Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I'm having a great day, we got two additional QMEDs and a toilet bowl for their head, which means they don't have to share mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
gently caress that noise, poo poo in the sink, over the side, whatever you gotta do but stay the gently caress out of my head.

I've been looking into masters programs off and on. I'd like something either in Marine Engineering/Automation or International Business/MBA. CMA started up a program but its not very developed or serious at the moment so Im going to hold off on it. Kings Point had something for Marine Engineering, do you guys know if its any good? Any other schools anyone can recommend?

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 15, 2014

localized
Mar 30, 2008

lightpole posted:

gently caress that noise, poo poo in the sink, over the side, whatever you gotta do but stay the gently caress out of my head.

I've been looking into masters programs off and on. I'd like something either in Marine Engineering/Automation or International Business/MBA. CMA started up a program but its not very developed or serious at the moment so Im going to hold off on it. Kings Point had something for Marine Engineering, do you guys know if its any good? Any other schools anyone can recommend?

Maine Maritime has a one year MS in Global Logistics and Maritime Management. I've never met anyone doing that who has sailed on their license though.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

lightpole posted:

I can't really vouch for the MS program at KP, but I think it is more focused on marine propulsion and less on logistics or business. I would look at the program I just accepted to at MIT as well, its called Leaders for Global Operation (LGO) which gives you and MBA and a MS Mech Eng. degree in 2 years and has an Ocean Engineering track.

When I was at KP the facilities were pretty bad (2005-09), but I think they have improved since then. It would be an odd experience to go there and not have to participate in the regiment. If you want a teacher's contact info from there let me know.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
US is finally building some LNG ships:

https://toteinc.com/tote-general-dynamics-nassco-mark-the-start-of-construction-for-the-first-lng-powered-containership-in-the-world/

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Totes going bankrupt again. Horizon was talking about doing the LNG conversions on its ships but that's just a pipe dream.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There's a lake company that's converting a thousand footer, isn't there? I thought that was a done deal.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I've hacked back into my 2nd mates TAGS books (understudy, currently an IR in Australia)
I'm halfway through TAGS 1, haven't looked at the maths book yet.

Realistically, how long until I look at going to college? I'm turning 27 this year and really want to have a ticket before I'm 30.
I'm a bit confused as the requirements I have to meet to go to college, from my understanding it's 24 months sea time as a qualified IR + the 2 TAGS books but I keep hearing conflicting info everywhere I ask.
And are there many companies in Australia that are re-training IR's as 2nd mates? I'm a casual IR so not actually stuck to any one company which has me kind of scared....

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Totes going bankrupt again. Horizon was talking about doing the LNG conversions on its ships but that's just a pipe dream.

Harvey is building some lng mud boats right?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

I've hacked back into my 2nd mates TAGS books (understudy, currently an IR in Australia)
I'm halfway through TAGS 1, haven't looked at the maths book yet.

Realistically, how long until I look at going to college? I'm turning 27 this year and really want to have a ticket before I'm 30.
I'm a bit confused as the requirements I have to meet to go to college, from my understanding it's 24 months sea time as a qualified IR + the 2 TAGS books but I keep hearing conflicting info everywhere I ask.
And are there many companies in Australia that are re-training IR's as 2nd mates? I'm a casual IR so not actually stuck to any one company which has me kind of scared....

There is no requirements to start college, an 18 year old with no sea time can start if they meet the basic academic requirements. You just have to have completed your sea time, college and TAGS when you front up for your oral.

I doubt anyone will retrain you, you'll probably have to put yourself through college. I think its only 9 months now?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Harvey is building some lng mud boats right?

Don't know. Horizon and Tote would prefer to retrofit to keep the hulls Jones Act compliant without having to spend the money on new ones.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
USCG just sent out my VSO so I guess it's time to get my physical and drug test sorted.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)
Has anyone sailed with OOCL? What's the food like?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

What nationality is the crew? Because that makes a huge difference.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

FrozenVent posted:

What nationality is the crew? Because that makes a huge difference.

I think the crew is asian, but I've they do employ some european officers.

I've been offered a cadetship, but I can't decide between a company that does standby vessels in the north sea or OOCL as my first choice.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Food quality is 100% dependent on the cook; not knowing the guy you can probably hazard a guess from nationality.

Food budget only makes a difference on the extreme end of the scale; I've sailed on companies that were like $3 per person per day and it was decent, and I've bought my own food on boats with $13 per person per day. Because that cook couldn't make a loving hot dog without loving it up.

