Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

jeffersonlives posted:

It's not as bad as it sounds. The Democrats started doing two different responses - one in English and a second in Spanish for the Spanish language stations - during the Bush 43 administration; there was even one year when Bill Richardson did both of them. The Republicans have continued this practice, and Rubio will do both the primary response and the separate secondary one for the Spanish speaking audience.

Ah, drat, I should've figured one was going to Spanish-language media. I was hoping he'd do one after the other or like, they'd cut to a different camera after each paragraph so he could do it again in Spanish. Because that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

mcmagic posted:

Rubio is on a different level from those guys in speaking skills and ability to look reasonable while pushing batshit policies.

Maybe when reading from prepared remarks, but in live situations like say Senate hearings so far he's been fairly lackluster.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It doesn't much matter how good you are at speechifying, you're following the biggest act in political speaking. You're going to look small and come off bad in comparison.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Joementum posted:

It doesn't much matter how good you are at speechifying, you're following the biggest act in political speaking. You're going to look small and come off bad in comparison.

This is especially bad timing because nobody's watching and Obama is done running, so Rubio's options are to bury himself with funny yet terrible volcano monitoring quotes or somehow come off as a solid counterpart to an excellent orator who's not actually his primary or GE opponent to the 17 people who give a poo poo.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Rubio makes no sense here because he has one key position and it happens to be the one where he completely agrees with Obama. Is he going to split hairs over the minor differences between his plan and Obama's during the response? Doubtful. So he's going to have to get up there and shill for the House Republican agenda which, when laid out, contains hilariously unpopular measures like voucherizing Medicare.

Anyway, Jon Bernstein goes back in time and notices that the best tactic appears to be getting a group of non-leadership House members to give the response.

quote:

Democrats first tried it in 1972, with five Members speaking in addition to the Speaker and Majority Leader. One of those five, John Brademas, eventually became House Democratic Whip. Another, John Melcher, became a Senator. And Martha Griffiths became Lt. Governor of Michigan.

In 1982 they tried again, this time with a bunch of Senators, the Speaker, and one other Member of the House -- Al Gore, four years away from running for Senate.

In 1983, two of the five Members (not counting Tip O'Neill), Tim Wirth and Paul Simon, became Senators; another, Les AuCoin, was nominated and closely defeated in a Senate campaign.

In 1984, Barbara Boxer and Tom Harkin were two of the four Representatives chosen.

That's pretty good! By my count, that's 15 Members of the House who were involved in group SOTU responses, with 6 becoming Senators (plus another close call, a statewide elected official, and a House Whip).

Republicans only tried the group response once, in 1968, with seven Members (and Minority Leader Ford) included. Of those, Albert Quie later become governor of Minnesota, and Mel Laird was Nixon's Secretary of Defense. Oh, and George H.W. Bush didn't get a Senate seat out of it, but I think he turned out okay. Republicans have gone with non-leadership Members alone or as a pair, but that hasn't really worked out, unless you count Paul Ryan getting the VP nomination. I guess Steve Largent did get a GOP nomination for governor, so that counts.

Makes complete sense, as expectations are kept low, it elevates anyone who does well, and if someone pulls a Jindal they're just a backbencher anyway, so nobody cares.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
Honest to God, I am just deeply satisfied to finally be on the other side of a major party cowering on an issue saying "please don't hit me anymore."

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

watt par posted:

Maybe when reading from prepared remarks, but in live situations like say Senate hearings so far he's been fairly lackluster.

Oh he's just OK at speeches. He's much better in like 1 on 1 interview situations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I can still remember "the haves … and the soon-to-haves". What a great breakdown of demographics that was.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
New PPP polls.

Republicans Nationally
1. Marco Rubio 22%........Fav rating: 59%/12%.
2. Paul Ryan 15%.............Fav rating: 78%/9%.
3. Chris Christie and Jeb Bush 13%........ Christie fav rating: 42%/27%; Jeb fav rating: 59%/12%.
5. Mike Huckabee 11%....Fav rating: 71%/12%.
6. Rand Paul 10%.............Fav rating: 61%/13%.
7. Bobby Jindal 4%...........Fav rating: 46%/10%.
8. Rick Perry 3%...............Fav rating: 48%/16%.
9. Susana Martinez 1%.......Fav rating: 19%/14%.

Iowa Republicans

1. Marco Rubio and Mike Huckabee 16%..... Rubio Fav: 54%/13%; Huck Fav: 64%/22%.
3. Rand Paul 15%...........................................Paul Fav: 55%/19%.
4. Jeb Bush 14%.............................................Jeb Fav: 55%/17%.
5. Chris Christie 12%.......................................Christie Fav: 36%/33%.
6. Paul Ryan 10%............................................Ryan Fav: 63%/16%.
7. Susana Martinez 4%....................................Martinez Fav: 18%/16%.
8. Bobby Jindal and Rick Perry 3%..................Jindal Fav: 43%/11%; Perry 43%/28%.

