Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Where do I start with Chromeo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Gaggins posted:

Where do I start with Chromeo?

They only have three albums. Most people I know (myself included) think Fancy Footwork is their best album as a whole. If you can find the deluxe edition, the second disc will have some of the bigger songs (and remixes of those songs) from their first album.

Wronkos
Jan 1, 2011

How abooout The Strokes?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

chitinid posted:

How abooout The Strokes?
Is This It is their first album, generally considered their best and was a massive massive deal when it came out so definitely start with that. Go chronologically with them really, general consensus is that they got worse as they went along but there is some great stuff on all their albums.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Where does someone start with Primus and Iron & Wine

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Sailing the Seas of Cheese is one of Primus's best, and contains their only bona fide hit, "Jerry was a Race Car Driver".

Edit: Hit may be a bit of a strong word, but it's the right idea.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

Iron and Wine only has four albums, and all are pretty drat solid. They also progress. The first being just an acoustic four track recording, the second is still primarily acoustic but with a few more players and a studio to record in, the third starts pulling in some other sounds from the people he had been playing with on tour (piano, some horns, and experimenting with different musical styles), and the latest has (what sounds like) a full band including some nice horn sections doing in what I guess you would call his pop album.

I think the best bet is pick a song or two you like from him and start with that album. If you have never heard him, I'd say start with the second or third depending on your preference for predominantly acousitc guitar.

Someone else might have better advice, though.

Edit: I'd trust Ninten over me. I definitely don't have the most solid knowledge of him, and only know the four main albums (to varying degrees).

Voodoofly fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 17, 2011

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

AboveAndBeyond posted:

As Voodoofly said, Iron & Wine only has four albums, and they definitely progress from more or less solo acoustic folk to an ever wider sonic palette, with the latest album even featuring straight-up electronic flourishes.

His EPs are just as essential as his albums, in my opinion, especially since they play into his continuing progression as an artist (The Sea and the Rhythm kind of serving as a bridge between his first and second albums, and Woman King and his Calexico collab In the Reins as a bridge between his second and third).

Honestly, though, I'd say the best overall place to start would probably be the compilation Around the Well. For being a b-sides and other rarities complilation, it's really uniformly good in terms of quality, and it splits the difference perfectly between his early sound and his later (one era showcased on the first disc, his latter-day sound on the second). Basically, just get that compilation, and whichever disc you prefer will give you a good idea as to which albums to look into (for the first disc, go Our Endless Numbered Days and earlier, for the second go Woman King and beyond).

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

AboveAndBeyond posted:

I agree with the poster above that said Sailing the Seas of Cheese is a great album, but Primus has so much good material that getting an album just because it has one song on it isn't the thing to do! But by all means get that album. I first heard Antipop and fell in love with the goofy track "Ballad of Bodacious." (This is not rehashing the one-song-get-album advice, the whole album rocks.)
Primus has a common sound throughout most of their albums so if you love one chances are you'll love them all.

As for Iron and Wine, I got hooked after hearing The Shepherd's Dog. From there I listened to Our Endless Numbered Days, then the Woman King EP. If you end up liking the stuff, the live album from Bonnaroo is really good.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

chitinid posted:

How abooout The Strokes?

Listen to The Cribs instead.

DrGonzo90
Sep 13, 2010

catpowerd posted:

Sorry if this has been asked already but I was wondering where I should start with The Grateful Dead?

I'm a couple of weeks late to your question, but in my opinion (and the opinion of most deadheads) the live stuff is the best so it's tough to recommend albums. There are dozens of awesome shows but I'll recommend just a couple to get you started and one place to listen and sometimes download:

http://www.archive.org/details/GratefulDead

This site has a ton of shows available to stream and a bunch of them you can also download in mp3 or FLAC.

A few good shows to get you started (mm/dd/yy):

05-08-77 - Probably the most famous Dead show, basically everything in the second set is amazing and the first set is really solid as well. Highlights are probably Row Jimmy, Scarlet Begonias->Fire on the Mountain and Morning Dew.

08-27-72 - My favorite show and maybe the most solid one from top to bottom. Highlights: China Cat Sunflower->I Know You Rider, Playing in the Band, Dark Star.

03-29-90 - Smooth, later dead. Branford Marsalis sits in on saxophone, adding another layer of improv. Highlights: Eyes of the World.

07-27-73 - This was just a soundcheck for the Watkins Glen festival the next day, I think, but the guys do a jam toward the end (cleverly titled "Jam" - here's a link, it's track 9: http://www.archive.org/details/gd73-07-27.sbd.weiner.180.sbeok.shnf) that basically starts from nothing and goes for 20 minutes or so just building up and then going right into another song.

I guess listen to those three and a half and see what you think. There's tons of shows to recommend if you decide you like their style, but they're not for everyone. None of them can really sing, first of all, so that takes some getting used to, and most of the best songs are at least 10 minutes in length. A lot of the most popular songs among deadheads are just vehicles for band improvisation rather than structured songs in the normal sense. Let me know if you like any of this and I can recommend more or provide more information. If anyone else has other Dead recommendations as well, I'm all ears. I thought about making a thread but didn't know if there would be interest.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Fela Kuti?

