Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

With Bataan taken, our planes find a remnant of the US air force.

With this much air power in the area, there is little I can do to support these guys – except send in the carriers!

The British attacks at Singapore have battered them down to near parity with our forces, and we have reinforcements on the way.

It looks like all the fighting around Sinyang, but not in it. I may dig in here and see what happens.

We clear out another small area.

The standard quiet day after an epic one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Truly a heroic battle.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Grey, what map mod are you using?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Pretty sure it's this one
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3696410

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We lead with fighters this time.

Then this happens.

We begin to retake Manado.

We lose ground to the south of Sinyang.

Dammit, this is a supply line, so I need to retake it.

Another quiet day. I need to move some men around, but tomorrow we will try an attack at Singapore – we have reinforcements that doubled our AV today.

Suspected, but now confirmed. I suck at surprise attacks, apparently.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

This really should be just adopted into the main game as official. Its sooo goood. The other map mod by the same guy is also pretty kickass if you wanna go for like a satellite view rather than a stylized game map.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phi230 posted:

This really should be just adopted into the main game as official. Its sooo goood. The other map mod by the same guy is also pretty kickass if you wanna go for like a satellite view rather than a stylized game map.

It looks nice, but frankly I prefer the ugly, but accurate information of the original over the slick, but information blocking mod.

I know you can display the obfuscated terrain data through overlays, but at that point you are adding an extra step to make the map look worse and more difficult to read than it was originally.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 26, 2016

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

And with this update, Grey has now reached the point where the last attempt died.:toot:

For a reference here is how he was doing at this time last year.

And this is of course his progress from today

May Grey continue to lead mighty Nippon to victory over the decedent west.:japan:

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

He seems to be doing worse in the air.

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
He is doing worse on sea as well. Lost 40 more ships, while sinking 20 less than in previous run.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Dreamsicle posted:

He seems to be doing worse in the air.

About the same, losses-wise. 90 more air-to-air losses, but fewer destroyed on field or by flak and fewer operational losses, so it evens out. But not quite as many inflicted losses on the Allies.

Still, it's pretty early and the Philippines and Singapore are both going much better than before, and that's more important.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
The fact that he's wrapping up the Philippines and ready to hit the DEI lime a ton of bricks in March is good. Things aren't going brilliantly, but he's solid.

Wouldn't mind seeing his production/research plans so that we can spend three weeks nitpicking him to death

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I'm sending a few troops up Sumatra to take the poorly defended bases there. They find the Swordfish.

A few more casualties marching down the trail.

That's a nice big one!

Jesus Christ! Singapore is going to be a tough nut to crack! I thought all the forts faced towards the bloody sea!

At least we retake Manado with minimal losses.

I land troops to take out that airfield.

Owch, that was bloody, I'll have to search for more troops and/or hope I can besiege the city.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Strat bomb Singapore into dust.

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
How feasible is it to just blockade Singapore's port and let all those troops starve to death?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Innocent_Bystander posted:

How feasible is it to just blockade Singapore's port and let all those troops starve to death?

It would take way too long. It would cause a big speed bump IMO.

IMO Grey should bomb the poo poo out of Singapore from the air and hit it hard with a BB + CA task force. Try and annihilate their supply and cause fatigue + disruption. All while bombarding from land. Even with all that effort it may take weeks

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Strat bomb Singapore into dust.

lol if you think Japan has bombers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Innocent_Bystander posted:

Not really. you need Singapore because a) it's a great port, and you need it to make ferrying materials more efficient b) it is crucial for gathering and distributing supplies throughout Asia. Without it you'll lose a key link in the infrastructural network that could transfer oil from Malaya all the way to China, saving you lots of freighter capacity; and also Singapore is the key to keeping Burma supplied, being by far the most efficient base for collecting supplies for marine transport to Rangoon.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Phi230 posted:

It would take way too long. It would cause a big speed bump IMO.

IMO Grey should bomb the poo poo out of Singapore from the air and hit it hard with a BB + CA task force. Try and annihilate their supply and cause fatigue + disruption. All while bombarding from land. Even with all that effort it may take weeks

The coastal defense guns are really really good, so bombarding it is a bad plan. It's also a strait, which I think makes CD guns work even more effectively. The AI one time ran a 20+ ship cargo convoy through the straight for some reason, and it lost all of them from CD fire.

Grey needs to bring another 2k AV or so to take it easily.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

I assume Grey has redesigned the whole economy until they do.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
More troops is the answer, that and bombers, and keep sieging and they will lose supplies slowly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pervis posted:

The coastal defense guns are really really good, so bombarding it is a bad plan. It's also a strait, which I think makes CD guns work even more effectively. The AI one time ran a 20+ ship cargo convoy through the straight for some reason, and it lost all of them from CD fire.

Grey needs to bring another 2k AV or so to take it easily.

Strangely enough there's a way to avoid the Singers coastal battery, but I don't quite remember the precise trick. I think it's possible to bring in a fleet from some hex sides without triggering the coastal battery. Or maybe it has more to do with the max range of battleship guns being greater than that of the coastal defences, so a TF composed entirely of capital ships will shell the base without receiving return fire.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a glorious mission for the Yamato.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

She seems to in Focus Pacific. Honestly, most of these mods seem to heavily favor the Japanese given the Japanese players' ability to control production and churn out more airframes than the United States...

Which seems totally ridiculous. The American player should either have more control over production, or their should be a "production AI" for the Allies that is responsive to Japanese production.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

She seems to in Focus Pacific. Honestly, most of these mods seem to heavily favor the Japanese given the Japanese players' ability to control production and churn out more airframes than the United States...

Which seems totally ridiculous. The American player should either have more control over production, or their should be a "production AI" for the Allies that is responsive to Japanese production.

