Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

emdash posted:

Vocal fry parasites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Scholtz posted:

What would Chapo Trap House be called/be like if it was in the Metal Gear universe?
It'd be a bunch of codec channels.

Felix would provide advice about enemy posters (which is the MGS6 name for the enemy forces, in the dark future when all soldiers have twitter wired to their robot implants)
Amber would provide advice about marxism.
Will would save your game.
Virgil would give you statistics on your gameplay, with special reactions if called in an elevator or near a train or train tracks.
Matt would just call you on the codec broadcasting incoherent rage about the game, life, everyone around you, etc. He'd be like an angry Fission Mailed.
Brendan would start off providing bonus equipment or healing or whatever when you call him, but would later do some kind of face heel turn where he was a devious villain the entire time.
The actual radio show on the codec would be Brett and Bryan, who would be on the airplane that catches balloon abductees. They'd be talking about how much it sucks trying to get an abducted bear into a cage, or what it's like to fly a plane while krated. Occasionally they'd be napping on the job. Listening long enough gets you an ugly yellow shirt camo.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Matt screams at you about the big bad bosses' ultimate goals to create Mad Max world with all of their brains in Metal Gears. Amber reminds you to talk to all the NPCs you meet.

Brown Paper Bag posted:

I enjoyed the awkward reaction of the boys when Amber said she looked like Wendy Koopa

If your female cohost is dunking on her own appearance, joining in is Not A Good Look.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Halloween Jack posted:

Mad Max world with all of their brains in Metal Gears

!?GEOHELL?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not a single one of those dudes knew what she was talking about at all

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I good question would be what Matt thought a Koopa was

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Matt thinks Koopa Troopers are a Croatian militia.

My father calls koopas "ducks" and we've argued about this several times over the years.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
amber has also said the reason maga chuds get weirdaround her is she looks like pepe and they "want to gently caress the frog"

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Matt thinks Koopa Troopers are a Croatian militia.

My father calls koopas "ducks" and we've argued about this several times over the years.

ducks don't have shells, actually

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boywhiz88 posted:

Idk. The themes and subjects of PMCs, arms proliferation, sovereignty, and imperialist actions are pretty relevant. And I’ve only played MGS1! I think they get into control of information and whatnot in the later entries.

There's the famous monologue from Metal Gear Solid 2, which came out in 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

And MGS4 was entirely about a system of endless low-level war that had become the center of the world economy. A system that had been started by people but had grown and evolved to simply be the controlling system of the world, self-perpetuating without input from humans

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
See, on that No Cartridge Allowed episode, Felix ranted about how MGS predicted Trump. I would've thought replacing world leaders with robots would predict the inevitability of Hillary, if anything.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Virgil's got a lot of patience if he's stuck with D.Va since the beginning

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
We know Virgil is a D.Va main, but that won't mean much until we learn his MMR.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's the famous monologue from Metal Gear Solid 2, which came out in 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKl6WjfDqYA

And MGS4 was entirely about a system of endless low-level war that had become the center of the world economy. A system that had been started by people but had grown and evolved to simply be the controlling system of the world, self-perpetuating without input from humans

Thanks for posting this so I didn't have to. All Kojima bullshit aside, someparts of his theme are just chilling in how quickly and powerful they became actual things.

poo poo, any day now Trump will be rolling out the WAR-Dow Jones, and the democrats will be for it "with reservations" because hey, it boosts the economy!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

We know Virgil is a D.Va main, but that won't mean much until we learn his MMR.

Measles-mumps-rubella?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Also, "person deletes Twitter account" is in the New York Times.

https://twitter.com/jayrosen_nyu/status/943238912142692355

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I feel like I'm rebelling by not giving a poo poo about Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I feel like I'm rebelling by not giving a poo poo about Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Yeah the entire debate tearing apart my TL like it matters one iota is driving me nuts

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

prefect posted:

Measles-mumps-rubella?

Virgil is a hardcore gamer, he has obviously been vaccinated.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Halloween Jack posted:

See, on that No Cartridge Allowed episode, Felix ranted about how MGS predicted Trump. I would've thought replacing world leaders with robots would predict the inevitability of Hillary, if anything.
The AI overlords are a metaphor for managerial neoliberalism, and they end up getting replaced by an insane billionaire who vows to Make American Great Again through hyperindividualistic nationalism

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
dva is the best character in overwatch, dva mains are pro sex havers, don't @ me cowards

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
D. Va is the best trans character in video games.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

D. Va is the best trans character in video games.

I too, have seen that meme

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

*wink wink nudge nudge*

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

What meme?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the freedom gimp

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
everyones always like “get in the loving robot shinji” but look what happened when he finally did. this degeneracy will not stand

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's actually 100% canon

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

D. Va being trans is canon, the meme is just a nice joke. Sorry haters, D. Va best girl. Mei second best.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

dva is the best character in overwatch, dva mains are pro sex havers, don't @ me cowards

I want to play Overwatch with this guy

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I'm a Zarya main.

Fight me nerds.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

have felix played MGR or is he like Dan Ryckert and pretends that the series is about extremely not anime cool guy operators

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

He hasn't played it, but it's more from a huge change in game play than some weird sense of canon. (Ask him about the MSX original titles and you'll get a blank stare) Personally I'd like to see him stumble upon Snatcher and Policenauts. He clearly is aware of both from being pals with Immolations.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

you guys should "main" a good game

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've played Team Fortress 2 a couple of times, and watched those funny videos about the characters. Which one is D.Va like?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

fatherboxx posted:

have felix played MGR or is he like Dan Ryckert and pretends that the series is about extremely not anime cool guy operators

I don't think he would have significant ideological issues with a game where the main villains are people selling children's body parts at the behest of an insane Randian Senator

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

D. Va being trans is canon, the meme is just a nice joke. Sorry haters, D. Va best girl. Mei second best.

Sandweed posted:

I'm a Zarya main.

Fight me nerds.

Does Overwatch let you fanfic ship your characters for a synergy bonus? I refuse to believe that the answer is no.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think he would have significant ideological issues with a game where the main villains are people selling children's body parts at the behest of an insane Randian Senator

The Senator is maybe the best villain in anything ever, and I'm honestly kinda shocked that Felix hasn't played MGR.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWQd8zhEg4
2013, y'all.

Skyscraper fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Does Overwatch let you fanfic ship your characters for a synergy bonus? I refuse to believe that the answer is no.

it's the most powerful and effective part of the meta