of tiny awful spiders, Cacademons, and a couple shielding phases where you have to kill some spider masterminds that are ONLY 20 feet tall. I can't figure out any reasonable setup or gear or anything that would make this a reasonable thing so I just creative-killed it to see what was next.

Well obviously it's making Avarita neutronium junk and funnelling literally billions of RF into a black hole to manufacture the runes and nether stars to do.. things? And also crawl each planet from Tier 3 up to build to a Tier 10 rocket and kill more ridiculous gods along the way.

No thanks. I was having fun with chickens and stargates but that's it for me. The first half of the pack is pretty rad but it goes from cool and chill to batshit crazy pretty instantly.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

No thanks. I was having fun with chickens and stargates but that's it for me. The first half of the pack is pretty rad but it goes from cool and chill to batshit crazy pretty instantly.
That's basically every pack. I can't really remember the last one I even completed.
E: Aftermath. Skyblock-ish stuff in a space station. Was actually pretty good and not terribly grindy.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 22, 2018

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I loved Aftermath. Except dying of overheating to blazes. But turning on keepinventory fixed the biggest issue there.

Oh yes I turned off spoilage too because of inventory stuff. I mean, I had a field full of crops to keep fresh but items not stacking was a killer.

For those that don't know: you start off in a damaged asteroid mining base, oxygen has run out and you need to get it running again. But you're given tools to do that and just need to feed ice into an oxygen-generator (which is abundant) and then you get materials by mining what the asteroid is made out of (different kinds of clay which have different drops depending on the colour) and feeding it into a sieve with an automonous activator that you start with that requires no power. It uses Enviromine instead of Galacticraft to have a space environment too, which is really interesting, so eventually you can just grow trees in your livingspace to provide all the oxygen you need.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 23, 2018

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Turning off heat mechanics saved my run. In retrospect I should've turned off food spoilage too, since it wasn't difficult but did make inventory management more obnoxious.
Still overall a very clever and reasonably-long pack that took a clever spin on skyblock mechanics.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

tried out crimson skies

like 6 quests in it is all "oh yeah agricraft exists"

welp there goes a ton of motivation

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

tried out crimson skies

like 6 quests in it is all "oh yeah agricraft exists"

welp there goes a ton of motivation
Honestly, I'd stick with it. As far as I can tell it's only there to breed the mystical flowers (because you'll need dye on demand) and since they give you a watering can basically right off the bat, it doesn't take long. They don't want or expect you to breed to 10/10/10 at all. Once you get the mystic flowers set you don't have to touch it, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Plus, I don't know if this is a change in Agricraft itself or if it's the pack doing it, but crops spread to other crop sticks naturally. Not cross-crops, just regular sticks, which means duplicating crops is free. As a bonus, it means cross-crops ONLY host mutations, so no more throwing down cross-crops and just getting one of the crops cloning itself. You always get a mutation. It's a lot more manageable this way.

The Astral Sorcery focus that follows, and some of the clever things they do with that, definitely help as well. The pack cuts through the bullshit there as well, by giving you maxed out collector crystals almost immediately, ensuring you'll never want for starlight power.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly, I'd stick with it. As far as I can tell it's only there to breed the mystical flowers (because you'll need dye on demand) and since they give you a watering can basically right off the bat, it doesn't take long. They don't want or expect you to breed to 10/10/10 at all. Once you get the mystic flowers set you don't have to touch it, at least not for the foreseeable future.

Plus, I don't know if this is a change in Agricraft itself or if it's the pack doing it, but crops spread to other crop sticks naturally. Not cross-crops, just regular sticks, which means duplicating crops is free. As a bonus, it means cross-crops ONLY host mutations, so no more throwing down cross-crops and just getting one of the crops cloning itself. You always get a mutation. It's a lot more manageable this way.

The Astral Sorcery focus that follows, and some of the clever things they do with that, definitely help as well. The pack cuts through the bullshit there as well, by giving you maxed out collector crystals almost immediately, ensuring you'll never want for starlight power.

Maybe I'll give it another go. I did appreciate that, like, the second quest gave me a diamond builder's wand. I have pretty much burned through that thing already.

Since it's Garden of Glass, I think I'll cheat in a creative vending drawer of cobblestone. Otherwise, I'm just sitting there with weights on my keyboard and mouse to farm cobblestone.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Does anyone know why the Nether would be lagging to the point of unplayability in CotT2?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Maybe I'll give it another go. I did appreciate that, like, the second quest gave me a diamond builder's wand. I have pretty much burned through that thing already.

