Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Coulda been some poo poo on the ground? I rode Dunlop Q2s through the snow and in temperatures below 0*, sure, the rear was skatey as a motherfucker but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Coulda been some poo poo on the ground? I rode Dunlop Q2s through the snow and in temperatures below 0*, sure, the rear was skatey as a motherfucker but...

After about fifteen minutes of glancing between my bike, a hobo, an ambulance driver, and the corner-in-question I can safely say there was nothing on the ground but pavement. With that in mind I'll rightly admit that if I am in a good lean leaving a stop sign and the rear is skatey I'll be layin 'er down but this was no snow and not that cold so am I that lovely of a rider (I can accept if I am). Also, I think my tires are specifically bridgestone battleaxes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Socratse posted:

After about fifteen minutes of glancing between my bike, a hobo, an ambulance driver, and the corner-in-question I can safely say there was nothing on the ground but pavement. With that in mind I'll rightly admit that if I am in a good lean leaving a stop sign and the rear is skatey I'll be layin 'er down but this was no snow and not that cold so am I that lovely of a rider (I can accept if I am). Also, I think my tires are specifically bridgestone battleaxes

Could have been a dastardly combination of diesel and other road grease. It doesn't have to be a pool of the stuff, it's extremely slippery even in tiny quantities and pretty much invisible.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Socratse posted:

What's the date code on your tires? Bridgestone Battleaxes suck anyways, I've always hated those tires, and the OEM compound is stupid hard for more life. It's still your responsibility to ride within the limits of the tires, but those tires have always made me really uncomfortable.

I'm also going to say that there wasn't anything there and that the problem was too much throttle while adding lean angle. It's easy to do pulling away from a stop.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

What's the date code on your tires? Bridgestone Battleaxes suck anyways, I've always hated those tires, and the OEM compound is stupid hard for more life. It's still your responsibility to ride within the limits of the tires, but those tires have always made me really uncomfortable.

These were the ones that came with my bike and they kept slipping on (wet) paint. Weird since it's "american market" rubber and I'm overseas, and they did not have a much higher longevity compared to other tyres.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'm also going to say that there wasn't anything there and that the problem was too much throttle while adding lean angle. It's easy to do pulling away from a stop.

I didn't think about or completely comprehend how temperature affects grip. When it's pouring down rain I don't lean even close to hard or fully attack that throttle. My friends can testify that I'm a fairly conservative rider in perfect conditions. So if the lesson to be learned is stone cold tires don't grip treat it like sand/gravel/rain etcetera... I can learn that lesson.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Socratse posted:

I didn't think about or completely comprehend how temperature affects grip. When it's pouring down rain I don't lean even close to hard or fully attack that throttle. My friends can testify that I'm a fairly conservative rider in perfect conditions. So if the lesson to be learned is stone cold tires don't grip treat it like sand/gravel/rain etcetera... I can learn that lesson.

Well, there's more to it than just temp...there's also pressure, age, compound, etc. etc.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174783

There's my big loving megapost on tires...read through it at your leisure, and post up if you have questions.

But yes, cold tires don't grip well.

effzedsix
Mar 7, 2006
Thank you. I want to feel better riding since it's my primary mode of transportation over the last two years. I'll have time to read that while waiting for new pegs and levers.

Crayvex
Dec 15, 2005

Morons! I have morons on my payroll!

Dutymode posted:

Here's my friend getting tunnel vision going around a turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3WPR8Oh0dM

EDIT: Oh God, wrong video.

Tunnel vision? Is he even leaning the bike? It looks like he's steering it through the turns. Or am I just a retard?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Crayvex posted:

Or am I just a retard?
Watch the tilting horizon, and you have your answer. =)

Also, I don't know why, but that song has been stuck in my head for days now.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006
First crash. Ugh. EXPENSIVE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcrL6GUL5cY&feature=youtu.be

Bike won't start now.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

mootmoot posted:

Bike won't start now.