National Democrats

1. Hillary Clinton 58%........... Fav rating: 81%/12%.
2. Joe Biden 19%...................Fav rating: 80%/13%.
3. Elizabeth Warren 8%..........Fav rating: 48%/8%.
4. Andrew Cuomo 3%............Fav rating: 37%/17%.
5. Kirsten Gillibrand, Martin O'Malley, and Mark Warner 1%.
8. Brian Schweitzer and Deval Patrick 0%.

Without Hillary Clinton in the race, Biden takes a 44% lead over Warren, and with neither Hillary nor Biden running, Cuomo leads Warren by 4%.

Iowa Democrats

1. Hillary Clinton 68%
2. Joe Biden 21%
3. Andrew Cuomo, Elizabeth Warren, and Mark Warner 2%
6. Deval Patrick 1%
7. Kirsten Gillibrand and Martin O'Malley 0%

National Head-to-Heads

a. Hillary 46% Christie 42%
b. Hillary 49% Jeb Bush 43%
c. Hillary 50% Paul Ryan 44%
d. Hillary 49% Rubio 41%

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So how exactly does Paul Ryan get such ridiculously good approval ratings so quicly after... that thing that happened?
(for reference, here is the most recent result I can find for his approval numbers otherwise. 47%)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Dancer posted:

So how exactly does Paul Ryan get such ridiculously good approval ratings so quicly after... that thing that happened?
(for reference, here is the most recent result I can find for his approval numbers otherwise. 47%)

PPP is testing Republican primary voters, your link tests voters at large.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Who the hell are the 2% who go from Hillary to Ryan as opposed to a match up vs Christie?

Also, Christie will never get above 50% with national GOP'ers, thats why he's not going to be the nominee.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 8, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mcmagic posted:

Who the hell are the 2% who go from Hillary to Ryan as opposed to a match up vs Christie?

Fitness enthusiasts.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Looking forward to Christie vs Rubio. Likable establishment guy vs electable base guy. Christie won't have the "nobody else can win" argument Romney had.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Feb 8, 2013

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

jackofarcades posted:

Looking forward to Christie vs Rubio. Likable establishment guy vs electable base guy. Christie won't have the "nobody else can win" argument Romney had.

I'm looking forward to the debates. Christie is going to own them, Rand Paul is going to be hilarious, Santorum will be Santorum, and it will be glorious.

Edit: Speaking of which, why isn't Santorum on those polls? Since it's all based on name recognition at this point, I'm sure he'd be at least in the top half of that field. If that dude can get some money and keep his foot out of his mouth, he could easily make it into the later stages of the primary.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Volkerball posted:

I'm looking forward to the debates. Christie is going to own them, Rand Paul is going to be hilarious, Santorum will be Santorum, and it will be glorious.

Edit: Speaking of which, why isn't Santorum on those polls? Since it's all based on name recognition at this point, I'm sure he'd be at least in the top half of that field. If that dude can get some money and keep his foot out of his mouth, he could easily make it into the later stages of the primary.

A Santorum candidacy has everything to do with keeping his foot IN his mouth. He is the head of the American Catholic Taliban. He's never going to back off of that. His book will "sell millions" due to conservative book clubs and PACs, he'll make money flinging fire at CPAC and other places. If that ignorant rear end in a top hat ever actually got to be President he'd be overwhelmed before his inauguration.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I'm actually wondering about that. The conservative PACs are going to war. Will Rove's PAC buy Santorum's books? I don't think it will. Imagine, a world where the latest diatribe from an aging hack doesn't make the NYT best-seller list. The Republicans could actually cause a cease-fire in the culture wars because they'll be using all the ammunition on each other.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Fun time to be paying attention. And I thought I was crazy for wanting Warren to be even mentioned in a Presidential Primary thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Check out the Clinton unfavorable reasons from today's Quinnipiac survey.

:derp: BENGHAZI :derp:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Do those favorability ratings mean Ryan has a good shot at the nom?

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Feb 8, 2013

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I wonder how many of them really don't like her because of it or it's just the reason du jour.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jackofarcades posted:

I wonder how many of them really don't like her because of it or it's just the reason du jour.

Oh it's definitely just the today's outrage. 20 years ago those people would have replied, "murdering Vince Foster".

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Is Hillary really going to run? The impression I got from her time at Secretary of State was that she was just completely burnt out and exhausted and even if she's thinking four years down the line it seems like she's growing content with the idea of being a dignified elder statesman of the party.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Is Hillary really going to run? The impression I got from her time at Secretary of State was that she was just completely burnt out and exhausted and even if she's thinking four years down the line it seems like she's growing content with the idea of being a dignified elder statesman of the party.

The thing is that if she runs, she'll almost certainly win the primary and would probably win the general. With those odds, most people would try to go for it, especially the type who plays politics.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm honestly surprised that more response weren't flat out "Don't believe a woman should be president." Wonder if that was some of the "other."

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

She has to know that her odds of winning in 2016, assuming the country doesn't crash and burn somehow in the meantime, are about as good as any Democratic candidate could hope for.

If there is any ambition left in her at all, she'll run and probably win. But it could be that she actually is worn out and tired of playing The Game. God knows if I were her, I certainly would be (but then I am not made of the stuff required to be a campaigning politician, being much more suited to reading a nice book in front of the fire and going to bed early).

