Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
scum rushes aren't really a thing for the most part, there are always those horrible moments where you bad guy and you have the game in your hands and you just need your buddy to vote and then its 2 hours later and oh look they lynch has past

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
then you play the charlie brown music

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
because you are really sad

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Asiina posted:

I'm just saying that we can use the postgame to help people understand what happened and how they can do better in the future, but if it devolves into personal attacks I'll just close the thread and be done with it.

I am helping with the understanding part where I can.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Fast Luck posted:

Wow, waiting and trying to unvote would be intense. You could catch out some scum while you're at it..?

That's the ploy, but I've only ever seen it work with three scum left. You vote, see two quick votes and unvote before the hammer, you just caught two scum. But it's literally seconds between catching two scum and losing the game, and it's a total bitch.

windy wasn't doing that, obviously, since he voted and hosed off. His play was much more simple; he was town and he was confident in his capps call, so he forced the game to be between him and capps for the lynch. Again, it was a great move.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

mr.capps posted:

then you play the charlie brown music

In your shower with the lights off for 5 hours?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Asiina posted:

In your shower with the lights off for 5 hours?

Oh TT :allears:

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

That's the ploy, but I've only ever seen it work with three scum left. You vote, see two quick votes and unvote before the hammer, you just caught two scum. But it's literally seconds between catching two scum and losing the game, and it's a total bitch.

windy wasn't doing that, obviously, since he voted and hosed off. His play was much more simple; he was town and he was confident in his capps call, so he forced the game to be between him and capps for the lynch. Again, it was a great move.

I had no real case on him, it was entirely gut feeling and how I felt about his play and what he normally does, and just everything I'd seen, but again, there was no case to be made. It was one that would have had to have been done in lylo and no other time. And especially at the START of lylo. Let that vote be the entire case and speak for itself.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wind basically brought THUNDERDOME back from Day 1.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am the master of thunderdomes but then it suddenly turn into a turbo :(

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

mr.capps posted:

i am the master of thunderdomes but then it suddenly turn into a turbo :(

If anything, your scum buddies should have bussed you sooner than ever let there be a question of who should get voted off.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

The moment that there was the hesitation and the moment they brought up any debate of there ever being a possibility of me being scum, they made themselves scummy. The hint of that, the fact that you hadn't been hammered combined with them bringing into question that you weren't scum, meant that they SHOULD have been voted off the next day.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

You realize, of course, that everything I say is horseshit.

windshipper posted:

The scum can talk out of thread, you know. This means they can organize a rush before one of them would have (on their own volition) returned to the thread, as well. Make it happen sooner than later when it might have happened normally.

I gave Byers my phone number so he could text me since I am at work / phone posting

:slick:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah they should have been voted off for their tone, the town itself was questioning things

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tone wise scum was pretty obvious throughout this whole game, people were too focus on votes and arguments around that stuff, weird flavor arguments, and other things

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This is the number one tip to new players: don't ask what someone is posting, ask why are they posting it.

For example, everything Dhaes did, though I did enjoyed that.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah but look at TT.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Tone wise scum was pretty obvious throughout this whole game, people were too focus on votes and arguments around that stuff, weird flavor arguments, and other things

Agreed.

I was really just not in here for most of this game for a lot of personal reasons. When I did though... I tried, damnit!

But at the point you got voted off, for me it was between byers and dhaes for scum, and Mr. Maltose, pretty much. I was thinking there were two vets and two newbies on the scum team. Was not as sure of Mr. Maltose as I was of byers and dhaes, though. Probably would have lose the town the game at like, final 3 though, since I was thinking that there were two vets and two newbies on the scum team.

Byers2142
May 5, 2011

Imagine I said something deep here...

Dhaes posted:

I gave Byers my phone number so he could text me since I am at work / phone posting

I apologize in advance if you get drunk dialed tonight.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Dhaes posted:

GOod poo poo.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

windshipper posted:

Agreed.

I was really just not in here for most of this game for a lot of personal reasons. When I did though... I tried, damnit!

