Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That center dash looks like an emachines from roughly the same era as that thing was manufactured, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

animeliker posted:

It's a parts bin Mercedes....nobody wants or likes them. It will eventually be collectible in the way a 1990 Oldsmobile Trofeo is collectable: through apathy from the general populace and rarity. It will still be worthless however.

I am laughing so hard at the wikipedia description of the last generation which consists of the author crying about how no one appreciated the late 80s GM turd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldsmobile_Toronado

quote:

1990 saw Oldsmobile literally and figuratively going to great lengths to revive Toronado and Troféo sales. The hood was the only carryover piece of exterior sheetmetal as Olds designers completely redesigned the body, particularly in the rear, increasing the overall length by about 12 in (305 mm). While the redesign did not increase passenger space, it did answer criticism of the car's trunk space. Toronado/Troféo owners could easily carry enough luggage for a long vacation or four golf bags with room to spare.

On the safety front, for the first time since 1976, an airbag was installed, this time for the driver only, and it was standard equipment; it was fitted in a new steering wheel shared by both models. The new steering wheel framed the driver's view of new analog gauges and information center, as well. The bulky owner's manual for the '90 Toro and Troféo had more room, as well, thanks to a larger glovebox.

The new look did not help stem the tide of sagging sales. Even so, Olds was not ready to throw in the towel just yet. The 1991 models added a couple of new features at no extra cost: previously optional remote keyless entry and anti-lock brakes were made standard across the board. The engine got another small horsepower bump. Troféos got a new interior choice over the standard leather upholstery — Ultrasuede — which must have sold poorly, as it is extremely rare today. The moonroof option no longer required bucket seats to be ordered.

1992 Oldsmobile Toronado
The 1992 models debuted with a new old option: wire wheelcover fans could indulge themselves on Toronados for the first time since 1987. Troféos got a stiffer standard suspension (the formerly optional FE3 package).

Although the Toronado and Troféo were, by this time, as good as GM's designers and engineers could make them, buyers were not buying them since the "SUV craze" was in its infancy and personal luxury coupes, in general, were declining in sales. Oldsmobile management realized this, and decided to cancel the Toronado and Troféo at the end of the 1992 model year. They were replaced in the lineup by the Aurora sports sedan which debuted in early 1994 as a 1995 model.

Which was funny because the late 80s/Early 90s were the giant coupe boom.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Tai-Pan posted:

Those manuals were rare-ish. It wouldn't surprise me if the Crossfires hold their value for a good long while. Going up in value isn't out of the question, but we are talking decades.

There was one for sale at my local VW dealership. I didn't bother checking if it was a manual but I looked at the sticker one day passing by and it was 31.2k. I laughed and figured it would sit on the lot forever but it was gone within a week. I guess there's some sort of demand for them.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There was one near me at a Chrysler dealership few years ago, maybe 2011 or, sitting at $16k or so, never titled, under 30 miles on the odometer, it just kept ticking down in price. I wonder if it's still sitting there sadly.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

The stereo is a bummer, but don't hold out on finding a manual. There were only around 155 made. There are easily less than a hundred left in the world and those cars are worth double or triple the automatics.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Baram posted:

There was one for sale at my local VW dealership. I didn't bother checking if it was a manual but I looked at the sticker one day passing by and it was 31.2k. I laughed and figured it would sit on the lot forever but it was gone within a week. I guess there's some sort of demand for them.

They should've put the manual on the SRT-6, but Mercedes didn't do that with the SLK 32, either. Did Chrysler use Mercedes ATs at the time?

rscott posted:

That center dash looks like an emachines from roughly the same era as that thing was manufactured, lol

I think the center stack would be fine if it was real aluminum or magnesium or something other than painted plastic.

blk fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 28, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

blk posted:

I think the center stack would be fine if it was real aluminum or magnesium or something other than painted plastic.

There needs to be a sign in every car designer's office that says something like, "No, that plastic doesn't look like metal, not even at a brief glance, so either use real metal or a different color of plastic, you fucker"

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I know we were talking about these a couple pages ago. This looks like real gold

http://chillicothe.craigslist.org/cto/4492986596.html

Kind of sucks that it's an automatic, but for 2 G's...

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 24, 2019

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My neighbor in college owned an NA Z32 with a stick. It ran kind of lovely so my experience isn't the greatest but it was a pretty fun car to drive, though I definitely wouldn't call it fast it wasn't terrible. Handled pretty well, it is definitely more of a grand-tourer than a true sports car though. The interior layout is pretty great, I think that was my favorite part.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Real gold? I think this would be something to check out at least. If there's not too much work required, I think this would be a great winter/weekend truck.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 29, 2014

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Extra posted:

I wonder if we could get a Goon's take that's actually driven one of these as to how they perform. It just seems like these would be fairly boat-y cars despite looking pretty dang cool. Sort of like the Mark III non-turbo Supra, the non-turbo 300zx is "only" producing 222hp while weighing 3300 lbs. That might just be talking out my rear end though so I'm curious as to what the actual experience is with these cars.

