Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i haven't injured anyone yet, but i figure it's only a matter of time and that's with me being as considerate and careful as i possibly can be. sorry to do this to you yuns, but in all your years how many guys have you accidentally done some damage to in training?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I've probably injured people because I'm a dumbass whitebelt who forgets to breath and I spaz like a fish out of water. Your insurance rates go up when you roll with me.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

CommonShore posted:

Sorry to hear that, Yuns. I think you haven't gotten a response because there's nothing that any of us can say to you that you don't already know about jits - but I've injured people before, and even though we have informed consent and the assumption of risk in the sport, it doesn't stop us from feeling lovely when we do it.

That you feel lovely about it is probably a good sign about your character.
I appreciate it. I'm ok with the lack of response; I was mostly venting about it.

Marching Powder posted:

i haven't injured anyone yet, but i figure it's only a matter of time and that's with me being as considerate and careful as i possibly can be. sorry to do this to you yuns, but in all your years how many guys have you accidentally done some damage to in training?
In a little over 13 years, I've broken a foot and very slightly injured a couple of knees and maybe 2 or 3 shoulders (slight strains). This is the first time I've hyperextended an arm.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 21, 2018

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

willie_dee posted:

Sorry to hear that. My Dr recommended keeping active when I had a slight slipped disc, I took some roids and used the time to get my deadlift up. I dont know if slipped is the same as ruptured.

Lol wtf

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Neat. My new gym has a 4 stripe puple belt who is also an American. I won't be the lone foreigner at the gym.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Yuns posted:

I appreciate it. I'm ok with the lack of response; I was mostly venting about it.
In a little over 13 years, I've broken a foot and very slightly injured a couple of knees and maybe 2 or 3 shoulders (slight strains). This is the first time I've hyperextended an arm.

You're a good training partner. That's almost unbelievable that you can count the damage on one hand. I'll try and match that record.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've put some people to sleep but to my knowledge never done any joint damage. I'm pretty conservative about that stuff though and have probably lost a lot of possible submissions being too nice.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Worst I've done to someone else so far (touch wood) is a bloody nose maybe.

The damage I've done to myself on the other hand :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I had a purple belt not tap to the venerable "You just crossed your feet while on my back" lock, while I had a grip on both of his arms. I didn't jam it on either, I just slowly leveraged downward waiting for him to tap and he just didn't until two or three pops and a "AH gently caress!" later we where helping him off the mat. I felt real lovely even though, I was told not to take it hard because I did it with control and while maybe I should have considered letting the attack go once it started to look gross and he still wasn't tapping it was up to him to tap, especially as a dude whose done this for multiple years.

edit: I've since started being really conservative with that lock as I have kinda realized that much like with Slicers, people don't respect the attack so they're more liable to "tough it out" until their ankles break. So I tend to lace my legs over if its available and if it seems like they're gonna fight anyway, I tap and reset.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 21, 2018

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I love this dumb sport so much. Even after 13 years I learn new stuff all the time since the sport is ever evolving. John is back from Asia and he went over a traditional submission but he's retooled the technique and finishing mechanics. I thought I knew it well but the new variant is so good. Sorry for not disclosing details but it's John prerogative to release it in his materials.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Defenestrategy posted:

I had a purple belt not tap to the venerable "You just crossed your feet while on my back" lock, while I had a grip on both of his arms. I didn't jam it on either, I just slowly leveraged downward waiting for him to tap and he just didn't until two or three pops and a "AH gently caress!" later we where helping him off the mat. I felt real lovely even though, I was told not to take it hard because I did it with control and while maybe I should have considered letting the attack go once it started to look gross and he still wasn't tapping it was up to him to tap, especially as a dude whose done this for multiple years.

edit: I've since started being really conservative with that lock as I have kinda realized that much like with Slicers, people don't respect the attack so they're more liable to "tough it out" until their ankles break.

What belt color are you?

