Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

if you find yourself cropping those 16mm shots a lot to something like 35mm, then yes. if not, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

if you find yourself cropping those 16mm shots a lot to something like 35mm, then yes. if not, no.

That’s a good way to think about it. Thanks

And I have several other lenses higher than my 50 too

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

My workflow from camera to instagram is annoying. What's a better way?

• Take photo (using RAW)
  • Edit photo in Lightroom as needed, export to JPG on my hard drive
  • Upload photo to Google Photos (I have a Google One subscription with 2TB hard drive space, and I like G Photos for albums and sharing with friends/family)
  • Open iPhone, go to Google Photos and find picture, hit Share to Instagram. Issue here is that I can't share more than one at a time; I can only do that if I save the photo to my iPhone camera roll.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

blue squares posted:

• Take photo (using RAW)
  • Upload photo to Google Photos (I have a Google One subscription with 2TB hard drive space, and I like G Photos for albums and sharing with friends/family)
  • Open iPhone, go to Google Photos and find picture, hit Share to Instagram. Issue here is that I can't share more than one at a time; I can only do that if I save the photo to my iPhone camera roll.

https://mastering-lightroom.com/instagram-lightroom-mobile/

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Instagram no longer blocks you uploading from a web browser directly with a local file on a computer.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Oh, perfect! Thank you

I also played around with my camera's settings and connected it to my iphone, where I could import a raw, touch it up in Lightroom Mobile, and then send it to Instragram. Good enough for a social media picture my 40 friends and family will see once (if that). For more important photos or prints, I just need it on my desktop anyway.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 14, 2023

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

you can just upload to instagram on desktop

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

blue squares posted:

• Take photo (using RAW)

e:f;b

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Just shoot perfect jpgs :smug:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Just shoot Fuji jpgs :smug:

Updated, etc

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Just don't use Instagram. It sucks.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Just don't use Instagram. It sucks.

I want to share my photos with the people in my life and thats where they will see them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Love it or hate it (mostly hate it), Instagram is still the best way to find new work from your favorite photographers.

Nothing else has caught on and any app that's tried has crashed and burned.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I don't share my hobby with friends except in person, but to be honest I think barely any of them even still use Instagram.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Any thoughts on either the Sony 2x or 1.4x teleconverters for the FE 70-200mm GM II? It has a consistent f2.8 and right now feels pretty light and balanced doing hand held, so I thought that could be workable to have a general wildlife option even after losing some stops. I'm not finding enough info online about these specific combos and there are a few out there yelling that you should never use a TC.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
If I have the following setup:

Lightroom - used to import photos from Fujifilm X100V, entire library stored in cloud (i.e. minimal local storage besides external drive backup)
Lightroom Classic - used to import scans from SilverFast and process film negatives with Negative Lab Pro, library stored locally and backed up to drive

Is there a way to set it up such that I can see collections from Lightroom Classic in Lightroom? I'd like to be able to easily see my Lightroom Classic library on my mobile devices without having to export and then upload. But there's a pending sync in Lightroom Classic that I paused at some point in the past that looks like it's trying to sync my Lightroom library locally, which I don't want.

I guess what I'm asking for is a one-way sync from Lightroom Classic to Lightroom, but not the other way around. Doesn't seem like that's possible though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No, it's not possible for your lightroom mobile collections to not get synced to classic.

You can kinda do it the other way though, LR classic will only sync to the cloud the collections you have marked for cloud sync. Not what you want but it's all you can do.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

xzzy posted:

No, it's not possible for your lightroom mobile collections to not get synced to classic.

You can kinda do it the other way though, LR classic will only sync to the cloud the collections you have marked for cloud sync. Not what you want but it's all you can do.

That makes sense, thank you! Not what I wanted to hear but at least it’s in line with what I was piecing together from the crappy Google search results I found.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

blue squares posted:

I want to share my photos with the people in my life and thats where they will see them

this

instagram is fine for five minutes a day. I'd only waste them somewhere else, anyway. probably on here.

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Sorry, this no doubt has been asked before.