Since it's Garden of Glass, I think I'll cheat in a creative vending drawer of cobblestone. Otherwise, I'm just sitting there with weights on my keyboard and mouse to farm cobblestone.
Yeah cobblegen is obnoxious, but you get lava fairly soon into Astral Sorcery by using a lightwell for obsidian. Link a maxed out collector crystal to your lightwell (again, they'll give you one) and wait till night. One piece of obsidian gave me like 9 buckets of lava, and then you can turn snow to water and make a standard cobblegen, which is considerably faster than pebbles.
Though since sand is affected by gravity it's pretty easy to automate an insanely fast sand generator from liquid starlight + lava. Might be wiser to built most of your island out of sandstone at that point.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

Does anyone know why the Nether would be lagging to the point of unplayability in CotT2?

What's your view distance set to?

Edit: Tried CotT II and.... ugh. Lycanites mobs are just the worst. How long does it take to progress past the wasteland? Do you eventually make it to some nicer area?

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Apr 23, 2018

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ive been trying the sevtech one. Still in age 0 or 1, i dont know.

Creepers blowing poo poo up is a pain, so now i drop cat totems everywhere.

But

i was running around somewhere at night when i hear some rattling of bones. I ran behind a tree, fearing for my life, when the skeleton let out a DOOT!

Me and my son just laughed for a solid 3 or 4 minutes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Meskhenet posted:

Ive been trying the sevtech one. Still in age 0 or 1, i dont know.

Creepers blowing poo poo up is a pain, so now i drop cat totems everywhere.

But

i was running around somewhere at night when i hear some rattling of bones. I ran behind a tree, fearing for my life, when the skeleton let out a DOOT!

Me and my son just laughed for a solid 3 or 4 minutes.

I love the trumpet skeletons. Toot Toot

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Arkitektbmw posted:

What's your view distance set to?

Edit: Tried CotT II and.... ugh. Lycanites mobs are just the worst. How long does it take to progress past the wasteland? Do you eventually make it to some nicer area?

Not sure about my view distance, I'll check that out.

You warp to a standard overworld at the end of the second questbook chapter in CotT. This is where the modpack really opens up. Honestly, the wasteland section isn't too bad, as long as you stay indoors during the night.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Maybe.... Maybe it's not better with add-ons.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wotta shitshow.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Minecraft modding is going down a slippery slope.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Anyone who thinks wolf harnesses were a good idea should not be in charge of making mods.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I've been playing through Blightfall again because it is still my favorite modpack, and just found something funny:

You can make Cheesecake with Flour, Heavy Cream, Sugar, Eggs, and a Bakeware - all renewable ingredients, and the Bakeware is reusable. It has 3 Metallum and a Fames in it. So if I figure out how to get more milk readily, once I get Alchemy set up I can loving mass produce metal indefinitely from Cheesecake. I love Thaumcraft :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

I've been playing through Blightfall again because it is still my favorite modpack, and just found something funny:

You can make Cheesecake with Flour, Heavy Cream, Sugar, Eggs, and a Bakeware - all renewable ingredients, and the Bakeware is reusable. It has 3 Metallum and a Fames in it. So if I figure out how to get more milk readily, once I get Alchemy set up I can loving mass produce metal indefinitely from Cheesecake. I love Thaumcraft :allears:

I would have thought a bloodwood farm would be more direct. That has been my means for mass-producing metals in Blightfall. I just turned the milk into sano and spun out the rest into ordo--of which I needed tons and tons.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There's a pretty cool gimmick skyblock called Skytouched - Legacy of the Cursed that just came out, and it's definitely not like anything I've seen before. Lots of early game conceits and allowances for free stuff (for instance snow is free, just requires some intentional dupe-crafting, so you can expand using Quark's snow bricks early on), but more useful items are still locked behind things like combustion. Integrates world-adaptive crafting too, like turning coarse dirt to grass when it's near water, or clay to hardened clay in the sun (and back again, in the rain).

The real gimmick of the premise here though is:
1. There is a world down below you, but it's choked in poisonous miasma and going down to the surface withers you the longer you stay in it.
2. You have infinite fireworks and an unbreakable elytra and can fly forever.

So you can shortcut (or at least bolster) typical skyblock progression by flying down to the surface and grabbing supplies, but you can't stay long and additionally, monsters spawn in huge amounts.
Also, and this surprised me, the world is limited in size (2000x2000) and pre-generated, rather than random, so you are guaranteed to have various features and biomes. It's a nice little touch, getting to know the lay of the world.