Glad you're okay. I hope it won't be too bad to repair. Leave the scars on the fairing alone. :black101:

As far as it not starting, sometimes it's the simplest things. Will it start with the kickstand up? Might still be in gear. It's funny, but after my crash, I spent three days trying to figure out what the hell after I couldn't start it at the crash site, and it turns out it was that. Adrenaline and shock really screw with your mind.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Drifter posted:

Adrenaline and shock really screw with your mind.

Adrenaline's a bitch.

If you crash you should probably sit down, breathe, have a smoke or something. Just clear your head for 15 minutes if at all possible before even trying to look the bike over or start it up.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Drifter posted:

As far as it not starting, sometimes it's the simplest things. Will it start with the kickstand up? Might still be in gear. It's funny, but after my crash, I spent three days trying to figure out what the hell after I couldn't start it at the crash site, and it turns out it was that. Adrenaline and shock really screw with your mind.

The lights turn on when I turn the key, but the dash computer doesn't turn on at all. Maybe a loose connection? I'm not technical so I dont know. So even when on neutral with the kickstand up, the computer doesn't start and the engine doesn't start.

The dealership is collecting it tomorrow AM.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Holy hell mootmoot. I knew as soon as I started that video it was going to be a tough one to watch...I kept thinking "this guy is going to crash going in a straight line" and sure enough you didn't start to turn until you were in the mud.

Glad you are fine (probably minus ego/wallet)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ouch, that sucks dude! Glad you're okay though. I too have crashed a 675 and I must say.. aside from the headstock pushing through the frame, they crash pretty well.

I suggest replacing your frame sliders with these:
http://www.british-customs.com/triumph-daytona-675-street-triple-double-mount-frame-sliders.html

They actually mount to two points on the frame which keeps them from rattling around in a crash or bending like yours did.

These 100% saved my motor when I crashed.

Also these, dunno what they're called but they mount to the swingarm mount above your shifter/brake pedal.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

mootmoot posted:

Bike won't start now.

http://www.triumph675.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42930

Tip over switch is a pretty common reason for it not to start after being dropped. Or maybe a connection got knocked loose, but I'd try cycling the ignition and the kill switch a few times.

Fraser CDN
May 16, 2009
MORON
Well back in August I posted about a bike I was fixing up for a friend of the family. Well its finally done. It took $3500 but its back to its shape before the accident. The parts took quite long to come in. I had to wait 7 weeks for the front fender alone.

2006 Harley Sportster 883

Before:

After:

Rebuilt forks with new tubes because they were bent
New front rim/ tire/ tube
Added windshield/ saddle bags
New chrome headlight bracket
Replaced mirrors
New Handle bars
New front fender
New light bar

Fraser CDN fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 5, 2011

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

mootmoot posted:

Bike won't start now.

There are easier ways to win the respect of the Other Ranks than this, you know.

For example, being discovered in "Jesters" nightclub, piss-drunk and covered in your own vomit, noisily shagging Fat Sally (champion slapper of North Camp, 3 years running) in an unlocked toilet cubicle.

This is also a less painful option, at least until the burning starts. :feelsgood:

On a more serious note, hopefully nothing's broken other than the bike. :ohdear:

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Saga posted:

There are easier ways to win the respect of the Other Ranks than this, you know.

For example, being discovered in "Jesters" nightclub, piss-drunk and covered in your own vomit, noisily shagging Fat Sally (champion slapper of North Camp, 3 years running) in an unlocked toilet cubicle.

:stare: do we know each other?

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Your fame has spread through all parts of the forces and beyond, thanks to mobile phone cameras and of course Fat Sally's incessant facebook updates.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
You wouldn't happen to be talking about the legendary Jesters in Portswood would you?!

As for the bike, I'd have look at the kick stand switch. In the video you said the spring was damaged so it might have knackered the switch as well.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Forty Two posted:

As for the bike, I'd have look at the kick stand switch. In the video you said the spring was damaged so it might have knackered the switch as well.

I've already sorted it. The reason why it wouldn't start is so amateurish that I'm not even going to mention it. The Triumph dealership collected it at 11am this morning, and I'm just waiting on a quote.

Im going to take this oppertunity to get a full service done, a new exhaust system as it's just got whatever the factory put on it, quickshifter and a double bubble screen.