I disagree with this. Yes, the US player has no control of production, but they also have no political limitations. So when the Japanese player runs roughshod over India and Australia there isn't any pressure to do anything about it at all. Running away and never engaging has no consequences provided auto victory is avoided, which is actually really easy to do. In a current game on the Matrix forums Hawaii was conquered and the entire battleship fleet was sunk, along with much of Alaska, with the US West coast strategically bombed. The allied player can completely ignore this as irrelevant since no permanent damage happens and there's no pressure to act beyond the bare minimum.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Velius posted:

I disagree with this. Yes, the US player has no control of production, but they also have no political limitations. So when the Japanese player runs roughshod over India and Australia there isn't any pressure to do anything about it at all. Running away and never engaging has no consequences provided auto victory is avoided, which is actually really easy to do. In a current game on the Matrix forums Hawaii was conquered and the entire battleship fleet was sunk, along with much of Alaska, with the US West coast strategically bombed. The allied player can completely ignore this as irrelevant since no permanent damage happens and there's no pressure to act beyond the bare minimum.

Granted I have never played in one of these late war super games, but it seems patently ridiculous that, no matter how well the war is going for the Japanese, they should be able to out produce the United States in anything after 1944.

Now having said that, I totally agree with you. I think DC: Barbarossa was genius for trying to implement political consequences for the players' actions.

For example, nothing is more annoying than War in The East players bickering about historical accuracy when none of them support the addition of any game mechanic that would give the player anything other than complete operational freedom for either side.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

How much does the Allied aircraft purchase system help in mitigating this at least with the airframes?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

goatface posted:

I assume Grey has redesigned the whole economy until they do.

There's an economy button?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Grey Hunter posted:

There's an economy button?

Oh my god.

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013
The KB has been very quiet considering its pretty much the only active large surface group for the Japanese, too many ships using up command points or is it just been unlucky for targets?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Velius posted:

Can you post a link?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dreamsicle posted:

How much does the Allied aircraft purchase system help in mitigating this at least with the airframes?

If you mean Player Defined Upgrades, it helps insofar as making sure your front-line squadrons are using the better airframes, but it can still mean Japan has you beat on the relative number of and quality of airframes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So how do you actually replicate how easily Singapore fell to Japan in this game? It seems like for all the bonuses Japan gets in the early game regarding amphibious assaults, carrier cooperation and Pearl Harbour, Singapore remains the unbeatable fortress it completely failed to be in real life.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you mean Player Defined Upgrades, it helps insofar as making sure your front-line squadrons are using the better airframes, but it can still mean Japan has you beat on the relative number of and quality of airframes.

I'm referring to this mod. I saw it in paradigmblue's focus pacific mod and I was wondering if people who have used it can feel any difference.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Gort posted:

So how do you actually replicate how easily Singapore fell to Japan in this game? It seems like for all the bonuses Japan gets in the early game regarding amphibious assaults, carrier cooperation and Pearl Harbour, Singapore remains the unbeatable fortress it completely failed to be in real life.

Singapore's fate (in terms of how quickly it falls) is dictated by how much supplies you got there and what fort levels it has, as well as if you get reinforcements there. At the start of the game there's a bunch of troop convoys that start off heading for Singapore (and Rangoon), but generally those are turned away by the Allies or actively interdicted by an IJN player. Most IJN players focus their efforts on taking several decent airstrips in the DEI for basing torpedo bombers and fighters, which makes it really hard to ship anything without having CV-provided air cover.

The AI won't redirect it's troops away, and I think on some/most difficulty levels gets a supply bonus, so it's going to be a harder nut to crack than normal. It's not really unbeatable, it's about getting enough troops there. Force concentration in the ground game is hugely important.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We continue to move up Sumatra.

We crack a fort level at Changsha.

Well, that was a dull day.

Well, that's frikkin useful.

Two good, one bad.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

pthighs posted:

Can you post a link?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3861156

That's the allied side. The Japanese player dropped and another less experienced guy picked it up so that side is somewhat fragmented. There's another one that went into hiatus with a similar Pearl conquest, I'm not sure which one caught the whole fleet between the two.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

Pervis posted:

Singapore's fate (in terms of how quickly it falls) is dictated by how much supplies you got there and what fort levels it has, as well as if you get reinforcements there. At the start of the game there's a bunch of troop convoys that start off heading for Singapore (and Rangoon), but generally those are turned away by the Allies or actively interdicted by an IJN player. Most IJN players focus their efforts on taking several decent airstrips in the DEI for basing torpedo bombers and fighters, which makes it really hard to ship anything without having CV-provided air cover.

The AI won't redirect it's troops away, and I think on some/most difficulty levels gets a supply bonus, so it's going to be a harder nut to crack than normal. It's not really unbeatable, it's about getting enough troops there. Force concentration in the ground game is hugely important.

It's really easy to starve out Singapore as Japan, or at minimum isolate it to irrelevance. How quickly you take it depends on a lot of things, like force concentration and whether or not you want to try and Mershing gambit or not on turn 1.

Edit

I just want to point out here that ^^ is correct. It isn't necessarily a good idea to not take Singapore ASAP as Japan, but it is totally possible to work around it/starve it if you want to.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 28, 2016

paradigmblue
Oct 12, 2003

Dreamsicle posted:

I'm referring to this mod. I saw it in paradigmblue's focus pacific mod and I was wondering if people who have used it can feel any difference.

I didn't want to hijack Grey's thread with Focus Pacific talk, so I replied to you in my thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitewhale
Feb 21, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Two good, one bad.

Are you sure you selected the correct island for the Pearl raid? The naval war is going to get painful soon.