Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Wow, so many things I didn't remember. Some thoughts:

With how important sounds become, I wonder if the foghorn that Pete hears has significance. It is what tipped him off to Laura.

Catherine sucks

The final scene with Sarah Palmer gets quite a lot more interesting after the the Return.

I totally forgot James IS kinda cool and that the roadhouse starts out as an honest to god biker bar. Also hilarious seeing that full shot of the bar after the return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

El Jeffe posted:

Should've brought back the giggling German waitress for the revival

They did, though.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Two Worlds posted:

They did, though.

Oh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

“Who’s the lady with the log?”
“We call her the Log Lady.”

Heh ok.

What must audiences have been thinking the first time through at this point

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I absolutely love that line, too. I like how for the most part she's treated mostly normal and not completely off her rocker (iirc)

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
“My airsacs have never felt better!”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The "comedy" scenes exemplify just such a completely oddball sense of humor. Audrey freaking out the Norwegians into leaving against a soundtrack of clown music, what

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Also I love that all the dumb idiot kids doing ridiculously suspicious things in an attempt to avoid being suspected of the crime get the same reaction from Cooper of,"Well clearly they didn't kill her, they're just being dumb kids!" instead of the usual misunderstanding/wastes of time investigating them instead.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I’m sure it’s not the same actor but the guy Catherine fires at the mill reminds me of the guy that gets hosed up by Sarah Palmer in the bar in S3

E: anyone know if Jacoby fingering his tie while talking about seeing Laura Palmer was an ad lib or in the script. I think that gets grosser every time I see it.

E2: “you didn’t love her anyway” drat Coop, that felt like a little bit of ego seeping through.

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 26, 2019

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Rewatch in progress, I'm late to the party.

I never noticed it before, but Audrey Horne saying "here" with air quotes during roll call is one of my favorite gags ever. Can someone gif that?

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

I do think it's a bit interesting to call out Norwegians and the German waitress specifically. I don't know why. Maybe to highlight the outside people that show up?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Coop's childlike fascination with the wonders of the Pacific Northwest :3:

Talking about Douglas firs and snowshoe rabbits like he's glimpsed the face of God

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eSporks posted:

I never noticed it before, but Audrey Horne saying "here" with air quotes during roll call is one of my favorite gags ever. Can someone gif that?

I was going to mention this one too. She was a little overdone at times in the pilot but this is the best.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Twin Peaks's pilot episode is one of the most confident, assured pilots I can think of. Maybe Legion comes close, or (ugh) House of Cards. Usually pilots are very much feeling their way through -- still nailing down the visual style, character interpretations generally evolve quite a bit even though the rest of the first season, even overall tone can change. Twin Peaks knew exactly what it was from day 1. Just a rare thing to see in a television pilot.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

eSporks posted:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Does Mike Nelson often fall into a memory void for anybody else? He's in the show a lot, he fills a pretty major role, but I almost always forget he exists until I watch an episode again and there he is.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I totally forgot he existed, but now that I'm rereading his wiki entry I'm giggling over how he ended up a paper-pushing bureaucrat filling out forms in triplicate.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Does Mike Nelson often fall into a memory void for anybody else? He's in the show a lot, he fills a pretty major role, but I almost always forget he exists until I watch an episode again and there he is.

I don't forget Mike because Nadine is like my second favorite character after Coop I remember anything related to her storylines.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I like how Cooper is weirded by Jacoby asking to see the body

Every other show would like lol come on down just bring a stick

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Jacoby doesn't give a poo poo about HIPAA

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Bobby and Mike are so good at being shithead Teens at the doctor's house

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

moist turtleneck posted:

Bobby and Mike are so good at being shithead Teens at the doctor's house
not sure I have the exact lines but lol:

Doc Hayward: Mike, have you been drinking?

Mike: We're all pretty shook up about Laura. And besides, Bobby's doing most of the driving.

Bobby *Drunk as hell surfing on the car hood*

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Maybe Jacoby was around for the necklace burial because he was out there doing some therapeutic poo poo shoveling

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

regulargonzalez posted:

Twin Peaks's pilot episode is one of the most confident, assured pilots I can think of. Maybe Legion comes close, or (ugh) House of Cards. Usually pilots are very much feeling their way through -- still nailing down the visual style, character interpretations generally evolve quite a bit even though the rest of the first season, even overall tone can change. Twin Peaks knew exactly what it was from day 1. Just a rare thing to see in a television pilot.

I've seen it so many times now, but it's fun to have an excuse to think about why the pilot is so good. The Coop introduction is just amazing, but even before that... I kind of wish I could see it again for the first time, if you know what I mean. Would the framing of that first shot with Pete as he notices Laura's body be as perfect as it seems to me now? Everything, his posture, the wall, just makes it inevitable for him to keep turning back to examine that little spot on the edge of the frame that seems so small and yet so out of place. And the whole build up between the reveal of Laura on the beach to Sarah's scream. I think we'd care about Laura Palmer anyway give the school scenes and everything else, but the choice to use dramatic tension just works so well to kickstart the whole thing.

Also, I don't know if this is a minority opinion or not, but I actually kinda dig the James and Donna chemistry early in the series. I'll try to pay attention in this rewatch to exactly when it goes a little south for me.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

It is very striking how incredibly odd many scenes are. Bobby pretends to be Godzilla, and walks backwards through doors. When Harry and Coop are looking at the crime scene, there's just a group of hunters standing to the left of the cart with their guns at the ready. Doctor Jacoby fondling his tie. :yikes:

Peacoffee posted:

I like how James told Ed that Laura was the One.

The log lady intro as well: "It is a story of many, but begins with one – and I knew her. The one leading to the many is Laura Palmer. Laura is the one." What a weird thing to say considering we're dealing with multiple Laura Palmers by the end of season three.

