Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Something something coronavirus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Doctor Nutt posted:

I still think Cumberbatch would have been a solid casting for Gary Mitchell. :sigh:

Yeah, it absolutely made sense too. In the TOS episode, they went to the edge of the galaxy. You know, into darkness.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My favorite part was when JJ flat-out lied to people about it

ugh.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

For all it's problems I flipped my poo poo when it was revealed that the dude was the loving Guardian of Forever! :monocle:

what, you mean good old Carl?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The best part about that were all of the "Shut the gently caress up, Jeffrey, we know it's Khan" articles that were published when they doubled down on the lie that he wasn't Khan.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

ashpanash posted:

That...has nothing to do with String Theory. String Theory is an attempt to put quantum field theory and general relativity in a unified geometrical framework.

...tying them together, so to speak

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I thought that was an alright finish to the two parter, but the whole time it was extremely obvious that they were intending to use this to write Georgiou out of this show.

also Michael doing a 2nd betrayal was very obvious from as soon as she comes to see Georgiou after she leaves the brig.

I was disappointed that we didn't end up with a Lorca cameo but I guess the actor was busy.

I'm still not entirely clear on whether or not Georgiou's actions changed the Mirror Universe. The implication is that she did change what happened, but we're not really going to get to find out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Barry Convex posted:

all the actors involved are doing what they can to make this Georgiou arc work but jfc you established in S1 that she was a genocidal dictator, don’t try to shove down my throat the notion that she’s a sympathetic antihero who deserves redemption

Well, yeah, but she's also basically the same person as prime Georgiou. If you happened to be born in the mirror universe you either become an rear end in a top hat or die a victim.

Can you really condemn a child raised by wolves for howling at the moon?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FlamingLiberal posted:

Well I thought that was an alright finish to the two parter, but the whole time it was extremely obvious that they were intending to use this to write Georgiou out of this show.

What gave it away? Saru, in part 1, saying, "I'm sure we'll never see each other again" or whatever the gently caress?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Zesty posted:

What gave it away? Saru, in part 1, saying, "I'm sure we'll never see each other again" or whatever the gently caress?
Yeah that was them hitting people over the head with what they were doing

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

It was fine, goodbye Mirror Universe.

But I kinda share the Admiral's frustration here. Get on with it, and stop your rogue Michael way of doing things

e. but the vapors off of using Emerald Chain tech, LMAO. Also, if Book is setting them up. I might actually throw something at the tv

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

pik_d posted:

I was dying faster than Michael when I saw that sword glitching through her body worse than poo poo I've seen in video games. How the hell does that make it through production?

Literally all post production was done from home this season. I’m cutting them some slack here.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So was Lorca off in the prime universe at this time or was it before then? I'm guessing maybe before. He finds out that Burnham died, and then goes into the prime universe to find the other Burnham. Then brings the prime Discovery back to the mirror universe to do that whole thing. Except now that universe has split off Kelvinverse style so I guess we'll never know.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So evil Detmer and Michael were a thing right? I guess that was alright, i didn't hate it, but I don't think it needed to be 2 episodes. Though I wish we got to see what Saru's barbs actually did to someone.

Though I guess it will be worth it in the long run if this means Michael becomes less of a lose cannon and actually part of the crew, but that would require the writers to realize Star Trek works best as an ensemble show.

Book is super into being useful.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Though I wish we got to see what Saru's barbs actually did to someone.

Didn't we see that in the second episode of this season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HD DAD posted:

Literally all post production was done from home this season. I’m cutting them some slack here.

It's not even that egregious; If you watch carefully it looks like the animator(s) caught the issue but just forgot to propagate the orientation change through the entire effect clip.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The episode's biggest mistake was not showing us what Mirror Jett Reno is like. She was even in the Prime part of the episode! I bet she's all bubbly and talks like this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think Tig Notaro only shows up for a few scenes, so she wouldn't have been around when filming the mirror stuff.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I really appreciate Reno's snack choices.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Incredibly stupid Mirror bullshit aside, I didn't really have a problem with them using the Guardian in this manner. So gently caress the angry internet twitter crowd and Harlan Ellison's grumpy old corpse.

