Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

LividLiquid posted:

My wife's out of town, I have a half-gallon of whiskey, this is my only night off for the next three weeks and I want to watch some legendary wrestling from 1997 or later. What should I watch?

Edit: Oh, and 7-alarm wings. It has to go along with the most painful chicken wings in the greater Seattle area. Seriously. I'm basically eating pepper spray here.

7-alarm wings and whiskey? If you're intent on hurting yourself that much, ECW is the way to go, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

LividLiquid posted:

My wife's out of town, I have a half-gallon of whiskey, this is my only night off for the next three weeks and I want to watch some legendary wrestling from 1997 or later. What should I watch?

Edit: Oh, and 7-alarm wings. It has to go along with the most painful chicken wings in the greater Seattle area. Seriously. I'm basically eating pepper spray here.

*King of the Ring 2001: Street Fight - Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon
*Fully Loaded 2000: WWF Title Match - The Rock(c) vs. Chris Benoit
*Vengeance 2001: Hardcore Title Match - The Undertaker vs. Rob Van Dam(c)
*In Your House: Final Four: Final Four Match for vacant WWF Title - Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker vs. Vader
*SummerSlam 1997: Intercontinental Title Match - Owen Hart(c) vs. Steve Austin

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I gotta re-watch Rock/Benoit to see how it stands up.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CombineThresher posted:

7-alarm wings and whiskey? If you're intent on hurting yourself that much, ECW is the way to go, friend.
Pft. That's future Joe's problem. gently caress that guy. I'm having fun.

Edit: And Kurt Vs. Shane was an awesome pick.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have to disagree with something here--"7-alarm wings, whiskey, and wrestling" DEFINITELY deserves it's own thread.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

In the early part of Benoit/Rock, between Benoit's gutwrench-gutbuster and Shane elbowing Rocky while he's under the ropes, what are the fans chanting?

It sounds like LETS GO WRESTLING (:psyduck: ??) or maybe even LETS GO BENOIT, but I can't make it out.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Q: Why did Matt Striker stop wrestling?

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

Red posted:

Q: Why did Matt Striker stop wrestling?

He was bad at it, plus he was really really good at talking. In another time he might have been a truly great manager.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Goog posted:

He was bad at it, plus he was really really good at talking. In another time he might have been a truly great manager.

If he was better at talking than wrestling than you would think watching him wrestle would cause brain hemorrhages or something.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Has any promotion had a woman doing commentary/pbp for any significant length of time?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Has any promotion had a woman doing commentary/pbp for any significant length of time?

no.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I'll go with SHIMMER on that, since you didn't specify major promotions only...

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

projecthalaxy posted:

Missy Hyatt in late 80s/early 90s WCW for awhile, I think.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Wade Barrett has mentioned in interviews that it took him some time to get used to the North American style of pro wrestling. What's so different about the European style?

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Writer Cath posted:

Wade Barrett has mentioned in interviews that it took him some time to get used to the North American style of pro wrestling. What's so different about the European style?

It's all uppercuts, wristlocks and that 'lady in the lake' move.

It's more of a technical style with less flash I believe. Very reversal heavy.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Writer Cath posted:

He might have also been referring to WWE's specific style, which is a lot of bump-and-feed if you're a heel. A lot of WCW guys had trouble adjusting to that too.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

CombineThresher posted:

He might have also been referring to WWE's specific style, which is a lot of bump-and-feed if you're a heel. A lot of WCW guys had trouble adjusting to that too.

Seems likely. I don't think Wade's wrestled anywhere other than in the WWE system in North America either.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

british style wrestling is basically what someone like Regal wrestles. A lot of holds and reversals, very submission heavy. The kind of thing that got shown a lot on World Of Sport back in the day.

budreck
Aug 2, 2005

by XyloJW
One thing that always bothered me about the Invasion angle was how it ended.

Steve Austin was the leader of the Alliance who's goal was to put the WWF out of business for good.

The night after the Alliance lost the Survivor Series matchup where it was all on the line and had to disband made no sense whatsoever.

Kurt Angle joined the Alliance a few weeks prior but it was all an act to assist Vince in making sure the WWF wins. Angle was the man who's plan successfully eliminated the invaders. For some reason on RAW, they depicted him as a heel.

Ric Flair made his WWF return as the man Shane and Stephanie sold their company shares to, making him co-owner. Angle was to be given the belt as a thank you for saving the company but Steve Austin shows up, attacks Angle, takes his belt, and is suddenly a babyface. WTF?

Was there an explanation given why Austin turned despite being the company's biggest hell 24 hours prior?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

budreck posted:

Was there an explanation given why Austin turned despite being the company's biggest hell 24 hours prior?

I applaud you for actually re-watching that stuff or remembering it that well.

