Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nah, you play a cop, and you don't change perspectives in FC games.

I'm sure there will be plenty of black cop on white cop actionm I'm sure there'll be an achievement/trophy called "They call me MISTER Tibbs!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I hope Ubisoft goes easy on the drug trip segments that they seem to feel needs to be in every FarCry game. Thee were awful in 4.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Snak posted:

the closing montage shows how black gangs are the same as white christian seperatists.
Games, just no.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

J-Spot posted:

I hope Ubisoft goes easy on the drug trip segments that they seem to feel needs to be in every FarCry game. Thee were awful in 4.

lol it's gonna be Indian stuff this time

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
The game ends when the preacher guy makes a big speech about wanting to segregate white and black people, except this time you had just done a badass heist mission where you snuck into his office and changed the wording of his speech

He does not realize this himself, until his speech, where he suddenly says that white and black people should be segregated to maintain safe spaces for people of color. Everyone in the state applauds his brave and forward-thinking approach to equality, and the credits roll

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'm really dreading Native American magic as the upgrade tree...

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Agreed. Too bad it's so far away (February 27). Was expecting Fall.

febuary-march is the new fall

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Montana is a good setting for insane bullshit right now at least.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

Montana is a good setting for insane bullshit right now at least.

the announcement was well timed lol

I hope there's a sidequest where you get to beat up a british journalist

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Criminal investigations don't mean squat when you're running for office, don'tcha know? The game's gonna end with the main villain becoming a congress man while your character gets prison time while the Fox news equivalent spins a narrative of how an awful a person you are and the now congressman was a victim of prejudice and/or a witch hunt.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So Horizon: Zero Dawn...good? Nothing about the robo-dinos or the future-early man stuff appeals to me, but if it's good I can give it a shot. It always gave me vibes of being pretty but kinda shallow like Uncharted.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't be surprised if beating up that journalist actually helped that dope get elected in the end.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

MeatwadIsGod posted:

So Horizon: Zero Dawn...good? Nothing about the robo-dinos or the future-early man stuff appeals to me, but if it's good I can give it a shot. It always gave me vibes of being pretty but kinda shallow like Uncharted.

It's really good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if beating up that journalist actually helped that dope get elected in the end.

Nah, a lot of people do mail-in voting. He only won by 5 points too against a guy who was a completely new face to politics. Hopefully he spends his first months in office in a jail cell, the thug.

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Yeah, it's very good. Don't get bogged down on collecting everything - because there is a CRAPTON - and the story will move along nicely. I was getting bored trying to collect everything, and then stopped doing that and wasn't bored anymore. Very good gameplay that ends up feeling a little bit like The Witcher (in that you have to prepare a bit before a big fight) and there are multiple ways to engage in combat. It's just fun. It's also a huge game, with varying environments and enemies.

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 26, 2017

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Wouldn't surprise me, since most people despise journalists even more than they despise politicians

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Horizon is a really good game but the robodinos and neo-caveman setting feature pretty heavily into the world and how it came to be that way, so if you're not down with the act of hunting mechagators you might find it less enjoyable than most. There is a lot of care and detail placed into the story that goes far beyond just "video games" as a backdrop, though. I found the story to be really engaging almost right from the start. Mechanically it plays very similar to Tomb Raider, with almost identical bow and crafting mechanics. There's quite a lot of variety in the enemy types and how you can take them down, especially if you play on harder difficulties.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

J-Spot posted:

There weren't any dumb drug segments in far cry 2, aka the good far cry :can:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Far Cry 2 was great, graphics were amazing for the time but the respawning outposts were poo poo garbage

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I got bummed out after Witcher 3, thinking that there wouldn't be a game on that caliber again for a while, but there was, and it was Horizon: Zero Dawn. I'd consider it a must-have.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Far Cry 2 was great, graphics were amazing for the time but the respawning outposts were poo poo garbage

Far cry 3 got rid of respawning outposts and it made the game wayyyyy more boring.