Ras Michael?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
how about a good starter for Oneida?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

the Bunt posted:

Fela Kuti?

The Anthology vol. 1?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

the Bunt posted:

Fela Kuti?

Ras Michael?

Shakara/Lady, London Scene, Expensive poo poo, Roforofo Fight, Gentleman.

The Dadawah LP, the Lee Perry produced record (can't remember the title).

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

big business sloth posted:

I would start with something like Secret Wars or The Wedding, slightly more accessible and straightforward albums compared to their crazy epic stuff like Rated O.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I like Happy New Year a little more than The Wedding, but still applies in the way HP Hovercraft is talking about

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Where do I start with The Black Dahlia Murder?

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
Where should I start with Thrice, anyone?

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Eight Is Legend posted:

Where do I start with The Black Dahlia Murder?

Miasma

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Superchunk?
They have around 9 albums and I simply have no idea where to start...

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Go chronologically. Although, you could probably skip the self-titled and just get the Slack Motherfucker single (which is collected on the Tossing Seeds singles comp), and start properly with No Pocky For Kitty, which is their best album.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Radiohead I've listened to a handful of their albums, but only Kid A and In Rainbows in depth. Is their a consensus favorite, or a sense of how the albums differ?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

JHomer722 posted:

Radiohead I've listened to a handful of their albums, but only Kid A and In Rainbows in depth. Is their a consensus favorite, or a sense of how the albums differ?

From what I've gathered, most fans love every album that isn't Pablo Honey or Hail To The Thief. I personally love all of them except the new one (The King Of Limbs). And Radiohead themselves have pretty much denounced Pablo Honey and The Bends and won't play a lot of material from those albums at shows if they play any at all.

Pablo Honey and The Bends are pretty straightforward rock, while just about everything after those two is an experimental/ambient/electronic - rock mixture.

I think OK Computer and Kid A are considered by most to be their two absolute masterpieces. You've already heard Kid A and In Rainbows, so I'd say check out the two albums that came in between them (Amnesiac and Hail To The Thief), as well as OK Computer. Pablo Honey and The Bends are awesome, I think, but not exactly essential if you're trying to get a sense of how they sound now and have for the past decade or so.

Rageaholic fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Feb 23, 2011

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

JHomer722 posted:

Is their a consensus favorite, or a sense of how the albums differ?

The Bends is the consensus favorite, and is their most direct rock record. OK Computer is the one that catapulted them into Great Band status. You could do worse than to just listen to those two albums on repeat forever.

JHomer722
Jul 30, 2006

And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you.

Thanks guys. I already have OK Computer so I'll check that out, and hunt down The Bends later.

m0therfux0r
Oct 11, 2007

me.

I agree with everyone saying that Secret Wars/Wedding/Happy New Year is a good place to start, but check out Come On Everybody Let's Rock, which is a way earlier album, doesn't really resemble their sound anymore, but is a whole shitload of fun. It's a lot more goofy and loud 70s rock-influenced than their other stuff, but if you don't enjoy it, you probably have no soul.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Wyatt posted:

The Bends is the consensus favorite, and is their most direct rock record. OK Computer is the one that catapulted them into Great Band status. You could do worse than to just listen to those two albums on repeat forever.

And then Kid A/Amnesiac surpassed those. But both of those albums are dark and sad and weird so I wouldn't go there first.

Also don't let too many negative opinions about Hail to the Thief spoil it, because it has some greats.

But I'd do as I did and just listen in order because the change in their sound direction is half of their big "holy poo poo look how cool they are" status. I'm not saying that that's true, but it is a little neat to hear Pablo Honey (which is anemic, watery, bland, embarrassing, and worth 1 listen) The Bends, OKC and Kid A/Amnesiac and think 'this is the same group.' After Kid A/Amnesiac (which are integral companions) HTTT and IR and TKOL can divide fans, so form your own opinion after you hear the other stuff.

edit: thanks for the oneida pointers btw folks

CorkyPorky
Dec 13, 2009

Gogey posted:

Where should I start with Thrice, anyone?

I'd say Vheissu. It's their best album, in my opinion, and it's really the point in their career when they started experimenting with their music. Their earlier stuff (Identity Crisis, The Illusion of Safety, The Artist in the Ambulance) is decent, but you might find the songs to be too samey. I would work my way from Vheissu onwards, and if you like what you've heard, come back to the earlier stuff.

I've seen some people who didn't really like the direction they took starting with Vheissu. The Alchemy Index has 4 volumes and they're alright, they have some really good songs (Like Daedalus). Their newest album Beggars I thought was decent, but I didn't listen to it extensively. And according to their Wikipedia article they're releasing a new album later on this year, so neat!

Hope this helps!

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

And then Kid A/Amnesiac surpassed those. But both of those albums are dark and sad and weird so I wouldn't go there first.

Also don't let too many negative opinions about Hail to the Thief spoil it, because it has some greats.