My lady friend wants to get into photography. So, she’s looking for a good entry level device. She would like to shoot stills, portraits, and also use the camera as a webcam for her live streaming. I know it’s possible, but I don’t know if there’s one in her range that can do stills and video admirably.

Her budget can go as high as 750 USD. Would be willing to spurge more on a lens to assist with this. Also, for her streaming setup, any good ideas for some light fixtures?

Thanks all!

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

Sorry, this no doubt has been asked before.

My lady friend wants to get into photography. So, she’s looking for a good entry level device. She would like to shoot stills, portraits, and also use the camera as a webcam for her live streaming. I know it’s possible, but I don’t know if there’s one in her range that can do stills and video admirably.

Her budget can go as high as 750 USD. Would be willing to spurge more on a lens to assist with this. Also, for her streaming setup, any good ideas for some light fixtures?

Thanks all!

The most important part of this equation is using the camera to do streaming live. Because then you are in the territory of needing clean HDMI output with/without autofocus and not all cameras do that and there are often caveats. If this a requirement then start with setups that do that part and then work backwards or your other requirements.

You also need a capture device and to think about microphones and audio sync etc.

OmegaFartHuffer
Feb 23, 2022
Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I don’t know if she necessarily wants to stream, primarily.

I’m looking for a really dependable point and shoot DSLR, and lens, that she can log around to events such as like boxing and MMA, which will take a good beefy lens I am sure. Her goal is to also use a tripod and the mic setup to conduct interviews at the gyms (so sound dampening would be good). Would one of those boom mics that stick to the bottom work?

Yes, I’m a noob.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

OmegaFartHuffer posted:

that she can log around to events such as like boxing and MMA, which will take a good beefy lens I am sure.

If she's actually planning to photograph the events, that kind of throws a spanner in the works. It pushes the requirements from "stills and portraits" to sports photography, which requires a more robust auto-focus and drive system.

The lens isn't the hard part though, it's just a factor of how far away you want to shoot from vs how much money you have to spend.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Indoor sports are really challenging for photography, the light in the venues is generally really bad and you often can't use a flash.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Living in Minnesota, home of 10,000 dimly lit municipal hockey rinks, I can confirm indoor lighting is challenging when shooting sports.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Brrrmph posted:

Living in Minnesota, home of 10,000 dimly lit municipal hockey rinks, I can confirm indoor lighting is challenging when shooting sports.

Any tips? My brother in law plays adult league and I was going to go to one of his games to practice, with the hopes that by the end I could share with him and his teammates any good photos that come out

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

blue squares posted:

Any tips? My brother in law plays adult league and I was going to go to one of his games to practice, with the hopes that by the end I could share with him and his teammates any good photos that come out

Get something with f2.8, crank the iso as much as you're comfortable and hope that's enough to get a nice short shutter speed. Maybe you can ask the front desk to turn on the bright lights, most of the places I've skated cut them to half power for beer league.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Flickr is useful for this sort of thing. Search what you are looking for and browse photos you think look good, most leave metadata on so you can see the lens, focal length, shutter speed and fstop used. (and spoiler, yes its almost all 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses at fast shutter counts and high isos)

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Yeah, all that. Only thing I’ll add is you can experiment with getting away with slower shutter speeds to save some ISO. Like maybe you can get some clean shots at 1/400 without going up to 1/1000. Or experiment with motion blur at even slower speeds. But I suggest setting your ISO to auto with the maximum you can tolerate and then set the shutter speed and aperture yourself.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Get something with f2.8, crank the iso as much as you're comfortable and hope that's enough to get a nice short shutter speed. Maybe you can ask the front desk to turn on the bright lights, most of the places I've skated cut them to half power for beer league.

Hmm.. I was going to use my new zoom lens that goes to 400mm but its only f8 at that focal length (the Canon RF 10-400 f5.6-f8). My alternative is my 100mm 2.8 lens, if I can get close enough

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If it's all you got go ahead and try it, you will probably be able to get a few images you like. Either way it's a good learning experience.

