Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
If you make that much, see if your company offers an "after-tax" 401k. The contribution limit is something like 50k after tax, and you can immediately roll whatever you contribute into a roth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

It's really pretty lovely that the contribution amount is so much lower outside of an employer 401k. Is there any good reason that 401k's allow $18k but a personal IRA is only $5k?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

paternity suitor posted:

Is there any good reason that 401k's allow $18k but a personal IRA is only $5k?
It is part of America's long heritage of dicking the little guy.

And any sort of tax reform is a third rail I guess, because otherwise it shouldn't be too hard to just say "whatever the vehicle is, you get a total of $x tax advantaged space a year."

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 4, 2017

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I don't even see how you can retire on $5k a year

poe meater I would start a taxable account and invest in the same poo poo you would invest in with a 401k.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
$5,500 a year compounded at ~7% comes out to north of 500k in 30 years. It's not enough to retire on but with social security it can be enough for a comfortable retirement. Not of the jet-setting variety or retiring early, of course, you need a 401k and/or taxable investments for that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Is there any reason to ever look at a myRA? It looks like it's just a 100% bond portfolio with a $15,000 contribution cap.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Neon Belly posted:

Is there any reason to ever look at a myRA? It looks like it's just a 100% bond portfolio with a $15,000 contribution cap.

It's definitely the worst option you can pick aside from maybe stock gambling in your IRA.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nail Rat posted:

Most people who make six figures don't make nearly as much as you do. I would wager that the majority of people making 6 figures are eligible, especially because 401ks reduce your MAGI. When you take into account other deductions, it's entirely possible an individual making slightly north of 140k can contribute the full amount, if they're maxing their traditional 401k.

By comparison, after 105k or so it's kind of hard to have enough deductions for a traditional IRA to be deductible. I think there's a lot more people in the 100-140k range than there are past that.

I don't even make 6 figures. I made high five figures for a couple of years at a lobbying firm in D.C. and took a big pay cut to move to a cheaper area fairly recently.

I'm just saying that is an example. If you make less than 6 figures you are eligible for a roth 100% of the time. If you make more than 6 figures, then there is a chance you aren't and would go with a traditional.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I don't even make 6 figures. I made high five figures for a couple of years at a lobbying firm in D.C. and took a big pay cut to move to a cheaper area fairly recently.

I'm just saying that is an example. If you make less than 6 figures you are eligible for a roth 100% of the time. If you make more than 6 figures, then there is a chance you aren't and would go with a traditional.

Ah, my bad, thought you were one of the resident 200k+ers.

And while there's a chance, the chance that you don't qualify for a Roth as a 6-figure earner is much less than the chance that you can't deduct a traditional. Since there is a 45k disparity in the AGI requirement.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Neon Belly posted:

It actually has a $5,500 contribution cap, and a $15,000 capacity limit. It uses the same contribution limit (the actual limit, not just the same number) as an IRA, and once your balance hits $15,000 it must be rolled over to an IRA

They're terrible.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Nail Rat posted:

Ah, my bad, thought you were one of the resident 200k+ers.

We prefer the term "whales" thanks.

Does anyone have any strong feelings about Yellen's indicated willingness to let inflation drift up above 2%? I don't think it'll go to 4% like that IMF dude wants, but gently caress pushing for higher inflation just so central banks have "more tools to use in a downturn."

QE wasn't that bad, that showed some creativity. So what, go push on a string.

Demographics say we're not getting 7% anyway, unless we can get some goddamn robots cooking.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

It actually has a $5,500 contribution cap, and a $15,000 capacity limit. It uses the same contribution limit (the actual limit, not just the same number) as an IRA, and once your balance hits $15,000 it must be rolled over to an IRA

They're terrible.

That people word it this way shows how effective the previous administration's messaging was. MyRA isn't like an IRA, it IS one. It's just the govt acting as an IRA provider with some special funds that only Uncle Sam offers.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Basically a dollar in a Roth is more "valuable" than a dollar in Traditional because the taxes have already been paid on the Roth (using a simplified example of 15% taxes, $1 in roth is worth $1.15 in traditional).

