Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FDR actually spent some time treasure hunting. Also, I first saw a "second-biggest" gag in Commander Keen 6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

And here I was thinking it was a reference to the third Uncharted game with the well or whatever that they kept the djinn-juice in.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
So did they have to cut some content for time here? That transition between islands felt really jarring, like there should have been a shooty scene or a longer cinematic there.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Wow, Nathan got so injured he actually slowed down to a human level of climbing speed.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I love that Get Smart's "That's the second biggest X I've ever seen!" gag has now transmitted for at least 2 or so generations simply due to repetition through various forms of media. That's how good a comedy writer Mel Brooks is!

RIP Don Adams.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
My big problem with this whole sequence is that it's yet another Cyclopean edifice constructed by our comparatively rag-tag alliance of pirates. It's an escalation that seemingly owes more to the game being the fourth in the series than the actual narrative.

I mean, what is this, the fourth megaconstruction they've built, including elaborate puzzle mechanisms and incredibly sophisticated architecture? It's one thing to expect magnificent architecture and puzzles from an ancient superhuman Tibetan kingdom or an accomplished, possibly-supernaturally-aided city-state deep in the Arabian desert in nearby lands. They had time, and we can't really guess at what sorts of incredible feats these civilizations would have been capable of.

It's quite another for a group of pirates to construct incredible wonders rivalling any of the greatest works of architecture of their day not only on a nearby island (and really, what was the purpose of the watch towers and chambers on Madgascar proper? Libertalia isn't even on the same landmass, so what is it guarding from?) but on a second nearby island, just to decorate their staging area. This stuff would have taken months! Years! And even if we assume they were recruiting people, each of these pirate ships would have held maybe fifty to a hundred people tops?

I mean, Libertalia wasn't intending to be recruiting people for centuries, presumably. This was all an elaborate sales pitch for the most part. The Scotland puzzles - ok, they make sense, sort of; they're just expanding on existing caverns beneath an existing cathedral, and constructed out of basalt. But the Madagascar tower sequence and this one feel like they're not narratively justified in how elaborate they are.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, and its environments are beautiful. The story is otherwise really good. But it feels like the game has one or two megaconstruction chapters too many, basically. In its desire to be a globe-trotting narrative, it chose a poor MacGuffin in (comparatively) so-far-as-we-know mundane treasure?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Nov 26, 2016

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Star Platinum posted:

So did they have to cut some content for time here? That transition between islands felt really jarring, like there should have been a shooty scene or a longer cinematic there.

Go watch the first episode again. It starts with the "Cut" scene and then everything since then has been a "flashback".

Frog and Toad
Jul 31, 2008

That was some Bethesda-rear end area design

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I don't remember having Drake fruitlessly trying to climb a mountain that's 90% surfaces just slightly too steep for him to climb. :v:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
So now's the part where we switch to playing Elena or Sully and have to bail the Drakes out, right? I don't think that's ever happened in the series and I think it would be neat.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I don't remember having Drake fruitlessly trying to climb a mountain that's 90% surfaces just slightly too steep for him to climb. :v:

I'll have you know that I've climbed the Throat of the World without using the path at all. Bethesda mountain climbing is an art and a lesson in perseverance.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jetrauben posted:

My big problem with this whole sequence is that it's yet another Cyclopean edifice constructed by our comparatively rag-tag alliance of pirates. It's an escalation that seemingly owes more to the game being the fourth in the series than the actual narrative.

I mean, what is this, the fourth megaconstruction they've built, including elaborate puzzle mechanisms and incredibly sophisticated architecture? It's one thing to expect magnificent architecture and puzzles from an ancient superhuman Tibetan kingdom or an accomplished, possibly-supernaturally-aided city-state deep in the Arabian desert in nearby lands. They had time, and we can't really guess at what sorts of incredible feats these civilizations would have been capable of.

It's quite another for a group of pirates to construct incredible wonders rivalling any of the greatest works of architecture of their day not only on a nearby island (and really, what was the purpose of the watch towers and chambers on Madgascar proper? Libertalia isn't even on the same landmass, so what is it guarding from?) but on a second nearby island, just to decorate their staging area. This stuff would have taken months! Years! And even if we assume they were recruiting people, each of these pirate ships would have held maybe fifty to a hundred people tops?