If you're gonna play, some advice: Probably turn off nausea with a mod like "NoNausea" if you're not a fan of the effect. I'd also recommend maybe removing the mod that forces third person when you fly. Focus on food early on and getting a sustainable farm/garden. Special saplings like apple trees, spider trees, and paperbark trees go a long way. And you can harvest Pam's Garden blocks in whole by shift + left-clicking, to farm them to duplication in your base.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I would have thought a bloodwood farm would be more direct. That has been my means for mass-producing metals in Blightfall. I just turned the milk into sano and spun out the rest into ordo--of which I needed tons and tons.

I hadn't thought of that because I am bad!

Vib Rib posted:

There's a pretty cool gimmick skyblock called Skytouched - Legacy of the Cursed that just came out, and it's definitely not like anything I've seen before. Lots of early game conceits and allowances for free stuff (for instance snow is free, just requires some intentional dupe-crafting, so you can expand using Quark's snow bricks early on), but more useful items are still locked behind things like combustion. Integrates world-adaptive crafting too, like turning coarse dirt to grass when it's near water, or clay to hardened clay in the sun (and back again, in the rain).

The real gimmick of the premise here though is:
1. There is a world down below you, but it's choked in poisonous miasma and going down to the surface withers you the longer you stay in it.
2. You have infinite fireworks and an unbreakable elytra and can fly forever.

So you can shortcut (or at least bolster) typical skyblock progression by flying down to the surface and grabbing supplies, but you can't stay long and additionally, monsters spawn in huge amounts.
Also, and this surprised me, the world is limited in size (2000x2000) and pre-generated, rather than random, so you are guaranteed to have various features and biomes. It's a nice little touch, getting to know the lay of the world.

If you're gonna play, some advice: Probably turn off nausea with a mod like "NoNausea" if you're not a fan of the effect. I'd also recommend maybe removing the mod that forces third person when you fly. Focus on food early on and getting a sustainable farm/garden. Special saplings like apple trees, spider trees, and paperbark trees go a long way. And you can harvest Pam's Garden blocks in whole by shift + left-clicking, to farm them to duplication in your base.

This is cool as gently caress, I really like the gimmick.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

How long did it take to make the sevtech mod pack I wonder? My wife and I have been playing it and usually I'm bored a dozen hours into a mod pack but this one just continues to deliver with a progression system that doesn't feel grindy yet.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Magres posted:

Are you able to make a cow in a bottle? If so, you can just pull milk out of that.

edit: the cow in a bottle is perhaps the most inspired crafting recipe ever

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Skytouched has a cool gimmick but it puts way too much focus on avoiding starvation for my taste. Also it looks like you need to bank up exp to survive on the landmass but you can't do that since you constantly lose exp when an offering isn't active, and all the offerings are either prohibitively expensive, make you useless, or kill you?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Random throwback question if anyone remembers, does Blightfall have any good mass-produceable sources of Lucrum?

E: Hrm, I suppose if I can find an unblighted villager I could capture them and clone them forever in an MFR spawner and melt the clones for emeralds for Lucrum. God, this game is psychotic sometimes.

Magres fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 24, 2018

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Just wondering,

why are all the modern modpacks not that interesting?

Why can't we get 1.12 packs like Blightfall, End of Light, YCC Agrarian Skies Hexxit et al

(Yes i know that there is MSB and other up to date ones)
The problem is all the modern ones are not as gripping as the originals, we need some new story type packs - but some that are useable on MP servers rather than just single player.

Blightfall doesnt work in MP Regrowth however does.

Galacticraft is old and a little dated maybe there could be a better more up to date setup, I remember when i played on a MUCK or MUD I had a space system that provided "REAL" space without infinite storage needed,

The concept was each person was in a small room (region) and as they moved around their "location" was updated and when someone entered the same "room" they were in the same "dimension" and all other empty space areas did not exist.
Maybe we could have a real space system on 1.12 that could actually use that sort of system meaning that there are only the max dimensions as the number of players currently online plus the locations of the "planets" and Spacestations etc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

TheresaJayne posted:

Blightfall doesnt work in MP

wrong

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Magres posted:

Random throwback question if anyone remembers, does Blightfall have any good mass-produceable sources of Lucrum?

E: Hrm, I suppose if I can find an unblighted villager I could capture them and clone them forever in an MFR spawner and melt the clones for emeralds for Lucrum. God, this game is psychotic sometimes.