Any other suggestions to mods? I'v set aside £2500 for the job.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Suspension revalve and respring for your weight.

Brembo master cylinder, make those front brakes astounding.

I'd do those 2 over the exhaust. Especially if you're not gonna be putting a power commander on it. The cost for those should be about equivalent to the cost of a full system plus installation.

Quickshifters are a shitload of fun, highly recommended.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

Quickshifters are a shitload of fun, highly recommended.

I just looked that up.

Looks super cool. I wonder how long you can get away with shifting like that before bad things start happening...

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
You didn't happen to still have it in gear with the kickstand down did you? I completely forgot to check that after I crashed.

You are now legally obligated to put this exhaust on it:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I just looked that up.

Looks super cool. I wonder how long you can get away with shifting like that before bad things start happening...

Forever? It's less strain on the mechanism than normal clutchless because it's a perfect shift every time. You do have to make sure the engine cut times are right, but a properly set up quick shifter is like having a DSG gearbox...I could click it up while leaned over midcorner on the track and the shift happened so smoothly the suspension would stay perfectly settled. There was one corner at buttonwillow where it made all the difference in the world.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Z3n posted:

Forever? It's less strain on the mechanism than normal clutchless because it's a perfect shift every time. You do have to make sure the engine cut times are right, but a properly set up quick shifter is like having a DSG gearbox...I could click it up while leaned over midcorner on the track and the shift happened so smoothly the suspension would stay perfectly settled. There was one corner at buttonwillow where it made all the difference in the world.

STOP IT. I don't need this on my streetbike damnit.

I mean, I do plan on tracking it next season...

NO. STOP IT.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Forty Two posted:

You wouldn't happen to be talking about the legendary Jesters in Portswood would you?!

Why I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about!

The Jester's I'm referring to is a reputable establishment, whereas the one in Southampton is, I gather, supported mostly by the dirty, unwashed students of Southampton University.

Now, the humble squaddie will go pretty low in search of a dirty shag. Army wives. Sheep stalking on the mist-covered hills of Wales. Winking suggestively at the ANA. Army wives they aren't married to. Or even the public lavs outside HMS Nelson. But that, that would be a bridge too far.

mootmoot, obvious though it may seem, I've seen the Arrow titanium full system on a 675, and it looks completely awesome. I gather you may have trouble using it on a road bike without mods though. As in, where do you put the rad fan, because the downpipes are like drain pipes.

Also, as a general matter, you basically can't go wrong with anything made by Akrapovic. In my admittedly imperfect experience, the only downside is cost, but whatever they produce will have a very good curve, be as light as anything else and as well or better made.

Mivv do carbon cans with a very nice finish that are very popular with Aprilia owners. Also because they come in at a very respectable price from the importer and e-marked.

http://www.motorcycle-exhausts.co.uk/MiVV_Oval_Carbon_TRIUMPH_DAYTONA_675_2006_on--product--2740.html

http://www.mivv.it/risorse/11/214/388/dynochart_UT006SE.pdf

Personally, given that you already have over 100hp to play with, I'd stick a good shock on it rather than adding power or a quickshifter. Nitron track or race are fairly unbeatable in terms of bang for your buck and a snazzy finish. Keep the stocker to chuck back on the bike when you sell it and you'll get 50% or so of the cost of the shock back on e-bay.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

God drat it and I was crash free for so long (15 years!).

Heading home today on the 163S when traffic does it's usual slow to a crawl. I am filtering in between the two right lanes as my exit is about half a mile ahead. Traffic is doing maybe 15, I'm going probably 20ish. I see a guy in the rightmost lane leave a gap a few car lengths ahead so instinctively use some front brake. Person in next lane over tries to take gap but instead hits me as I attempt to go by. I had it slowed down to probably 10 or less by this time but I still went onto the deck.
Hit the ground with my right shoulder and left knee somehow and I think hit my chin off of my right arm since it seems like I bumped my helmet but there aren't any marks on it. Anyway, do the wiggle of the extremities, seem to be ok. Stand up, talk to scared to death lady who ran me over and tell her it's cool. The guy who was nice enough not to run me over as I fell in front of him was also nice enough to help me move my bike to the shoulder.
That's about it. Paramedics came and left since no one was dead, firemen came and left since nothing was on fire. CHP came and left when we did.
Bike has a busted turn signal and a few new scratches. Gear held up well though my knee area of my pants now has rain grooves in it. I seem to have held up pretty well too. My knee hurts a little and my shoulder does too plus all of the adrenalin is making me sick to my stomach, blech. The new Z4 I hit got it's fender caved the gently caress in by...something. I don't know. Nothing on my bike is damaged on that side and the forks are straight. Maybe the Zuk is just that angry with the world.