I mean, Libertalia wasn't intending to be recruiting people for centuries, presumably. This was all an elaborate sales pitch for the most part. The Scotland puzzles - ok, they make sense, sort of; they're just expanding on existing caverns beneath an existing cathedral, and constructed out of basalt. But the Madagascar tower sequence and this one feel like they're not narratively justified in how elaborate they are.

Don't get me wrong, I love the game, and its environments are beautiful. The story is otherwise really good. But it feels like the game has one or two megaconstruction chapters too many, basically. In its desire to be a globe-trotting narrative, it chose a poor MacGuffin in (comparatively) so-far-as-we-know mundane treasure?

The bas-reliefs' story of the founding of Libertalia suggests that the pirate captains pooled their treasure and then built Libertalia. The trials could have been a later addition when they got settled and decided to start recruiting more.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
So Chip, you are going to go back and collect the strange relic that you passed up before jumping down into the cistern, right?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

chitoryu12 posted:

The bas-reliefs' story of the founding of Libertalia suggests that the pirate captains pooled their treasure and then built Libertalia. The trials could have been a later addition when they got settled and decided to start recruiting more.

Well, why even bother with the ones on Madagascar? At the least, the watchtowers specifically are implied to have been built prior to Libertalia?

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
What Drake & Sam didn't realize is that they arrived on the island Ganondorf utterly destroys in Wind Waker.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Go watch the first episode again. It starts with the "Cut" scene and then everything since then has been a "flashback".

What, you expect me to remember a video I watched three months ago? :downs: Thanks for reminding my dumb rear end.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Shoren posted:

So Chip, you are going to go back and collect the strange relic that you passed up before jumping down into the cistern, right?

I knew I forgot about something!!!

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Chip Cheezum posted:

How do you think Sully has kept up with Nate all these years? He uses glitches.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Highwang posted:

What Drake & Sam didn't realize is that they arrived on the island Ganondorf utterly destroys in Wind Waker.

The big fantasy aspect to this game is Drake and Sam meeting a giant talking Angler/Catfish

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shoren posted:

I was waiting for it for the whole video because I forgot where it shows up in this chapter :negative:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Chip Cheezum posted:

I knew I forgot about something!!!

While you're at it, it looks like there was another relief in the planning area with the reliefs at the cistern bottom.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Chip Cheezum posted:

I'm going to Disney World in a week, so I really hope I can get enough updates recorded in time to fill the gap while I'm gone!
If not, you can always just record an LP of the Pirates of the Carribean ride.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky

Fecha posted:

If not, you can always just record an LP of the Pirates of the Carribean ride.

Hey guys, welcome to my Assassin's Creed stream, coming at you live from the Hall of Presidents.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

George posted:

FDR actually spent some time treasure hunting. Also, I first saw a "second-biggest" gag in Commander Keen 6.

Seriously though, folks should read up on the Oak Island Money Pit, poo poo's wild. Here's two of my friends talking about it for their show: https://www.blurryphotos.org/episode-69-oak-island/

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

Highwang posted:

That or the similar genre and the presence of someone named Sam confused the video game ocean and they accidentally sailed to the magic storm island from the first of the newest Tomb Raider games and Drake is now gonna have to save Sam from becoming the vessel for a magic ghost.

Also, looking it up, that Hamsa bird statue may have been a really subtle reference to Uncharted 2? The heavenly hamsa is a bird that lives in the Himalayas and can separate the liquids out of a mix of water and Soma, a sacred drink that apparently grants immortality.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This game really is Indianna Jones if the temple builders had twice the budget of the ones in Legend of Zelda. Giant statues are pretty common in games because all you have to do is take the person model you've already made and scale it up and stick a statuesque texture on it, but those embossed reliefs had to take so much effort to make.

There was a moment where I thought that the wet rock was slanted so much that Drake should've slipped, and then the whole thing just broke away. What a game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Jetrauben posted:

I too find it off putting when unrealistic things happen in videogare you loving kidding one of these games had tree sap zombies who gives a gently caress.

quote:

Seriously though, folks should read up on the Oak Island Money Pit, poo poo's wild.

Oak Island is a testimony to the stupidity/gullibility of people. Its real cool but also 100% gotta be bullshit because never in the history of history has something like that ever actually happened.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

ZeusCannon posted:

Oak Island is a testimony to the stupidity/gullibility of people. Its real cool but also 100% gotta be bullshit because never in the history of history has something like that ever actually happened.
Yeah, that's the wild part. Anything that's ever gone missing, and many things that haven't, have been theorized to be in the hole. My favorite theory is that the original sighting was actually pirates retrieving their treasure, so there was never anything left to find in the first place...

