Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Kerrrrrrr posted:

76 is the only offense hero i can really stand to play, but i suck at aiming cause i don't play CoD. i find healing as lucio/mercy to be boring and zenyatta is rather punishing to play.

I've been trying a reasonable drill someone mentioned (a streamer? i dont remember) which is to get on a moving platform in the training map and gun down as many robots per lap as possible with just your primary fire (they said 5-6 per lap is a good starting goal). There pattern the moving ones use isn't consistent lap to lap so you do have to use some tracking. This isn't a good way to practice tracking while doing footsies but it does force you to burst fire and track pretty well.

Improving at 76 is its own reward.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Ddraig posted:

Junkrat is fine on attack. He's in the same camp as soldier 76 in that there's no situation in which they wouldn't be helpful.

There are actually a ton of situations in which Junkrat is not helpful, and a few where 76 is not helpful as well

Zoness posted:

I've been trying a reasonable drill someone mentioned which is to get on a moving platform in the training map and gun down as many robots per lap as possible with just your primary fire (they said 5-6 per lap is a good starting goal). There pattern the moving ones use isn't consistent lap to lap so you do have to use some tracking. This isn't a good way to practice tracking while doing footsies but it does force you to burst fire and track pretty well.

Improving at 76 is its own reward.

I did not do much in the way of practicing on the training grounds, but the foundation of my OW experience was built on 76 and I feel like that's helped me a lot in terms of how good I am at the game (which is to say: I'm not pro, but I gold medal with enough frequency that I feel fine about how I do in my likely-lovely bracket)

76 is a really great character to just play a bunch because he forces you to think in terms of actual strategy - he lacks an overwhelming "okay, I win now" mechanic but is relatively easy to pick up and play, so you will wind up being forced to consider your geography, opponent's comp, priority targets, etc. in a way that, say, just picking Junkrat every game would not

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Ddraig posted:

Junkrat is fine on attack. He's in the same camp as soldier 76 in that there's no situation in which they wouldn't be helpful.

Dunno man I love the Rat but you should probably consider switching off him if the Situation involves multiple opposing Pharahs or Zaryas

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
As a non-FPS player, I've found practicing on robots to be very helpful, but it eventually wears its use thin because they move so predictably. Try as many drills as you can, from many different distances, until robots get boring. Then, I did bot skrimishes with teams full of Zenyatta with 25% damage, 300% health, and 200% healing. You won't kill anything, but nothing will kill you either. Practicing on that helped a little as well.

More than anything, you just have to suck it up and take losses on characters you're not good at until you start playing them well. It took me forever to be anything but totally useless with McCree, but now I do pretty decent. Lost a lot of games getting there, but it was worth it to expand my character choices.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think anyone really needs a nerf atm

mercy's ult is the only thing that's even questionable atm

Reinhardt, though I honestly cannot say he needs a nerf as much as I feel he needs a slight rework. His shield enables so many cheesy, annoying tactics that require more teamwork than the average pubbie group can muster up to get past. I'm not saying he's unbeatable, or that he's invincible or broken. Mostly it's just that no other hero can stymie an uncoordinated team (Which, by definition, is at least 70% of pubs) like he can.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Ddraig posted:

this is an inSANEly spicy take.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zikan posted:

Tryhard thread where we have the controversial opinion that D.Va and Mei are bad
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777487

Inhouse thread where goons love playing Mei and D.Va
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778249

Do not believe this man - I basically can't convince anyone to play D.Va, Mei, Widow, or Winston in inhouses

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Scain-1204

guts and bolts posted:

I also refuse to believe anyone that says they have fun playing Bastion, I don't think he's OP or too stronk or whatever but holding LMB as the core gameplay mechanic strikes me as really bad/weird in a game where everyone else is a goddamn amazing superhero

he is far more fun on offense than defense, where you're running around on the flanks doing weird/stupid poo poo, and you're purely playing a game of timing/positioning so you get 2-3 kills before you inevitably get owned

but i get the same rush with pharah and she's better at it so vOv

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

khy posted:

Reinhardt, though I honestly cannot say he needs a nerf as much as I feel he needs a slight rework. His shield enables so many cheesy, annoying tactics that require more teamwork than the average pubbie group can muster up to get past. I'm not saying he's unbeatable, or that he's invincible or broken. Mostly it's just that no other hero can stymie an uncoordinated team (Which, by definition, is at least 70% of pubs) like he can.