The real question is whether you want to do containers or offshore. I'd lean offshore myself, but it's entirely dependent on the markets you're looking at and where you want to take your career.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

ferretsrule posted:

I've been offered a cadetship, but I can't decide between a company that does standby vessels in the north sea or OOCL as my first choice.

Do you have girlfriend/family if so go with the Standby vessel in the north sea . I presume the UK self does 4 weeks on 4 weeks off but if your young dumb and full cum go for the container ship. You doing deck or engine?

edit: question for those of you that have done PSV/OSV in the Gulf of Mexico what hours did you work? 6 on 6 off when out to sea, 8-4-4-8 or 12 on 12 off?

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 22, 2014

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Trench_Rat posted:

Do you have girlfriend/family if so go with the Standby vessel in the north sea . I presume the UK self does 4 weeks on 4 weeks off but if your young dumb and full cum go for the container ship. You doing deck or engine?

edit: question for those of you that have done PSV/OSV in the Gulf of Mexico what hours did you work? 6 on 6 off when out to sea, 8-4-4-8 or 12 on 12 off?

I don't know what its like for cadets in UK but here in Canada I did my long sea phase on supply and while the crew was 4 on 4 off as cadet we had to do the whole stretch, I ended up doing 6 months on a standby/ROV boat straight and we were only in for crew changes one day every 4 weeks. I had a lot better time doing coastal tanker work previous to that the time went by a lot faster.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Trench_Rat posted:

12 and 12 here, at the dock, in the yard, out to sea, wherever.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

flashman posted:

4 on 4 off

:stare:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Probably means weeks.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Probably means weeks.

'cause 4 hours on and 4 hours off would be illegal as poo poo.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

'cause 4 hours on and 4 hours off would be illegal as poo poo.

6 and 6 really should be, there's no excuse for it especially in the engine room where a 12 hour watch is almost always better than 4 on 8 off with several hours of OT jammed into the equation and doesn't have a huge boredom factor.

Don't some tallships run like 4/4 or 2/2?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Don't some tallships run like 4/4 or 2/2?

If they're military or whatever and STCW / MLC doesn't apply to them, maybe. You're required to get at least one uninterrupted period of rest of 6 hours in any 24 hour period, basically.

I think the general reticence to 12 hour watches is that that's a long rear end period not to have a second set of eyes look things over, and that's a long enough period that you're going to get less efficient toward the end. I'm sure there have been studies on the subject. Plus you have to work out the meal breaks. Personally, I didn't like 12 on 12 off much, not for watchstanding anyway... For deck work, sure.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

FrozenVent posted:

Personally, I didn't like 12 on 12 off much, not for watchstanding anyway... For deck work, sure.

Yeah, I did several months of 12/12 in the gulf, that sucked rear end as a deckhand. Meals were always rushed, and your productivity tapered off big-time the last two hours.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

sharkytm posted:

Yeah, I did several months of 12/12 in the gulf, that sucked rear end as a deckhand. Meals were always rushed, and your productivity tapered off big-time the last two hours.

you don't work for teekay by any chance, do you?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

you don't work for teekay by any chance, do you?

Nope, hired scientific deckhand for cooperative research cruise for BP. I was in charge of operating a specific piece of equipment.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
ah.
Sailed with a C/O named sharky Thought you might be him.
Carry on.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 23, 2014

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
American cargo ship called APL BELGIUM ran aground at Damietta port due to bad weather and shallow water in Damietta's dock. Although the ship depth's 12.8 m and the port authority forbidden any ship that has more than 13.25 m in depth, the ship ran aground, said Osama AbdulGhani Muselhy (The committee chairman for the union workers at Damietta containers). Slackness of port authority and not cleansing the fairway this year resulted in fairway unbalance which pushed the ship to fail, said Muselhy. Divers are trying their best to save the ship which caused complete shut down to the port, said Muselhy. An official source stated that the ship arrived yesterday at 9:00 PM coming from Colombia via Suez canal and raising US flag.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

American cargo ship called APL BELGIUM ran aground at Damietta port due to bad weather and shallow water in Damietta's dock. Although the ship depth's 12.8 m and the port authority forbidden any ship that has more than 13.25 m in depth, the ship ran aground, said Osama AbdulGhani Muselhy (The committee chairman for the union workers at Damietta containers). Slackness of port authority and not cleansing the fairway this year resulted in fairway unbalance which pushed the ship to fail, said Muselhy. Divers are trying their best to save the ship which caused complete shut down to the port, said Muselhy. An official source stated that the ship arrived yesterday at 9:00 PM coming from Colombia via Suez canal and raising US flag.