In isolation it's fine, whatever, but I'm really just sick at this point of Discovery's endless need to go back and grab everything the focus group loved from TOS and reinterpret and retcon it leave their own mark on it. It's gotten so old and I'd hoped season 3 would move on from that well.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

MikeJF posted:

In isolation it's fine, whatever, but I'm really just sick at this point of Discovery's endless need to go back and grab everything the focus group loved from TOS and reinterpret and retcon it leave their own mark on it. It's gotten so old and I'd hoped season 3 would move on from that well.

Of all the crimes of Discovery, the Guardian of Forever was actually cool and good.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

They didn’t reinterpret or retcon anything though, they filled the audience in on what the Guardian had done in the 1,000 years since Kirk & co had visited it. Continuing a character’s story isn’t a retcon.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

HD DAD posted:

If I had no idea what Star Trek was or its history and saw this episode, the Guardian reveal would have seemed like something out of a Tim and Eric sketch.

But I do know Trek and therefore I liked it.

I had no idea who he was so when that happened it was kind of hilarious.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Delsaber posted:

I really appreciate Reno's snack choices.

You're not allowed to bring food in here.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Well, apparently that last episode was a fluke, because this latest one was back to the usual low standard. "I'm going to torture Evil Michael into being loyal to me and also a better person" isn't even a bad plan it's just nonsense, and everyone eulogising Space Hitler was dumb. Did anyone but Michael even like her? If so, why? Did she spend a lot of time making friends off-screen? Did she ever do a single selfless thing in her life? And setting up the Kelpian uprising in the mirror universe could be cool if they were actually going to follow up on it, but they won't.

Bilirubin posted:

Also, if Book is setting them up. I might actually throw something at the tv
My guess is, he's legit but the tech he brought is part of someone else's nonsensical long-game plan where they let him use it trouble-free for years but now that he's brought it onto the Discovery they'll be like "Aha, time to finally activate my secret virus/tracker/ship-disabler/whatever." It just seemed like they made too big a deal of it and of him having used it safely up to this point.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MikeJF posted:

That's just media now. The 80s & 90s were endless sequels, so everyone made sequels. After the millennium, LOTR proved it was marketable to adapt every book in a series, so everything in the 00s was at least one movie for every book in a franchise. Throughout the 10s Marvel proved it was marketable to have a shared universe between tons of films and TV shows, so everything became shared extended universes. Now in the 20s Marvel is about to prove you can fold ALL different canons into a multiverse, so brace yourself for every media franchise you've ever heard of to recognize all of its conflicting canon as a multiverse.

I kind of wonder what the next step is after that. My guess is endless crossovers in the 30s as more studios make deals with each other.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They didn’t reinterpret or retcon anything though, they filled the audience in on what the Guardian had done in the 1,000 years since Kirk & co had visited it. Continuing a character’s story isn’t a retcon.

Oh come on, I don't mind but they changed it up quite a bit and made it a mini time god. The old guardian was explicitly a big ring that's a time window, I can show history, at a certain speed, I can't even change the speed, gently caress you, I was built to do this one thing and that's it. It was a very limited thing.

It's fine though, and it's not like the guardian was onscreen in TOS for more than five minutes, but god I want Discovery to just do its own thing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Dec 18, 2020

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Zesty posted:

Of all the crimes of Discovery, the Guardian of Forever was actually cool and good.

100%

I loving shouted "NO loving WAY" at my goddamned TV when Carl revealed his identity. Also it was the right choice to have the original voiceover lifted from the TOS episode.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Oh come on, I don't mind but they changed it up quite a bit and made it a mini time god. The old guardian was explicitly a big ring that's a time window, I can show history, at a certain speed, I can't even change the speed, gently caress you, I was built to do this one thing and that's it. It was a very limited thing.

It's fine though, and it's not like the guardian was onscreen in TOS for more than five minutes, but god I want Discovery to just do its own thing.

For what it’s worth, having the Guardian be able to manifest as a dude is actually honouring Ellison’s original draft of City on the Edge of Forever where the Guardian(s) of Forever were in fact literal actual time gods who appeared to Kirk and co. as such.

Ellison would have loving hated this take on it too, but he’s dead so gently caress him. What’s he care?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Ellison would have loving hated

To be fair that's just a generally valid statement.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

100%

I loving shouted "NO loving WAY" at my goddamned TV when Carl revealed his identity. Also it was the right choice to have the original voiceover lifted from the TOS episode.

