Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Picked up a tin of these at store and cracked them open last night with some trepidation.

Fantastic! The jalapenos infused the dines with heat, there was no need to add any hot sauce. Paired it up with triscuts and sharp cheddar.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

LongDarkNight posted:

Fantastic! The jalapenos infused the dines with heat, there was no need to add any hot sauce. Paired it up with triscuts and sharp cheddar.

:bsdsnype:

Time to find these.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I like to think that this thread is slowly but surely driving innovation and sales in the 'dine industry the world over.

Making the world a little better, day by day. "The Internet Makes You Healthy/Dad."

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sardines still awesome. I will never get tired of them!

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?

naem posted:

Anchovies, feta and kalamata olives (in addition to mozzrella and sauce)- a powerful pizza

Review: powerful indeed

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Here is the sardine thread. Not archived that I can tell.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Weird. I did a google search for it and it came up as archived wtf

see: http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3618400&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=38

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
If it's archived why can I still post???

SirEvelynTremble
Dec 25, 2013

FUCK YOU HITLER
STALINGRAD
ROFLMFAO
freshly caught and grilled ... best way i ever had sardines

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

SirEvelynTremble posted:

freshly caught and grilled ... best way i ever had sardines

you will never have them better any other way :chef:

I'm still drooling over the picture that was posted of a goon eating fresh grilled sardines in Portugal. One day, tiny fish. one day

maybe because it's gold?

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Oh OK. I didnt know it worked that way. Phew.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Doing an interest check for a beef tongue thread. 'Cause that's the other best thing to eat that's probably largely considered icky.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Sizone posted:

Doing an interest check for a beef tongue thread. 'Cause that's the other best thing to eat that's probably largely considered icky.

My mom used to cook beef tongue for me all the time when I was a kid. Unfortunately she over cooked it just like she over cooks all meat so I never learned to like it.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Sizone posted:

pig knuckle and chicken feet should also be added.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

platedlizard posted:

My mom used to cook beef tongue for me all the time when I was a kid. Unfortunately she over cooked it just like she over cooks all meat so I never learned to like it.

You can't over cook tongue, that's part of the beauty of it.

Pukestain Pal posted:

pig knuckle and chicken feet should also be added.

Pig's knuckle is cool, but chicken's feet are a joke food that Pinoys serve to white people as a joke, like bitter melon.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Sizone posted:

Pig's knuckle is cool, but chicken's feet are a joke food that Pinoys serve to white people as a joke, like bitter melon.

I've been eating the hell out of some chicken feet here in Vietnam (working here temporarily). Not a joke food here at all, and it's delicious.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

You've obviously never met my mom

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

platedlizard posted:

You've obviously never met my mom

Think over cooking stuff is a universal mom thing.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I've been eating the hell out of some chicken feet here in Vietnam (working here temporarily). Not a joke food here at all, and it's delicious.

pics, preferably on top of wasa crackers

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Sizone posted:

pics, preferably on top of wasa crackers

Not my photo, but mmmmmmm

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Pukestain Pal posted:

how is it served in vietnam? when I get them in dim sum places they have a weird gelatinous texture and arent good at all.

oh ok, that was quick

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Haverchuck posted:

how is it served in vietnam? when I get them in dim sum places they have a weird gelatinous texture and arent good at all.

oh ok, that was quick

Once, you get over the whole "oh god, I am eating bone" it's pretty good.

Sounds like yours were boiled. They do that here too, but I'm not as much a fan.

Lenisto
Nov 1, 2012

Sizone posted:

I've only ever had lengua tacos/burritos. Would definitely be interested in some more recipes.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Today's Ripley's Believe it or Not:

Huh.

quote:

The "Burial of the Sardine" (Spanish: Entierro de la sardina) is a Spanish ceremony celebrating the end of carnival and other festivities. The "Burials" generally consist of a carnival parade that parodies a funeral procession and culminates with the burning of a symbolic figure, usually a representation of a sardine. The "Burial of the Sardine" during carnival is celebrated on Ash Wednesday and is a symbolical burial of the past to allow society to be reborn, transformed and with new vigour.

The custom has been around for a while, Francisco Goya painted a sardine funeral

In modern times, the sardine is carried through town by pallbearers and then burned in effigy on a bonfire.

Towns compete fiercely to have the best parade and sardine street food offered to the public.

Looks like a bangin party

so long, and thanks for all the tiny fish

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Lacking any imagination this lunch, I bought an Annie Chungs instant noodle something at the local convenience mart and put a tin of sardines in with it. Just mixed it in there with some of the oil. It wasn't terrible. Looking at about 580 calories and a decent chunk of the day's sodium for the trouble, though.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
I picked up a can of these on impulse and I'm not sure what to do with them. Seems like I should make pasta sauce. Any suggestions?

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:
Eat them out of the can with a fork.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

LongDarkNight posted:

I picked up a can of these on impulse and I'm not sure what to do with them. Seems like I should make pasta sauce. Any suggestions?

Tell me what you think of them, I tried them and hated them. I'm hoping maybe I just got a bad can, because I love herring and I love red wine.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
How did you eat them?

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
Nothing fancy, if I remember right. Just drained them, turned them out on a plate, and ate them with some wasa bread and a mixed green salad.

Redleg
Jul 7, 2003

What an odd looking.....Figurine
I am now addicted to King Oscars :mad:

naem
May 29, 2011

Redleg posted:

I am now addicted to King Oscars :mad:

They're really good!

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007
My brother made fun of me for eating sardines and said my supervillain name would be King Oscar.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler
Your henchman are legion.

Also light fried fish fillets are great for breakfast.

Sunshine Mix
Jun 11, 2009
Am I a bad person for preferring Wild Planet to King Oscar?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ikan Asin Sitting Goreng

dired and salted sardines which are then deep fried

salty and fatty and more delicious than chips

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Sunshine Mix posted:

Maybe, butI think I prefer the boneless skinless Seasons to King Oscar. I will see what my Sunday 'dine hankering has to say about that. Maybe it was because I had to refrigerate them a bit between opening and finally eating them on bread with sriracha.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ikan Asin Sitting Goreng

dired and salted sardines which are then deep fried

salty and fatty and more delicious than chips

Where do you get this?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

platedlizard posted:

Where do you get this?

asian supermarkets which carry indonesian food

gently caress, now i'm about to eath the other half of the bag... delicious cracker like fishies

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Sunshine Mix posted:

No, both are good. Hard not to like the firmer meatier Pacific sardines, and the oil WP uses is quite tasty all by itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
New 'dines at Trader Joes

Sardines in Harissa

Haven't tried it yet, apparently Harissa is some spicy North African pepper paste.

• Locked thread