Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I'm new to this but getting into it fast. I'm doing some basic midi fuckery with Garageband...

What are you guys using for software drum machines on OS X? I'm using iDrum and the UI really pisses me off from time to time. Suggestions?

My life for a virtual 909...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

magiccarpet posted:

My life for a virtual 909...

http://d16.pl/index.php?menu=14
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=4

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Amazing, thank you so much.

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
Guru is badass, I love it. the D16 plugs are cool but if I really wanted a proper 909 kick I'd buy a 909. You can get close with samples and emulations, but the variation between hits on a proper 909 gives it a bit more life IMO.

Votlook
Aug 20, 2005
So I made this crappy happy acid/drum'n'bass thing in FL, check it out if you want to: http://www.sendspace.com/file/otj2kt

cuppy tea
Feb 6, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys, long time lurker here, I've been following the thread from it's beginning and just registered today, I could do with some advice...

I'm a production newbie and I've been trying to figure out how to mix properly, I'm struggling to decide what makes the difference between well mixed commercial music and my own amateur attempts at it. I know that sounds very vague but to give you an idea of the music I am comparing my mixes to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNStVlJWy88 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwe10iDlFQo

What I can tell is that tracks sound less like they're cluttered and fighting to stand out in a professionally done mix and have a sort of 'sheen' to them.

This is the unmixed (It may have randomly selected EQ and compression presets) draft of a song (electronica?) I made a few months back, I've tried listening to see how to go about giving it a makeover and made several failed attempts at doing a decent mix of it.

riboflavin.mp3

Can anyone here give me any advice on what I can do to make it sound clearer? It sounds to me like it's been played out of a tin can. I can't seem to improve the overall sound of the track without making the the bass and the synth texture sound lovely and drowned out. I used the PSP vintagewarmer on the master track when I made it not knowing what the hell I was doing and it seems to have clipping all over the track, but when I bypass the psp in the ableton live set the song lacks punch.

I've only just recently figured out how to use EQ and compression properly but still not completely sure where and when it should be applied.

By the way, I'm using Ableton Live 7 w/ Reason as a rewire slave.

cuppy tea fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Feb 7, 2009

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 8, 2014

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Too much reverb or release on your synths, that's what I'm thinking. Cut the reverb and you'll clean up your mix. Also make sure that anything that's not kick or bass has a HP filter at like 250hz to pull it out of the mix. It sounds like you're listening to it in one of those huge concrete pipes. A lot of reverb on low end will cloud your mix really quickly.

A compressor with a slow attack can give drums some punch. Basically, a slow attack is going to preserve the transient smack at the beginning of the hit, and just fatten up the release parts. That might help you out some.

I usually put a Velocity with a random offset (something like 10) on drums in a style like you've got, in order to give them a little more motion.

I do like it though, overall. The drum programming is great. The church bell sound isn't doing it for me, but maybe it's just the verb. The break 2/3rds of the way through doesn't fully develop, if you ask me. It sounds like the song just suddenly dies, instead of cooling down and getting ready to build again. The ending is pretty awful too, it sounds like you just ran out of ideas and cut it short.

I don't like the way the song fades in. Admittedly I wasn't very optimistic after hearing the first five seconds, but I think it redeems itself by being really interesting to listen to. Cut some of that reverb and maybe I'd try switching out some of those weird bells and I think you'll be in a lot better shape.

I think it'd be cool to have some crazyass panning on some of the hats, like weird rolls across the stereo field.

When you post your mix for critique, at least put some attempt at mixing in it, as it gives everyone a better idea of where you're going with it. Even just some EQ on the channels and a little compression would be fine, and make sure things are leveled correctly. You can do a rough mix that sounds 85% good enough in like 20 minutes.

Votlook posted:

So I made this crappy happy acid/drum'n'bass thing in FL, check it out if you want to: http://www.sendspace.com/file/otj2kt

Not feelin it, not in the least. I give it a pretty fat thumbs down at this point.

It sounds too... Fruityloopsish. Like you just have six different patterns and you keep mashing them together at intervals without any idea really what you're doing.