I still struggle a bit with all of it. Like, you guys have helped me realize the importance of not going whole hogg on a dingus who refuses to tap. Like, if I know I have it in I will let go even if there is not a tap now. However, there are holds I still don't quite get the "feel" for and I definitely worry about hurting a dude who won't/doesn't know when to tap

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What belt color are you?

I still struggle a bit with all of it. Like, you guys have helped me realize the importance of not going whole hogg on a dingus who refuses to tap. Like, if I know I have it in I will let go even if there is not a tap now. However, there are holds I still don't quite get the "feel" for and I definitely worry about hurting a dude who won't/doesn't know when to tap

Grappling for four years, currently a blue, will probably get my purple sometime between tomorrow and six months from now.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Defenestrategy posted:

Grappling for four years, currently a blue, will probably get my purple sometime between tomorrow and six months from now.

I wonder if it was one of those ego things where he didn't want to tap to a lower belt

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wonder if it was one of those ego things where he didn't want to tap to a lower belt

I really think it's more that the "You crossed your ankles" lock doesn't garner a lot of respect from people who haven't been shown the attack before and I know I'm the only one who ever uses that defense at my gym. It also doesn't help that I'm extremely strong and flexible in the hips so I can probably crank the submission farther than a lot of people.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, I have never been in that move before but I definitely know "cross your ankles in back mount and your opponent can break them"

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

As a big dude Im actually afraid that I am going to hurt someone inadvertently. Ive struggled with this as a white belt. My coach eventually had to tell me this is Jiu Jitsu and people are going to have to just get used to the fact that bigger people are going to smash them. Now I dont mind actually using my weight even on people that are lighter than me. The people that are much smaller (like some of the women in the gym), I just go light with.

Yuns posted:

I love this dumb sport so much. Even after 13 years I learn new stuff all the time since the sport is ever evolving. John is back from Asia and he went over a traditional submission but he's retooled the technique and finishing mechanics. I thought I knew it well but the new variant is so good. Sorry for not disclosing details but it's John prerogative to release it in his materials.

When I listen to Jon explain a technique I feel like a master surgeon is explaining a very complicated surgical process and I am a first year resident just trying to follow along.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The worst I've ever injured someone personally is a broken sinus, which I posted about it when it happened. It has since become a joke between me and the training partner who I injured. Last night I caught one of our black belts in my bicep slicer sequence and he refused to tap - he got out, but I'm pretty sure his elbow is going to be a bit sore today. (I could tell it wasn't perfect, but it was still enough that I could feel the pressure in my own wrist as I was crushing his arm). I was having visions of this discussion as I squeezed it, right until he dropped a shin on my face.

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

As a big dude Im actually afraid that I am going to hurt someone inadvertently. Ive struggled with this as a white belt. My coach eventually had to tell me this is Jiu Jitsu and people are going to have to just get used to the fact that bigger people are going to smash them. Now I dont mind actually using my weight even on people that are lighter than me. The people that are much smaller (like some of the women in the gym), I just go light with.

When I listen to Jon explain a technique I feel like a master surgeon is explaining a very complicated surgical process and I am a first year resident just trying to follow along.

I regularly have to tell big guys that "stopping big guys from big guying me is what I'm trying to practice."

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Defenestrategy posted:

edit: I've since started being really conservative with that lock as I have kinda realized that much like with Slicers, people don't respect the attack so they're more liable to "tough it out" until their ankles break. So I tend to lace my legs over if its available and if it seems like they're gonna fight anyway, I tap and reset.

Some people are too tough for their own good.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

hey everyone have a free seminar from the club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQPDSP-dlc

i've recently started rolling again, and i'd like to thank you personally for allowing me to catch a big 4 stripe white belt in the (hip?) lock at the 27 minute mark. the look on his face was priceless. and he insisted i teach him it. i had to come home and watch it again so i don't gently caress up passing it on but i think a few guys at the gym will have a field day with it. great seminar.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

Danaher "Secrets of the Americana DVD" confirmed!

