Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

this poo poo sucks. like pleads says the visor is best for pucks down low. this introduces fog while fixing nothing.

I love when I can skate with a visor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
A dude on my team wears a hybrid cage with the visor removed, which does seem like it would protect from most errant sticks/pucks but...I dunno. Also he is old and weird.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Well xzzy, I felt like our line played pretty well today.

I want that one I put through the crease back though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It was just nice to be in a game where I'm not lagging behind people vastly faster and more experienced. Having an extra second to look around and read what's going just feels good.

Now if only I didn't still suck.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I'd say the splitting of divisions worked out nicely. It's giving people more puck time when they normally wouldn't get any.

Hell, I normally don't get multiple shots off in a game.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Hockles posted:

I've been using a cage for 20+ years. I don't notice the bars. I enjoy the face protection.

I've been playing for a little over 5 years now and I'm finally used to the cage in my vision. Those first couple games were so weird.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I am 100% of the opinion that once you are accustomed to a cage, you don't even notice it (especially with the varies profiles/colors available now). It boggles me that some beer league players of all people - ie: at a level where, even if it were a hindrance,it would least affect performance, and where players have the least amount of control - opt to play with mostly unprotected faces.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I feel like I notice the cage the moment I put my helmet on but you get used to it after a few minutes. In all honesty you should be practicing your stick handling by feel so that you don't have to look down at the puck in the first place.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I see the cage all the time, but I just don't care because I enjoy having teeth and eyeballs.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
I've haven't been playing long at all and I never noticed the cage. Keep your mind in the game and you don't notice gear. The only time it bugs me is when I'm pulling out my mouth guard on the bench and putting it back in. I'll be getting a smaller guard though hopefully that will solve that inconvenience.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

bigbillystyle posted:

I wear glasses too so I never really considered ditching the cage

Y'know, this was something I was actually wondering about recently as a semi-old never-ever who's looking into, at the least, getting into stick'n'puck and eventually drop-ins sometime down the line (not any time soon, though). I wear glasses for distance and could probably play without them but it would be more-awesome if I could keep em on - can you really get them on under there comfortably enough? The last poo poo CCM helmet I tried on there was no waaaay I could get glasses under there.

Tips/ideas/suggestion?

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

Nitramster posted:

I've haven't been playing long at all and I never noticed the cage. Keep your mind in the game and you don't notice gear. The only time it bugs me is when I'm pulling out my mouth guard on the bench and putting it back in. I'll be getting a smaller guard though hopefully that will solve that inconvenience.

Similar to this is when I want to get a drink of water. I would get a squirt bottle but wet wheels don't mix well with sport court.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I wear glasses in hockey just fine, I don't notice any tightness at all where the helmet presses into my head. They don't fog up that bad either, as long as I stay moving they stay clear.

The biggest issue is if sweat gets into my eyes.. I can't just squirt water on my face because that will really gently caress up my ability to see with big drops stuck to the lenses. Fortunately that doesn't happen to often anymore. I got it a lot early on, and then it just stopped. I have no idea why.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Habibi posted:

I am 100% of the opinion that once you are accustomed to a cage, you don't even notice it (especially with the varies profiles/colors available now). It boggles me that some beer league players of all people - ie: at a level where, even if it were a hindrance,it would least affect performance, and where players have the least amount of control - opt to play with mostly unprotected faces.

I felt this way for the 20 years I skated with a cage then I took it off. It makes a difference for me.

I still use it in anything competitive but it is an absolute joy to skate without one.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
I notice the cage out of peripheral vision, but I've trained my eyes and brain to see and read the puck and play in square quadrants.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah, tinted visor's are vastly superior, especially when trying to find the puck at your feet. However, I still wear a cage in anything competitive because I don't want to mess up my beautiful face. Also, I'm short, so I constantly get sticks/elbows in the face.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

what the gently caress nonsense are you talking about bootcha

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

lazerwolf posted:

Similar to this is when I want to get a drink of water. I would get a squirt bottle but wet wheels don't mix well with sport court.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

xzzy posted:

I wear glasses in hockey just fine, I don't notice any tightness at all where the helmet presses into my head. They don't fog up that bad either, as long as I stay moving they stay clear.

