Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Of course this is subjective, but as a woman I feel the clip is sufficiently mocking McConaughey's obvious psychopathy. If someone identifies with him, I know to stay the gently caress away at risk of my life.

e: What a loving awful snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Ok, an isolated clip from the movie that doesn't have anything to do with the discussion at hand? Like, who are the people getting upset at that clip?

Also lol I called him Jerry Constanza, gently caress I shouldn't post before my coffee

Technically none of this has to do with the discussion at hand in this thread, and the poster was in fact replying to someone who was in fact not happy with that specific joke

Not shutting down this line of discussion because it's interesting but that's not a great line to use to try to dismiss someone for not replying to your particular Tropic Thunder criticisms in what is ostensibly the Ricky Gervais mock thread

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jul 1, 2022

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I for one am pissed that Ricky did blackface in Tropic Saddles. He should be cancelled to the greatest extent of the law!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ah gotcha, that's my bad, I missed that he was responding to someone specifically.

Personally, I'm not into those kinds of jokes because I'm friends with sex workers. It's the least egregious part of that film, but it is justified to bring up as both a crappy and lazy joke.

That clip, however, is just really bad, the timing sucks and I don't think McConaughey is that funny. Oh haha, he thought he was switching agents but actually, he's being attacked. Hoo hoo, hah hah. Hm. Ben Stiller pooping the eyeball in his mouth is the best part and it's not enough to sustain the joke.

Feels like its only slightly better than an SNL sketch, and most of that is in the production - nicer sets.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 1, 2022

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
In fact, the entire movie feels like what might have been a somewhat solid sketch idea, dragged on for far far FAR too long

meanwhile, this poo poo is still evergreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRB1mpEFeCQ

(not to say there aren't some problems with Blazing Saddles - Mel Brooks does redface, woof - but the humor is still solid. and let us not forget, the greatest scene in cinema history, for the very smart and cultured among us: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPIP9KXdmO0)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jul 1, 2022

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

The last time Ricky Gervais was funny was on the 11 o'clock show.

Thanks for reading my hot take on 90's British TV.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

A black person using blackface or the conventions of minstrelsy to comment on or deconstruct racism and racist stereotypes is a completely different situation than a white person milking it for cheap laughs and telling they're oh so clever about it. Think about Bamboozled using blackface and Tropic Thunder doing it.

only one member of The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy was black. the DJ, who came up with the music and the idea to use the sample, was not black

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

precision posted:

only one member of The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy was black. the DJ, who came up with the music and the idea to use the sample, was not black

This is TOO MUCH CONTEXT

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

for fucks sake posted:

The last time Ricky Gervais was funny was on the 11 o'clock show.

Thanks for reading my hot take on 90's British TV.

there are a bunch of really funny parts on Extras, like really quite a few

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
but, that's fine, we've now established that you are not completely insane. you are aware that there are times when blackface can be used. there are exceptions. we only disagree on one specific use of it. that's okay with me, if it's okay with you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Poohs Packin posted:

I know guys who thought that Edward Norton's character in American History X was "badass" and didn't think past that point, same with American Psycho.

People suck at understanding movies, broadly.

hard agree

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

I say we build a wall to keep the racists out. And we get the Mexicans to pay for it.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Caesar Saladin posted:

there are a bunch of really funny parts on Extras, like really quite a few

i liked when david bowie sang a song about him

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Imma cancel my boner by rubbin it

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I got a mug back from when the IT Crowd was on the air and Channel 4 sold the crappiest merch imaginable. We're talking, poo poo from redbubble quality.

After 15 years of washes, the image is nearly gone. I've thought about throwing it out, bc gently caress Graham Lineham, but seeing it slowly fade into nothing is more satisfying.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the big fat quiz of the year, frankly, is racist to fat people

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

precision posted:

the big fat quiz of the year, frankly, is racist to fat people

your posts are offensive to people with brain cells

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

poo poo, you got me. well, guess i'll just go kill myself

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This thread has lost sight of what's important.