Reinhardt is trivially easy to counter if you Just Add Bastion™, and in fact that's what I find myself doing often against teams that are pre-made that run Rein - pick Bastion, shred his shield, force them to come up with a new strategy

If the Rein is solo queuing or his team is bad, you can eat him alive with Reaper and Tracer especially, and Pharah makes short work of him, too

Disclaimer: I still think Rein is very, very strong

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

guts and bolts posted:

I also refuse to believe anyone that says they have fun playing Bastion, I don't think he's OP or too stronk or whatever but holding LMB as the core gameplay mechanic strikes me as really bad/weird in a game where everyone else is a goddamn amazing superhero

Generally this is true but in my experience it is a poo poo ton of fun where you play a game that earns the Triple Threat achievement, as you both feel like you're actually moving around playing a fun character who is contributing to your team's success actively rather than babysitting the point and the next game when you guys switch roles, the other team is mad as hell they just got owned by Bastion in every way possible and picks four Bastions and you just push the point right through them anyway because they aren't as good at it.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
ran into a team last night that had a roaming reinhardt/zenyatta duo and they were pretty disgusting to turn corner into

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

guts and bolts posted:

I find myself bored to tears playing Junkrat, who I find aesthetically neat and mechanically dull, so I'm not going to be very good at giving you recommendations, BUT I also think you should play Pharah? Who has some of that "haha explosions get hosed" euphoria, except you can fly on a more full-time basis and reliably knock people off the map

"hmm, do I pick a weeaboo wet-dream cyborg ninja with double jumps and combos and a ~dragon sword,~ or do I literally play as a TF2 turret"

i find pharah to be dull mechanically and aesthetically. even thinking about playing pharah is making me depressed. plus it'd be like giving in to the enemy. gently caress pharah.

(besides, i can't aim rockets any better than i can aim hitscan bullets)

bastion is a cute robot that i use to murder winstons.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i find pharah to be dull mechanically and aesthetically. even thinking about playing pharah is making me depressed. plus it'd be like giving in to the enemy. gently caress pharah.

THE OFFICIAL OVERWATCH© MOST POWERFUL "WHICH HEROES ARE MOST FUN?" POWER RANKINGS
S Tier
Genji

A Tier
Tracer
Zenyatta
Pharah
Winston
Roadhog
Mei

B Tier
Reaper
McCree
Soldier: 76
Hanzo
D.Va
Zarya
Mercy

C Tier
Junkrat
Reinhardt
Lucio
Symmetra
Widowmaker
Torbjorn

D Tier
Bastion

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 27, 2016

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i feel bad when i am playing against a v good junkrat because even though he can do some stupid junkrat tricks and blow me out of the sky every now and then he basically has to spend the whole match scurrying for cover

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
switch mei and torbjorn imo

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I dislike playing as and against Rein so I'm with you, but, the easiest way to counter Rein is to just shoot his shield. I often go gold on damage in games against Rein because I'm the only one shooting that shield down, and it goes down pretty quick to a minimally coordinated offense. This could be a solo Bastion, this could be a Roadhog ultimate, whatever. Even as Solider or something. And Rein is usually in front of his team such that I can get free shots at it from my own cover.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kerrrrrrr posted:

The Egyptian character is named Pharah

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i need to just play the dumb game and stop worrying about it.

guts and bolts posted:

THE OFFICIAL OVERWATCH© MOST POWERFUL "WHICH HEROES ARE MOST FUN?" POWER RANKINGS

man this list is so wrong.

Improbable Lobster posted:

The Egyptian character is named Pharah

blizzard name creativity at its finest.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the healer in overwatch is named Mercy

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the soldier in overwatch is named reinhardt

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Mystery Machine posted:

I dislike playing as and against Rein so I'm with you, but, the easiest way to counter Rein is to just shoot his shield. I often go gold on damage in games against Rein because I'm the only one shooting that shield down, and it goes down pretty quick to a minimally coordinated offense. This could be a solo Bastion, this could be a Roadhog ultimate, whatever. Even as Solider or something. And Rein is usually in front of his team such that I can get free shots at it from my own cover.

This is true of a lot of heroes who are otherwise strong but not as strong as pubs seem to think they are; Reinhardt's shield is not an all-access pass to attacking with impunity, and bad players will tunnel vision very hard behind it (and most Reins I've played don't know that some stuff straight up goes through it, like Symmetra orbs)

You can very often steal wins from uncoordinated or not-good enemy teams by just playing Normal Overwatch 101 - it became very apparent with Bastion (where everyone thought he was way too strong and it turns out, nope, he's actually not even very good) so you've seen less of that, but like, I'll have games where I'll kill 12 Torbjorn turrets by myself as Pharah and he just stays with that Torb pick (and usually sets up in the exact same spot he was just in, anyway, only to die again and lose his turret again)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
way to forget that the australians are named after animals

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Kerrrrrrr posted:

man this list is objectively correct, it says so in the title of the list

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Bastion can be kinda fun if you move pretty much any time you can't see an enemy. People expect the turtle Bastion at this point. They don't expect you to reposition yourself aggressively every 10 seconds. That said, I have less than an hour in him just because the other heroes are even more fun. I'm really grateful to the goon gimmick group I was in the other night that went all Junkrat at one point and showed me how fun he is. Trapping annoying Meis and launching grenades into their face is one of life's great pleasures.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 27, 2016

khy
Aug 15, 2005

guts and bolts posted:

Reinhardt is trivially easy to counter if you Just Add Bastion™, and in fact that's what I find myself doing often against teams that are pre-made that run Rein - pick Bastion, shred his shield, force them to come up with a new strategy

If the Rein is solo queuing or his team is bad, you can eat him alive with Reaper and Tracer especially, and Pharah makes short work of him, too

Disclaimer: I still think Rein is very, very strong

I am bad at Bastion. Not because I can't aim, but because I never seem to pick a good spot to set up and get wrecked by the other team.

