Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
noice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
quick tell me why i shouldn't buy this 70cm rig

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251837194384

its got the alpha display and 40 watts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do you want to put up with the following bullshit

http://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/230017-m1225-programming-help-needed.html

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
drat ive spent more money than i ever wanted to at powerwerx.com getting suited up with a selection of powerpoles and powerpole 75s and assoc parts + a few spitters

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

aggg. I don't mind a little annoyingness but that seems like a lot. I just want a 70cm rig and 2m rig that puts out more than 5 watts... then again maybe I should spend that $$ on getting a base antenna up in the sky, even if only for a baofeng. decisions.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it looks like a radio! haha

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

it looks like a radio! haha

owns

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
today i spent many hours helping a lady clean out her late father's house and take things to electronics recycling. I didn't get paid

in money, anyway

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

PuTTY riot posted:

aggg. I don't mind a little annoyingness but that seems like a lot. I just want a 70cm rig and 2m rig that puts out more than 5 watts... then again maybe I should spend that $$ on getting a base antenna up in the sky, even if only for a baofeng. decisions.

you can get a decent single band base/mobile rig for each of those bands for less than $100 if you're okay going away from the big three.

i got a radio shack htx-212 (2m) for cheap and it Suits My Needs nicely. the squelch pot broke during shipping so it was only tolerable on ctcss repeaters, but was a hilariously easy fix to replace it and that radio plus a mag mount on my friend's car made the road trip to Defcon tolerable. we apparently broke into a net in Nevada on 146.52 at one point while calling cq from Utah.

for antennas you could build a j pole for less than 20 bucks in materials and just use that as your base antenna. if you just want something for repeater work you might be able to mount a yagi up high on a rotator.

i need to find my UV-3R and set up a fill APRS repeater at my office downtown. why does it seem like no one is using it and even less so for actual messages instead of "here's my location!" beacons? APRS with the mobilink and a uv-82 was a fun reminder that we could get signals out to the world in parts of Colorado and Utah where there isn't a cell tower for an hour in any direction, but there was still no one to talk to in it, just repeaters and igates.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

in this case is the bullshit the windows xp, the hard to get software, or the forum members boasting about 'making your scanner useless' while mocking hopi for not finding the software you need in Motorola's labyrinthine website?

"all of the above" is an acceptable answer

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Sometimes I feel like I ask dumb questions ITT. Before I go spend money on a mount and an antenna/parts for one, i should probably climb up on the roof with my HT and see if I can hit the problem 70cm repeater that way, huh? I'm looking at topographical maps and there might be a hill/ridge in my way.

I'm the X and the repeater on top of the hospital is basically SSE of me, right through that hill.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

today i spent many hours helping a lady clean out her late father's house and take things to electronics recycling. I didn't get paid

in money, anyway

gimme

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

PuTTY riot posted:

Sometimes I feel like I ask dumb questions ITT. Before I go spend money on a mount and an antenna/parts for one, i should probably climb up on the roof with my HT and see if I can hit the problem 70cm repeater that way, huh? I'm looking at topographical maps and there might be a hill/ridge in my way.

I'm the X and the repeater on top of the hospital is basically SSE of me, right through that hill.

ive been doing some thing about this and I'm wondering if the attic would be a better place to put it? One of my big use-cases for a base antenna is using it during a thunderstorm or w/e. if my outside antenna is properly grounded, it's still not safe to use during a thunderstorm, right? I know a lot of y'all hardly ever get lightning but we get a ton here so it's something I'm really worried about.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the lightning danger zone is regarded as a cone with 45 degree angles coming down the apex of a tree or whatever the highest point is. if your antenna will be underneath that cone you're generally safe

i wouldnt be yapping if there was a literal cell bombing overhead, but if theres just some rain in the area, meh, i'm not worried

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Ok, cool. I was able to key up the 2m and 70cm repeaters from my ht upstairs last night, but the guy listening on 2m said i wasn't holding the repeater. i think thats actually a good sign cause i was able to at least get an ID and courtesy beep from the 440 repeater ive been fighting with (nobody was listening). its just a lovely rubber duck thats my issue i think. I've been eyeing that tram you got and think it might be the ticket. I wonder how high I could go off of an eave mount before a) i needed guy wires or b) my wife got mad and also i wonder if a or b would happen first

i wonder how much similarity there is between hoisting/securing a sailboat mast with 'stays' vs an antenna tower with guy wires. i doubt anyone does a 'loose rig' guy setup tho, lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you wont need guys for that thing. the wind load is low and it probably weighs like 13 ounces.

i have a 15 foot mast on the back of the bus, it is anchored at the 0 foot and the 7 foot level with little L brackets and some 1/2" long wood screws just run into the fiberglass with globs of sealant between mount and RV . rock solid.

even getting one of those trams at 'peak of roof' level will be really really good and you'll go OH HOLY poo poo this is what it's all about...

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

quote:

A new era of communication has arrived.

One radio for ALL the things you do:
2 / 23 / 15
Part 90, Part 95a, Part 95J certified. For multi-purpose use on FCC Part 90, 95, and 97

"You are the FIRST to get a glimpse at what is coming VERY SOON!

