Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Is there any way to force my Chromebook to sync with Google drive? I've got some files there that aren't showing up on my local device and I'm not sure how to force it to go back and check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Is there any way to force my Chromebook to sync with Google drive? I've got some files there that aren't showing up on my local device and I'm not sure how to force it to go back and check

Ah, I've had that same issue on occasion. I'm not aware of a way to specifically force a sync, but I've found that visiting the changed directory both via the file explorer and from drive.google.com can get it to wake up and transfer the changed files.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Friend of mine has an HP Stream (13?) from years ago. He got in touch the other week when he started getting error messages for installing VLC, turns out the poor 32GB onboard storage had about 8 bits left on a Windows 10 installation - presumably a release that's now end of life, or it certainly can't update itself even if it isn't.

I got him to uninstall some stuff and run the Windows cleanup utility but these are obviously only temporary mitigations. Longer term he needs either a Linux distro or ChromeOS Flex. He wants to store music and some video locally on the onboard storage.

ChromeOS is the obvious choice, but I don't know what apps/extensions or whatever it uses to play local media or if that works as it does on Windows. Can anyone comment?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Friend of mine has an HP Stream (13?) from years ago. He got in touch the other week when he started getting error messages for installing VLC, turns out the poor 32GB onboard storage had about 8 bits left on a Windows 10 installation - presumably a release that's now end of life, or it certainly can't update itself even if it isn't.

I got him to uninstall some stuff and run the Windows cleanup utility but these are obviously only temporary mitigations. Longer term he needs either a Linux distro or ChromeOS Flex. He wants to store music and some video locally on the onboard storage.

ChromeOS is the obvious choice, but I don't know what apps/extensions or whatever it uses to play local media or if that works as it does on Windows. Can anyone comment?

You can use VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-chromeos.html

The interface is bonkers but it works. Some media types work natively, too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

cruft posted:

You can use VLC https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-chromeos.html

The interface is bonkers but it works. Some media types work natively, too.

Thanks, I'll bear this in mind. Any recommendations for music players on ChromeOS?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks, I'll bear this in mind. Any recommendations for music players on ChromeOS?

I use PlexAmp for my Plex media, and the built-in thing for stuff I've downloaded to the MicroSD card. But you can run a whole bunch of Android apps on a Chromebook, so you've got pantloads to choose from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

We just did a big chromebook shuffle.

I'm back on the OG Pixelbook. Cruft Jr now has a Lenovo Duet, and Ms Cruft takes the HP X2.

Jr tried Windows for a full year in college and is sick of it. I know Google will eventually crap this OS up, but for the time being, it sure is nice to have a computer that you can turn on and start doing work, without having to fight the OS to install updates or make the sound card work or whatever.