One weird thing. The motor cop told me since I was filtering that I was at fault for this accident. Is that right? He said he didn't want to write a report since it would show me having an at fault accident on my record. I wasn't sure what to say so I went with what he said. The lady who hit me apparently didn't care either since she didn't insist on a report. Not sure where to go from here. I got her information and she got mine. I also have the names of the witnesses. If I am at fault should I just leave it alone and hope nothing comes of it? If I'm not at fault should I go to the doctor when I wake up all gimpy tomorrow? I've got lovely high deductable health insurance for the next month so I'd really rather not spend a grand or two on medical stuff if I won't get reimbursed.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture045.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture042.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture043.jpg
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii247/bugdrvr/Picture044.jpg

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Bugdrvr posted:

Heading home today on the 163S when traffic does it's usual slow to a crawl. I am filtering in between the two right lanes as my exit is about half a mile ahead. Traffic is doing maybe 15, I'm going probably 20ish. I see a guy in the rightmost lane leave a gap a few car lengths ahead so instinctively use some front brake. Person in next lane over tries to take gap but instead hits me as I attempt to go by. I had it slowed down to probably 10 or less by this time but I still went onto the deck.
Hit the ground with my right shoulder and left knee somehow and I think hit my chin off of my right arm since it seems like I bumped my helmet but there aren't any marks on it. Anyway, do the wiggle of the extremities, seem to be ok. Stand up, talk to scared to death lady who ran me over and tell her it's cool. The guy who was nice enough not to run me over as I fell in front of him was also nice enough to help me move my bike to the shoulder.
That's about it. Paramedics came and left since no one was dead, firemen came and left since nothing was on fire. CHP came and left when we did.
Bike has a busted turn signal and a few new scratches. Gear held up well though my knee area of my pants now has rain grooves in it. I seem to have held up pretty well too. My knee hurts a little and my shoulder does too plus all of the adrenalin is making me sick to my stomach, blech. The new Z4 I hit got it's fender caved the gently caress in by...something. I don't know. Nothing on my bike is damaged on that side and the forks are straight. Maybe the Zuk is just that angry with the world.

One weird thing. The motor cop told me since I was filtering that I was at fault for this accident. Is that right? He said he didn't want to write a report since it would show me having an at fault accident on my record. I wasn't sure what to say so I went with what he said. The lady who hit me apparently didn't care either since she didn't insist on a report. Not sure where to go from here. I got her information and she got mine. I also have the names of the witnesses. If I am at fault should I just leave it alone and hope nothing comes of it? If I'm not at fault should I go to the doctor when I wake up all gimpy tomorrow? I've got lovely high deductable health insurance for the next month so I'd really rather not spend a grand or two on medical stuff if I won't get reimbursed.

What state/country? I'd check your bike laws to see whether you can scoot up the middle or not.

e: going to assume USA since you don't have free healthcare.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

The motor cop is wrong. But that doesn't mean that he wouldn't find you at fault...if he believes that you're automatically at fault than that's what he would have written up. As it is, it'd probably be split 50/50 with no police report.

Glad you're OK.

I don't know what's going to come of it, though.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yeah, kinda figured that would be the deal now that I've read some on the matter. At least I have a witness (the guy who helped me) who says she darted into the lane without looking. Apparently he saw me in his mirror before I got there.
I'll keep you'se guys posted.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Even if you were 100% at fault according to police your insurance company would still do an investigation.
I don't care to get into exact details here but some lady hit me in my BMW in the 'suicide lane' before it had opened up while I was making a left across stopped traffic - cops found me at fault and I got the ticket but my insurance company did an investigation - including going to the scene to take pictures and measurements, copying the law book with highlighted portions, and highlighting portions of the driver handbook.