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

computer parts posted:

The thing is that if she runs, she'll almost certainly win the primary and would probably win the general. With those odds, most people would try to go for it, especially the type who plays politics.

I wouldn't be surprised to see her take a few years off to kick back and relax. I would bet money though that she'll be looking very closely at the 2014 midterms and if the Republicans are still as disorganized/crazy as they are now, then going for the gold would have to be pretty attractive. I can't think of the last time that a candidate would have such an easy shot at the Presidency (Reagan? Ike?).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If she's really that exhausted, she's got two years to rest up. But beyond that, I'd be careful assuming that the image presented in the media of a world-class politician like Hillary Clinton has anything in particular to do with her actual internal emotional state. She has had a life-long interest in the presidency and she's going to get to spend the next few years being told that she's even more inevitable than the last time she was inevitable. I would be surprised if she declined running for any reason short of changing circumstances ruining her odds of success or her being medically advised that a long campaign would kill her.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

watt par posted:

I want to further add that I don't think Rubio is a great public speaker at all. His RNC speech was utterly forgettable compared to an old man yelling at a chair moments before he took the stage.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ballz posted:

I want to further add that I don't think Rubio is a great public speaker at all. His RNC speech was utterly forgettable compared to an old man yelling at a chair moments before he took the stage.

To be fair though, everything is utterly forgettable compared to an old man yelling at a chair at the RNC.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

If she's really that exhausted, she's got two years to rest up. But beyond that, I'd be careful assuming that the image presented in the media of a world-class politician like Hillary Clinton has anything in particular to do with her actual internal emotional state.

People who worked with her at State have privately told me that the public tiredness is true.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Kalman posted:

People who worked with her at State have privately told me that the public tiredness is true.
She was also running around the world like a crazy person, even compared to a typical Secretary of State. A healthy young person would come out of that with exhaustion after a few years. There aren't many jobs where being President of the United States would be a less demanding job, but the way she was doing things puts her on that short list.

I think after a year or two to recover, she will be ready to get back into it. Both she and Bill seem like A-personality types that won't stop until they're dead.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inferior Third Season posted:

She was also running around the world like a crazy person, even compared to a typical Secretary of State. A healthy young person would come out of that with exhaustion after a few years. There aren't many jobs where being President of the United States would be a less demanding job, but the way she was doing things puts her on that short list.

I think after a year or two to recover, she will be ready to get back into it. Both she and Bill seem like A-personality types that won't stop until they're dead.

She doesn't have to run for office though, she could do any other number of things and still keep moving.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I don't remember who said it (I think it was in this thread) but apparently she's also terrified that Republicans will get to dominate/dictate foreign relations again, so pretty much if that becomes a potential factor in the next 2 years she'll be motivated to run regardless of anything else.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I wonder what kind of primary fight we'd get between Hillary and Biden. I'd assume Biden would eventually cede, but I'm just guessing, obviously. More to the point, I don't see how Biden has a base that can compete with Hillary.

I agree with everyone - the Presidency is hers, if she wants it. And how can she not? Tired or not, becoming the first woman President guarantees your name in the history books. That's gotta be a ring worth going after.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

redshirt posted:

I wonder what kind of primary fight we'd get between Hillary and Biden. I'd assume Biden would eventually cede, but I'm just guessing, obviously. More to the point, I don't see how Biden has a base that can compete with Hillary.

I agree with everyone - the Presidency is hers, if she wants it. And how can she not? Tired or not, becoming the first woman President guarantees your name in the history books. That's gotta be a ring worth going after.

I dunno, you severely underestimate how putting on age can curb your energy IMO. None of us are in her shoes though, so she could have the energy in 3 years again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

redshirt posted:

I would greatly prefer Biden but I don't think there is any way he runs if she's in the race.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Waterbed posted:

I dunno, you severely underestimate how putting on age can curb your energy IMO. None of us are in her shoes though, so she could have the energy in 3 years again.

If it was everyday Hillary, I'd be confident she'd run regardless of how tired she says she is now. But given the recent medical issues, I'm no longer so certain. Which is a shame, because I am now looking forward to President Hillary Clinton.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
If Biden were a marathon runner, he'd have run the NYC marathon after it was cancelled. I don't mean symbolically run the route the next day waving to onlookers. He'd have kidnapped an organizer and forced her to hand him a numbered jersey at gunpoint, ran the 26 miles through traffic hurdling over cars and knocking down passerby along the way, and made sure to call the media in the middle of the race to make sure that his run would be officially scored.

But seriously, he's going to run if Hillary runs or if Al Gore runs or if Obama amends the Constitution and runs or if Zombie Jesus arises from the dead and declares tomorrow. Okay, *possibly* not if Hillary runs, but it's gonna take more than one private talk or PresidentHillaryClintonchat on the Internet. I expect PHRCchat from Wolf Blitzer, not here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
What exactly would Hillary Clinton bring to the table that would be at odds with the typical liberal criticisms of Obama or Bill Clinton?

• Locked thread