Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Rondette posted:

Yeah, I felt like I'd dropped through a wormhole into a David Lynch universe, or something....
edit-

It's on 4od at the moment

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/foxes-live-wild-in-the-city/4od#3330305

Skip to 40 minutes for the :catstare:

It was on 'Foxes Live', I linked it when it was on but alas, no longer available. But I did take some screen shots!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Paperhouse posted:

Definitely watch Dead Man's Shoes and A Room for Romeo Brass if you liked This Is England and haven't seen them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmjNLAU7zLQ

Best scene in Dead Man's Shoes.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Rondette posted:

It was on 'Foxes Live', I linked it when it was on but alas, no longer available. But I did take some screen shots!

There was a good documentary on a few years back about the A30 called 'The Man Who Eats Badgers', most of the footage comprised of a man eating roadkill but also had somebody trying to hunt the beast of bodmin moor and some other nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNYgwMuCXM

The first portion of it can be found through google video though I'm unsure about posting a link here because :filez:

justcola fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 28, 2012

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

Taear posted:

Why though? It just sort of went nowhere and turned into cop out sillyness.

I felt watching it this season that they had only three episodes worth of plot that they stretched out over the whole season. Basically Jeremy lifecoaching, paint-balling and Jeremy falling for Dobby was all they had to work with.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS
With all the This Is England talk I finally got around to watching the film tonight and :stare: Milky :stare:

Brilliant though, can't wait to get stuck into '86 and '88 now.

Nice to see the table tennis/pony owning fella off of 15 Storeys High.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Furret Basket posted:

Gerry Anderson has died.

I'm sure he defined a lot of our childhoods. Most notably being Thunderbirds, Stingray, Captain Scarlet and Space:1999. :( drat.

I have vivid memories of Christmas one year during the 90s Gerry Anderson revival, getting my dad to spend hours putting the stickers on a (loving massive) model of the Cloudbase.

And now we'll never know how the radios built into their hats knew exactly when to flip down the mics :(

ScipioAfro posted:

A good time to watch the intro to Captain Scarlet and wonder how the gently caress it was a kids show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4Qy_-__W5E

The finger is on the trigger is how an episode of the twilight zone would start, not a bloody puppet show. You were so cool Gerry Anderson, i'm pretty sure parts of your work are irreversibly burn into my memory.

6:30 is my favourite example. Their tyre bursts, they come off the road and the SSC loving explodes, leaving them as bloodied corpses.

CydonianKnight
May 7, 2007

What do you want? Toothpaste in my eye!
e: looks like there was a whole page of discussion about foxes I missed out on.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

spincube posted:

I have vivid memories of Christmas one year during the 90s Gerry Anderson revival, getting my dad to spend hours putting the stickers on a (loving massive) model of the Cloudbase.

My Dad ended up spanking me because I went on like a horrible dick for the Blue Peter Tracy Island components :cry:

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

WastedJoker posted:

My Dad ended up spanking me because I went on like a horrible dick for the Blue Peter Tracy Island components :cry:

28 years old I was...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

WastedJoker posted:

That's awful. I hope he didn't have a thunder of a slap, otherwise your rear end would've been left scarlet afterwards. A spanking like that can really sting.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

I love the fact that you can ask blokes in their mid 20s whether they got a real Tracy Island or a Blue Peter one, and you will rarely stumble across someone who says they got neither.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I remember I got a real one, and I still had my Thunderbird 2 with the landing gear and Thunderbird 4 hangar that really worked till I was around 17 and we moved house. I don't know how the hell my parents afforded it, since we were poor as gently caress in Scotland in the early 90s. Maybe my uncle stole it or something.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Hank Morgan posted:

I felt watching it this season that they had only three episodes worth of plot that they stretched out over the whole season. Basically Jeremy lifecoaching, paint-balling and Jeremy falling for Dobby was all they had to work with.

I can completely agree with this, it was like they hadn't actually written the ending of the series and didn't quite know where to go after Jeremy fell in love with Dobby.
I think I'd have liked it more if Mark had cheated with the career woman and it'd all gone a bit more crazy.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Prison Warden posted:

I remember I got a real one, and I still had my Thunderbird 2 with the landing gear and Thunderbird 4 hangar that really worked till I was around 17 and we moved house. I don't know how the hell my parents afforded it, since we were poor as gently caress in Scotland in the early 90s. Maybe my uncle stole it or something.

I got the real one too for my 5th or 6th birthday, I don't think I've ever been more excited about a present. Granted after the first month all the palm trees snapped off but the rest lasted me for ages.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Gorn Myson posted:

I love the fact that you can ask blokes in their mid 20s whether they got a real Tracy Island or a Blue Peter one, and you will rarely stumble across someone who says they got neither.

I got neither. My folks say that's because Blue Peter ran out of instructions on how to make it but looking back on it in the cold light of 20 years plus, that's total bollocks.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
We got the instructions so that we could build one.

Then we didn't.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I didn't get one, we were too poor :(.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

My dad never misses a chance to remind me of the time he traipsed all over London looking for the Tracy Island toy for my Christmas present. Says that someone offered to buy it off him on the Tube for £100, but he turned him down.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

goatface posted:

We got the instructions so that we could build one.

Then we didn't.

You bastard.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

quote:

I'm in my late 20s and I thought Tracey Island was more for people in their early to mid 30s, nobody I knew had one nor was it ever talked about at school!

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Taear posted:

I'm in my late 20s and I thought Tracey Island was more for people in their early to mid 30s, nobody I knew had one nor was it ever talked about at school!