I had a '91 3000GT (n/a) which made similar power , but weighed even more I believe. 18 through 20 year old me LOVED it. It looked cool as hell and at least to me felt like a much more expensive car than I paid for. It was a 5-speed and wasn't a total dog, but nothing I was going to get hurt in.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A buddy of mine had a NA Z32 for a long time, he didn't like it much but didn't say why. I think it was just old and tired.

This isn't gold, but raises a used-car-buying theory question. What do you think one should pay for non-collector cars that have essentially zero mileage but are really old? I'm not seriously considering buying this one, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Sportcrosses and will use it as an example:

This Sportcross stickered for roughly 33k in 2002, or about 43k in 2014 dollars, making this one essentially half price a dozen years later. On one hand, the price seems reasonable for a like-new car. On the other hand, it's not really a competitive vehicle anymore - 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 18 or 19 combined MPG.

There are other interesting ones out there. Sorting Autotrader and eBay by mileage is really interesting.

Gooberpeas once pointed out to me that Miata prices are more determined by chronological age than mileage, and I found that to be true when I went shopping. I wonder if it applies to most cars.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know we were talking about these a couple pages ago. This looks like real gold

It's also missing a significant part of its front bumper as well.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blk posted:

A buddy of mine had a NA Z32 for a long time, he didn't like it much but didn't say why. I think it was just old and tired.

This isn't gold, but raises a used-car-buying theory question. What do you think one should pay for non-collector cars that have essentially zero mileage but are really old? I'm not seriously considering buying this one, but I have a soft spot in my heart for Sportcrosses and will use it as an example:

This Sportcross stickered for roughly 33k in 2002, or about 43k in 2014 dollars, making this one essentially half price a dozen years later. On one hand, the price seems reasonable for a like-new car. On the other hand, it's not really a competitive vehicle anymore - 0-60 in 7.7 seconds, 18 or 19 combined MPG.

There are other interesting ones out there. Sorting Autotrader and eBay by mileage is really interesting.

Gooberpeas once pointed out to me that Miata prices are more determined by chronological age than mileage, and I found that to be true when I went shopping. I wonder if it applies to most cars.
If it's not in motion it's in decomposition. I bet most of the rubber under the hood is rotting.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

If it's not in motion it's in decomposition. I bet most of the rubber under the hood is rotting.

That's something I'd like to know more about. Sitting in a shed for a decade is bad, but you don't want a zillion miles on the thing either. The "little old lady drove it to church" story is the cliche example for an old low-mileage car, but is once a week enough to keep things from rotting too much?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

PCOS Bill posted:

Sure, but that should be cheap enough to replace.

For giggles I looked up parts cost for a manual tranny swap - yikes

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Pham Nuwen posted:

That's something I'd like to know more about. Sitting in a shed for a decade is bad, but you don't want a zillion miles on the thing either. The "little old lady drove it to church" story is the cliche example for an old low-mileage car, but is once a week enough to keep things from rotting too much?

Can't speak to that, but my dad gave me his truck which he had used to drive to the bus stop every morning for 30 years and it needed a lot of little things once I started driving it. Wheel bearings, rebuild kits for all the hydraulics, axle seals, carburetor rebuild. I'd imagine there's no scenario where something is a perfect time capsule; rubber just wears out eventually.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Dr.Caligari posted:

I know I was talking about the twin turbo ones. :colbert:

(everything nissan made with a VG30 needs to have a VG30DETT in it)

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Old cars with really low miles make me think of my dad's G-body Regal, which he owned in Sitka. It's an island with not many places to go, so cars tend to have low miles. They also tend to rust to pieces.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pham Nuwen posted:

Whenever I look at used cars, my benchmark is around 10,000km/year. It's high enough that the car is unlikely to have sat still for long periods, while still being low enough that it hasn't been run into the ground. Of course, previous owner history and maintenance records factor into it as well.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Baram posted:

You can get a good condition Ferrari 308 or 328 for that kind of money. (I know, apples and oranges, but 31.2k is quite a lot for a used car that isn't particularly high end)

I mean, the Crossfire isn't a terrible car, I kinda like their looks, but 31.2k is completely loving insane, even for the SRT-6 model.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 29, 2014

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

Which was funny because the late 80s/Early 90s were the giant coupe boom.