I didn't claim any damage on my car - fixed the trim piece for $25 and sprayed the quarter size paint mark for free. Her car ended up getting totalled and my ins company only accepted 25% fault. I paid nothing other than the $210 to take driving school over points on my record.

elektroboot
Nov 7, 2004

Ugh, never wanted to post here. Especially not in my first 6 months of riding :(

Was on my way to visit some friends in the DC area on Saturday. It had been a long ride from central NC, so I was cold, tired, probably not in great shape to be riding. I find myself on 495 (DC beltway) after dark, in fairly heavy traffic, and needing to go from the far left lane to the far right so I could exit. I get to the second-rightmost lane, and am riding next to a big pickup truck (I was kind of forced into this position by other cars, getting really nervous at this point), when he swerves suddenly into my lane. No signal, no apparent cause.

I'm not entirely sure what happened next - either he actually tapped me, or some combination of me trying to swerve too quickly and possibly grabbing a handful of front brake, causes me to go down. Best I can tell from memory and my now broken, frozen tach, I hit the pavement going about 65mph. Don't know how far I slid, but at some point I was on my back looking into headlights, desperately waving my hands to be seen.

When I was convinced they had stopped getting closer, I got up, looked around and tried to get my bearings. The guy who (maybe almost) hit me had stopped; bike was on its left side, facing backwards; tank bag was maybe 20 feet away. I tossed the tank bag (which contained my phone) over to the shoulder, only to have it run over by people ALREADY PASSING US THERE. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyway, this guy helped me pick the bike up and move it out of the road, and I got a chance to check myself out. Despite my extremities being numb with cold, I was not broken, and even now a couple days later, I feel only minor bruises. I managed to get myself and the (unrideable) bike moved to a friend's place nearby, and spent the rest of the night in kind of an adrenaline fog.

The bike actually survived pretty well - this shot covers most of the damage: http://i.imgur.com/YjY2S.jpg
I'll need to replace the instrument cluster, shift lever, turn signals, unbend or replace my handlebar, and possibly try to un-dent and paint the gas tank.

My gear, on the other hand, should probably be replaced. My helmet mysteriously doesn't have a scratch on it, but everything else has some pretty good rips.
http://i.imgur.com/zaSUp.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/bBjZN.jpg - Jacket (Some lovely Cycle Gear brand thing)
http://i.imgur.com/Au3ZE.jpg - Pants (Fly Butane)
http://i.imgur.com/4ozNL.jpg - Boot (Tourmaster something)
http://i.imgur.com/TRLwL.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/P1Fff.jpg - Glove (Alpinestars Drystar)

Needless to say, this was the scariest poo poo I have ever experienced, and it could have been so much worse. I'm not sure if I'm still in disbelief, or if I am really okay with how close I came to being killed, but I feel surprisingly calm about it.

Either way, let's make this educational! :eng101:

Things I did wrong:
- Being anywhere near Washington, DC
- Riding on a major highway in moderately heavy traffic, at night
- Probably not wearing visible enough gear for nighttime riding
- Getting forced into a blind spot, not anticipating people doing stupid poo poo
- Long trip as a relatively new rider (in december, without heated gear... I was making stops to warm up, but hadn't for at least an hour before the accident)

Feel free to add to this list / call me a dumbass as you see fit. I will definitely take the "back roads only" recommendation a lot more seriously in the future, as I think the time and place were the biggest problems here.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Schottingham posted:

Ugh, never wanted to post here. Especially not in my first 6 months of riding :(

Was on my way to visit some friends in the DC area on Saturday. It had been a long ride from central NC, so I was cold, tired, probably not in great shape to be riding. I find myself on 495 (DC beltway) after dark, in fairly heavy traffic, and needing to go from the far left lane to the far right so I could exit. I get to the second-rightmost lane, and am riding next to a big pickup truck (I was kind of forced into this position by other cars, getting really nervous at this point), when he swerves suddenly into my lane. No signal, no apparent cause.