But 400mm is overkill at a hockey rink. Unless you want a picture of a player's nostrils 200mm is probably enough. You can even do good shots at 50mm assuming you're near the corners.

I guess 400mm might have use if the action is at the other end of the rink, but you'll be taking pictures of the offense's asses. Most people want pictures of the puck carrier so if they're attacking in your direction you'll get their faces, which is a big deal for sports photos.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

If it's all you got go ahead and try it, you will probably be able to get a few images you like. Either way it's a good learning experience.

But 400mm is overkill at a hockey rink. Unless you want a picture of a player's nostrils 200mm is probably enough. You can even do good shots at 50mm assuming you're near the corners.

I guess 400mm might have use if the action is at the other end of the rink, but you'll be taking pictures of the offense's asses. Most people want pictures of the puck carrier so if they're attacking in your direction you'll get their faces, which is a big deal for sports photos.

Okay, thanks! I'll bring my 50, 100, and 100-400. If I get anything good I'll post it ITT (maybe, I'm waiting for one of the games that starts earlier than 9pm, so it might be a few weeks)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Here’s photos I took years ago at a Panthers game with pretty much 50mm as my longest focal range and a seat in the 3rd row. Obviously better lighting but still, no access to the strobes in the roof the pros get. https://imgur.com/a/KnwGfo3

The only one I found online from a minor league arena, would’ve been a 50-150 in the front row but no strobes again. Didn’t realize until I got home I caught the puck in mid flight flying towards me, so always liked that one.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
You can also get cool shots in-between play. Not as exciting as the action, but still fun.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Is there one weird trick to being able to browse camera files efficiently? I have a ricoh gr3 and the screen is tiny so my poo poo eyes can't do much with that screen.

I can connect it wirelessly to my phone, but that screen isn't much bigger and it is slooow to load each file.

I can connect it with a usb cable to my laptop but again it is sloooow. The file listing (about 800 photos right now) takes minutes to pull up and if I turn on thumbnails forget about it. I have tried taking the SD card out and using a reader connected to the laptop but the speed isn't much better.

What is the limiting factor here? I admit the card and reader I have are both quite old. The card is a Sony "SF-64UY" which is apparently a class 10 UHS card. Whatever that means.

If I need to buy a faster SD card or a faster reader I am happy to do it.

Also, even though the camera screen is tiny, it would be neat if I could mark or tag photos which seem interesting so that when I have the card on the computer I could just transfer or look at those. But I can't find any sort of feature like that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Yes, get a faster SD card. They're pretty cheap. Does your computer have a USB 3.0 port? If not that will be somewhat limiting, I think, but according to the first result of Google "USB 2.0 offers a transfer rate of about 480 Mbps, whereas USB 3.0 offers a transfer rate of about 4,800 Mbps" and 480 Mbps is still really fast compared to your current 10mbps limit on your card. I recommend not bothering with marking photos on your camera to keep. Just dump everything and do it on your computer. It will be much faster

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Most cameras have a review option to star photos easily so they can be looked at after import with a filter.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It depends on the camera. My canon has usb-c and I can browse images pretty quickly when I plug it into my ipad. I assume other brands are similar.. just depends on how fast your SD card and usb connection are. You can try upgrading to a higher class card and see if it helps, but be warned it's a goddamn minefield of symbols:

https://www.kingston.com/en/blog/personal-storage/memory-card-speed-classes

Most brands have a rate picture function, I know canon sony fuji and nikon have it.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

I've always just found it easier and faster to throw copy everything on the computer and view/cull from there.

You can then just reformat the card in camera which reduces the risk of file corruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Mega Comrade posted:

I've always just found it easier and faster to throw copy everything on the computer and view/cull from there.

You can then just reformat the card in camera which reduces the risk of file corruption.

That is what I used to do but I am on vacay and just have a chromebook, it doesn't have the disk space to copy photos to.

Also I figured in TYOOL 2023 that browsing from the camera or card wouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, I am going to buy a fancy card reader and v90 sd card when I get home. It surely couldn't be any worse.