Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

But the Si has Honda reliability

Mazda isn't exactly going to leave you at the side of the road, or pretty much anything except spiders in your gas tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

blk posted:

Mazda isn't exactly going to leave you at the side of the road, or pretty much anything except spiders in your gas tank.

Oh I know. Mazdas are certainly well built. But aside from 4 speed automatics, everything Honda builds is absolutely bulletproof.

I don't mean to crap on the 3 or come across as a Honda superfan. The 3 is a really great car, and the Si is too.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

Oh I know. Mazdas are certainly well built. But aside from 4 speed automatics, everything Honda builds is absolutely bulletproof.

I don't mean to crap on the 3 or come across as a Honda superfan. The 3 is a really great car, and the Si is too.

No, the Si is a mediocre car, badly in need of a redesign and coasting on it's former reputation and too many middle aged people with rose tinged glasses of what Honda used to be. It's a fairly pale shadow that has been damned with faint praise by every review for years now. The chassis is flabby and numb, the engine is not up to much of the (now forced induction) competition, and the interior was phoned in.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

VikingSkull posted:

the bigger problem with LR is that they sell Range Rovers for a half million dollars now

Eh, closer to 200k. And they are selling incredibly, incredibly well. I suppose it's a problem from a car enthusiasts perspective, it is definitely not a problem from a corporate perspective.

I do not understand why people are lining up to pay this much for something honestly quite mediocre. Having worked with fully loaded ones, RRs are nice, but not that nice. I suppose people are willing to pay a lot to have a bigger car than others. The big car cult is horrible, even in Europe. When Bentley makes an SUV they are going to be rolling in money.

Best part of being an intern at that dealership was the V8 F-Type start up sound. Someone found an excuse to move the cars around every second day. There was also a customer who liked to announce his arrival in a XKR with a good rev or two. Lots of people drove by on sweet bikes.

It was a good place for sound, certainly.

Sad car stuff: no one in Poland buys Jaguars (I am a Jaguar apologist for some reason that I do not entirely comprehend). No one buys Land Rovers. LOADS of people looove Range Rovers. Evoques sell like hotcakes.

Zeppelin Insanity fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 20, 2014

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

HotCanadianChick posted:

No, the Si is a mediocre car, badly in need of a redesign and coasting on it's former reputation and too many middle aged people with rose tinged glasses of what Honda used to be. It's a fairly pale shadow that has been damned with faint praise by every review for years now. The chassis is flabby and numb, the engine is not up to much of the (now forced induction) competition, and the interior was phoned in.

I haven't yet been in one but apparently the new Accord is legit really good and a return to form, as in would be by far king poo poo of family sedan mountain if the Mazda6 wasn't around.

I like the new Fit as well, though I'm weird and also liked the previous Fits that looked like Pokemons, so I've got some hope that Honda will make at least some effort at making the next Civic not a shitbox.

There doesn't seem to be even hints at rumours of a next-gen Civic though, so who knows how long it'll be. For whatever it's worth I'd probably go with a Civic Si sedan over a Focus ST just because I like (Good) NA engines and my favourite car I ever owned was a tiny FWD hatch with an LSD. Sadly for the Civic Si the Fiesta ST exists and is cheaper and cuter and cooler despite the lack of a real LSD. Oh well, maybe some day we'll get a Fit Si.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Best part of being an intern at that dealership was the V8 F-Type start up sound. Someone found an excuse to move the cars around every second day.

They sound loving amazing at full chat too, genuinely one of the best V8 noises I've heard in a long time. I'd love to have a job just working on engine notes...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Eh, closer to 200k. And they are selling incredibly, incredibly well. I suppose it's a problem from a car enthusiasts perspective, it is definitely not a problem from a corporate perspective.

I do not understand why people are lining up to pay this much for something honestly quite mediocre. Having worked with fully loaded ones, RRs are nice, but not that nice. I suppose people are willing to pay a lot to have a bigger car than others. The big car cult is horrible, even in Europe. When Bentley makes an SUV they are going to be rolling in money.

Best part of being an intern at that dealership was the V8 F-Type start up sound. Someone found an excuse to move the cars around every second day. There was also a customer who liked to announce his arrival in a XKR with a good rev or two. Lots of people drove by on sweet bikes.

It was a good place for sound, certainly.

Sad car stuff: no one in Poland buys Jaguars (I am a Jaguar apologist for some reason that I do not entirely comprehend). No one buys Land Rovers. LOADS of people looove Range Rovers. Evoques sell like hotcakes.

Yeah my bad the one we had on OVE had some custom work I didn't see when I saw the $400k price, it was some bulletproof deal. Still, $150-200k for a Land Rover is a special kind of crazy.

Those are some dumb people buying Autobiographies

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
200k land rovers are dumb unless they're bullet proof and equipped with South African flame throwers then they are awesome.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What really gets me is that they charge $150,000 for a range rover, then still have the balls to ask for another $1800 for metallic paint

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Wheeee posted:

I haven't yet been in one but apparently the new Accord is legit really good and a return to form, as in would be by far king poo poo of family sedan mountain if the Mazda6 wasn't around.

I dont know, motortrend had a big midsidzed sedan comparison and the 2014 accord managed to come in 4th behind the Mazda 6, Kia Optima, and Chrysler 200.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1405_2014_2015_midsize_sedans_the_big_test/

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

What really gets me is that they charge $150,000 for a range rover, then still have the balls to ask for another $1800 for metallic paint

On a side note, I think metallic paint is overdone now and there's lots of cars/colors that look better as normal paint. Especially lighter colors like light blue.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

kill me now posted:

I dont know, motortrend had a big midsidzed sedan comparison and the 2014 accord managed to come in 4th behind the Mazda 6, Kia Optima, and Chrysler 200.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1405_2014_2015_midsize_sedans_the_big_test/

Even if it only came in second place the old adage applies: second place is just the first loser. But losing to a Chrysler? Yeah, Honda's loving up.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

No, aside from the part about the engine being outdone by new turbo motors, none of this is true. Reviews praise the chassis and the packaging and the powertrain's smoothness and character, but cry for more power.

And heck, by your standards, it's nearly as "fast" as the FoST.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Even if it only came in second place the old adage applies: second place is just the first loser. But losing to a Chrysler? Yeah, Honda's loving up.

On the other hand, it came in first in C/D's and R&T's comparos, and second to the new 6 in Automobile's. Also, the new 200 is a really nice family car, and MT is complete poo poo. Like that comparison is basically about which car has the softest dash pad and most gimmicky poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PeterWeller posted:

No, aside from the part about the engine being outdone by new turbo motors, none of this is true. Reviews praise the chassis and the packaging and the powertrain's smoothness and character, but cry for more power.

Maybe my standards are too high but I drove one recently and I thought it was boring and lame even compared to older Civics, let alone similarly priced cars considering they tend to cost like $23k+.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

Maybe my standards are too high but I drove one recently and I thought it was boring and lame even compared to older Civics, let alone similarly priced cars considering they tend to cost like $23k+.

Honestly, for the money, I'd just get a FiST, but I liked the coupe I drove earlier this year. Aside from the gaudy red seat insert, I really liked the interior. And I though it was a lot of fun to chuck around the looping on- and off- ramps on the test route.

E: actually, to be perfectly honest, I'd be on my way to get the FiST, and then turn around and get an Abarth because of that sound. :getin:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

On the other hand, it came in first in C/D's and R&T's comparos, and second to the new 6 in Automobile's. Also, the new 200 is a really nice family car, and MT is complete poo poo. Like that comparison is basically about which car has the softest dash pad and most gimmicky poo poo.

You must be reading an alternate universe issue of C&D from the one I read then, because the C&D I read didn't like it. Quote:

quote:

Although it remains true to the 29-year-old formula of cheap, light, and high-revving entertainment, the updated 2014 Civic Si is compromised by a chassis that refuses to play along. Metaphorically speaking, we’re still waiting for this Civic Si’s VTEC to kick in. [...] Now making 205 horsepower and 174 lb-ft, the 2.4-liter four-cylinder pulled the Si to a slower-than-expected 6.5-second 0-to-60 time and a 15.1-second quarter-mile. [...] We were slowed slightly by a crunchy gearbox that refused to be rushed during the shift from first to second. [...] Mediocre chassis tuning squanders the baked-in agility that comes with low mass. Despite firmer springs, a stiffened rear anti-roll bar, and retuned dampers for 2014, the Si still wallows and bucks when the road introduces big changes in pitch and roll. The slow steering, at 2.8 turns lock-to-lock, suffers from vague on-center feel and an unsettling lightness in corners.
[...] Competitors such as the Volkswagen GTI and Ford Focus ST offer a more engaging experience and higher limits

So let's see, crap gearbox, crap handling, not very fun, and not competitive vs. the competition.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-honda-civic-si-sedan-test-review

Most damningly, they rank it ninth place in the sport compact segment (though I don't agree with including the Lancer in that list, it's far more expensive than the rest of those):

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I just assume that the outcome of the roundups in any of the print car mags, if not every review, is less about the cars and more who paid for more ads and fancier junkets

RCK-101
Feb 19, 2008

If a recruiter asks you to become a nuclear sailor.. you say no
To be fair snowden's secret, when my phone died, I read multiple car magazines, and they all said "The mini countryman is the worst piece of poo poo ever," with one claiming that the test car they were given had the transmission violently fail on them, so broken clocks?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

You must be reading an alternate universe issue of C&D from the one I read then, because the C&D I read didn't like it. Quote:

So let's see, crap gearbox, crap handling, not very fun, and not competitive vs. the competition.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2014-honda-civic-si-sedan-test-review

Most damningly, they rank it ninth place in the sport compact segment (though I don't agree with including the Lancer in that list, it's far more expensive than the rest of those):

You didn't read my post correctly. They ranked the Accord first place. And C/D is their preferred acronym. :eng101:

Also, they are much more positive about the coupe: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 21, 2014

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
What kind of half assed "car magazine" puts the Fiesta and the Focus in the same segment?

edit: and the Lancer, wth?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Nidhg00670000 posted:

What kind of half assed "car magazine" puts the Fiesta and the Focus in the same segment?

they're based on interior volume :goonsay:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

PeterWeller posted:

You didn't read my post correctly. They ranked the Accord first place. And C/D is their preferred acronym. :eng101:

Also, they are much more positive about the coupe: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2012-honda-civic-si-coupe-test-review

Ah, my bad, I somehow mashed the first part of your post -which still appears to be on the topic of the Civic- with the second part of your post -which was about the Accord and was where you mentioned magazine reviews- together in my head.
I haven't read/paid attention to anything re: the new Accord, so I can't comment on it at all.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Americans don't usually distinguish between "compact" and "subcompact" size cars; to most people here anything not a "20' long Cadillac/SUV/lifted Truck" that's somewhat quick but don't have a V8 is a "sport compact" :v: And as the above poster noted, size classifications in the US are based on interior volume - those cars are all classified as 'compact/subcompact' in the US. Anything that would be called a hot hatch in the ROW is called a sport compact here.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 21, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ah, my bad, I somehow mashed the first part of your post -which still appears to be on the topic of the Civic- with the second part of your post -which was about the Accord and was where you mentioned magazine reviews- together in my head.
I haven't read/paid attention to anything re: the new Accord, so I can't comment on it at all.

No worries. I quoted two different posts from you, so it wasn't necessarily the clearest.

C/D, at least, loves the Accord. Indeed, if you go by their reviews, the biggest reason not to get a Civic Si is that you can get an Accord Sport for about the same price, and it will be both roomier and better driving.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Powershift posted:

they're based on interior volume :goonsay:

That list is loving hilarious.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Yeah, why does europe make such inefficient compact cars.

A focus can do 40mpg, why does the phantom coupe only do 14?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Huh, so I guess the next time I see a huge car taking up a parking spot marked compact, before I start bitching I'm going to have to consider that it might actually be compact according to the EPA.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I saw a Ram parked at a 40 degree angle in a compact spot in front of a parking lot tree the other day, taking up most of the spot next to it. Granted it was late and the place wasn't busy, but is it really that hard to take the next spot and pull through so you are actually fully inside an appropriately sized spot?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Hikaki posted:

Huh, so I guess the next time I see a huge car taking up a parking spot marked compact, before I start bitching I'm going to have to consider that it might actually be compact according to the EPA.

Legally speaking, the rolls phantom drophead is a compact, the miata isn't.

Keep your god drat 2 seaters out of our compact spots, rear end in a top hat :argh:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ilkhan posted:

I saw a Ram parked at a 40 degree angle in a compact spot in front of a parking lot tree the other day, taking up most of the spot next to it. Granted it was late and the place wasn't busy, but is it really that hard to take the next spot and pull through so you are actually fully inside an appropriately sized spot?

I can get a 15 passenger van into a regular parking spot without driving one every day (Okay with some overhang depending on how the spot is laid out) so I can't really give someone with a pickup as their daily driver a pass on parking.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

PeterWeller posted:

The SI has been lame since it was an egg with the shifter where the radio usually is.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
It is sad how honda was once the leader in 4 cylinders and outdid everyone to now being the iron duke of modern times. You would think Honda could push out an SI with a 250hp NA or a 300HP turbo si by now.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I don't know if we're still discussing Mazda's, but I recently bought a new car.

A 2015 Ford Fusion with the 2.0 EcoBoost. The Mazda6 was the only other car I seriously considered, and if the money was right I might have got one. Their SkyActiv automatic might be the best automatic transmission I've had the pleasure of driving. Instantaneous shifts, and with their always locked-up torque converter, it feels very direct. It feels like the best DCT you've ever experienced. The 2.5 is very torquey too, but it runs out of oomph after 4500rpm (6200rpm redline) when the EcoBoost pulls like crazy. It's a solid car, but I got such an amazing deal on the Fusion and the ecoboost just hauls balls. I've already ordered the Steeda intake because turbo noises are cool.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Counterpoint to lame pickup man: I saw a dude perfectly fit his dulie f250 into a compact spot by parking half of it in the landscaping. By gawd it's gonna fit!

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Christobevii3 posted:

It is sad how honda was once the leader in 4 cylinders and outdid everyone to now being the iron duke of modern times. You would think Honda could push out an SI with a 250hp NA or a 300HP turbo si by now.

They made a pretty nice new turbo Civic Type-R but it is probably not coming to America because reasons

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nodoze posted:

They made a pretty nice new turbo Civic Type-R but it is probably not coming to America because reasons

Because Honda realized that the big money is in making softer cars for people who don't give a poo poo about anything but being swaddled in comfort and never having to get the thing fixed.

Mazda is basically the new Honda.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Nodoze posted:

Expensive to federalize and they wouldn't make any money on it

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
On that subject, anyone read anything more about how the EU/JP talks on type approval are going? Some years ago there where talks about an agreement on an international type approval scheme, but last I read the US was keeping out of it, though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Wheeee posted:

Because Honda realized that the big money is in making softer cars for people who don't give a poo poo about anything but being swaddled in comfort and never having to get the thing fixed.

Mazda is basically the new Honda.

See also Toyota which is basically new GM but without even bothering to make a Corvette.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
gently caress you, the LFA owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Toyota has aped Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac but has wisely mostly avoided duping Chevrolet's errors.

Makes me wonder what, if any, distinctive brand personality would be considered a modern day Oldsmobile.