But at the point you got voted off, for me it was between byers and dhaes for scum, and Mr. Maltose, pretty much. I was thinking there were two vets and two newbies on the scum team. Was not as sure of Mr. Maltose as I was of byers and dhaes, though. Probably would have lose the town the game at like, final 3 though, since I was thinking that there were two vets and two newbies on the scum team.

By the way, capps, while I agree with you that tone and poo poo should have gotten them voted off sooner, what I was saying and am still saying, is that the last straw in that though (which should have gotten them voted off here) is that they didn't vote you sooner.

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

King Burgundy posted:

The funniest thing about this, is that I was the only one doing anything with flavor really before that point(and I was right, so hah), but even I, reading from the sidelines, was like WTF?!?!

No, you were wrong. Why do you think I was defending against you so easily? Why do you think my frustration seemed so genuine? It was. You were wrong. Your case was based off of flavor and a joke vote. That isn't a case. Just because I actually was scum doesn't mean you were right. It was a false positive. If you, as town, called a random person scum, you had a 4/17, just under 25%, chance of being right. That is what happened, you got lucky with one of the worst cases ever.

Also, to everyone, the tugboat thing was just me having fun. I would have done that as town or scum, look through my history of games, I do fun self imposed PRs all the time. I had one game where I pretended I was a robot and posted nothing but beeps and boops for the whole game. poo poo happens.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you may have done the tugboat thing as town or scum, but you would have done it for different reasons. as town you would probably do it to make a point, as scum it would simply be a distraction as it became in this game.

this is what i mean by asking why people do things.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
While we're all talking about the game. TT, what was the deal with your whole promise and no casing thing?

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

Byers2142 posted:

I apologize in advance if you get drunk dialed tonight.

It happens man lol

I once called CCKeane (we were unconfirmed masons, I was scum) while I was on mushrooms and convinced him I was town. Somehow.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Mr. Maltose posted:

While we're all talking about the game. TT, what was the deal with your whole promise and no casing thing?

Sincere regret. I play mafia to grandstand and be ridiculous and I shot too early

Asiina posted:

Yeah but look at TT.

I don't get this mention though :downs:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Dhaes posted:

I once called CCKeane (we were unconfirmed masons, I was scum) while I was on mushrooms and convinced him I was town. Somehow.

:respek: :lsd: :respek:

Dhaes
Dec 1, 2006

mr.capps posted:

you may have done the tugboat thing as town or scum, but you would have done it for different reasons. as town you would probably do it to make a point, as scum it would simply be a distraction as it became in this game.

this is what i mean by asking why people do things.

No, it was for fun and would have still been if I were town. You're point is right, I'm just the wrong example :)

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

Sincere regret. I play mafia to grandstand and be ridiculous and I shot too early

I don't get this mention though :downs:

You refused to case out of mourning for Prop. It could have easily been a scum play as well.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Asiina posted:

You refused to case out of mourning for Prop. It could have easily been a scum play as well.

I may be lazy town but never lazy scum!!!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tremendous Taste posted:

Mean Girls begs to differ.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Tremendous Taste posted:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Rarity posted:

Mean Girls begs to differ.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Dhaes posted:

No, you were wrong. Why do you think I was defending against you so easily? Why do you think my frustration seemed so genuine? It was. You were wrong. Your case was based off of flavor and a joke vote. That isn't a case. Just because I actually was scum doesn't mean you were right. It was a false positive. If you, as town, called a random person scum, you had a 4/17, just under 25%, chance of being right. That is what happened, you got lucky with one of the worst cases ever.

Also, to everyone, the tugboat thing was just me having fun. I would have done that as town or scum, look through my history of games, I do fun self imposed PRs all the time. I had one game where I pretended I was a robot and posted nothing but beeps and boops for the whole game. poo poo happens.

From reading the scum doc though, I got the feeling you legit thought Tugboat was valid battleship thing though. But fair enough. Pretty much everyone else was on the same page, so maybe you are right.