I don't know if there was an exact explanation but the truth was, people still didn't want to boo Steve Austin. And they didn't want to cheer Vince McMahon.

I think the WWF tried to treat the Alliance like any other stable instead of treating them like a wrestling promotion. At times it seeped through like RVD and Billy Kidman getting pops while X-Pac got booed, but that should have been it from the get go. The fans shouldn't have been expected to boo Diamond Dallas Page or Rob Van Dam. They should have faced off with a top heel from the WWF. Instead, everyone in the Alliance was supposed to be a heel and that's that!... until Kidman got big pops for facing X-Pac.

Anyway, I get really angry and roll into tangents when talking about the Invasion. Sorry.

Minges
May 4, 2006
'Cause everybody hates a tourist

Red posted:

*King of the Ring 2001: Street Fight - Kurt Angle vs. Shane McMahon
*Fully Loaded 2000: WWF Title Match - The Rock(c) vs. Chris Benoit
*Vengeance 2001: Hardcore Title Match - The Undertaker vs. Rob Van Dam(c)
*In Your House: Final Four: Final Four Match for vacant WWF Title - Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker vs. Vader
*SummerSlam 1997: Intercontinental Title Match - Owen Hart(c) vs. Steve Austin

*Spring Stampede '99: Blitzkrieg vs. Juventud Guerrera
*Backlash '01: Hardcore Title Match - Raven vs. Rhyno
*Souled Out '98: Raven vs. Chris Benoit

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

budreck posted:

I rewatched the Jim Cornette guest booker on the Invasion angle and the way he lays it out makes me so much more pissed we didn't get anything even close to what he had come up with over a weekend. I've said it before but anyone interested in the invasion angle should watch it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnVF2tYCx0Y

The setup with Vince the character stating outright what Vince the alleged human being actually thought is genius.

Plus you get stories like the Festus hilarity where WWE took him from OVW (which Cornette ran at the time) for a bit role in a dark match at a house show (or something) then sent him back with his head shaved. When Cornette called the WWE office to ask what they did to his top heel they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like bald. It's just magical to hear him rant about poo poo like this.

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 29, 2011

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Which are the better (funnier or more informative/interesting) YouShoots?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Matt Cruea posted:

Which are the better (funnier or more informative/interesting) YouShoots?

Sean Waltman's was good all around. Not sure how informative.

Holly's was good. Informative and funny.

Both of Cornette's were great and of course should be watched.

New Jack's was alright.

After that... meh.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Lone Rogue posted:

Sean Waltman's was good all around. Not sure how informative.

Holly's was good. Informative and funny.

Both of Cornette's were great and of course should be watched.

New Jack's was alright.

After that... meh.

Yeah, I just finished Waltman's which is why I asked. He comes off a lot better than I thought he would. Also he is very high.

Cartridgeblowers fucked around with this message at 06:44 on May 29, 2011

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
Sandman's YouShoot had some pretty funny stories.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

Doesn't British/Euro wrestling have rounds?

Whatboy
Oct 6, 2008

This Forum Is Pissing Me Off!

Red posted:

Doesn't British/Euro wrestling have rounds?

Classic British wrestling certainly does and some promotions still run with it. Here is a sample of that with Sheamus. A lot of other promotions are now influenced by the WWE and American wrestling though, so its starting to fade away.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

MisterGBH posted:

It's all uppercuts, wristlocks and that 'lady in the lake' move.

It's more of a technical style with less flash I believe. Very reversal heavy.

It hasn't been like that for a while, except for a few older guys floating around the micro-leagues and a few self-concious throwbacks. Now it's pretty much just a (literally) pale imitation of American indy style.

Merlot Brougham
Dec 16, 2004

The White Darryl Strawberry

Salad Prong
Three words: Brawl For All

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

One thing that always bothered me about the Invasion angle was how it ended.
Yeah, I don't think it ever was explained, I think they just decided to go with the flow of how they thought the audience would react.

Another loose end is how the story w s played out towards the end of the angle where Vince McMahon was certain that Austin would turn back to he WWE during the match and save it, he was absolutely certain of this from what I can gather despite Austin not even believing it himself.

I've only seen the PPV chronology for 2001 recently so I probably missed a more in depth look at this on Raw/Smackdown but how did this particular story element develop? How did McMahon get the idea that Austin would turn back at Survivor Series and why was he so certain?

During the video package for the match they also have an exert from a promo on Smackdown with the Rock and Austin where the Rock is presumably confronting Austin about McMahon's idea that Austin would turn at Survivor Series. What happened during this promo? It seems odd to me that the Rock and Austin were shaking hands despite being on opposing sides and both of them being skeptical about McMahon's soothsaying.