Wouldn't your tax liability just scale?

It seems like you're looking at ...

Traditional:
Contribution * Return * Tax liability

Roth:
Contribution * Tax Liability * Return

XYZ = XZY

It's my understanding that the benefit is eschewing capital gains and influence over what tax bracket that income and its gains will fall under.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Z1 != Z2

Most people are in a lower tax bracket after retirement. But I agree that in general the "a dollar is more valuable in a Roth" argument is overblown.

One costs more to put in, the other costs more to take out.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Accretionist posted:

Traditional:

Roth:

XYZ = XZY

Steampunk Hitler posted:

means that you get a higher effective limit
When you are contributing $5500 either way it makes a difference.

contribution - taxes = 5500
or
contribution = 5500 - taxes

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 5, 2017

I Like Jell-O
May 19, 2004
I really do.

Accretionist posted:

Traditional:

Roth:

XYZ = XZY

It's my understanding that the benefit is eschewing capital gains and influence over what tax bracket that income and its gains will fall under.

Assuming you're maxing out the IRA, the Roth contribution will be higher in your example. The math is the same, but the inputs are different.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
:pseudo:

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 5, 2017

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Accretionist posted:

Traditional:

Roth:

XYZ = XZY

Well let's take a look at the math, we can ignore the returns part because it doesn't change anything, and let's just look at it in terms of pure value of the dollar you've put into the IRA.

Traditional: You put in $5500 of pre tax dollars, for simplicity's sake we'll say you have a flat 15% tax on this. Thus if you were to withdraw this entire amount of money you would pay your 15% tax and get $4675.
Roth: You put in $5500 of post tax dollars, since this has already been taxed when you withdraw it you get $5500.

To put another way, since the limit is $5500 no matter what, paying taxes *before* you apply the cap, means you effectively get to put in $6470.5882 of pre tax dollars. If you only put $4675 into your Roth IRA then yes, it would come out to exactly the same (in the simplistic 15% flat tax scenario)

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Steampunk Hitler posted:

Well let's take a look at the math, we can ignore the returns part because it doesn't change anything, and let's just look at it in terms of pure value of the dollar you've put into the IRA.

Traditional: You put in $5500 of pre tax dollars, for simplicity's sake we'll say you have a flat 15% tax on this. Thus if you were to withdraw this entire amount of money you would pay your 15% tax and get $4675.
Roth: You put in $5500 of post tax dollars, since this has already been taxed when you withdraw it you get $5500.

To put another way, since the limit is $5500 no matter what, paying taxes *before* you apply the cap, means you effectively get to put in $6470.5882 of pre tax dollars. If you only put $4675 into your Roth IRA then yes, it would come out to exactly the same (in the simplistic 15% flat tax scenario)

Just a further bit of clarification, the tax % you'd use here is the the % you'd be paying in retirement not the tax you're paying today. If you're paying 30% today but would be paying 15% in retirement (to against use simple numbers) you've essentially paid $7857.1429 to put in $6470.5882 worth of contributions into your IRA. Unless you're paying more in taxes in retirement, a traditional is better if you're not able to effectively contribute more to the Roth by paying a premium for the privilege. So to use the 30% today, 15% in retirement numbers, if you're only able to contribute 3500 to your Roth or $5000 to your Traditional IRA (for the same effective contribution in terms of how much of your paycheck _today_ is being taken out), then you end up with an effective contribution of $3500 in the Roth and $4250 in the Traditional.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steampunk Hitler posted:

This is not an apples to apples comparison. A correct comparison would be that you have $1.15 to save in both (pre and post tax) scenarios. You are cheating by giving the roth saver more income.

In the 15% bracket scenario, it costs you $1.15 to buy 1 dollar of post-tax savings. It costs you $1 to buy $1 dollar of pre-tax savings.

Assuming that the rate of return is the same and that you are in a 15% tax bracket at retirement this is a wash.

However, If you have $1.15 to save and you put $1 into pre-tax you still have $0.15 to save for post tax, which after 15% taxes is 0.1275.

