Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
OK so I love anchovies but seldom have them on hand. When I order pizza I also tend to accommodate the desires of those around me who will also eat the pizza. Adding anchovies to half a pizza means the whole pizza tastes like them. They're a potent additive some don't enjoy.

My pizza place used to let me order them on the side so I could add them as I desire.

Anchovies are a cured meat, no cooking required. No need to worry about cooking them.

The place I usually order from with good anchovies has decided that, despite the fact the anchovies they use have not changed at all, changed how you can order them.

It's like telling me I can't get a cup of extra pepperoncini's on the side. Just loving dumb.

EDIT: Also a bunch of other current reviews are just making GBS threads on this once good pizza place. They're overcooking etc. My anchovy issue is just one small issue among multiple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

OK so I love anchovies but seldom have them on hand. When I order pizza I also tend to accommodate the desires of those around me who will also eat the pizza. Adding anchovies to half a pizza means the whole pizza tastes like them. They're a potent additive some don't enjoy.

My pizza place used to let me order them on the side so I could add them as I desire.

Anchovies are a cured meat, no cooking required. No need to worry about cooking them.

The place I usually order from with good anchovies has decided that, despite the fact the anchovies they use have not changed at all, changed how you can order them.

It's like telling me I can't get a cup of extra pepperoncini's on the side. Just loving dumb.
I guess I get it but if they're uncooked anyway why wouldn't you just supply your own anchovies?

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

mystes posted:

I guess I get it but if they're uncooked anyway why wouldn't you just supply your own anchovies?

If i buy anchovies they're not going to last until I decide I want to order a pizza. I'm not going to buy 20 cans and hope I get gastronomically bored of them so I might have some leftover the next time I order a pizza.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Desert Bus posted:

I have a lot of Imposter Syndrome when it comes to cooking. I always think i'm gonna gently caress it up because I don't know how to make food. And i still do sometimes. This was a win and i'm gonna take it.

Yeah I get that, best solution is to just keep cooking. If you even halfway like it, most people will also for the vast majority of the time.

Potato salad is very forgiving and one of those things that you can adjust by taste as you put it together, which makes it a really nice recipe to "wing it" on most of the time. Just start with all the potatoes you're going to make and slowly add in stuff from there. Hardest thing to fix is adding too much mayo, salt or vinegar, so as long as you start light there the rest falls into place easily.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

If i buy anchovies they're not going to last until I decide I want to order a pizza. I'm not going to buy 20 cans and hope I get gastronomically bored of them so I might have some leftover the next time I order a pizza.

This I understand completely

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I'm at the point where I could manage a delicious American Thanksgiving dinner with all the sides that everyone would enjoy. So not super advanced but not bad at all?

mystes
May 31, 2006

If you can make food that tastes good that's all that's important

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Desert Bus posted:

I'm at the point where I could manage a delicious American Thanksgiving dinner with all the sides that everyone would enjoy. So not super advanced but not bad at all?

That's a completely solid and reasonable starting place.

I'd suggest just finding a few dishes you like from 1-2 cuisines and just have fun with it. You'll quickly find the things that work well vs the ones that aren't worth the trouble to get really good at, and maybe you try those down the line when you have some more confidence.

I live in a very rural spot, so I ended up spending the last few years learning / practicing indian and korean food because we love them and its impossible to get anywhere close by for example.

I cannot cook either of them super well but I am p close for a few dishes to anything I'd pay good money for.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Cooing is an art and if you wanna be an artist you need to be able to deal with loving up and learning from it.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

Cooing is an art

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't be uncooth

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Desert Bus posted:

Give all of your friends cans of anchovies and ask them to bring a can if they're coming to your place and ordering pizza.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Give all of your friends cans of anchovies and ask them to bring a can if they're coming to your place and ordering pizza.

Just give everyone cans of tinned fish for Christmas and then subtly as for the gifts back since they're not gonna use them...

You may be on to something here.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, I want to make some bean soup.

My usual process is basically Senate Bean Soup, although I tend to like a bit more intense flavor.

I once used smoked pork neck bones, which gave a great flavor, but also meant I had to spend way too much time picking chunks of bones out of the hot soup.

Any suggestions on either something with a similar flavor profile, or a way to use the smoked neck bones while not letting them fall apart/get mixed into the soup?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Just use bacon? A ham hock only has one bone also

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Annath posted:

So, I want to make some bean soup.

My usual process is basically Senate Bean Soup, although I tend to like a bit more intense flavor.

I once used smoked pork neck bones, which gave a great flavor, but also meant I had to spend way too much time picking chunks of bones out of the hot soup.

Any suggestions on either something with a similar flavor profile, or a way to use the smoked neck bones while not letting them fall apart/get mixed into the soup?

Wrap in cheesecloth, tie off with twine. If you really want to be fancy with it, tie the other end of the twine to the handle of a wooden spoon which you rest on top of the pot (with your bundle in the stew) to make later removal easier.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Soul Dentist posted:

Just use bacon? A ham hock only has one bone also

Bacon isn't a bad idea.

And I said I was using pork neck bones, not ham hocks. I simply referenced the Senate Bean Soup recipe for context, not because I was following it precisely.