Rageaholic posted:

Bobby and Mike barking is so loving weird lmao

I love how James looks like a guilty puppy.

Consummate Professional posted:

With how important sounds become, I wonder if the foghorn that Pete hears has significance. It is what tipped him off to Laura.

The lone foghorn reminds me of that scene from the Straight Story when Alvin is driving across the bridge, and he hears the steamer's horn, and the whole scene becomes extremely ominous. There is something about the sounds of machinery. Like the sudden cuts from screaming to saw blades or the "bad transformer" that causes the light in the morgue to flicker rapidly. Even the traffic lights are kind of ominous. We first see one during the day-to-night transition just doing its thing, but then it reoccurs in the middle of Sarah Palmer's freakout at the end of the pilot, staying red.

Two Worlds posted:

They did, though.

Yeah, Heidi is in every season. Her part in season three is actually the most dignified out of all of her appearances. They don't even bring up that she's German, I think.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

If we're doing a thread rewatch, I've got all the Blu-Rays I can burn and a 4K monitor so I can take 4K screenshots if anyone wants them for a wallpaper or whatever.

Does this offer still stand, by the way? I need (as opposed to Mr. C who only wants):

3:01 Josie looking at herself in the mirror
6:14 Josie and Catherine standing outside in coats
1:11:30 Kabuki cat (and Donna climbing through the window)
1:27:27 The policeman's dream (aka donuts)

(These timestamps may not be accurate since I'm watching the pal release. The speed-up is still a thing, right?)

And More fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Aug 27, 2019

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I always wonder if the showed would have faired better on first air with the Log Lady intros. They seem like a perfect primer to get people focusing on the right parts of the story instead of getting too wrapped up in the who dunnit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

And More posted:

Does this offer still stand, by the way? I need (as opposed to Mr. C who only wants):

3:01 Josie looking at herself in the mirror
6:14 Josie and Catherine standing outside in coats
1:11:30 Kabuki cat (and Donna climbing through the window)
1:27:27 The policeman's dream (aka donuts)

(These timestamps may not be accurate since I'm watching the pal release. The speed-up is still a thing, right?)
How are these?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

eSporks posted:

I always wonder if the showed would have faired better on first air with the Log Lady intros. They seem like a perfect primer to get people focusing on the right parts of the story instead of getting too wrapped up in the who dunnit.

I think no matter what the who dunnit was gonna be the thing people focused on. It's what allowed general audiences to accept the weirdness and overall Lynchiness of the show and it's what made it a "water-cooler" show that people wanted to talk about. I doubt some Log Lady dialogue would've changed that and most people watching probably would've thought of that stuff as meaningless gibberish anyway.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Rageaholic posted:

How are these?

They are drat good. Thank you! :)

Basebf555 posted:

I think no matter what the who dunnit was gonna be the thing people focused on. It's what allowed general audiences to accept the weirdness and overall Lynchiness of the show and it's what made it a "water-cooler" show that people wanted to talk about. I doubt some Log Lady dialogue would've changed that and most people watching probably would've thought of that stuff as meaningless gibberish anyway.

I'm not so sure about that. Look at Paranoia Agent for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBw79C3BPMY&t=727s

These segments are very openly inspired by Twin Peaks. Since they are used as a preview of the next episode, the viewer is instantly enticed to think about them. Sure, you're still trying to solve the whodunnit, but simultaneously, you start to associate characters with mythical figures like the celestial fox and stuff. It's one of those shows that goes from very literal to extremely meta in a very graceful way, I think.

Then again, the real downfall of Twin Peaks wasn't the crazy stuff in itself, it was that it happened way too late into season two.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Paranoia Agent is so good

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
probably my favorite pilot ever, at least off the top of my head. The cut from Cooper saying "may I remind you all that these crimes occurred at night." to the traffic light turning red is so effective.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
First time I saw the (international) pilot was at summer camp when I was about 12, my camp counselor showed us the pilot right before lights out. So it was basically oh poo poo WTF WHO IS THAT GUY IN THE MIRROR, WHY IS HE CROUCHING NEXT TO THE BED LIKE THAT followed immediately by "ok guys lights out, seeya tomorrow morning" and then we're lying there in the middle of the woods in complete darkness. If you had to go to the bathroom in the night you had to get up and walk like a thousand feet down to the bathouse. There were owls out there and you could hear them all through the night.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight we watch season 1 episode 2, which I believe is the first time we meet Bob!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

Tonight we watch season 1 episode 2, which I believe is the first time we meet Bob!

Just for clarity's sake for those watching via Blu-Ray, Season 1 Episode 2 is titled "Episode 1", right?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Just for clarity's sake for those watching via Blu-Ray, Season 1 Episode 2 is titled "Episode 1", right?

Yes.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I noticed that last week :confused:

Not sure why they didn't just count the pilot as episode 1. It doesn't make sense for episode 2 to be the first episode of the series. But that's how it's listed for some reason.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Yeah it's a mess.

There are several ways to number the episodes, especially in Season 2: e.g. S2 E1 can be referred to as episode 1, 9, or 8 depending on the system used. Officially it's Episode 8.

For clarity's sake it might be useful to mention the unofficial episode title whenever it's time to watch a new episode. For example, tonight's episode is "Traces to Nowhere".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Zat posted:

Yeah it's a mess.

There are several ways to number the episodes, especially in Season 2: e.g. S2 E1 can be referred to as episode 1, 9, or 8 depending on the system used. Officially it's Episode 8.
I guess we're gonna be going by these numbers for the sake of this rewatch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Y’all I went to a place today

Awful app doesn’t want me posting pics, but here they are

https://twitter.com/catcavespdx/status/1167986434864644097?s=21