Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

WhyteRyce posted:

Can someone who understands the intricacies of the the Baalkans give me an explanation
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5t8q46/mildly_interesting_fact_five_teams_with_the_worst/

Is it because they are very soft?

Paging SAS resident Eastern European politics expert Dejan Bimble to the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Doltos posted:

Oak showed up, probably was drunk, probably antagonized the gently caress out of Dolan and people around him, and I don't care. He's a franchise legend and arguably the third most famous Knick ever.

gently caress Dolan.

After Clyde and Ewing? I think Phil Jackson and Carmelo Anthony are certainly more famous, and Bill Bradley ran for president one time.

WhyteRyce posted:

Can someone who understands the intricacies of the the Baalkans give me an explanation
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/5t8q46/mildly_interesting_fact_five_teams_with_the_worst/

NO! actually they're awesome, and probably being sabotaged by jealous Americans

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DeimosRising posted:

After Clyde and Ewing? I think Phil Jackson and Carmelo Anthony are certainly more famous, and Bill Bradley ran for president one time.

Metapod asked me for my list in discord and I went Clyde - Ewing - Oak - Starks - Reed - Monroe - Bradley - Amare - Phil - Cartwright

Maybe Oak's not the most famous Knick but he's definitely one of the most popular we had

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

willis reed didn't walk through that tunnel for nothing

i always saw oak as ewing's sidekick and that's no insult

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey Oak, want to come to some Lakers games? You and Metta can hang out and tell stories about when the NBA used to allow fights

I do miss that era where Phil had a new Knicks legend in Lakers gear on the sideline roughly every other year.

The Glumslinger posted:

God, if they loving fire Jim and Mitch, and put Magic in at GM instead of Ryan West, that might just be enough to make me watch a few clippers games

I mean, probably not, but it would be depressing as poo poo

I would be pretty disappointed. Especially since the general thought is that Mitch might retire in a few years anyway and that Jerry West is "open" to helping Ryan out.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
KDs Simmons podcast was the softest of softballs

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The NBA should take the team from Dolan

This is evil poo poo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

The NBA should take the team from Dolan

This is evil poo poo

Impossible. He owns MSG.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Move the Knicks to Nassau, then.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Drunk Canuck posted:

Move the Knicks to Seattle, then.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

well the nfl had to intervene with the giants in the late 70's

C'MON SILVER IT'S MARKET NUMBER ONE

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Doltos posted:

Impossible. He owns MSG.

Oh

Welp hahah.

Ratzinc
Aug 14, 2004

MY BALLS ARE THE SIZE OF GRAPEFRUITS
From the stories posted here and elsewhere, Oakley has always seemed like a malcontent and a bully. He was getting pretty aggressive with Security and yeah, I probably would ban him too, to be honest.

Edit:

euphronius posted:

He looked defensive not agressive imho

I agree, that's a better word to use.

Ratzinc fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 11, 2017

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He looked defensive not agressive imho

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

euphronius posted:

Oh

Welp hahah.

Want an even worse reason? He owns Cablevision which is the main TV provider of the Knicks and also owns the MSG channel in which most New York sports are shown. He's one of the most valuable owners to the league and helped pull in that lucrative TV contract.

We can only hope Dolan gets into a car accident soon or something

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Paging SAS resident Eastern European politics expert Dejan Bimble to the thread

My first guess was that the poster is Serbian, but I think he's Croatian.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Oakley only looked aggressive because a group of security guards came up to him, encircled him, and told them he had to leave while putting their hands on him.

I mean, you see tons of people flip out once security guards start grabbing their arms or shoulders

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 11, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/830217884408242176

https://twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/830218106714746881

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

big boi posted:

Simmons' podcast with Durant is excellent.

He still should have gone to the Clippers

Durant is somehow a cool enough dude to overcome Bills overwhelming pissbaby aura.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Malcontents!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

WhyteRyce posted:

Croatia is a NATO puppet used to destroy Yugoslavia. It escaped most of the destruction of the Yugoslav war. Serbs grew up in a country that was bombed to smithereens by NATO. They are mentally stronger.

It's like a Draymond Green vs a James Michael McAdoo situation

jerk1000
Dec 3, 2014
Woj destroys Dolan:

http://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/830220963165851649

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Is anybody brave enough to tweet that Croatian softness stat at Zach Lowe?

