Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Folks I started playing this and why is Mathieu so tiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

goblin week posted:

some guys are small

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

as a youth his growth was decimated

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
He picked the Small Frame trait at character creation

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

goblin week posted:

Short King Mathieu

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

idonotlikepeas posted:

I honestly thought that was the joke with Ill Peter. You know, he keeps getting sicker and older but will not die.

And this, I took as a sign that despite his prickly attitude, Mathieu was actually a good person at heart. (In fact, I seem to recall that you can just tell him the truth about why you want the money and he'll give it to you.)

Yeah that was my take

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

First time I played on the Xbox, I got the advance no problem.

Replaying on the Switch, I didn't get it. Ill Peter can die!? :cry:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Can you ever learn more about the landsknecht who's hanging out in act 2? He seemed like a really chill dude who didnt care that I tried to sucker punch him in a tavern brawl. Maybe that's just cause he layed me out

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Buschmaki posted:

Can you ever learn more about the landsknecht who's hanging out in act 2? He seemed like a really chill dude who didnt care that I tried to sucker punch him in a tavern brawl. Maybe that's just cause he layed me out

he's a professional violence-doer, owning some dumbass is just a typical day to day job responsibility

it's basically just sending an email

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
I'm just like a landsknecht, I say to myself, as I send an email gently noting that I already explained this topic twice

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"This battle could have been an email" I think despondently as I crush someone's skull with a mace.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 18, 2024

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think he's just there to show that the soldiers that will murder half the town if poo poo goes south are just as human as anyone else, oh and also a rabble of commoners is going to get absolutely hosed if they try to pick a fight, you don't even register as a threat. He's meant to be a general sort of person, rather than a specific individual with a particular plot role.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

The Lone Badger posted:

"This battle could have been an email" I think despondently as I crush someone's skull with a mace.

This is what all those condotierri said in their fake battles they performed just to get money

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Played this over the long weekend. Such a great experience that I want to start all over again immediately, because now after reading this thread I realized I missed so much.

I was overall happy with my choices, and I think even happy with how I played for the first time. In the first act I was zooming through, basically only talking to people necessary to forward the investigation leads I was on. Which I think was appropriate for Andreas at that time in his life. Then in the second act I slowed down a bit, trying to make fewer "mistakes," and thought I was talking to everyone but clearly I was not. There were whole parts of the family tree at the end I didn't even recognize. Even in Act 3 when I really thought I was being thorough, the guy who burns at the stake, I was like "who is that?" Then I faintly remembered him as someone who only ever said "Hey, Andreas." So I must have just picked the wrong times to try to talk to him.

That said, I'm glad I almost "rushed" my first play through because I wanted to see the whole thing, and getting it done in the long weekend felt good. Now I can start a new game and really take my time without feeling like if I don't move quick I won't ever finish (have a family, this is common). Make different choices, like being a hedonist.

Great game, will leave me thinking for a long time, can't wait to start again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Have fun! It's an amazing game and the amount of stuff you can uncover and how things can end up never failed to wow me.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
I just got into the third act myself. This is one of the best written games in existence. Probably need to finish and think a little before I have anything else to say but it is such an incredible, subtle, and human story full of empathy and nuance. So many keen observations and it always manages to lever the unspoken depth to encounters and scenarios. And God drat can it ever throw gut punches you never saw coming.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
My copy of Name of the Rose just got in at the library :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

unattended spaghetti posted:

And God drat can it ever throw gut punches you never saw coming.

There's even an achievement for that! :haw:

Riven posted:

It's so good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Riven posted:

Umberto Eco was a drat good writer, and had a good taste in the fiction he read.