Typically when you do DnB, you put a lot of focus on the D. The D is pretty boring, it sounds like a 4-bar loop repeated for three minutes straight. You might be able to get away with that in Trance, but not DnB. You at least need some fills or something.

Some of parts were okay, like the 303ish riff wasn't too bad, but it really doesn't sit well with the rest of the track, those other riffs are pretty bland. They also don't copliment each other. It sounds like you just scrolled through the presets until you found six random instruments and mashed them together. One of the riffs also sounds out of key, but I could be wrong.

The mix also sounds like everything is mono, except you took some of the synths and tried to spread them a little. Why isn't anything panned out?

Needs a lot of work.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 7, 2009

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
Ok, so I'm about to get an audio interface when I get my tax rebate, and I am stuck between two options...

First off I run a PC with Vista 32, 2.0ghz Core 2 Duo, 3GB, and a brand new Firewire 400 card.

The two interfaces I've been looking at are the MOTU 828mk3, and the Presonus Firetube. I've heard in the past that MOTU doesn't like PC very much, is that something I should take into account, or have they fixed that with their latest stuff? Another consideration is that from what I've read the MOTU can be used as a standalone preamp without having to use it with a computer, which would be great for me. I'm primarily a bassist, and I've got a fairly decent collection of hardware synths and effects, so I'd like that option very much. Does the Firestudio do the same? I'm asking this because I currently don't own a bass preamp and have been having to use my Moogs to get my signal up to line level to drive my power amp. Also, I've got this OCD thing about having matching brands, and as far as I can tell MOTU is one of the only companies that makes 8 channel MIDI interfaces (although I don't need quite that many yet, I will in the future.) So which one of these interfaces would be right for me? I'm trying to keep my costs below $800, and preferably something I can get off Zzounds so I can use their 4-month payment plan. Any help will be appreciated.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
I haven't posted anything in a while so what the hell. This is probably about 80% done -- needs more micro editing, better transitions to the B section, and proper mixing instead of the haphazard mix as I go I've been doing on it. But overall I'm pretty jazzed about it so far, and I feel like I'm finally starting to carve out some semblance of a sound. :toot:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!

Votlook posted:

All the sounds you're using in this are pretty below par but the drums are the worst. I thought they were like a little intro drum part, and then some slamming drums were going to break in playing the same beat but its just that over and over. Also you've programmed them pretty badly too, there is no interest at all.

Get some decent synth patches, get a fat and catchy bassline on the go and get your drums sounding exciting and pumping.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
working on some new stuff!

trying to get the hang of vocals

thoughts and opinions please!

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

colonp posted:

Are there any good "sample sellers" who sell downloadable sample sets? Preferably with "unlimited downloads" like Steam/Ableton. I'm looking for drums and percussion and such.

I'm mostly just looking for prices and recommendations, as I don't think I'll have the money for it anytime soon.

Check out Pure Magnetik. It's a subscription service for sample packs, and a lot of them are pretty neat.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
Loopmasters has a large selection and sells downloadable packs. The only hitch I can see is they don't list their prices in US $ so I'm not sure how they deal with the exchange rate.

I would also suggest crate digging for some older .wav/AKAI format sample CDs; you can get some deals on good libraries as long as you aren't just looking for genre-of-the-week loops.

Also you might be able to access the underlying wav files in the Puremagnetik packs (you could always write and ask them about it). The big advantage to distributing things in Live/Kontakt/etc. format is that sometimes a single patch might contain dozens (or hundreds) of individual samples, premapped to different keys/velocities/etc. and it is a huge timesaver not having to set all that up by hand.

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
I'd like some feedback on a track my production partner and I just finished. We took the framework he had, cleaned and polished it, and did a rough mastering job.

Glyph & Rojas - Get Wet

We picked up some mastering techniques from another friend that we're going to try out in the coming week, but it sounds decent for now. This is my first production work, so I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have. Thanks!

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

xpander posted:

I'd like some feedback on a track my production partner and I just finished. We took the framework he had, cleaned and polished it, and did a rough mastering job.

Glyph & Rojas - Get Wet

We picked up some mastering techniques from another friend that we're going to try out in the coming week, but it sounds decent for now. This is my first production work, so I'd love to hear any feedback you guys have. Thanks!