The "coupe boom" was primarily restricted to the Europeans and The Japanese, and started even earlier than that. The Trofeo and Toronado got caught out because it was a non-premium, non-sporting coupe - basically the 1970s PLC idea. The traditional customer for this type of vehicle migrated to SUVs or Sedans, or left the domestics for German or Japanese marques. The same thing happened to the 89-97 Thunderbird, although that was an infinitely better car and really underappreciated.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Kenshin posted:

I mean, the Crossfire isn't a terrible car, I kinda like their looks, but 31.2k is completely loving insane, even for the SRT-6 model.

I always kinda liked the looks. Not enough to consider buying one, mind you, but I enjoyed seeing them on the road. Thank god at least one manufactures tries some interesting styling from time to time.

I actually like this blacked out one.
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/4458946130.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

Edit: makes me reconsider checking out that '86 Crown Vic

They got better mileage by the 80's, but yeah it's still not great. You'd be better off with a LT1 Roadmaster, if you want a land barge for cruising.

Pham Nuwen posted:

He's asking $2500. It has 160k miles, 6 cylinder 4.9l engine.

I love the old 4.9L six, it's got a bunch of torque and no power. There's a fair amount of mods out there for it, if you're into that.

That generation F-150 had the I-beam front suspension, right? I had an '84 Econoline with the same motor and I really liked it. Didn't matter how much stuff I threw in the back, it would always go forward. Might not be happy about it, but it never stopped. Well, not until an Audi decided it wanted to be in my lane.

edit, spelling

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 29, 2014

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sir Tonk posted:

They got better mileage by the 80's, but yeah it's still not great. You'd be better off with a LT1 Roadmaster, if you want a land barge for cruising.

My fiance has a new Toyota, we use that to travel.

It's still a little surprising how much a trip can cost in gas, even with a 30mpg car; it's kind of hidden when you're paying it $40 at a time over the course of a few days.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc

Pham Nuwen posted:

My fiance has a new Toyota, we use that to travel.

It's still a little surprising how much a trip can cost in gas, even with a 30mpg car; it's kind of hidden when you're paying it $40 at a time over the course of a few days.

For real. Went on tour from Houston to NYC and back in 2009 (it was the year Michael Jackson died, whenever that was), with a bunch of stops, totaling 4000 miles. That was in an '81 El Camino with a 305 and I think it averaged 17mpg. Boy was that expensive, didn't even make enough from the shows to pay for gas.

Sir Tonk fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2014

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Young Orc
CONTENT

So I've been trying to find a way to buy this for about a year now. Anyone around Houston want to go in on it or buy one of my cars so I can afford it?

1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV - $7500

I want that interior so bad.

Considering the work done to it and the general market for these old Lincolns, the price is "fair", but I'd still try to get him down closer to $5k. Talked to him for a bit last year when he first put it up, but I found the Mark VII I wanted and didn't have enough cash, or space, for them both.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
Jesus loving christ. It's a shame gas is on the rise because that looks like the most comfortable thing on four wheels.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

travisray2004 posted:

Jesus loving christ. It's a shame gas is on the rise because that looks like the most comfortable thing on four wheels.

You know, there is plenty of room in that hood for an electric conversion.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Sir Tonk posted:

CONTENT

So I've been trying to find a way to buy this for about a year now. Anyone around Houston want to go in on it or buy one of my cars so I can afford it?

1972 Lincoln Continental Mark IV - $7500

I want that interior so bad.

Considering the work done to it and the general market for these old Lincolns, the price is "fair", but I'd still try to get him down closer to $5k. Talked to him for a bit last year when he first put it up, but I found the Mark VII I wanted and didn't have enough cash, or space, for them both.

As someone else pointed out a while ago, this is the soundtrack to that car. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iOpUdsMeqM :whatup:

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tai-Pan posted:

You know, there is plenty of room in that hood for an electric conversion.

And a fridge and a lounge chair and...

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

The tops weren't removable on these, right? If they were I would buy it.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No, but holy poo poo, if that's in even vaguely good shape it's a great deal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Holy gently caress, yeah that's a good deal.

No the roof won't come off unfortunately.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Just take a Sawzall to it

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
e;f,b

Harbor Freight cut-off wheels and angle-grinders are cheap :getin:

I am of course joking, do not do that or I (and everyone else) will find you and hurt you

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

The tops weren't removable on these, right? If they were I would buy it.

That's cool as poo poo, buy it.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

"Im asking $1500 because not everyone wants sonic airbrushed on their first car."

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4494435975.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Bring Back Noid posted:

"Im asking $1500 because not everyone wants sonic airbrushed on their first car."

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4494435975.html

I'm texting this guy later.

EDIT: I found more pics! http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/4481168498.html

Quantrill fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 30, 2014