Where do you think you're going to find an untainted villager?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

ok how do you have the bases shared between 1000000 people

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

McFrugal posted:

Where do you think you're going to find an untainted villager?

It's easy to untaint villagers. I had like 40 of them all locked up in a box when I played Blightfall. I put a bunch of hungry chests under them as they occasionally poop out emeralds. Also if I ever needed more emeralds I could just trade them bread and cooked chickens or whatever.

I just grabbed untainted villagers with the safari net launcher, dragged them home, and then...I think it was a wand focus? Anyway it was a repeatable way to clear taint. Not very useful for fighting back the taint all told but it could untaint mobs. Came in handy. Once I had a few reusable safari nets it was stupidly easy to go clear villages of their villagers then bring them home and cure them.

...then lock them in a box forever for their emeralds because apparently I'm terrible.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
^^^ well making an untainted villager is one thing, finding one is another.

Hah, Skytouched pulled a fast one. At the beginning you have to be careful about going down to the surface because the poison will hurt you and thus indirectly drain your hunger bar. As soon as you get a farm going however you're strongly encouraged to go down there to get most everything else because it's a pain in the rear end to get stuff otherwise. Like, getting lava requires blaze powder which is made through combustion... by combusting Fel Pumpkins. At a 1:1 ratio. Not a great idea. Just go down and grab some lava from a surface lake.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

TheresaJayne posted:

Each dome is literally designed for teams of four people.

TheresaJayne posted:

Just wondering,

why are all the modern modpacks not that interesting?

Why can't we get 1.12 packs like Blightfall, End of Light, YCC Agrarian Skies Hexxit et al

(Yes i know that there is MSB and other up to date ones)
The problem is all the modern ones are not as gripping as the originals, we need some new story type packs - but some that are useable on MP servers rather than just single player.

Blightfall doesnt work in MP Regrowth however does.

Galacticraft is old and a little dated maybe there could be a better more up to date setup, I remember when i played on a MUCK or MUD I had a space system that provided "REAL" space without infinite storage needed,

The concept was each person was in a small room (region) and as they moved around their "location" was updated and when someone entered the same "room" they were in the same "dimension" and all other empty space areas did not exist.
Maybe we could have a real space system on 1.12 that could actually use that sort of system meaning that there are only the max dimensions as the number of players currently online plus the locations of the "planets" and Spacestations etc.

Are you drunk or something? What is this rambling nonsense and how did you go from talking about enjoyable questing modpacks to how your experiences on a a MUD should relate to Minecraft? Plus with Galacticraft and Advanced Rocketry they only have a single dimension per planet not per person playing, and people are in various places in the dimension the same way they are in the overworld.

And 'where people are doesn't exist' is literally how Minecraft works in the first place; chunks are only loaded when people are in them (or chunkloaders are used). If you want 'the world generates around the player and then goes away forever when the player moves away from it, all on the fly' there's no mod that can do that because that's not how Minecraft works.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

TheresaJayne posted:

What are End of Light and YCC? I've never heard of that first one and I don't recognize the acronym on the second.

TheresaJayne posted:

How the gently caress are you gonna have 1000000 people on any Minecraft server regardless of what pack it is?

McFrugal posted:

Skytouched has a cool gimmick but it puts way too much focus on avoiding starvation for my taste. Also it looks like you need to bank up exp to survive on the landmass but you can't do that since you constantly lose exp when an offering isn't active, and all the offerings are either prohibitively expensive, make you useless, or kill you?
Every 5 different foods you eat you get +1 heart. I think you can get something like 200 hearts total this way -- it's pretty generous. You also heal passively all the time regardless of hunger, and if you go above Y=260 you're instantly healed to full no matter what. Surviving on the landmass gets increasingly easy.
As for XP, you're meant to bank experience and withdraw it as needed. Since offerings being inactive drains XP, your best bet is to either bank immediately when the offering wears off, or chain offerings (or withdrawls of XP) to keep them going, then bank at the end (or use it as needed if you're actively on the island). At the start the sacrifices/rituals are your only method, but later on you're much better off paying money or sacrificing mob souls to get much better offerings that last a long time.
The three rituals that give challenges/penalties (hunger, mobs, and slowness) are more meant to create bankable XP than be used as a way of surviving on the landmass or getting deeper down. Slowness, for instance, only affects your ability to walk -- you can still hop around and fly. So it might be worth turning on before going on an exploratory mission, traveling somewhere farther away, or just mapping your world. You'll be airborne almost that whole time anyway.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Apr 24, 2018