I don't know much about mastering so I can't help you out there (I'm just trying to figure it out myself!) but I have to say that I really enjoyed the track. For a first production that's pretty loving excellent.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop

needs something!

tell me what you think

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
I just picked up an old book called "Synthesizer Technique" that I've had for ages. It was published in 1987, and I found it at a used book sale a few years after that, when I was first getting started with all this stuff. The only synths I had at my disposal were a CZ-1000 and an Alpha Juno-1, and this book teased me all to hell with its discussions of "well to get this sound you just hook up your modular synth like such...", so I hope you fuckers who are new to this know how good you have it.

Anyway the book is about half "how to create a bass tone/string tone/whatever" which is still a satisfyingly technical discussion even though there's nothing really ground breaking there. The other half of the book is all about using a synth as a performance instrument, an idea which seems pretty foreign in this era of sequencers and live PAs (there are even a bunch of photos of guys unironically rocking out with keytars.) I guess it got me thinking that even if you are all about cutting edge dance beats, there is a lot of really, really good synth music from the 70s and 80s -- Jan Hammer, Vangelis, Herbie Hancock, Giorgio Moroder, Keith Emerson, Mike Oldfield, Wendy Carlos, Tangerine Dream, Yes, etc. I don't dig on all of it all of the time, but there's some great sounds and inspirations there (especially given the recent electro-house/post-Italo/etc. retro boom).

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

trill rear end posted:

working on some new stuff!

trying to get the hang of vocals

thoughts and opinions please!

Hey dude. (This may be bad advice but try it and see how it goes!) It sounds like you're losing the lower frequencies to the kick. I'm just learning EQing myself but you might want to EQ the kick down a few decibels at around 300 Hz, or use a notch filter while playing the vocal sample. I guess you should see how it sounds by boosting the higher frequencies in the vocal sample as well, since the consonant sounds are at a higher pitch than vowels.

The clip you posted later on is pretty neat though. :)

edit: clarification sorry I am a bad poster

SynthesizerKaiser fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 13, 2009

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Hey dude. (This may be bad advice but try it and see how it goes!) It sounds like you're losing the lower frequencies to the kick. I'm just learning EQing myself but you might want to EQ the kick somewhat at around 300 Hz, or use a notch filter while playing the vocal sample. I guess you should see how it sounds by boosting the higher frequencies in the vocal sample as well, since the consonant sounds are at a higher pitch than vowels.

The clip you posted later on is pretty neat though. :)
When you say "EQ at 300 Hz", do you mean lower or raise?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

h_double posted:

I just picked up an old book called "Synthesizer Technique" that I've had for ages.
I'm jealous. This book is supposed to be excellent, but it's impossible to find. Curses!

Afterbirth Tycoon
Dec 19, 2008
This has nothing to do with the above, but I'm posting my question here since it seems the most reasonable place to ask:
How do I create this looped time-stretchy sound that most breakcore artists use?

Think of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86UQCpInft8 (Drumcorps - Botch Up And Die)

What software can I use to easily loop and repeat samples to make them sound similar to what Aaron Spectre does? I'd like to do some remixing of metal songs, but I can only think of cutting the samples up and pasting them over and over, but there's got to be an easier way, also when it comes to drum loop processing and repeat looping with alternating loop lenghts. Is there a way to sort of have a loop play, and whenever you press a button it repeats, all the while the whole thing is recorded and matched with predefined bpm? I'd really appreciate your help.

Also, if the example track isn't clear in terms of what effect/sound I'm referring to, please tell me and I'll try to dig up something else.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Afterbirth Tycoon posted:

This has nothing to do with the above, but I'm posting my question here since it seems the most reasonable place to ask:
How do I create this looped time-stretchy sound that most breakcore artists use?

You guessed right; by timestretching. Pick the cheapest stretching algorithm possible like Soundforge 4.5 or the one on the Akai S2000 (hope you have some patience) , none of that fancy MPEX or Hypermammut poo poo, and stretch to 150 or 200%.

Alternatively, select a small part of the sample and loop it; because that's basically what naive timestretchers do.

quote:

Is there a way to sort of have a loop play, and whenever you press a button it repeats, all the while the whole thing is recorded and matched with predefined bpm?

Trackers are pretty much ideal for this; that, or a 16-step drum machine that triggers the loop at the right tempo. By forcing you to use only 16 steps it's always in time.

edit: that means ReNoise or Sk@le.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 11, 2009

NTNY
Nov 16, 2004

xpander posted:

Glyph & Rojas - Get Wet

Beautiful track! I really enjoyed it!

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

xpander posted:

Glyph & Rojas - Get Wet

this is pretty good. Forget about mastering for now and focus on the production.

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

wayfinder posted:

When you say "EQ at 300 Hz", do you mean lower or raise?

Lower, so that the vocal sample has less volume to compete with at those levels.

Has anyone made a "How to EQ" writeup around here before?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Lower, so that the vocal sample has less volume to compete with at those levels.
You should write something like "use an EQ to lower the frequencies around 300Hz", because "EQ at 300" is ambiguous. You know, when you're writing your EQ tutorial ;)

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
I would die for a guide to eqing everything. Like easy to understand everything about eq, I'm talking about specific situations and instruments.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Rkelly posted:

I would die for a guide to eqing everything. Like easy to understand everything about eq, I'm talking about specific situations and instruments.

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there is a general EQing guide that singles out different instruments here: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=11466

There are a few good posters in that forum, so I would recommend registering for it, but make sure to take everything with a grain of salt.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 8, 2014

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
EDM tune, i would say progressive house, constructive criticisms please.

http://tindeck.com/listen/joma

SynthesizerKaiser
Jan 28, 2009
BOOSTER JUICE

oredun posted:

EDM tune, i would say progressive house, constructive criticisms please.

http://tindeck.com/listen/joma

I like the sounds you're using, and the groove is good. You've got details and it's pretty funky. I'm not an expert, but once you've lengthened the arrangement, you might try sending it to a few artists for feedback. Do you have some electro/house DJs in mind?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I like the sounds you're using, and the groove is good. You've got details and it's pretty funky. I'm not an expert, but once you've lengthened the arrangement, you might try sending it to a few artists for feedback. Do you have some electro/house DJs in mind?

a friend and i are doing a live electro band so thats what i planned to use this song for, but i guess i could lengthen it up and polish it some more and send it out. if you want it ill send you a higher bitrate version. also, i played every part except the drums so im really glad you liked the groove its something i really work towards.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003

Maguro posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but there is a general EQing guide that singles out different instruments here: http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=11466

There are a few good posters in that forum, so I would recommend registering for it, but make sure to take everything with a grain of salt.

I read this 3 times now. I'm gonna make eq flash cards for the frequencies I need to know for what instrument and how it effects what part of the waveform. This is a good resource combined with sound on sound stuff.

Thanks homie.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Rkelly posted:

I read this 3 times now. I'm gonna make eq flash cards for the frequencies I need to know for what instrument and how it effects what part of the waveform. This is a good resource combined with sound on sound stuff.
Once you get what's going on and you can really start to hear the whole frequency range of the instrument, you'll want to do it by feeling much more than "oh i know a I should cut this at 300hz"

Meatsplosion
Oct 25, 2006

+3 Meat Elemental
That's a decent little EQ guide but keep in mind if you can't hear the difference for yourself and feel out where to cut or boost without a guide then you really aren't going to get amazing mixes.

Keep the info in the guide in mind, but don't use it as a bible. Keep plugging away, improve your monitoring and your room treatment (this is a huge factor a lot of people overlook and you can DIY some badass bass traps for a couple hundred bucks and it'll be like night and day) and after awhile you'll definitely get a feel for what to do in a certain situation. And don't overdo it on the compression. :)

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
I start getting gay with reaktor 5 and a baby popped out

The mix is bad its just an idea at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

http://filesmelt.com/Filehosting2/downloader.php?file=Kongens%20Morgencripwalk.mp3

I'm getting better at loudness :D
Did some assorted weird stuff here, like loving and pitching down a vocal sample and gating it to make a rythmic element, non moving phasers and stuff.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 14, 2009

• Locked thread