I do love the exert they show for the SS video package where the Rock says 'The Rock will NEVER forget', and Rock Bottom's Austin, it looks so powerful. I'd love to see the promo in full if anyone knows what I'm talking about/can find it.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Sorry for the double post, braking up the all of ext.

Merlot Brougham posted:

Three words: Brawl For All
It's been explained in here quite thoroughly several times and I still don't quite understand it, it's especially confusing because I've never seen any of the matches or promo's for it. so I'll be interests to hear this explained again.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Sue Denim posted:

I do love the exert they show for the SS video package where the Rock says 'The Rock will NEVER forget', and Rock Bottom's Austin, it looks so powerful. I'd love to see the promo in full if anyone knows what I'm talking about/can find it.

Probably one of my favourite promos ever. The Austin & Rock singing to each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcc_7KInyg&feature=related

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sue Denim posted:

Sorry for the double post, braking up the all of ext.

It's been explained in here quite thoroughly several times and I still don't quite understand it, it's especially confusing because I've never seen any of the matches or promo's for it. so I'll be interests to hear this explained again.

I BELIEVE it was mostly JR's idea as a way to get Steve Williams over as a bad-rear end, so it was a legitimate boxing/wrestling contest with filled with mid-carders and they earned points for take-downs and such or you could knock someone out.

Anyway, since it was not fixed people actually got pretty hurt and Williams actually got eliminated and it was won by Bart Gunn who faced Butterbean at WM 15 and got knocked the gently caress out so hard he left the WWF.

Really the whole thing seemed like a flawed idea to me now. There weren't really any big stars I remember in it because you couldn't have Steve Austin getting whoopped by Marc Mero and wrestling fans watched RAW for the wrestling, not for boxing. And boxing fans wouldn't have bothered to watch RAW for boxing, they'd just stick to actual boxing. I think it was chalked up as a lose/lose situation all things considered.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Jim Cornette put it best in that wrestling works so hard to convince fans that fake is real that when you give them something legitimately real, they are just going to think its fake.

It's also what has been my issue with hardcore wrestling. I don't want wrestlers to hurt each other. I want them to perform and make me think they are hurting each other.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Twin Cinema posted:

Probably one of my favourite promos ever. The Austin & Rock singing to each other: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKcc_7KInyg&feature=related

I think what I love most about this promo is how Stone Cold reacts to the audience saying what all the time. He panders to the audience but every once and a while he looks over to try to shut them up. It's fantastic.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Twin Cinema posted:

That was not what I was expecting.

Thank you so much for sharing the link, I really appreciate that.

The promo is incredible, it goes through am entire spectrum of emotions. It also pointed out something from the attitude era that's missing today that I don't often notice although watching a video like that makes it really obvious, you don't get segments like that with layers of purpose and tone. I can't think of the last time I saw a promo that was intentionally comedic but still made an important point relevant to the feud it was part of, expressed depth of character and story and didn't detract from the drama driving the angle. Ironically as WWE seems to attempt to head further down the entertainment rabbit hole it seems to have only served to alienate it's tone from it's programming.

Watching that raises a question I've been curious about for some time, how do the arena capacities compare for Raw and Smackdown in 2001 Vs 2011?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Sue Denim posted:

Watching that raises a question I've been curious about for some time, how do the arena capacities compare for Raw and Smackdown in 2001 Vs 2011?

I was at a SmackDown taping in 2001 and 2009. The 2001 taping was absolutely packed with signs and a nuclear hot crowd. The 2009 taping had the entire top level darkened (the TV side was where everyone was moved up there) where seats were not sold. The crowd was also not as into the show as the 2001 crowd was. Someone might have been to a show this year, I'm going to RAW in August, I doubt things have changed that much.

The big thing though is crowds from 2001 where MUCH more into a show and participated a lot more.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
All right, thanks.

It's just watching the link that I commented on a couple of posts ago the arena looks gigantic compared to some of the arenas they've been running weekly shows in recently. It looks a class or two of arena above some of the smaller ones they've run in recently like the University stadium they ran the draft show this year from for example.

Maybe the difference is more pronounced when comparing Raw, being the A show and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

I was at a SmackDown taping in 2001 and 2009. The 2001 taping was absolutely packed with signs and a nuclear hot crowd. The 2009 taping had the entire top level darkened (the TV side was where everyone was moved up there) where seats were not sold. The crowd was also not as into the show as the 2001 crowd was. Someone might have been to a show this year, I'm going to RAW in August, I doubt things have changed that much.

The big thing though is crowds from 2001 where MUCH more into a show and participated a lot more.

It's kind of why when people say the crowd was hot for Rhodes vs. Bryan I kind of sit there and say, "Really?" and it's because I remember when Road Dogg would wrestle Droz in 2000 and the crowd would explode in pops and boos.