The biggest issue is if sweat gets into my eyes.. I can't just squirt water on my face because that will really gently caress up my ability to see with big drops stuck to the lenses. Fortunately that doesn't happen to often anymore. I got it a lot early on, and then it just stopped. I have no idea why.

Cool - and I'm due for another pair of glasses but my current spectacles are still in p good shape so I could just demote those to hockey-related-times and not feel too bad if they get beat up.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

what the gently caress nonsense are you talking about bootcha

Consider it a weird goalie thing. If the puck's at such and such a distance, I look through these cage squares. If it's at my feet, these squares.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Duke Chin posted:

Cool - and I'm due for another pair of glasses but my current spectacles are still in p good shape so I could just demote those to hockey-related-times and not feel too bad if they get beat up.

I don't have any problems with the glasses under the helmet. I've worn glasses almost my entire playing career and at least the entirety of my full contact full checking hockey days and have only had one pair actually break while I was on the ice and it was during a no-check pickup. I got bumped into by a dude and his shoulder hit my helmet and my glasses just snapped at the nose when they got flexed a little bit but they were seriously old frames so I just chalk it up to them being down to their last legs.

To get a helmet on I just kinda pull the sides out a little bit as I'm putting on my head and adjust my specs if necessary. Oh and I do keep a set of older glasses that I wear just for hockey/work/snowboarding/anything else that I do that could possibly break them so I'm not out a good pair.

I never went the route of trying rain-x or any of that poo poo trying to keep them from fogging. Just like xzzy posted even if they fog, once you get off the bench and get moving again they un-fog themselves pretty quickly. That's about all I can think of as far as glasses and hockey goes.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I wore glasses for one stick time and it was literally the worst thing in the world.

Get LASIK you cavemen.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Get LASIK you cavemen.

They're not bad enough. I'm just... old. :corsair::negative:

(didn't wear glasses till around 29-30 yrs old and see fine inside of ~12 feet or so - everything past that starts getting fuzzier and fuzzier or the threshold starts coming in the more tired I get).

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
those under armour skull caps are really good for keeping sweat out of your eyes.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bootcha posted:

Consider it a weird goalie thing. If the puck's at such and such a distance, I look through these cage squares. If it's at my feet, these squares.

:stare:

We all know goalies are weird, but...

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

i'll wait for the more accomplished goalie of the thread bradford to chime in but i have a feeling it's complete nonsense.

trying to play hockey like he's scanning quadrants as a computer playing battleship or whatever

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sellouts posted:

i'll wait for the more accomplished goalie of the thread bradford to chime in but i have a feeling it's complete nonsense.

trying to play hockey like he's scanning quadrants as a computer playing battleship or whatever

I never said it made sense. This is how my damaged brain functions.

Bootcha fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Feb 3, 2015

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Do you have a GUI that assesses threat level based on who is carrying the puck?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

prom candy posted:

Do you have a GUI that assesses threat level based on who is carrying the puck?

I was trying to find a Terminator-type screen for this exact joke...

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
puck is entering quadrant b5, reroute the blocker

drats, you've sunk my goalie

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Bootcha posted:

The gently caress are you talking about?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat, the ol slapshot on shootout attempt did not work this week. Fired it right into his leg.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Bootcha posted:

I never said it made sense. This is how my damaged brain functions.

Puck to H5.

You scored on my five hole!

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

drat, the ol slapshot on shootout attempt did not work this week. Fired it right into his leg.

I had the best snipe of my life in a shootout on Saturday. I think it's the first time I ever shot a puck and thought, "wow that went really fast."

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Goalie last night had a unique Captain Morgan style of going/staying down that really maximized the 5 hole.

