Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
What is a killboy and why is it famous/important?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

Saga posted:

What is a killboy and why is it famous/important?

Self proclaimed pro-photographer I believe: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=killboy. :banjo:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Boru posted:

Self proclaimed pro-photographer I believe: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=killboy. :banjo:

Well he makes more than any "professional" photographer I ever met.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Flipping through one of the local track day organizer's facebook pics I saw these from last year:

"The welds did not penetrate the parent material"

http://www.themotorcyclelawyer.com/76.html

quote:

out of T-2 on the gas, see profile pic, having fun,, then Brakes, Gear, Gas , bike goes clunk I go flying, aired out the pavement landed off course balled up rolled about 80' stood up, fell down, stood up, ran to bike 50' away it is in two pieces. I got a ride back to the pits thinking the bike just broke when I finished breaking but after speaking with my Pal Chris, just wasn't 100% sure,, until we went out to pick up the bike and there on the the track was a blue and green divet, that said it all. What a crazy experience. When everyone gathered around this bike sitting by the coach it was amazing to hear this is a common occurrence for the 1000 of a couple different model years. I am totally fine

I hate to give Silver suckzuki fodder, but :drat: Apparently suzuki had issues with 2005-2006 gsxr1000 frames

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3694967928005

These guys are loving nutjobs. They're ripping the 1199 apart on their facebook calling it slow.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

KidDynamite posted:

These guys are loving nutjobs. They're ripping the 1199 apart on their facebook calling it slow.

More like insufferable douchebags, judging by their comments. 160+mph on public roads? Yeah, that's real cool, dudes :rolleyes:

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

KozmoNaut posted:

More like insufferable douchebags, judging by their comments. 160+mph on public roads? Yeah, that's real cool, dudes :rolleyes:

Hellforleather spent a few articles fellating those guys, which should tell you everything you need to know about them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wow, those guys are loving twats, and I could tell that just from their comments without even watching the video. Having watched the video as well, what a bunch of morons.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

Not sure what the point of risking jail or having an MPV pull out on you when you're doing 180mph is. Anyone can open a throttle.

Mostly just a dumb thing to do that gives people an excuse to bitch about bikes, despite being not particularly dangerous to anyone else: my idiot's primary school physics says the kinetic energy of 169kg of 1198 being caned by NYC's thug lyfe afficionados at 160 mph is ~432,000 joules while the kinetic energy of an 1790kg 5 series diesel being driven incompetently at 60mph would be ~644,000 joules. To me, this suggests you'd probably be better off if your Toyota Previa was rear-ended by the dude on the 1198 than someone texting frantically in their 530d - only 2/3 of the energy should be needed to stop an 1198 as against a 530d.

However, needless to say, incompetent or illegal driving at 60mph is basically tolerated (at least based on my daily commute...) whereas riding your bike at highly illegal speeds, aside from being liable to get you killed if there's traffic around, is apt to both cause a moral panic and get you slung in jail. The risk reward balance doesn't seem particularly attractive to me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Your calculations look sound, but they don't take into account the much smaller cross section of the bike. That kinetic energy will be distributed across a much smaller area. Cars are designed to resist impact mostly from other cars, so a bike can sort of "slip through", especially if it hits a door. I've seen plenty of pictures of wrecks were they had to basically remove the bike from all the way inside the car, a lot of them from rear collisions.

Anyone with even the slighest bit of riding under their belt can go fast on a bike. I've gone 180kph on 80kph a couple of times (but not anymore, officer!) and it was easy as piss, even on my decidedly porky and non-supersport Bandit. Sure, it's kinda novel to watch the landscape pass by much faster than usual, but that's all it is. I don't understand the fascination.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Three flaws:

One, I assume you're calculating energy required to bring the object to a complete stop. Generally there's going to be ~some~ relative speed, i.e in a pullout scenario maybe you got up to 15 MPH before the other dude smacked you, so your relative velocity is only 45 MPH. During normal driving your relative velocity drops way lower. Both cases cut away a significant percentage of the energy the 530d will impart, the bike still has a massive percentage of its relative velocity and energy.

Two, that 530d has crumple zones designed to consume and dissipate that energy, transmitting less of it to its own passengers and the vehicle it hits.. A bike is a spear, like Kozmo said.

Three, the theoretical 60MPH 530d is well within most people's visual and spatial capabilities to see, identify, and probably dodge, reducing the chance of any energy transfer at all. A 180mph sportbike is, again, a spear, and even if someone sees the headlight and groks the relative motion, it's doubtful they'll be able to get out of the way. I happen to like how bikes ~~tighten the OODA loop~~ like this, but it means you can't count on cars and their drivers to do anything productive for crash avoidance.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gullous posted:

I hate to give Silver suckzuki fodder, but :drat: Apparently suzuki had issues with 2005-2006 gsxr1000 frames

Dont worry, it happens to the best of em, even Hondas. IIRC, some recent Ninjas had the same issues.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Man, look at the rake on that KTM chopper!