I will say, that once you started the hardcore RP stuff later in the game it was really awesome and I was glad you were doing it either way.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Tugboat was worth it completely for the endgame mod post.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mr. Maltose posted:

Tugboat was worth it completely for the endgame mod post.

this x1038974937, I loved all mod flavor endlessly.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Asiina posted:

Silly Burrito actually investigated Dhaes and discovered he was scum the night he was killed.

Ah well...

Thanks for running this!

drat tugboats. :)

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jul 25, 2014

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

this x1038974937, I loved all mod flavor endlessly.

Aw thanks :blush:

Dhaes wrote the parts that were like all his other writing, I just incorporated it in. I wasn't sure, but tugsubs made me laugh so hard I couldn't not!

Silly Burrito posted:

Although I didn't actually get it confirmed until now! :argh:

I did! I sent you a PM with your results the night you died!

quote:

Asiina wrote on Jul 13, 2014 10:46 PM:
You examine the manifest of all ships in the fleet. You could have sworn there is no tugboat among them, but better to be sure. Unable to find anything resembling a tugboat listed among the fleet, you call your finest officers and analysts together to determine which ship the radio transmission has been coming from.

Your men and women have been at the problem all night, when a junior officer runs up to you.

"Captain, you have to see this!"

You're brought to a console on the bridge, staring at the sonar and a printout. You've been in the service for a long time and you know what these readings mean.

"Oh god, it's a subma-"

Your declaration is cut short by an explosion and the sound of men screaming. You stand up to look out on the flight deck just before the windows shatter. You are overtaken by the ensuing fire, never feeling the cool embrace of the water.

You have died.

Also my favourite bit of flavour was writing windy's descent into madness as he got repeatedly roleblocked and then died.

quote:

Asiina wrote on Jul 20, 2014 6:38 PM:
Sipping from your coffee you're preparing for another long night. You set the coordinates to your target, but instead of the familiar beeping there is silence. Resetting the equipment doesn't help. Soon all of your instruments are malfunctioning, only static and darkness. Something is interfering with your ability to track your target. You use all of your skill to try to get your equipment working, but it is no use. The sun is rising and you throw your empty cup in frustration.

quote:

Asiina wrote on Jul 24, 2014 9:41 AM:

While the others argued during the day you tried desperately to fix your equipment. You unhook that one doodad and plug it back in again, you stare at it menacingly, you threaten it, you take one thing out and blow on it before putting it back in. As you hear the gunfire of another ship being destroyed you prepare to test all of your hard work. You set your target and hope desperately it will work.

You have failed and are once again unable to perform your duties for the fleet. Instead of the familiar beeps and pings of your equipment, you are left with the sounds of your enemy taunting you again and again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfiQYRn7fBg

quote:

Asiina wrote on Jul 24, 2014 9:42 PM:
You've had just about enough of this nonsense. You have gone mad trying to outsmart whatever is blocking you. You haven't slept in days, muttering to yourself about ghosts in the night. Your crew is starting to feel very nervous about your leadership. One could have sworn they saw you eyeing the tinfoil in the mess, remarking that you could make a good captain's hat out of it.

Yet you continue fruitlessly in your work, moving around one roadblock only to find another in its place. You will best whoever this is!

Then, as suddenly as the malfunctions began they stopped. All of your instruments spring to life and the cruel taunting ceases. If it wasn't for the broken coffee mugs and tools littered about the cabin nobody would be able to tell anything had ever been wrong.

You start to laugh, first quietly then it grows in your stomach until you can no longer contain yourself. You have been overtaken completely by madness. You laugh long and hard, so much so that you miss the warning light and are still laughing when the fire engulfs you and the sea takes you.

You have died.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Asiina posted:

Also my favourite bit of flavour was writing windy's descent into madness as he got repeatedly roleblocked and then died.

That's about right with how I felt about this game...

Though really, you did a terrific job of moderating. The rest is the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

King Burgundy posted:

From reading the scum doc though, I got the feeling you legit thought Tugboat was valid battleship thing though. But fair enough. Pretty much everyone else was on the same page, so maybe you are right.

I will say, that once you started the hardcore RP stuff later in the game it was really awesome and I was glad you were doing it either way.
Dhaes is a battleship pro! He knows all the battleships!

• Locked thread