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

This video brought a tear to my eye

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Henchman of Santa posted:

Is anybody brave enough to tweet that Croatian softness stat at Zach Lowe?

Hahahahhahahahahahaha! He'll just block them.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/830152465026785283

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Dejan Bimble posted:

Croatia is a NATO puppet used to destroy Yugoslavia. It escaped most of the destruction of the Yugoslav war. Serbs grew up in a country that was bombed to smithereens by NATO. They are mentally stronger.

They should allow Nurkic and Teletovic one flagrant foul a season on each Serbian player in the NBA as some kind of reparations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/IanBegley/status/830223157403348992

https://twitter.com/CharlesOakley34/status/830225048879366144

the appropriate use of SEE YOU IN COURT

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Clear defamation

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

euphronius posted:

Clear defamation

If it's false.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Frank Isola and other media members talked to him shortly after he was released. If he was wasted as Dolan so callously implied there is no way in hell he would have been released so soon.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

ChickenMedium posted:

They should allow Nurkic and Teletovic one flagrant foul a season on each Serbian player in the NBA as some kind of reparations.

The problem is that the war crimes (which are of a much smaller scale claimed during the war, which is typical of the r2p pattern) were committed by Bosnian Serb militias rather than units of the regular Serb army which maintained pretty strong military discipline throughout the wars although is innocent by no means. So attacking someone from Serbia proper would be attacking the wrong party.

Now if you proposed a player from Bosnia-Herzgovina of Serbian heritage be attacked, maybe you would have moral basis

The problem would mainly be that Bosnian players would all have permission to attach each other in response to ethnic cleansings and rapes. And each game might need a special period where Kosovar Albanians are hit by Serbs for mass rape, Kosovar Serbs are hit by Croats for village burnings, and so on.

But before I write 10 more paragraphs about this I recommend watching the weight of chains documentary about the yugoslav wars on youtube! It doesn't absolve anyone of their crimes during the war but shows the impetus of the war was NATO hope to break up Yugoslavia by saddling them with unpayable foreign dominated debt and then allowing Germany to establish hegemony over the former Yugoslav states, giving their telecom companies and mining companies monopolies over former state assets!

So in Conclusion, the NBA Balkan fight club would be a fractal of reprisals and probably look something like 1300 ad in real life Balkan.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 11, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

The problem is that the war crimes (which are of a much smaller scale claimed during the war, which is typical of the r2p pattern) were committed by Bosnian Serb militias rather than units of the regular Serb army which maintained pretty strong military discipline throughout the wars although is innocent by no means. So attacking someone from Serbia proper would be attacking the wrong party.

Now if you proposed a player from Bosnia-Herzgovina of Serbian heritage be attacked, maybe you would have moral basis

gently caress To Mladic

Bush Did Outer Heaven
Jan 18, 2005

The Sweetest Payne
coming up shortly on the world's best sports forum we've got a discussion of whether US-based private security companies training Croatian forces violated the UN arms embargo, and then an analysis of why James Dolan has ruined the Knicks and Kristaps Porzingis should play center.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

The problem would mainly be that Bosnian players would all have permission to attach each other in response to ethnic cleansings and rapes. And each game might need a special period where Kosovar Albanians are hit by Serbs for mass rape, Kosovar Serbs are hit by Croats for village burnings, and so on.

But before I write 10 more paragraphs about this I recommend watching the weight of chains documentary about the yugoslav wars on youtube! It doesn't absolve anyone of their crimes during the war but shows the impetus of the war was NATO hope to break up Yugoslavia by saddling them with unpayable foreign dominated debt and then allowing Germany to establish hegemony over the former Yugoslav states, giving their telecom companies and mining companies monopolies over former state assets!

So in Conclusion, the NBA Balkan fight club would be a fractal of reprisals and probably look something like 1300 ad in real life Balkan.

:crossarms:

C'mon Dejan...

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Jokić is fat.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Nurkić is also fat.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

Jokić is fat.

Skinnier than he's ever been!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dejan this is all very confusing so can you make a list indicating which Balkan player each Balkan player is allowed to punch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
drat, I make a joking reference to Serbian warcrimes and you come at me the ICTY going after Slobodan Milosevic!

• Locked thread