Oh poo poo I have a new theory about this game.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ZeusCannon posted:

I too find it off putting when unrealistic things happen in videogare you loving kidding one of these games had tree sap zombies who gives a gently caress.

I really dislike when people bring up this kind of point. There's quite a difference between things that are out of the realm of feasibility, and out of the realm of possibility. Tree sap zombies are not possible, so being annoyed by their presence is unreasonable. The pyrates building all these crazy elaborate things, even with their big fortunes and manpower, is possible but unfeasible.

It's unrealistic not in the sense that it bothers people because it can't happen in our world, it's unrealistic in the sense that within the confines of the story they would most likely not have been able to do all this unless they were richer-than-god supervillains commanding entire nations of people. The difference between the two examples is that while the game says they are both possible in its world, the latter is harder to accept because even with the information the game gives us it's still stretching it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 27, 2016

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Futility Closet also did a really good podcast on this, with the above photo of a 27-year-old FDR (third from right) in 1909 tryna get him some treasure.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CJacobs posted:

... they were richer-than-god supervillains commanding entire nations of people.

His name is Guybrush Threepwood and he is the Mightiest Pyrate I will have you know good sir :colbert:

To be more on point, these elaborate structures built by lost civilizations is something of a thing in the Uncharted games. It's not really new. What is new is the sheer scale compared to the people that built them this time. I mean, you don't expect Pyrates to exhibit traits of master City Planners and masonry/gadgetry. Clearly Avery was such a masterful rogue of the sea that he stole everyone's perception of him being the late-1600's early-1700's version of Archimedes.

I suspect a pretty big payoff is coming from all the architectural buildup we've seen so far.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EponymousMrYar posted:

I suspect a pretty big payoff is coming from all the architectural buildup we've seen so far.

Congratulations Mr. Drake, your reward is a titanium grappling hook.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

EponymousMrYar posted:

His name is Guybrush Threepwood and he is the Mightiest Pyrate I will have you know good sir :colbert:

To be more on point, these elaborate structures built by lost civilizations is something of a thing in the Uncharted games. It's not really new. What is new is the sheer scale compared to the people that built them this time. I mean, you don't expect Pyrates to exhibit traits of master City Planners and masonry/gadgetry. Clearly Avery was such a masterful rogue of the sea that he stole everyone's perception of him being the late-1600's early-1700's version of Archimedes.

Part of the issue here is that this isn't from some ancient, barely if at all documented civilization spoken of mostly in rumor and myth. We have a much, much better idea of the sort of resources and technology they could bring to bear on the issue.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
They're pirates. Presumably they stole the rad resources and technology from one of a dozen possible super advanced lost civilizations in the area.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Are we allowed to speculate in the thread or is that a no-no?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Grizzwold posted:

So now's the part where we switch to playing Elena or Sully and have to bail the Drakes out, right? I don't think that's ever happened in the series and I think it would be neat.

You know that's not how this series does recovery from greivous injury. Nathan will either pass out and wake up in some other mythical location- maybe Valhalla or Atlantis- and find himself already patched up and Elena or Sully will show up.

OR. He'll shrug it off after a room of weakness just like Raiden

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Zomborgon posted:

I'll have you know that I've climbed the Throat of the World without using the path at all. Bethesda mountain climbing is an art and a lesson in perseverance.

Or you can just get a horse and brute-force it.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zomborgon posted:

And horses.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
This is the UC4 thread but since there isn't C&I general I'm just gonna post in here that I love the Watch_Dogs 2 video on your youtube channel. The first thought I had after I saw videos of the game in its released state was "I hope C&I are going to LP this turd" :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Trogdos! posted:

This is the UC4 thread but since there isn't C&I general I'm just gonna post in here that I love the Watch_Dogs 2 video on your youtube channel. The first thought I had after I saw videos of the game in its released state was "I hope C&I are going to LP this turd" :v:

That video and the one on twitter where the cop car was trying REALLY hard to drive through a van were excellent :v: I certainly wouldn't want to play the game, but it looks like it's still a great spectator sport.

• Locked thread