...I still didn't manage to score on him. :negative:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

I had the best snipe of my life in a shootout on Saturday. I think it's the first time I ever shot a puck and thought, "wow that went really fast."

Those are both the best and the worst, because you can only replicate them by accident.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Crossposting from N/V

bewbies posted:

I wrote this whole post earlier and then IE crashed an I lost it so gently caress you I wrote it all again. I'm sure a lot of you won't find this terribly interesting but I did.

Last weeked I was lucky enough to find myself seated at the bar next to a "skating consultant". His job consists of going around to pro hockey teams and getting paid gobs of money to coach/advise their players on their skating. He started as a college player, got hurt, coached for a while, got his PhD in kinesiology, became a skating coach, did that for years, then quit the full time gig to just be a consultant. I was the obnoxious guy who asks him all sorts of questions that he probably has to answer every day except I wasn't paying him. So, here's the most interesting stuff he said.

The three best skaters in the history of the game are, unsurprisingly, Orr, Coffey and Bure. They shared two interesting characteristics as skaters. First, they started their strides with their outside edges and then rotated their skates to the inside edges through their stride. This was a big driver in their speed/acceleration. Second, all three of them did a similar thing regarding their equipment:

All three tightly bound their skates to their lower legs with tape. This eliminated some flexbility in the ankle which delivered more strength to the ice, but it put serious strain on their knees/hips. He was convinced that Bure and Orr's knee problems were caused/exacerbated by the massive strength in their thighs putting insane amounts of lateral pressure on the knee because the ankle was unable to act as a sort of shock absorber. This meant that, 1) any contact to the leg went straight to the knee, and 2) repetitive motion of skating put more pressure on the knee than was normal. He thought Coffey was an exception because he was a "freak of nature" whose joints didn't work like the rest of us, which is why he was able to get away with having the tightest skates of all time and the tapiest ankles of all time. He offered Gaborik as a more modern example and speculated a lot of his hip issues stemmed from the same practice:

I can only think of one NHL player who tapes like that nowadays and it is Assbag Keith, who I believe has fairly recently switched to a much more flexible pair of skates:

He's a pretty awesome skater in his own right and as far as I know hasn't had any major issues with leg joints.

Anyway, he contrasted this practice with two other pretty good skaters whose skates are only sort of loosely attached to their person:

He's very much a fan of the latter style. He likes modern skates a lot, but thinks that they tend to make mediocre skaters better and great skaters worse. They also have a tendency to increase a skater's top speed while reducing agility and acceleration. The advice he gives most often to pros at all levels is to 1) loosen the laces and/or not lace the top eyelet, 2) go -1 on your boot stiffness and 3) use an old fashioned felt tongue. The objective being to give the ankle flexibility and necessary to get the toes back in play while simultaneously taking stress off the knee/hip.

I also asked him who the best skaters in the game were today. Ovechkin, by a mile. In terms of speed, acceleration, agility, and balance no one else is really close, though pre-injury Karlsson was in the vicinity. EK, Subban, Kesler, Kessel, and Mackinnon were his next tier, and after that there's a whole bunch of guys. Ovie, MSL, Crosby, and Thornton are the strongest guys on skates none of which is a huge surprise to me, but apparently none of them were as strong as Forsberg or Bourque. Chris Pronger and Luc Robitaille are the best players who were the worst skaters, and Ray Sheppard is the worst skater he's ever seen (including Hal Gill: I asked). Bobby Ryan currently holds that title in the NHL. Gretzky "did practically everything wrong but was still a great skater" and McDavid "scares me how good he already is".

I used to tape my skates like that in high school. Maybe I should do a hybrid of what he says, and leave 1 eyelet open, and tape it all up.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

I was about to just tell bewbies to cross post it here. Great poo poo.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Lately I've been tossing around the far fetched idea of taking up goalie so for shits sake at work I put together a discount set of goalie gear to see what it would take to feel comfortable stepping out in front of a slapshot.

It was something like $1600 for basic entry level ice gear. Nevermind.