"Slackness of port authority and not cleansing the fairway this year resulted in fairway unbalance which pushed the ship to fail, said Muselhy" is the best example of mangled maritime English I've seen in a long time.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 23, 2014

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I'm still not sure if that's the original English or a translation.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

Sludge Tank posted:

ah.
Sailed with a C/O named sharky Thought you might be him.
Carry on.

Schmozzle doesn't strike me as a goon.

As for your earlier question; yeah 24 months sea time plus TAGS books, good luck getting anyone to pay for your college time, there's a surplus of junior mates. You might be able to get some money back out of a company who picks you up while you're at college. I knew a Teekay I.R. who paid his own way through second mates, at the end his former employer (Teekay) offered him $5000 or something like it to sign back up. Didn't recoup his costs, but meh. College is probably back up to nine months, with many of the modules being useless. Contact AMC or Newcastle.

*EDIT* About to head into the Southern Ocean with ROVs and "pinger detectors" aboard. We're hunting black boxes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Do you have a solve the mystery pool up yet? Put $20 on snakes for me.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

*EDIT* About to head into the Southern Ocean with ROVs and "pinger detectors" aboard. We're hunting black boxes.

O.P.?

We have a few guy's in my chiefs class off the O.S., but all they have been doing is sitting in Sydney Harbour half-manned...

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.

pazrs posted:

O.P.?

We have a few guy's in my chiefs class off the O.S., but all they have been doing is sitting in Sydney Harbour half-manned...

Say Hi to them, it's good to have the Shield doing something.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

StopShootingMe posted:

About to head into the Southern Ocean with ROVs and "pinger detectors" aboard. We're hunting black boxes.

I got offered that job on Friday. Turned it down for the Lowlands Brilliance. Bad life choice? Maybe. I've never been to China before, though. And I'd love to get some good old fashioned bluewater in before it disappears in Oz. (not considering 2nd register biz). I've had minimal time on bulky's but always enjoyed myself. Much prefer it than the offshore.

e: I've got the sea time. Hopefully get my TAGS done on this 9 weeker coming up. 9 months college but there's 4 intakes a year and apparently you can break it up if you need to go out and work to earn some bread, so it's looking promising. Hope to get in before the end of this year.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Mar 26, 2014

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That was a long three weeks in shipyard. Going back to the yard soon actually, I think I'll catch some of that on my next hitch.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Wish I'd had one of those last time I got stuck in ice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLhwuD_-B4Y

Can't wait to see the ISM checklist that goes with those things :getin:

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
I'm interested in entering the industry after thinking about it for a number of years on and off, I have some questions about the school stuff and getting jobs. I'm Canadian and live in southern ontario, where would I go about getting the minimum amount of pre-reqs for getting on a ship for looking entry level work? I have also been looking at this http://www.georgiancollege.ca/academics/full-time-programs/marine-engineering-technician-co-op-metc and have been wondering if this would be a better option. I would prefer to work and make money though so I can pay for education a little easier and sooner. (Life Lesson: don't get a Rec and Leisure diploma)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Georgian is a good school, if you're in-province I don't think it's too expensive. Pretty short program, too. The good thing about going through a school is that they'll package all the little annoying side trainings like first aid, MEDs, Security and whatnot. Plus with an engineering diploma, you can go work ashore pretty much anytime.

I heard the MED center in Port Colborne closed down last year, so right now your nearest MED course would be in Quebec city or St. John's. That'd make it a bit more complicated to ship out without going to school. Contacting the SIU hall in Thorold might be your best bet if you want to ship out unlicensed; they should be able to point you in the right direction... Although they might be kind of busy this week as the Seaway opens.

For the record, to ship out unlicensed in Canada, you're going to need:
  • A Discharge book (Halfway down the page, you'll have to call the regional TC office in St. Catharines or Sarnia)
  • A Marine Medical from a TC approved doctor (Make sure to specify you need the MARINE Transport Canada medical, the aviation one is useless)
  • Marine Emergency Duty course (Basic and proficiency in survival craft I think, but the school should be able to tell you exactly)
  • I can't recall whether you need marine first aid or not, again check with the SIU. If you do, call your local Red Cross or St. John's Ambulance, and specify you need a MARINE first aid certificate.
  • Certificate of Proficiency in Security, which is a new thing, and I don't know where the course is available at the moment (They grandfathered everyone in and I have an SSO anyway, so I don't need it myself)

This is off the top of my head; I haven't shipped unlicensed since 2006 and these things change way too much so if you hear different from your local TC office, do that instead. See what I meant about how going to school makes it simpler?

You might be able to ship out without the security proficiency if you're not on a SOLAS boat (E.G. a lake boat) but again, I don't know how that works in practice.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Mar 31, 2014

• Locked thread