If you put that 0.1275 into a roth then at retirement you will have more 12.75% more savings than just putting all your money into a Roth at the beginning.

So, the correct answer is that you should always max out your pre-tax savings first.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Murgos posted:

This is not an apples to apples comparison. A correct comparison would be that you have $1.15 to save in both (pre and post tax) scenarios. You are cheating by giving the roth saver more income.

In the 15% bracket scenario, it costs you $1.15 to buy 1 dollar of post-tax savings. It costs you $1 to buy $1 dollar of pre-tax savings.

Assuming that the rate of return is the same and that you are in a 15% tax bracket at retirement this is a wash.

However, If you have $1.15 to save and you put $1 into pre-tax you still have $0.15 to save for post tax, which after 15% taxes is 0.1275.

If you put that 0.1275 into a roth then at retirement you will have more 12.75% more savings than just putting all your money into a Roth at the beginning.

So, the correct answer is that you should always max out your pre-tax savings first.

If I'm reading this correctly, you're assuming that you have different buckets for Traditional and Roth. If you've maxed out your Traditional then you don't have any Roth left to put the additional money.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steampunk Hitler posted:

If I'm reading this correctly, you're assuming that you have different buckets for Traditional and Roth. If you've maxed out your Traditional then you don't have any Roth left to put the additional money.

Doesn't matter. Even if you put the left over 0.1275 into a non tax-advantaged account you will still have saved more money, and have more money at retirement, than having put some into a Roth.

e: As far as I can tell a Roth is only actually good if your tax bracket will be higher in retirement than in accumulation. Pessimists assume that this will be the case and that taxes in the future will always be higher than they are now.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 5, 2017

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Or if you make enough to put you above the traditional IRA deduction limit and backdoor Roth is your only option.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Murgos posted:

Doesn't matter. Even if you put the left over 0.1275 into a non tax-advantaged account you will still have saved more money, and have more money at retirement, than having put some into a Roth.

e: As far as I can tell a Roth is only actually good if your tax bracket will be higher in retirement than in accumulation. Pessimists assume that this will be the case and that taxes in the future will always be higher than they are now.

I don't think this is true, and certainly Boggleheads appears to generally agree with me.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Traditional_versus_Roth#Maxing_out_your_retirement_accounts posted:

For example, consider contributing the IRS maximum of $18,000 to a Roth 401(k), or contributing the same $18,000 to a Traditional 401(k) and investing the $5040 tax savings (28% bracket) in a taxable account.

The equivalent conversion decision would be to convert a $18,000 Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, paying the $5040 tax with money that would otherwise have been invested in a taxable account.

If you use the Roth 401(k), you will have $90,000 in retirement. If you use the Traditional 401(k), you will have $20,160 to spend in your taxable account, and your Traditional 401(k) balance will be $90,000.

If you retire in a 15% tax bracket, your 401(k) will be worth $76,500, for a total of $96,660. If you retire in a 25% tax bracket, your 401(k) will be worth $67,500, for a total of $87,660. If you retire in a 28% tax bracket, your 401(k) will be worth $65,400, for a total of $85,560. If you retire in a 33% tax bracket, your 401(k) will be worth $60,300, for a total of $80,460. Thus it is better to use the Roth even if you are in the 28% bracket now and will retire in the slightly lower 25% bracket.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Murgos posted:

There's a degree of hedging, I think. Most people who are saving have a lot of money in trad 401k.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Steampunk Hitler posted:

I don't think this is true, and certainly Boggleheads appears to generally agree with me.

Both of these cases end up saying what a lot of us have been all along: If you are constrained by contribution limits (You dont have a 401k or are maxing it out) then Roth lets you get more tax advantaged money in. If you aren't constrained (not maxing out or have mega backdoor) then its only a matter of taxes now vs taxes then.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's a degree of hedging, I think. Most people who are saving have a lot of money in trad 401k.

Yeah after max traditional 401k plus some employer match, Roth IRA makes sense as a form of "diversification."

