Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Takoluka posted:

Way to miss out on those sweet, sweet gold coins.

I was about to say that I'm never going to get gold coins, until I realized that I bought Shovel Knight for 3DS when it was on sale and have 20 gold coins.

Wasn't New Super Luigi U supposed to be on sale? Or did I miss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Overclocked was my first MegaTen and it was a lot of fun despite my ineptitude at most SRPGs.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I've only played SMT IV but it was so good I could no longer play Pokemon.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

In Training posted:

There's a mobile f2p version of Bomberman I think.

It's a crudely designed Bejeweled clone. Konami didn't even give enough of a poo poo to try using Panic Bomber or something.
They also advertised it with the troll face meme on September 11th so I'm half convinced they're actively trying to piss everyone off.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Atlus was nice enough to announce that the River City kunio game is in fact coming to America this summer.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SilverSupernova posted:

They also advertised it with the troll face meme on September 11th so I'm half convinced they're actively trying to piss everyone off.

Haha is there a picture of this

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

In Training posted:

Haha is there a picture of this

Found it, but it's showing September 12th for me.
https://twitter.com/konami/status/510515443140792320

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Found it, but it's showing September 12th for me.
https://twitter.com/konami/status/510515443140792320

Yeah I guess it was the 12th.
Though posting that less than a day after is still pretty bad timing.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

SilverSupernova posted:

Yeah I guess it was the 12th.
Though posting that less than a day after is still pretty bad timing.

I mean, using Bomberman for that kind of game and advertising it with a 4chan meme are both travesties in themselves.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Fremry posted:

I mean, using Bomberman for that kind of game and advertising it with a 4chan meme are both travesties in themselves.

Well those are givens.

Having a video game character whose best know for blowing poo poo up making a "Haha! gently caress you!" face the day after the anniversary of a terrorist attack which this country still considers a sensitive issue is just icing on the cake which only Konami could accomplish.

Also they gave Bomberman a mouth and that's just wrong.

SilverSupernova fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 21, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So I picked up New Super Mario Bros (the original DS one) on the Wii U VC.

Why didn't anyone tell me this game was also the testbed for those weird stylus minigames that every DS game had to have? Sure a lot of them seem terrible (although the one that's basically Fire but updated to 21st century sensibilities seems OK in a Game and Watch way), but there's a fully-functional (if rather minimal) poker minigame. I loving love poker minigames in games...in Dragon Quest V DS I might have spent 4-5 hours just playing poker.

This $10 purchase was just justified and I haven't even started the actual game. I can now absentmindedly play poker with Luigi on my gamepad while I do other things. Games that I don't have to pay attention to and can do while multitasking on actual real responsibilities are useful for me as a brain break.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Why didn't anyone tell me this game was also the testbed for those weird stylus minigames that every DS game had to have? Sure a lot of them seem terrible (although the one that's basically Fire but updated to 21st century sensibilities seems OK in a Game and Watch way), but there's a fully-functional (if rather minimal) poker minigame. I loving love poker minigames in games...in Dragon Quest V DS I might have spent 4-5 hours just playing poker.

This $10 purchase was just justified and I haven't even started the actual game. I can now absentmindedly play poker with Luigi on my gamepad while I do other things. Games that I don't have to pay attention to and can do while multitasking on actual real responsibilities are useful for me as a brain break.

They actually came bundled with Super Mario 64 DS previously, which mighta been a launch title for the DS? But yea they're alright. I always thought those minigames would be a good starting point for Nintendo's mobile push, in how you can make Nintendo characters work with simple controls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

MinibarMatchman posted:

Atlus was nice enough to announce that the River City kunio game is in fact coming to America this summer.

It was Natsume and it's probably not the one people were hoping for (ie it's one of the hundred older 3DS games and not the newest one).

Patter Song posted:

I haven't played either game in forever but I think those minigames are literally the exact same ones from Super Mario 64 DS.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I haven't played either game in forever but I think those minigames are literally the exact same ones from Super Mario 64 DS.

Yep. You could even play multiplayer between them.

Similarly, the GBA Super Mario Advance remakes had a version of the arcade Mario Bros that could do multiplayer with each other.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Pocket Card Jockey is spectacular. Got about 2hrs out of the demo and I'll be buying the game instantly

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
How is Metroid Fusion? I'm considering it since it'll be a MyNintendo freebie. Or would it be better to hold onto my butt until August and see what gets swapped in?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Metroid Fusion is one of the best games on the GBA, but I can't speak for the quality of the VC release, someone else'd have to do that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Szmitten posted:

How is Metroid Fusion? I'm considering it since it'll be a MyNintendo freebie. Or would it be better to hold onto my butt until August and see what gets swapped in?