So why all of the fuss you may be asking? We have been working very hard and are bringing FOUR completely new radios out for every user. We have taken your feedback and are introducing the WORLD'S FIRST radios to be completely multi-user capable - including GMRS and MURS pre-programmed capabilities.

You didn't think we would just stop there did you? Since we have the best FANS we also are including: Crossband Repeater Capabilities, Dual Simultaneous Receivers, 6 Band Reception, NOAA Weather Channels and Alerts, 7 Encoding and Decoding Methods, and Upgradable Firmware. There is still so much more to be revealed!

This is only the start of our radio revolution - the official details and announcement are only a week away - TRUST US; the anticipation is killing us too!

73s - The Team at BaoFeng Tech "

e: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AnyTone-AT-398UVD-full-duplexer-dual-band-radio/701299_1987584996.html

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 19, 2015

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the FCC's website and looked at gain/loss maps of digital television stations in my area, it was cool.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

babby's first wefax. picked it up last night from Boston after hooking up my R75 to an ersatz random folded dipole. I'm in the Bay Area, which is why you can't read it.

things I'd like to do to my R75:

• proper antenna; I have secured the purchase of wires and cables at $0.40 a pound
  • everything here
  • internal lithium ion battery
  • mount an RTLSDR internally to be fed off one of the IF stages? how??
  • down/upconverters???

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
will respond later

for now:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
big news!

people are pretty fuckin mad about this

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/no-one-in-the-shack-as-station-logs-4200-contacts-in-arrl-dx-cw-contest

myself included

i mean lol who cares about contesters, but still, this is lame

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i can't find anything wrong with that but somehow i still know it's wrong

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

atomicthumbs posted:

i can't find anything wrong with that but somehow i still know it's wrong

if they used radio links instead of internet i'd be totally cool with it

had my first attempt at a QSO over a brand new DMR repeater in the area, reception was really spotty and i had the mic gain turned up too high so gonna try again tomorrow

fun system, better voice quality than D-Star, i like how the TDMA and repeater operations work, but it's definitely limited compared to D-Star for ham radio

some things are pretty lol-worthy, like user ids just being numbers so you have to program a list of everyone you intend to talk to just to get their callsign on the display. for now there's about 20 hams on DMR in this part of the country so manual programming works jut fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
OH

MY

GOD

I AM CUMMING

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/german-radio-amateurs-breathe-new-life-into-orphaned-shortwave-channel

HAMS RECLAIM DEFUNCT SHORTWAVE BROADCASTING SPECTRUM

JUST LIKE IVE BEEN WANTING TO DO

quote:

The DARC is a customer, and under its banner, a weekly Amateur Radio-oriented magazine of DARC news, contest schedules, DX information, interviews, DXpedition reports, market reviews, technical hints, and “some nice old music from the 70s and 80s” will debut on Sunday, March 22, at 1000 UTC, Englert told ARRL.

:allears:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Although its license allows full-time service, the station has mostly been on the air from 0700 until 1700 UTC. Englert said others, in addition to DARC, have been leasing airtime — currently filling about 20 hours per week. DARC Radio’s hourly rate is rock bottom — about $17.50 US. “This rate really only covers expenditures like electric power and the write-off of the power amplifier,” he said. “The transmitter sucks almost 40 kW out of the grid at 100 percent modulation.”

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
my antenna and poo poo was supposed to get here today but its delayed cause snow :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
posting this, thank you for finding it sniep! this is a good visual guide to wiring your DC poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

posting this, thank you for finding it sniep! this is a good visual guide to wiring your DC poo poo

and not as a thumbnail

Click for link to source with all their docs.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Feb 26, 2015

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i want that but going down to lower currents and skinnier wires

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol literally nothing i do uses anything measured in amps

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Bloody posted:

lol literally nothing i do uses anything measured in amps

get a spool of cat5 and never buy wire again

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Bloody posted:

i want that but going down to lower currents and skinnier wires

im running 18awg for my baofeng and another for a usb bluetooth thingy. nothing has caught on fire yet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i've been on a big powerpole binge and making cables and interconnects lately

trying to get a ham station ready for DC only .. got combined 106Ah of battery power between a bank of 70 and 36, radio and accessory respectively.

hopeful to get some solar going in the near future so i can take this camping and do field day and the like

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

my antenna is gonna be here soon i hope. not like i can put it up on the roof yet anyway. or even use it until my sma jumper adapter thing gets here.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
my audio interface cables are here! already reading a ton of PSK activity

hopefully the CAT cable gets here soon so I can start using HRD properly

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

longview posted:

my audio interface cables are here! already reading a ton of PSK activity

hopefully the CAT cable gets here soon so I can start using HRD properly

i'm still working on that PCR100 curses control program and am thinking of adding CI-V functionality. super low overhead

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
CAT cable is here, just emailed myself a note over winlink!

the access node is ~50 km away so not a huge achievement but still pretty cool!

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
does my waterproofing look ok jonny? I used temflex (I think this is the right stuff?) and then electrical tape over that to keep it from unwinding.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
looks exactly like mine. Might need to redo it every other year or so. go forth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
probably not gonna drill into the vinyl siding until temp is in 50s. supposedly it'll crack when it's real cold. read about that for another project (romex run to over by pool equipment) so I think I may wait until next weekend to put it up. It also depends on what the wife says I need to get done this weekend I reckon.

• Locked thread