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Danaher "Secrets of the Americana DVD" confirmed!

i reflexively threw all the money in my wallet at the screen

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Marching Powder posted:

i've recently started rolling again, and i'd like to thank you personally for allowing me to catch a big 4 stripe white belt in the (hip?) lock at the 27 minute mark. the look on his face was priceless. and he insisted i teach him it. i had to come home and watch it again so i don't gently caress up passing it on but i think a few guys at the gym will have a field day with it. great seminar.

hell yeah

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In case anyone wanted a new gi, Hypnotik are doing a "Buy 1 get 1 free" Black Friday deal.

https://www.hypnotik.com

They're the ones who did that Megaman themed gi in coordination with Capcom.

https://www.hypnotik.com/collections/limited-edition-jiu-jitsu-gis/products/project-002-x-capcom-mega-man-blue-bomber-bjj-gi

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

11 years of training and I've hurt a shoulder with a kimura, a foot with an ankle lock, and put someone to sleep in a triangle. I have had my meniscus sprained due to a heel hook, and I've gotten my other knee tweaked in a toehold.

In competition, I've dislocated my ankle, and had my elbow tweaked in an armbar.

Add probably a handful of finger issues (around 10 or so), both give and take, during rolling that are no one's fault.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

i reflexively threw all the money in my wallet at the screen

a well drilled technique

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Danaher interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_cH9A-XWtg

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Gonna post this one more time for NYC grapplefolks: if you're around this Saturday come hang out with me and butros and learn 2 kneebar https://www.facebook.com/events/293580974592020/

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Johnny always in a rash freaks me out

Why did the people cross his feet FFS? I know it's ok to do if you have your feet high up enough on the body. Guess that wasn't the case here

Split my eyebrow open pretty badly last night while in someone's closed guard. He sat up as I brought my head down, nasty clash for me (he seemed fine)

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

First no gi session in over a month. I got destroyed. I somehow chose to roll with every person who resembled the Hulk today.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The new Lachlan Giles DVD looks fuckin lit

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I bought it already because I have poor impulse control AMA

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

I had a really satisfying DVD related moment recently. I've had less time to train lately and so have been watching some instructional vids to try to keep my head in the game a bit. One I've spent a lot of time going through is Vagner's 50/50 of the Arms.

On Wednesday I made it to class and hit a series Vagner shows (kimura from bottom half -> sweep to 50/50 of the arms -> transition to the back). By the time I got to the back I had forgotten the details of some of the finishes he shows and instead of panicking and trying to force something I could only half-remember, I just went with my go-to armbar off the kimura grip.

It was a real good feeling to A) have retained some information of the video and be able to put it into practice in a live rolling scenario without having had a chance to drill it, and B) to be able to weave it in and out of some of my other "normal" game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

40% off of everything at BJJFanatics for Black Friday, which puts the Danaher instructionals at $120/pop.

I'm thinking about buying one of them.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

I bought it already because I have poor impulse control AMA

46 bucks for 11 hours of Lachlan Giles half guard, that's not even a little bit resistable.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Postess with the Mostest posted:

46 bucks for 11 hours of Lachlan Giles half guard, that's not even a little bit resistable.

Yah

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

40% off of everything at BJJFanatics for Black Friday, which puts the Danaher instructionals at $120/pop.

If I had reliable income I *might* go for it because I really want it.

But for the time being, that money will get me a full month of training instead.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

drat. Might have to splurge on that back control...

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
Is there a “I know you’re bad at every position. I’ll drag you through kicking and screaming” video?

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

debating hard on whether to sign up for a competition next weekend

I've never competed before, and I'm a one stripe whitebelt, hmmmm decisions decisions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

surivdaoreht posted:

debating hard on whether to sign up for a competition next weekend

I've never competed before, and I'm a one stripe whitebelt, hmmmm decisions decisions

Do it. Closest anyone will be to your skill level and a great learning experience no matter what.