I include carrots, some cayenne pepper, and a bit of cumin for example.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah I mentioned it because it was a good suggestion to reduce bone management. If you use bacon I'd recommend rendering the bejeezus out of it because gummy bacon is no good in soup

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I pressure cooked my smoked neck bones for like 10 min in the stock then picked the meat out and strained the stock, used the meat and stock in the beans.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I was given a sous vide machine to try out by a work friend, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to try. Steak is kind of the go-to, but my wife doesn't eat steak. I'm OK with making steak for myself, and so's my wife, but I'd like to get her input as well. It kind of feels like a waste to use with hamburgers. I've heard that it gets pretty good results with chicken. FWIW, I don't like soft boiled eggs, which I've herd this can be good for. Any other suggestions?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
custard, cheesecake, tuna, pork shoulder, ribs, pork loin, basically any seafood

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 7, 2024

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I was given a sous vide machine to try out by a work friend, but I'm kind of at a loss for what to try. Steak is kind of the go-to, but my wife doesn't eat steak. I'm OK with making steak for myself, and so's my wife, but I'd like to get her input as well. It kind of feels like a waste to use with hamburgers. I've heard that it gets pretty good results with chicken. FWIW, I don't like soft boiled eggs, which I've herd this can be good for. Any other suggestions?

Does she eat beef? 72-hour short ribs are still one of my go-to recipes. The sous vide turchetta is another.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It can also break down vegetable pectin without diluting the flavor - think steamed carrots but that taste 3x as carroty. I prefer seared veggies but if you are trying to mimic a $24 side dish this is the way. My kids like veggies without (Maillard) color so I've done it a few times.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pork tenderloin(NOT loin) is the under radar pick. I think they’re not popular because they’re super dry if you overlook them, but cooked properly to temp, loving delicious, and wayyyy cheaper than beef.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Pork tenderloin(NOT loin) is the under radar pick. I think they’re not popular because they’re super dry if you overlook them, but cooked properly to temp, loving delicious, and wayyyy cheaper than beef.
I think pork loin is good to sous vide too.

I've done sous-vide loin approximately using the recipe on the anova site and it came out great. I think I did 150 degrees and the seared it in a pan.

I think I also did one with barbecue sauce one time that was good too.

For tenderloin I usually brine it and then cook it other ways. Maybe I should try sous vide though.

Ribs come out really good if you sous vide them too.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 7, 2024

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

CzarChasm posted:

Any meat, it’s good for perfectly cooked rare steak, juicy chicken perfect every time, pork, fish, I’ve done pulled pork shoulder as well, it’s just great. Duck. Holy poo poo, duck. Prawns!

I’ve tried brussel sprouts and carrots, both excellent.

Any sort of egg yolk based thing. I make my hollandaise sauce and custard sous vide now. I know I don’t need to, but it’s very much bag it and forget it, and it’s literally perfect every time.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

OK so I used to use the liquid from jars of pickles/olives/peppers as an easy chaser for vodka. I stopped drinking too much. Y'all got any suggestions for random brine liquids that don't involve a handle of cheap vodka?

I'm slowly drinking them cause they're delicious but I also have way too much pepperoncini/olive/pickle liquid I don't want to waste.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You can use it to soak chicken in before breading and frying it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some pickle juice recipes:

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2021/apr/03/yasmin-khan-recipes-adana-kebabs-grilled-onion-pomegranate-salad (the onion salad recipe)

http://anglopolishsociety.org/polish-pickled-cucumber-soup-zupa-ogorkowa/ (there are lots of versions of this recipe around)

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/russian-black-bread-recipe (replace up to a quarter cup of the water with pickle juice)

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/caraway-rye-bread-recipe (replace water with pickle juice)

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/sandwich-rye-bread-recipe

TychoCelchuuu fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 8, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
east europe and east asia have dozens of pickle juice soups. solyanka, kimchiguk...

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://youtu.be/W3O0XEdj4t8

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Pickle hard boiled eggs. If you want to go a little extra, take a toothpick and poke some holes through the egg to get better saturation.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CzarChasm posted:

Pickle hard boiled eggs. If you want to go a little extra, take a toothpick and poke some holes through the egg to get better saturation.
And if you do this refrigerate the picked eggs.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I got gifted an entire pork loin because it was on sale and they know I love smoking meat, problem is that I absolutely hate the texture of pork loin. I think it'll be too lean to smoke it into a better texture, is it good for stew or chili or something else to make it feel less awful in my mouth?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
try jerky. especially ground meat jerky

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

I got gifted an entire pork loin because it was on sale and they know I love smoking meat, problem is that I absolutely hate the texture of pork loin. I think it'll be too lean to smoke it into a better texture, is it good for stew or chili or something else to make it feel less awful in my mouth?

Brine it and then do some sort of dry herb rub.

Or brine it and smoke it.

Pork loin needs a good brining process to not be awful imho

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I used to hate pork loin. It’s not my favorite now or anything, but if you haven’t had a thoroughly brined, smoked to 140f loin before, give it a shot. It is a waayyyy better experience than the lovely, dry, overcooked pork loin that usually gets made.

Fake edit, also, slice it thinner than most people do. Even when perfectly cooked, it’s a firm piece of meat. It should be closer to a thick slice of ham than a steak.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

I usually just eyeball a salt/honey/black pepper/rosemary overnight brine for pork loin, and then slow cook with a parsley/oregano/garlic/onion/etc rub. The side with the fat layer goes on top so it can help keep everything moist.

Once you get it right you'll be very happy.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ooo, I do love a good gin brine, but 140 seems a little low for pork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I like sous viding pork loin (to 150F)