Fc2 needed some tweaks to be great, but it was real close.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Far Cry 2 had a lot more wrong with it than respawning outposts, it was zero fun at all

Also you can pick your race AND gender for 5

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love to play a Far Cry that was as conceptually as good as 2 with the quality of mechanics of 4.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love to play a Far Cry that was as conceptually as good as 2 with the quality of mechanics of 4.

Get rid of the xp and crafting poo poo tho, imo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah.

Also revert to the map style of FC2, which was way better. No minimap. If you want the map, hold it up on your screen.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Snak posted:

If you want the map, hold it up on your screen.

That was SO good.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Drivin through the jungle with the map on the steering wheel was dope.

Also the dynamic roadsigns, but fc3 had those also.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The conceit that you're suffering from malaria all game and your guns can jam are cool conceptually but probably very difficult to execute in a way that feels satisfying to most players.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The fire effects in FC2 :discourse:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

The conceit that you're suffering from malaria all game and your guns can jam are cool conceptually but probably very difficult to execute in a way that feels satisfying to most players.

You can visually tell if your gun is in poor condition, and it's prudent to get frest guns before going on a mission, and also during the mission.

It was a great foil to "i unlocked the best gun and just use it all the time"

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I was super careful about keeping my guns fresh my first time through FC2, and while it owned I kind spoiled myself out of the gun jamming mechanic. I just kinda winged it my second time through and had more fun.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Ive found the best way to purchase stuff on psn is to have a trusted friend. Set the accounts on primary on each others ps4. Buy the game digitally full price. Split the costs between you two. And both of you get to enioy the game while playing on your own account.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

an actual dog posted:

I was super careful about keeping my guns fresh my first time through FC2, and while it owned I kind spoiled myself out of the gun jamming mechanic. I just kinda winged it my second time through and had more fun.

I mean, I think that's why they made them degrade so fast. As soon as poo poo hits the fan, your gun isn't going to last you. If you plan meticulously, and things go as planned, you probably wont run into gun troubles. Which I think is a pretty cool balance.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sefal posted:

Ive found the best way to purchase stuff on psn is to have a trusted friend. Set the accounts on primary on each others ps4. Buy the game digitally full price. Split the costs between you two. And both of you get to enioy the game while playing on your own account.

Whaaaat does this work on PS4?! I thought Sony cut down on that after the glory days of 8-way PS3 splitting.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Yeah. Been doing this for 2 years now. Works only on 2 ps4's. If an account is set as primary on a ps4. That ps4 can play all the games from that account on any account on that ps4. On your own ps4. You just log into your account to play the game.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

You lose some benefits, like preloads and remote play. It's not an optimal thing to do.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I use the leet hack of just... Buying the games I want to play...

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
how dare you suggest that a bunch of adults just buy what they want at retail price instead of try to find weird loopholes?!

no seriously I love weird loopholes despite my fairly comfortable financial position. is there a limitation where both users can't play the game at the same time or something dumb like that?

I don't mind buying $60 games when it's something that I really really want (I bought persona 5 digital at full price because I couldn't be arsed to leave my apt), but steam has spoiled me on how much I can "acceptably" spend on a new game. It's making it hard for me to pull the trigger on Dragon Quest Builders. Once i clear my backlog some more for sure.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It's a very polished open world game, with fun combat. As far as that aspect of it goes, the core mechanics it's pretty much as good as any other open world game, without being groundbreaking in any particular way (for this aspect of it more Tomb Raider with better and more varied combat, than Uncharted). For me it was the story that elevated it though. Robo-dinos/future-early man wasn't a big draw for me either, but the actual story it told and the way it told it, both in the present and the gradual unraveling of what happened in the past drew me in, all the way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
HZD is coincidentally also one of those games that I'm sure I will enjoy a lot, but don't want to spend any more than $30 on because it wasn't really on my radar to begin with. So I'll wait for a sale or whatever, look at how cheap Bloodborne is these days despite being the Best Game On PS4.

$50 gets me a whole lot of beer or weed is what I am trying to tell you guys