But I'd do as I did and just listen in order because the change in their sound direction is half of their big "holy poo poo look how cool they are" status. I'm not saying that that's true, but it is a little neat to hear Pablo Honey (which is anemic, watery, bland, embarrassing, and worth 1 listen) The Bends, OKC and Kid A/Amnesiac and think 'this is the same group.' After Kid A/Amnesiac (which are integral companions) HTTT and IR and TKOL can divide fans, so form your own opinion after you hear the other stuff.

edit: thanks for the oneida pointers btw folks

Yeah, honestly it's a little too bad that this guy's already checked out Kid A because seriously, knowing nothing about Radiohead and starting with their catalog with Pablo Honey then working through The Bends and OK Computer towards Kid A is just about the craziest experience I've had while discovering a band.

And while I'm posting in this thread, I've been listening to Ariel Pink's Before Today a whole lot lately and I see that he's got a pretty big discography; what else that's he's done is worth checking out? I tried listening to The Doldrums but so far I've only found it relatively boring.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wyatt posted:

According to who? I love The Bends but anyone that says the consensus favorite Radiohead album isn't OK Computer is lying. OK Computer has had enough words written about it to fill a few dictionaries.

Chronological from The Bends is my usual answer, but there isn't really a "wrong" way to get into Radiohead. I myself downloaded a sampler of songs I had heard of on Kazaa in 2002 and immediately bought The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A.

Also I don't want to make this into The Second Radiohead Thread but

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

And Radiohead themselves have pretty much denounced Pablo Honey and The Bends and won't play a lot of material from those albums at shows if they play any at all.

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit (Fade Out), and The Bends are setlist standards, and I've also seen Just, Planet Telex, and My Iron Lung performed.

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 24, 2011

Pantothenate
Nov 26, 2005

This is an art gallery, my friend--and this is art.

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Where does someone start with Primus

I know it's been covered at a fair length, but I've just gotta parrot that they've got a very consistent sound. I started with Tales from the Punch Bowl and just dug deeper and deeper into their previous albums, liking each as much as the last. You pick up a Primus album, you know you're going to get a handful of fun, driven songs with fun lyrics (your Shake Hands with Beef, Jerry was a Race Car Driver, and Big Brown Beaver), at good chunk of really funky instrument-driven track (your Hamburger Train and Diamondback Sturgeon), and a light sprinkling of bizarre tracks that give the album a holistic attitude (your Pork Soda and Space Farm and Seas of Cheese tracks).

For a decent starting point, I've got a friend who swears by the fact that The Brown Album is the pinnacle of Primus-ness. I'd lean more towards Pork Soda, but I know that's not the most popular, and might be better once you've got a grip on their sense of humour.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Captain Charisma posted:

This is a ridiculous thing to say. Fake Plastic Trees, Street Spirit (Fade Out), and The Bends are setlist standards, and I've also seen Just, Planet Telex, and My Iron Lung performed.

Maybe it's just Pablo Honey then. I've never been to a Radiohead show myself, just heard that from others who have over the years.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Falls Down Stairs posted:

And while I'm posting in this thread, I've been listening to Ariel Pink's Before Today a whole lot lately and I see that he's got a pretty big discography; what else that's he's done is worth checking out? I tried listening to The Doldrums but so far I've only found it relatively boring.

Grandes Exitos is a well picked collection of before before today songs.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

How about 8Ball and MJG?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Where do I begin with slipknot?

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
Where do i start with Deadmau5? I've only heard Strobe.

jfballin posted:

How about 8Ball and MJG?

I'm gonna say In Our Lifetime, Vol. 1 but that's mostly because Throw Your Hands Up is on it.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

Ulio posted:

Where do I begin with slipknot?

In order.

Self Titled -> Iowa -> Vol. 3 -> All Hope Is Gone

The strangest transition will be from Iowa to Vol 3. What with Vol 3 featuring a lot more clean singing and actual guitar solos.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Where do I start with Samael? I've heard the name plenty of times, but I've never really heard their music before until stumbling into the track Slavocracy on YouTube and digging the poo poo out the singer's voice and the overall sound the track has. I'm more into electronic stuff than metal, maybe someone can recommend me an album from their discography?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Fodder Cannon posted:

Where do i start with Deadmau5? I've only heard Strobe.

I'd say For Lack Of A Better Name, the album Strobe is on. It sounds like an album-length DJ mix and is awesome. Strobe is the closer and a great one at that.

His new album 4x4=12 is great, too. Doesn't feel as fluid as FLOABN, but still has a bunch of standout tracks.

If you're planning on seeing him live, those are the two albums that the majority of the material will come from. At least, that was the case when I saw him in October.

Random Album Title has a few songs he'll play live, too, but overall I'd say it isn't as good as the newer two albums to start out with. If you get into the newer two albums, go back and check it out.

His older stuff is less like the newer few releases, but still very much worth checking out. I'd say do the same for Full Circle, Get Scraped and Vexillology as you would for Random Album Title. If you get turned onto him from the most recent two albums, definitely go backwards in the discography and check out those releases.