Did he do it? Is Ricky Gervais cancelled yet?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

CPL593H posted:

Who?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CPL593H posted:

off topic. reported

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

CPL593H posted:

he did it! his show the office has been cancelled!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CPL593H posted:

every day i check to see if the thread title has changed to "I got cancelled!" Ricky Gervais complains on twitter

Bar Patron
Jun 12, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't find them offensive...

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Poohs Packin posted:

I know guys who thought that Edward Norton's character in American History X was "badass" and didn't think past that point, same with American Psycho.

People suck at understanding movies, broadly.

Bee Vang - The young Hmong guy who befriends Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino - has never acted in a film since.

He went to screenings of it and was shocked when everyone just bust out laughing at Clint's racist slurs from the movie. Talk about not getting it.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

precision posted:

but, that's fine, we've now established that you are not completely insane. you are aware that there are times when blackface can be used. there are exceptions. we only disagree on one specific use of it. that's okay with me, if it's okay with you.

What’s most important is to make sure you get the right kind of shoe polish.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
He can't keep getting away with it*!!!!!!!!!!!

* havin' a laugh

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Valko posted:

Bee Vang - The young Hmong guy who befriends Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino - has never acted in a film since.

He went to screenings of it and was shocked when everyone just bust out laughing at Clint's racist slurs from the movie. Talk about not getting it.

I love Gran Torino as a former Detroiter but its message gets real confused. I kinda just see it as a period piece about Hamtramck at this point.

Clint Eastwoods character is clearly just a thinly veiled self insert fantasy for Clint.

The part where he intimidates the black dudes who are harassing the Juggalo type guy is every suburban right wing boat dads fuckin wet dream.

"So I told those (slurs) to kick rocks and told the white kid to stop acting so (slurrish), high five, bottles of Stroh's all around!"

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Bar Patron posted:

I didn't find them offensive...

im sorry you had to find out about your lack of braincells this way:smith:

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr
I remember when kangol was the flavour of the month

gas this dreary poo poo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Carlos Lantana posted:

I remember when kangol was the flavour of the month

gas this dreary poo poo

it was always depressing to me that Michael Franti was so down on faux-cultural posings and then he goes and starts Spearhead

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Poohs Packin posted:

I love Gran Torino as a former Detroiter but its message gets real confused. I kinda just see it as a period piece about Hamtramck at this point.

Clint Eastwoods character is clearly just a thinly veiled self insert fantasy for Clint.

The part where he intimidates the black dudes who are harassing the Juggalo type guy is every suburban right wing boat dads fuckin wet dream.

"So I told those (slurs) to kick rocks and told the white kid to stop acting so (slurrish), high five, bottles of Stroh's all around!"

I never watched that movie. It came out, and I kept hearing people parrot the same line that "I didn't know there were so many slurs for asian people!" They seemed to take nothing else away from the movie. Granted, I live in Pennsyltuckey.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gran Torino is an anti racist tale told by a 90 year old white guy who is clearly sort of racist himself. It's not a bad movie, but a lot of the depictions of minorities are pretty eye rolling. It's definitely got some "we like you if you are one of the good ones" undertones going on.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Das Boo posted:

If any of you fuckers slam Zoolander I will lose my goddamn mind.

Zoolander was a pile of poo poo and the only funny scene was the gas fight but even that has gotten old

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Poohs Packin posted:

bottles of Stroh's

Hang on just a minute here

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

Gran Torino is an anti racist tale told by a 90 year old white guy who is clearly sort of racist himself. It's not a bad movie, but a lot of the depictions of minorities are pretty eye rolling. It's definitely got some "we like you if you are one of the good ones" undertones going on.

Its better as a film about death and purpose/meaning. He lives a lonely empty life until he sets his prejudice aside.

Unfortunately the evil gangsters are incredibly flat antagonists when there was a great opportunity to use them to unpack the experience of a young male immigrant in a violent post industrial american city.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Crazypoops posted:

Zoolander was a pile of poo poo and the only funny scene was the gas fight but even that has gotten old

What is this?! A post for pissants?!

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Poohs Packin posted:

Its better as a film about death and purpose/meaning. He lives a lonely empty life until he sets his prejudice aside.

No there’s a bad word in the movie therefore it is bad.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Hittin' The Slopes with Clint Eastwood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWVpKTnGAFY