Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Roads are tough all over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

kastein posted:

You better be talking about Freds Franks. Super schnurble is love, super schnurble is life. My crew from work occasionally goes there for lunch.

yes sir that's the one, being going there for well over 10yrs now and its always the same thing for me super schnurble covered with lots of onions, lots of cholula, and sweet sauerkraut and mayo at the bottom (which the hot sauce seeps through the meat and into and creates a sort of ghetto aioli). also smelling like a smokehouse for the remainder of the day is an excellent bonus

make sure you do a couple circles around the new and improved rotary next time you are up and savor the experience.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I haven't been there in a month or three, will have to check it out! I usually enjoy myself on that rotary seeing as I know what a yield sign means and no one wants to pull out in front of a $300 whiskey-dented rotten Forester that appears to corner more like a ship than an automobile.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Legacy GT wagons now officially too cheap to keep out the riff-raff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQJOKM9GkVg

loving idiot.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

nm posted:

loving idiot.

So the brake-checker is an rear end in a top hat, and I hope that LE takes his license plate from that camera and gives him a ticket, I'm pretty sure that after getting brake-checked by an idiot on the highway, my very next move would probably not be to close right back up on his bumper again.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God drat.

Thinking it over for a bit, I think a lot of these crashes happen because people blindly think "must avoid running into the other driver at all costs!"

The Legacy GT driver should've just rear ended the Honda as lightly as possible and then let insurance sort out the rest. Hell, I'll bet if the Legacy driver just braked as hard as possible and tried to keep it in a mostly straight line, the ABS would've saved the day.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I'd like to see the brake checker arrested & jailed for intentionally causing the accident.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Maybe it's the camera FOV but that looked completely avoidable to me. Just another case of stabbing the brake and turning the wheel at the same time causing oversteer.

I've been in this situation before (minus the idiotic proximity) and a brake check makes it trivial to carry speed through an undertake maneuver. Usually you have the moron on your quarter before they even get off the brake.

The Pilot needs to be beat about the head with a 2x4 and the Legacy needs a drivers' school.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe it's the camera FOV but that looked completely avoidable to me. Just another case of stabbing the brake and turning the wheel at the same time causing oversteer.

I've been in this situation before (minus the idiotic proximity) and a brake check makes it trivial to carry speed through an undertake maneuver. Usually you have the moron on your quarter before they even get off the brake.

The Pilot needs to be beat about the head with a 2x4 and the Legacy needs a drivers' school.

Legacy driver made contact with a car in the right lane is my guess.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58spiamEcfY

:stare:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The steady decline of humanity continues.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

It made the national news up here so I'm guessing Costco shoppers will be extra polite today

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Wish I had a rear camera. I'd have caught a civic slowing from 70mph to 10mph and crossing 4 be lanes and hitting a motorcycle.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Parking spots are serious loving business at Costco on a Saturday.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

Parking spots are serious loving business at Costco on a Saturday.

It's hard to get into the store when diabetes is making your feet hurt and your knees are done from carrying your fat rear end for 30 years.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

KozmoNaut posted:

yeah and that's in Canada

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Mariana Horchata posted:

yeah and that's in Canada

It's Mississauga, which is Detroit doing magical-girl anime cosplay.

Front page news across the country too.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/costco-road-rage-parking-mississauga-1.3607965

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

Yeah he had already slowed enough to not hit the pilot before he moved out of the lane. People just have no idea how to control weight transfer in emergency conditions, which is fair because it takes a good bit of practice to even get decent at it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Dave Inc. posted:

Yeah he had already slowed enough to not hit the pilot before he moved out of the lane. People just have no idea how to control weight transfer in emergency conditions, which is fair because it takes a good bit of practice to even get decent at it.

Autocross should be mandatory! :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Locator posted:

I'm not seeing a reason this should be a joke. Any kind of mandatory performance driving experience would do wonders for our roads. At the very least it would filter out all the over-cautious idiots who think the car's going to explode if the gas pedal touches the floor.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

The Locator posted:

Maybe Street Survival should be opened up to more people than just teens.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Beach Bum posted:

Maybe Street Survival should be opened up to more people than just teens.

One of the best things I've ever done for improving my car control was the skid pad course at Mid-Ohio's driving school. You learn how to countersteer properly reeeeaally fast when the rear wheels only have 10% normal grip. Hell of a lot of fun, too.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

wolrah posted:

I'm not seeing a reason this should be a joke. Any kind of mandatory performance driving experience would do wonders for our roads. At the very least it would filter out all the over-cautious idiots who think the car's going to explode if the gas pedal touches the floor.

For real...and even though I haven't done an autocross like 6+ years because i stopped enjoying them after a while I can definitely say without hesitation that having the chance to go out of the course plenty of times in the past and being able to play around and experiment while learning basic vehicle dynamics and car control in a controlled low-stress environment has gotten me out of probably out of 100 or more situations that could very likely have ended up wrecked on the side of the road. Drivers ed around here (and my own experience) is essentially a racket where u (or ur parents) are essentially left with no alternative but to pay the only game in town like $800+ for the privilege of 3 months of worthless classroom lecture and memorization followed by road time where the instructors essentially teach you to pass your tests rather than have the emphasis be on developing each student into a lifelong safe and competent driver by reinforcing things like looking seconds ahead at where you are going to be and how to assess potentially dangerous situations when on the road. Oh and being stuck in back of the drivers ed car after doing my driving and switching seats with a person who has never sat in the drivers seat before at 6pm on a Friday was always absolutely terrifying and im surprised i never just got up and out of the car and called for a ride home (i think such "observation time" was considered part of the course requirements).

ok here's my complaint for the day

Speaking of situations where having rudimentary car control ability have saved me, the latest annoying trend that has happened to me about 5+ times in the past month or so involves cars waiting at a stop sign to turn left out from a 'T' intersection who will pull out to make their turn when I am somewhere in the process of making a left of my own onto the road they are coming from (with absolutely nothing preventing me from having the right of way) and each time usually coming quite close to making a direct hit on my frt/drvs door...and im sure this would have already happened had i not knew what they were likely going to do and made any drastic attempt to get out of their way before they slam on their brakes just in time and then go ahead and give me a dumbfounded dirty look like im the one who hosed up. Makes me really wish everyday driving had penalties like LeMons and these ppl could be punished by having a goddamn stop sign welded onto their hood as a constant reminder to abide by fundamental right of way rules and as a warning sign to everybody around them. Sure it can be a good excuse to practice lift off oversteer when having to accelerate last second and make the turn super late but one of these days im not going to be so lucky and will end up being dragged down into their poo poo.

:sigh: I really think its time to buy another dashcam and maybe give up and approach such intersections where this always happens going <25mph perhaps while tapping the horn like a reversing FedEx truck to make sure they make eye contact and stay put while i attempt to safely make my unrestricted left turn while watching what should be the real threats like oncoming traffic and pedestrians crossing (and not the person who has no reason to be anything but stationary). What confounds me is that they most likely honestly think they have the right of way to pull out directly in front of someone taking a left since they have already been waiting at the stop sign nevermind that doing so puts us on a loving collision course. No wonder why i havent ridden my bike much so far this spring.

/rant

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Dave Inc. posted:

One of the best things I've ever done for improving my car control was the skid pad course at Mid-Ohio's driving school. You learn how to countersteer properly reeeeaally fast when the rear wheels only have 10% normal grip. Hell of a lot of fun, too.

my parents bought me a performance driving course up at Sears Point Raceway when i turned 18. Best bday present EVER.

Seriously, I will agree that stuff like that should at least get you a serious insurance discount.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

loving idiot.

This should be the brake-checker's punishment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZhhKp4dDjU&t=168s

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Local to me, someone took parallel parking at Fred Meyer's to an extreme.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Did that guy get run over by the truck or is he just hoping it won't roll backwards over top of him while he sits under it? :eek:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I don't know for sure, but it looks like a bystander peeking into/under the van.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, I think he's trying to help, but I also feel like he should have put something under the pillars before climbing underneath.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
The brakechecker is a dick but the guy following too close and not taking a goddamn hint is both legally and morally at fault IMO.

gently caress tailgaters... it doesn't achieve anything except pissing everyone else off. And pissed off inconsiderate people don't let people pass. So knock it the hell off, wait till you have a space to pass them on the right and then make your move.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

kastein posted:

The brakechecker is a dick but the guy following too close and not taking a goddamn hint is both legally and morally at fault IMO.

gently caress tailgaters... it doesn't achieve anything except pissing everyone else off. And pissed off inconsiderate people don't let people pass. So knock it the hell off, wait till you have a space to pass them on the right and then make your move.

The brake checker is probably more lefally at fault. The dash cam shows it to be an intentional act which puts it into adw territory.
Everyone in that video is stupid as gently caress.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Send them both to the gallows and move on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, we got 7 billion other humans available. Execute the offenders and move on.

Until I am the one that fucks up, then we gotta change the rules because it's unfair.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

nitrogen posted:

my parents bought me a performance driving course up at Sears Point Raceway when i turned 18. Best bday present EVER.

Seriously, I will agree that stuff like that should at least get you a serious insurance discount.
My daughter turns 16 this summer, we'll be doing https://www.prodrive.net followed by http://www.dirtfish.com. She's got a lot of experience driving/piloting things already but I want her ready to dodge all the idiots she'll be sharing the road with.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

kastein posted:

No. Brake checker both caused the initial situation by sitting in the left lane and aggravated it by actually brake checking.

Tailgater didn't have the car or skill needed to pull off such a maneuver.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Powershift posted:

Send them both to the gallows and move on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbJ4yzA854A&t=10s

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

joe944 posted:

No. Brake checker both caused the initial situation by sitting in the left lane and aggravated it by actually brake checking.

Tailgater didn't have the car or skill needed to pull off such a maneuver.

I loving hate left lane hogs and brake checking assholes, and if I had my druthers they'd all be hung drawn and quartered, but I disagree. That's like saying someone yelling at you made you yell back. You're in control of your own actions.

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

kastein posted:

What gets me about the whole situation is that the tailgater was the one with the dashcam. He knows he's getting everything on tape but he insists on driving like a dick? Does he think he's in the right, or something, just one of those guys who does whatever they want and it's the rest of the people that are the problem?

Some serious hubris and ignorance, there.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I loving hate left lane hogs and brake checking assholes, and if I had my druthers they'd all be hung drawn and quartered, but I disagree. That's like saying someone yelling at you made you yell back. You're in control of your own actions.
Brake checkers are like children windmilling their arms across a playground going "IF YOU GET HIT, IT'S YOUR FAULT!", and just as in that example, the best solution is to let them do it to someone way bigger who doesn't give a gently caress, and deal with the aftermath themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Brake checking is hideously dangerous and I see the wisdom of not doing it, but when you got a shitheel glued to your rear end mad at you being a speedbump, I can kind of see why it happens. You want to let them know you're pissed off, and there's not much you can do to discuss it sensibly.

Maybe cars need some kind of LED grid in the rear window so you can vent your frustration with a giant gently caress OFF when things get tense.