Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
a game that involves an intricate combination of boorish womanising, alcoholism, combat, a stealth system that involves hiding under tables, espionage and diplomacy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Disinterested posted:

a game that involves an intricate combination of boorish womanising, alcoholism, combat, a stealth system that involves hiding under tables, espionage and diplomacy

ahh i see you've been reading my diary

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Aeryk posted:

While motion pictures have a strict code that forbids us to offend or insult any group or nation—while we dare not present in an unfavorable light the tiniest Balkan kingdom—we permit ourselves to smear and slander American businessmen in the most irresponsibly dishonest manner.

It is true that there are vicious businessmen—just as there are vicious men in any other class or profession. But we have been practising an outrageous kind of double standard: we do not attack individual representatives of any other group, class or nation, in order not to imply an attack on the whole group; yet when we present individual businessmen as monsters, we claim that no reflection on the whole class of business men was intended.

What are you quoting

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

What are you quoting

the finest philosopher of our generation, ayn rand

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
she had a whole helpful pamphlet made up for Hollywood types you know

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
What page was that NYT article about promoting conservatism in the social sciences posted? Ayn Rand would love that poo poo

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

PleasingFungus posted:

they are pretty clearly going for an explicit mixture of "ww1" with "medieval armour/weapons" to more clearly create an alt-history vibe. (the alt-history thing is also why there are so many zeppelins, ofc.)

none of thats really alt-history tho

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
im the guy with the flail who everyone quietly loathes

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the machine gun has been invented, i'm going to equip my soldiers with morning stars - some military person apparently

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Disinterested posted:

they're by the leading experts on the overarching history of the war

clark's book is widely considered the best

Was he the Australian

He was awesome

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Disinterested posted:

tabletop roleplaying games have this but alas i cant think of a video game that does

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

paranoid randroid posted:

im the guy with the flail who everyone quietly loathes

dammit randroid

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
if anyone is flailing in this thread, it's me

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

paranoid randroid posted:

none of thats really alt-history tho

some of these are just pliers

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
a tommy very patiently explaining to his commanding officer that the technical term is nunchaku

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LorrdErnie posted:

some of these are just pliers

i'm pretty sure one of those things is a steampunk sword

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
Crushes you with bolt cutter

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
cant say id be looking to gently caress with the guy swinging the grenade on a stick either

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm on a post flail flail back

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

kustomkarkommando posted:

Team up with a spunky war weary Ottoman pasha convinced the Central powers will lose the war as you play a brave German-american going deep undercover in Gernany

you can't be both spunky and war weary

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

the machine gun has been invented, i'm going to equip my soldiers with morning stars - some military person apparently

most of these things were handmade because a big long bolt action rifle with a bayonet is a pretty bad weapon when you're fighting dudes in a muddy ditch

when america got involved we cleaned up because we equipped our guys with shotguns which were so effective in ditch fighting that the germans complained and tried to get them banned as inhumane

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

did anyone catch the eurosong semis? pretty poor selection this year. i liked israel, georgia, serbia, bulgaria and our entry. ukraine's entry was garbage, as were macedonia and albania

anyway, here's johnny logan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qURxESCEENc

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

most of these things were handmade because a big long bolt action rifle with a bayonet is a pretty bad weapon when you're fighting dudes in a muddy ditch

when america got involved we cleaned up because we equipped our guys with shotguns which were so effective in ditch fighting that the germans complained and tried to get them banned as inhumane

irl cries of "SHOTTY NOOB" echo across the battlefield

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

mandatory lesbian posted:

hand to hand trench combat before the advent of submachine guns

you had some use of short barreled shotguns and early flamethrowers, but the majority of the close in fighting was knifes and blunt instruments

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bringing a gun to a flail-fight is the reason why america was invincible...interesting

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

lol, no you didn't

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

hand to hand trench combat before the advent of submachine guns

you had some use of short barreled shotguns and early flamethrowers, but the majority of the close in fighting was knifes and blunt instruments

well grenades also, which were really modernized before and during ww1 aside from the traditional process of "soldiers improvising burning/exploding hunks of crap to throw at each other"

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

you can't be both spunky and war weary

ataturk was always spunky

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

That scamp

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

R. Mute posted:

lol, no you didn't

uh oh a challenger appears...who do i believe, euro scum or american strong

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLcHl15qNGw

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

lol, no you didn't

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897#World_War_I_protests

pump action shotguns had only just been invented like 20 years earlier and more traditional hunting shotguns are not great to use in combat else the euro combatants would have used them

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

"admins kick america they are shotty spamming"

"git gud, kraut"

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

R. Mute posted:

lol, no you didn't

i'm sorry we didn't live up to belgium's martial example

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1897#World_War_I_protests

pump action shotguns had only just been invented like 20 years earlier and more traditional hunting shotguns are not great to use in combat
yeah, i know about that, i've seen the millions of factoid pages on the internet as well. point is that america didn't 'clean up' once they got involved in the war.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

such pride in being good at war things *weeps away single tear*

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I salute the k/d ratio of our brave war men

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

R. Mute posted:

yeah, i know about that, i've seen the millions of factoid pages on the internet as well. point is that america didn't 'clean up' once they got involved in the war.

oh poo poo my flippant post about strange weapons of worls war one has now devolved into an argument over the historical legacies of war

this is hands down not what i anticipated

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
our primary martial skill is waiting until the fight is half over, then jumping out of an alley to thump one of the combatants over the head and take all the credit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

oh poo poo my flippant post about strange weapons of worls war one has now devolved into an argument over the historical legacies of war

this is hands down not what i anticipated
the day i got my history degree, i had to swear on my forefathers that i'd be really really anal about any historical statements

ive yet to let them down

• Locked thread