It's a great game even I'm not the biggest fan of its structure compared to other Metroid titles. Good introduction to the series though if you haven't touched any of them before.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fusion has a weird split personality where it's the most rigidly structured 2D Metroid game but at the same time the first one (I think) where they added deliberate sequence breaks. It's still a really great game though and not being quite as good as Super or Zero Mission is by no means a knock on it.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Why in the world do you have to have the NEW 3DS to play Super Nintendo games? I was super excited when I saw Link to the Past and Super Metroid on the eShop.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Why in the world do you have to have the NEW 3DS to play Super Nintendo games? I was super excited when I saw Link to the Past and Super Metroid on the eShop.

Nintendo demands very high standards out of it's emulation, and as such their emulator requires the better processor in the New in order to run.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The o3DS couldn't emulate GBA games properly.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Same. It really sucks

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

This is probably a really dumb question but how can that be, when they can run N64 games? I know the N64 games are ports so they aren't really emulated. Couldn't the PSP emulate SNES games pretty much perfectly?

Just seems like a bit of it is Apple-style forced obsolescence

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Supposedly the old 3DS isn't powerful enough emulate SNES games at the degree of accuracy Nintendo requires, or they just wanted another reason for people to buy the New. I can certainly believe the first one, it wasn't until relatively recently that accurate SNES emulators were viable on PC, ZSNES and SNES9x etc. basically cheated as much as they can because they were originally designed to be played on a 200mhz P2.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but how can that be, when they can run N64 games? I know the N64 games are ports so they aren't really emulated. Couldn't the PSP emulate SNES games pretty much perfectly?

Nah, the PSP emulators were similar to the early PC ones, they ran games well enough but they certainly weren't accurate. As you said the n64 games are ports, and much improved ones, which run under completely different rules to emulation.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 23, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fun fact, O3DS is severely underpowered compared to most modern electronics. It legit cannot handle SNES emulators properly.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Unrelated question, are eShop purchases tied to the device? I had bought some NES games and stuff on my old 3DS, and now on my 2DS I see that they are not listed in my redownloadable software. Same account.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rubiks Pubes posted:

You had it right at the beginning; the N64 ported games are ports specifically designed to run on the 3DS, whereas SNES games were designed to run on an SNES. I don't remember if it was in this thread or the 3DS thread, but right when SNES games were announced someone posted a breakdown of how emulation works and why its totally believable that SNES emulation wouldn't work well on an older 3DS.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Rubiks Pubes posted:

This is probably a really dumb question but how can that be, when they can run N64 games? I know the N64 games are ports so they aren't really emulated.

There you go. A port created to run natively on the target hardware and emulation are two completely different things.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Couldn't the PSP emulate SNES games pretty much perfectly?

Nope, not even close. This isn't about the PSP specifically but here's an article I like about how accurate emulation is actually pretty tough and processor intensive http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Unrelated question, are eShop purchases tied to the device? I had bought some NES games and stuff on my old 3DS, and now on my 2DS I see that they are not listed in my redownloadable software. Same account.

Did you do a system transfer yet? Your game licenses are tied to your NNID, but they get migrated to a new piece of hardware by the system transfer utility.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Technically no, they're tied to an account, however the account is tied to the console unless you do a system transfer or phone Nintendo to get them to transfer your account over.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Is it possible to do that if I don't have the old device?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Did you write the serial number down by any chance?

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

Negative.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Is it possible to do that if I don't have the old device?

You'll have to call Nintendo customer service. They can remotely do the transfer for you if you give them the serial numbers of both devices.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Welp

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I managed to transfer my NNID from an old Wii U without the serial number, so try calling Nintendo even if you don't have it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

It takes 3GHz to emulate the SNES with 100% accuracy: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Neither the o3DS or the N3DS have that much power, but the N3DS is noticeably more powerful than the o3DS and can run significantly more accurate SNES emulation as a result. The VC SNES emulator simply requires more accuracy (and thus more powerful hardware) than the o3DS can provide.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 23, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

People with homebrewed old 3DSes have tried to run SNES ROMs with hilariously unplayable results so Nintendo isn't being shifty this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

It takes 3GHz to emulate the SNES with 100% accuracy: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/

Neither the o3DS or the N3DS have that much power, but the N3DS is noticeably more powerful than the o3DS and can run significantly more accurate SNES emulation as a result. The VC SNES emulator simply requires more accuracy (and thus more powerful hardware) than the o3DS can provide.

Having access to the original source code and design documents so you know what's expected of what value and input, instead of having to guess at a black box, probably also helps.