I'm not entirely sure what happened next - either he actually tapped me, or some combination of me trying to swerve too quickly and possibly grabbing a handful of front brake, causes me to go down. Best I can tell from memory and my now broken, frozen tach, I hit the pavement going about 65mph. Don't know how far I slid, but at some point I was on my back looking into headlights, desperately waving my hands to be seen.

When I was convinced they had stopped getting closer, I got up, looked around and tried to get my bearings. The guy who (maybe almost) hit me had stopped; bike was on its left side, facing backwards; tank bag was maybe 20 feet away. I tossed the tank bag (which contained my phone) over to the shoulder, only to have it run over by people ALREADY PASSING US THERE. Seriously, what the gently caress.

Anyway, this guy helped me pick the bike up and move it out of the road, and I got a chance to check myself out. Despite my extremities being numb with cold, I was not broken, and even now a couple days later, I feel only minor bruises. I managed to get myself and the (unrideable) bike moved to a friend's place nearby, and spent the rest of the night in kind of an adrenaline fog.

The bike actually survived pretty well - this shot covers most of the damage: http://i.imgur.com/YjY2S.jpg
I'll need to replace the instrument cluster, shift lever, turn signals, unbend or replace my handlebar, and possibly try to un-dent and paint the gas tank.

My gear, on the other hand, should probably be replaced. My helmet mysteriously doesn't have a scratch on it, but everything else has some pretty good rips.
http://i.imgur.com/zaSUp.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/bBjZN.jpg - Jacket (Some lovely Cycle Gear brand thing)
http://i.imgur.com/Au3ZE.jpg - Pants (Fly Butane)
http://i.imgur.com/4ozNL.jpg - Boot (Tourmaster something)
http://i.imgur.com/TRLwL.jpg, http://i.imgur.com/P1Fff.jpg - Glove (Alpinestars Drystar)

Needless to say, this was the scariest poo poo I have ever experienced, and it could have been so much worse. I'm not sure if I'm still in disbelief, or if I am really okay with how close I came to being killed, but I feel surprisingly calm about it.

Either way, let's make this educational! :eng101:

Things I did wrong:
- Riding on a major highway in moderately heavy traffic, at night
- Probably not wearing visible enough gear for nighttime riding
- Getting forced into a blind spot, not anticipating people doing stupid poo poo
- Long trip as a relatively new rider (in december, without heated gear... I was making stops to warm up, but hadn't for at least an hour before the accident)

Feel free to add to this list / call me a dumbass as you see fit. I will definitely take the "back roads only" recommendation a lot more seriously in the future, as I think the time and place were the biggest problems here.

Good to hear your ok and the bike isn't too badly damaged.

With regards to the fatigue and cold it probably would have been better to get warm sooner to reduce fatigue, though i can't say that I've never pushed through fatigue to try and get somewhere sooner. I guess it would be good to be able to recognise when this happens and try to leave larger gaps, more braking distance and so forth.

I'll also try and merge lanes earlier to avoid having to make last minute changes, doesn't really help if you don't know the road though.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Riding at night in unfamiliar territory frightens me. I nearly dumped my Vino a month or so ago because of a sudden 90° bend at the top of a hill on a road devoid of street lights. You can't really lean much into turns on something with wheels that tiny. Thankfully I was going under 40 MPH and didn't lose traction when I grabbed the brakes. But that's the last time I head out into the boonies at night like that.

the walkin dude
Oct 27, 2004

powerfully erect.
DC (along with NOVA) is definitely a traffic shithole. Good thing you emerged unscathed for the most part. Never never attempt again an invasion of DC in a state of being cold and tired.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Schottingham posted:

Passing on the shoulder should be an instant death sentence. Goddammit.

Glad you're OK and that your gear took the brunt of the impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

Schottingham posted:

Things I did wrong:

DC is an absolute shithole w/r/t drivers. I've spent 12 years in Boston and ~7 driving to NYC, and neither can compare to the crazy poo poo DC/VA drivers will pull. I refuse to even drive a car there. Glad you made it out ok, though!

• Locked thread