Choom Gangster
Oct 29, 2006

Boru posted:

I saw this weird Sportster (?) thing at my favorite pizzeria the other night:

It honestly has me confounded. Straight pipes, chromed out, but also debadged with a cafe-style windshield. :psyduck:

Also (not pictured) I saw a rider on a sportbike last night dressed in full leathers and helmet. I was so shocked to see ATGATT in CT that I almost crashed myself! I'm assuming it was one of you, as the standard motorcycle uniform in CT is workboots, jeans, Harley shirt, and sunglasses (sometimes a Safety Bandanna/Do-Rag).

It's an FXR. That's a club style bike. One percent clubs have been blacking out their bikes, most often FXRs, and putting fairings and t bars on them since the late 70s. That's why the bikes on SOA look like that, it's how most white clubs, namely the Angels, build their bikes. This bike is lacking a few major styling cues of most club bikes, most importantly the t bars.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen plenty of pictures of wrecks were they had to basically remove the bike from all the way inside the car, a lot of them from rear collisions.

I once saw someone texting in a minivan slam into the back of a car that was waiting to turn, yielding to traffic on the main road. The minivan's front end was dented and damaged, but kept its basic shape...but the trunk of the car that got rear-ended was just flattened into nothing. The car looked like it ended right behind the rear wheels. I wouldn't be at all surprised that a motorcycle smashing into a big hollow sheetmetal box like that would cut right through it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KidDynamite posted:

Any post where one of the first comments is asking for a "link to the video" is always going to be a good time.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMW_wLrDSRE

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Somebody go mount this on a bike, right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MasocIBqaE

quote:

This recording was done at Angeles Crest Hwy called "Echo Point" in Southern California about 400 feet away from the horn

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 17, 2012

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
If I have a bad crash at least I know I have some cool options. This chick likes hers so much she's aiming to have two.

More here.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Safety skirt!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Also Ducati. I approve.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Also Ducati. I approve.

Do you get to call yourself a Ducati rider if you don't own a Pannegale, 1198 or 898?

Riding one of thier shittier bikes seems like a lowbrow way to be in the 'club'.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

So in your opinion, riding a Ducati doesn't count as being a Ducati rider?

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

bladesamurai posted:

So in your opinion, riding a Ducati doesn't count as being a Ducati rider?

No, I'm saying buying and riding a poo poo Ducati (i.e. anything other than an 1198, 848 or Pannigale) is a lame way to buy into the Ducati image of superfast devil-may-care handsome supersports racebikes.

Because let's face it. Monster riders don't say "Hey I ride a Monster and I regret buying it", they say "... as a Ducati rider [some insipid comment] :smugdog:"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You don't even try with your trolls anymore. At least put your back into it

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
On the other hand, Daytona Bandit riders are men of staggering character and panache.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Z3n posted:

On the other hand, Daytona Bandit riders are men of staggering character and panache.

I dont ride the Bandit by choice. In fact, I have been commuting by bicycle and train so I don't have to put my legs astride that reluctant docile pig.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Z3n posted:

No, we're just poor ;)

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Z3n posted:

Do not play with the poo.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mootmoot posted:

"... as a Ducati rider [some insipid comment] :smugdog:"
That's pretty much me, and I don't even own a Monster.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

As a Ducati rider, my Monster is basically an SV650 that looks pretty. :smugdog:

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp
So today we had the annual east side classic here in Austin. I took a bunch of pics, but I tend to trend towards the chopper type stuff as thats what I'm into.

Valt fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 18, 2012

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Turbo silliness aside, I really like how the exhaust wraps around the side of the engine on the first bike.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Are you a bad enough dude?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

And this among the related videos of your related video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzFzcWe6pH8

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

mootmoot posted:

No, I'm saying buying and riding a poo poo Ducati (i.e. anything other than an 1198, 848 or Pannigale) is a lame way to buy into the Ducati image of superfast devil-may-care handsome supersports racebikes.

Because let's face it. Monster riders don't say "Hey I ride a Monster and I regret buying it", they say "... as a Ducati rider [some insipid comment] :smugdog:"

Please don't attempt to troll, you're really bad at it, like you are at riding motorcycles.

You're right the only way to be something is to buy your way into it.

Can I be a Daytona rider if I'm not a scared girl who panics at the hint of bend in the road?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HNasty posted:

Please don't attempt to troll, you're really bad at it, like you are at riding motorcycles.

You're right the only way to be something is to buy your way into it.

Can I be a Daytona rider if I'm not a scared girl who panics at the hint of bend in the road?

I wish it was OK to emptyquote in here

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Why didn't I own a gopro when I crashed my daytona :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Why didn't I own a gopro when I crashed my daytona :(

Yeah, mootmoot would have pointed out the exact appropiate times you could have done a wheelie before you crashed.