I'll have to work on it, and try to find more unanticipated or unexpected locations to set up where I don't instantly melt from 4 of the other team assaulting.

That or just scream on voice chat for my own pocket rein until my team capitulates.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Zoness posted:

way to forget that the australians are named after animals

junkrat and roadhog are pretty good mad max names though

man this quote looks awfully fishy

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
waddling up to reinhardt's shield as roadhog and shooting him in the face never gets old

only thing better is hooking him mid charge when he panics and realizes you are hurting him

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

guts and bolts posted:

(and most Reins I've played don't know that some stuff straight up goes through it, like Symmetra orbs)

To be fair, there's no real "counter" to that as Reinhardt even if you know what the orb does (and I assume most people do) - If a Symmetra is throwing orbs at me my choices are to very slowly step to the side and possibly avoid it but probably not because projectile hitboxes are quite generous, or to lower my shield and dodge it... exposing my team to the rest of their team's spam. Taking the orb as Reinhardt also lets your healers safely build ult off you since your team is probably not taking a ton of damage behind your shield, and taking deliberate, controlled damage is important if you don't want to fall behind the support ult arms race.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

khy posted:

I am bad at Bastion. Not because I can't aim, but because I never seem to pick a good spot to set up and get wrecked by the other team.

I'll have to work on it, and try to find more unanticipated or unexpected locations to set up where I don't instantly melt from 4 of the other team assaulting.

That or just scream on voice chat for my own pocket rein until my team capitulates.

You actually don't need as long as you might think to annihilate Reinhardt's shield with Bastion, but if you're getting so wrecked by the enemy team that you can't find yourself the seconds it will take to do so, that isn't just on you - that's a bad team you're on

Most bad teams fall into very familiar categories, like Too Many Goddamn Flankers, Guys, Nobody Is Even Pushing The Objective And Their Whole Team Is Dead, For The Love Of God Stop Flanking, and that team hurts a solo Bastion setup in a creative location pretty bad because, whoops, the enemy team has nothing else to do besides be bored and look for weird angles of attack (and you're not even moving, bonus)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
same with the fireball - you could dodge opposing fireballs but the opportunity cost is way too high to justify being worried about hte opposing reinhardt getting earthshatter a little faster.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Whoever I was playing with today (I was Hopper). I had some good fun games. Yall goons are not bad to play with.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
the amazing flanking zenyatta

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Countblanc posted:

To be fair, there's no real "counter" to that as Reinhardt even if you know what the orb does (and I assume most people do) - If a Symmetra is throwing orbs at me my choices are to very slowly step to the side and possibly avoid it but probably not because projectile hitboxes are quite generous, or to lower my shield and dodge it... exposing my team to the rest of their team's spam. Taking the orb as Reinhardt also lets your healers safely build ult off you since your team is probably not taking a ton of damage behind your shield, and taking deliberate, controlled damage is important if you don't want to fall behind the support ult arms race.

It's less that there are reasons to avoid it when everything is going swimmingly and more that Reinhardts will often panic-hold M2 in an effort to not die and expect the shield to save them when it in fact will not

What I'm driving at is that while a good Rein and a bad Rein will likely both just facetank the Sym orbs and Rein Es without blinking, they do so for different reasons

I think the general thrust of the thread is that most people play either solo or in small premades, and if you're playing against a good premade when your team isn't, you're basically hosed anyway no matter who they pick; it's more like "how do I stop some all-star publord from getting free wins by picking Rein while the rest of his Offense-only brigade piles in behind him?" and the obvious answers are things like "shoot Sym orbs at them" and "pick Bastion"

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if reins shield lessen damage on hit scan wraps and only blocked beams and projectiles?

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
What pisses me off is nobody calls they are behind me if I am playing Reinhardt. And if I am up front with a shield I expect people to be behind me, not somewhere else in the jungle hoping people gets free kills.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Do not believe this man - I basically can't convince anyone to play D.Va, Mei, Widow, or Winston in inhouses

I only did one night of inhouses so far but Winston is fun as poo poo. Goons seem to play lots of tanks or Reapers though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Turtlicious posted:

what if reins shield lessen damage on hit scan wraps and only blocked beams and projectiles?

what if they made literally zero changes to it because its fine how it is

Tin Gang
Sep 27, 2007

Tin Gang posted:

showering has no effect on germs and is terrible for your skin. there is no good reason to do it
In my experience when I am doing too good as Rein pubbies usually try to counter it with a better Rein.

Too bad for them I am the best Rein. :hehe:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
reinhardt's shield should get a fire emoji on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you should be able to put a spray on reinhardts shield.

put 5 pachimaris on this or im switching off, gently caress you team.