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

Xenoborg posted:

Both of these cases end up saying what a lot of us have been all along: If you are constrained by contribution limits (You dont have a 401k or are maxing it out) then Roth lets you get more tax advantaged money in. If you aren't constrained (not maxing out or have mega backdoor) then its only a matter of taxes now vs taxes then.

Yea basically. There is of course a break even point where the ability to get more tax advantaged money isn't worth the cost of paying a (likely higher) tax now than in retirement compared to the 15% LTCG. But that gets kind of complicated because it depends on a lot of factors in the future that we can't predict today.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
Just to clarify for myself. The $18000 employer 401k limit is separate from the Roth IRA $5500 limit? I can do $18k 401k + $5500 Roth?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

B-Mac posted:

Just to clarify for myself. The $18000 employer 401k limit is separate from the Roth IRA $5500 limit? I can do $18k 401k + $5500 Roth?

Yeah I think so, so long as your AGI doesn't disqualify you from making Roth payments. Otherwise I think it's $5500 in a trad IRA as a limit.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

We can also throw in that tax rates are at historic lows, and maybe even confuse it more with local taxes. I live in an area that has very high state income taxes, but will I be retiring to here or a place with no income taxes?

I think it just comes down to hedging and using a variety of possible retirement vehicles.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

B-Mac posted:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah I think so, so long as your AGI doesn't disqualify you from making Roth payments. Otherwise I think it's $5500 in a trad IRA as a limit.

The 401k and IRA limits are entirely distinct regardless of whether you pick Traditional or Roth in either. Separately from that there are income limits (based on whether or not you have a retirement plan through work) that make you ineligible to contribute directly to a roth IRA account and also income limits that make you ineligible to contribute to a traditional IRA and deduct the contributions. In this scenario the only sane thing to do is a backdoor roth.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

B-Mac posted:

Yes, the IRA is an entirely different thing from the 401(k). IRA was created as an actual retirement account for individuals. 401(k) is based on a tax loophole designed to allow employees to defer income (and the taxes on that income.) That's partially why the 401(k) limits are much higher, they're more about "no, you're not deferring all your income so you can get out of paying tax this year."

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah after max traditional 401k plus some employer match, Roth IRA makes sense as a form of "diversification."

I agree completely. The Roth v. Read debate is interesting but it's extremely hard to generalize the outcomes because there are so many variables at play.

However, what I would argue is the biggest benefit of the Roth is the absence of RMDs. Being able to use that money however I see fit is an awesome tool to supplement my larger 401k balance (which will be subject to RMDs).

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Also great for early retirees who need funds available before they can withdraw 401k money without penalty (or at least the 4.0001 years needed to get a 401k-> Roth conversion ladder going).

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Roth IRAs have more favorable legal bullshit compared to traditional IRAs, and that's the difference that makes me suggest them over traditional in 99.99% of cases.

For example -- just throwing this one out there -- you can withdraw principal contributions without penalty in a Roth IRA. That's not true of Traditional IRAs or 401ks. It's difficult to overstate how valuable that is (even if you never intend to use it).

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DNK posted:

Roth IRAs have more favorable legal bullshit compared to traditional IRAs, and that's the difference that makes me suggest them over traditional in 99.99% of cases.

For example -- just throwing this one out there -- you can withdraw principal contributions without penalty in a Roth IRA. That's not true of Traditional IRAs or 401ks. It's difficult to overstate how valuable that is (even if you never intend to use it).
Put another way and more broadly: more choices is almost always more valuable (in the sense of being worth more in diverse circumstances) than access to fewer but presently optimal choices.

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2017

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Steampunk Hitler posted:

It certainly does not. What that says is that if you save in a 15% bracket and retire into a 28% (or greater) bracket then in that case a roth was the better choice.

If you are saving in a 15% bracket and you retire into a >= 28% bracket, congratulations. You won retirement.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Best bet - do a little bit of everything. Roth, Traditional, Taxable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I mean, let's be real here: if you're saving a good chunk of change every year in reasonable investments, you're probably going to be okay.