The musical effect associated with the reveal was great too. Really nailed it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLw6w9JA6z4&t=97s

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sticklefifer posted:

I kind of wonder what the next step is after that. My guess is endless crossovers in the 30s as more studios make deals with each other.

After reading about how much of a nightmare Freddy vs. Jason was to make, I don't think this will ever be the case en masse.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Both are owned by Warner now. But I figure if Sony and Disney can work things out over Spider-Man, anyone can make a deal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

It'll all become a lot easier once Disney owns everything. So yeah, probably sometime in the 2030s.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I do enjoy the idea of the Guardian considering the line of people waiting to march through, super stoked to gently caress up history, sighing, and just vanishing to the Gamma Quadrant.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Crusader posted:

I do enjoy the idea of the Guardian considering the line of people waiting to march through, super stoked to gently caress up history, sighing, and just vanishing to the Gamma Quadrant.

I love the concept of sentient aliens that don't come off as traditional flesh and blood beings... and this one had a fascination for humanoids and their history and wanted them to experience and enjoy it too. :3:

The Enterprise temporal war arc was almost worth it considering how Discovery has been able to incorporate it into the backround lore of season 3.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zesty posted:

I love the concept of sentient aliens that don't come off as traditional flesh and blood beings... and this one had a fascination for humanoids and their history and wanted them to experience and enjoy it too. :3:

The Enterprise temporal war arc was almost worth it considering how Discovery has been able to incorporate it into the backround lore of season 3.

Discovery has a lot of bullshit hanging off it, but I do appreciate some of the referential stuff it's done like "continuing" from The Cage and the Guardian of Forever. I do think Paul Guilfoyle needed to enunciate the big reveal a little more, it looks like his lips barely move, but it was a cool moment and I loved the reuse of the original actor's line.

That said, time to rip on this dumpster fire of an episode. The opening credits are stupid as hell; If you want a reflection, what's wrong with a horizontal flip that'd sell the intended premise of "same, but different" properly? Upside down just looks silly. Hell, take a page from Enterprise's version and redo them with Terran Empire-esque details. There was no reason this had to be a two-parter either, and could've been condensed down into a single episode handily due to the fact we've already seen the Mirror Universe Discovery once and what these characters were like. They were also some of the shittiest episodes of Disco season 1 that were better off forgotten, why would you burn two episodes in a thirteen episode season reminding people of them?

And of course we have yet another character leaving the show that spends their big goodbye scene telling Michael Burnham how great and wonderful they are instead of the other way around :rolleyes::fh:.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
So, what's the difference between Emperor Proconsul Supreme Commander Space Hitler and Mirror Spock anyways? Specifically who they were pre-Prime incursion and who they were after and how that all worked out in the end.

In short, in a universe specifically designed to generate Space Hitlers, can any good truly flourish in a vacuum?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SpeakSlow posted:

I mean, screaming "Space Hitler" every thread is an easy way to dismiss the Emperor Georgiou thread in Disco, but really it's a nature versus nurture issue aka Grant Morrison Earth 2 issue.

The base Terran nature of the Mirror universe is to give-in to the basest instincts every time. So, what happens when you take a Terran and put them in the exact opposite environment and let them live there?

Is there anything more Star Trek than a lost soul being taught another way by the actions of Starfleet officers and crew? Kira and the Maquis crew in Voyager were literal terrorists and we had no problem watching them integrate to work with Starfleet moral standards. poo poo, TNG started the rehab of Klingons that continued for decades afterwards.

tl;dr: Georgiou redemption good, stop it with the purile Space Hitler criticism already. It's boring.

The bajorans were explicitly fighting to free themselves from a tyrannical regime
Georgiou was an empire of a regime hundreds of times worse than what they fought.

It's ridiculous, she is actually worse than hitler. It's not a joke, it's not hyperbole. She's murdered actual billions. And she chose to do it too, she's specifically risen to that office, it's not hereditary.

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yes, because all plucky freedom fighters use indiscriminate bombing campaigns to push their agenda. To the point where the typical upholder of freedom Federation formally declares them terrorists and sends ships like Voyager after them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

This isn't how the Guardian of Forever works! This isn't how the Guardian of Forever works at all! (edit: okay they're explaining this okay about why it changed)

Yay more Jett Reno!

MichiganCubbie fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 18, 2020