I'm 20 and my Tracey Island was the best present I got that year and Blue Peter did a version as well. I think it's a case of whether your generation coincided with a showing of Thunderbirds on some channel or another

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Sion posted:

I got neither. My folks say that's because Blue Peter ran out of instructions on how to make it but looking back on it in the cold light of 20 years plus, that's total bollocks.

This what I remember happening as well - I know that we wrote in and didn't get anything back, and the BBC says that there were 100,000 requests (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7649362.stm) which sounds right considering the mailbags they showed on the show.

Anyway, if you feel like a crack at it... http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/classic/bluepeter/makes/tracyisland.pdf

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Taear posted:

I'm 27 and Tracey Island was a huge thing when I was growing up.

A thing I never had :(

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm 31 and was a little bit too old but my (3 year younger) brother was massively into it. People in their late 20's now are that exact demographic, maybe it just wasn't popular in your area for some reason.

I remember we taped the Blue Peter episode so we could follow it at our own speed.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Junkenstein posted:

I remember we taped the Blue Peter episode so we could follow it at our own speed.

My desperately unhandy uncle did this and requested my dad go over so he could help build it as a surprise for my small cousin.

I seem to recall my dad stormed in sometime after midnight with paint all over his baldy head, he didn't speak to my uncle for six months afterwards, and that my small cousin got a Fisher Price castle instead. I should think that this type of incident was repeated in hundreds of households across the UK.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
My household just about managed step one where you mould the island shape out of papier mache. Then it sat in the corner 'drying' for a few months until my mum threw it away. :)

Come to think of it that kind of established the pattern for every big project I've undertaken since. :(

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
Surely this means Anthea Turner can never truly die, since she's locked herself into the memories of so many. Flakemort.

Cunning Plan
Apr 15, 2003

Rarity posted:

I'm 27 and Tracey Island was a huge thing when I was growing up.

A thing I never had :(

Ditto. I think my dad's somewhat irrational dislike of blue peter precluded doing the homemade one :(

And actually, one of my friends had the official one; I remember seeing it and thinking it was a bit poo poo.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

To be fair, what exactly were you meant to do with the island? You launch everything from there and then all the rescuing action happens behind the sofa.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
This 30 Years of CITV is fantastic sofar. Anyone else watching it? Some great behind the scenes facts and fun.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Junkenstein posted:

To be fair, what exactly were you meant to do with the island? You launch everything from there and then all the rescuing action happens behind the sofa.
Hold drug-fuelled post-mission orgies, where Penelope does things a lady isn't meant to do...

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

That was surely the worst Christmas ever for TV. Especially the BBC where on Christmas Eve we were treated to a Mrs Brown's Boys Christmas special! And just in case you were having second thoughts about sticking your head in the oven it was followed up by a Vicar of Dibley Christmas Special! From 1996. Also the Royle Family Christmas special. Jesus Tittyfucking Christ, why? And how? That show actually had something in its first series but it's become what all BBC comedy seems to become when it runs of long enough: back to back poo poo and piss jokes.

I thought Peep Show was okay. The ending, like much of the series felt like there was something a bit off about it. It felt overly rushed in parts and then it seemed to really drag on in others. It kind of felt like the writers had just kind of highlighted the main points and handed the script over to someone on work experience to finish. It was competent, but it was just lacking the essence of former series that made them really great. I don't think they could ever do better than Mark's Wedding anyway. That episode crippled me with laughter.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Yeah, between lovely indents and worse programming, it's been a real crap Christmas line-up.

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011
The Royal Institution lectures this year are pretty interesting - the lecturer is a very engaging guy and supervised me in my 1st year of uni.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Chuck Bartowski posted:

This 30 Years of CITV is fantastic sofar. Anyone else watching it? Some great behind the scenes facts and fun.

I once served Stephen Mulhern at the Birmingham Palasades/New Street McDonalds. Never has a man looked so upset that his Bacon & Egg McMuffin without cheese took so long to get to him in a bag.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Let us not forget that there's an episode of Knightmare showing on the 5th. I am sure it'll be awful to rewatch but I'm going to do it anyway.

Considering gameshows seem to be in vogue at the moment I'm quite surprised there's no adult version of Knightmare.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Taear posted:

Let us not forget that there's an episode of Knightmare showing on the 5th. I am sure it'll be awful to rewatch but I'm going to do it anyway.

Considering gameshows seem to be in vogue at the moment I'm quite surprised there's no adult version of Knightmare.

I watched a winning episode on Youtube recently, it has not aged as badly as you might think (although the kids all look SO YOUNG) Here's a team who actually won-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11U20DApGA4
Feed your nostalgia here, this is a pretty nice Knightmare site well worth an hour or so of your time-
http://www.knightmare.com/

Particularly amusing is the part where the producers realised they didn't have to create a whole 'map' of the game (putting a separate room behind each door choice) so it didn't really matter what door you picked. Also, if they didn't like a team of children they would sabotage it so they could get rid of them!

Also watching people not know the difference between left and right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciIfcYwI6Ps

Red7
Sep 10, 2008

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Was there anything on there about Scavengers in the end? I loved that game show.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Going back to discussing the Christmas schedules for a moment: Channel 5's Christmas day output was hilariously awful. Two films that everyone has seen a hundred times, both of them over four hours long; followed by three hours of Eddie Stobart documentaries, and even they were repeats.

It must have taken them five minutes to schedule that out. 'Most important day of the year for telly viewing? Eh, gently caress it, this'll do.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Answers Me posted:

Going back to discussing the Christmas schedules for a moment: Channel 5's Christmas day output was hilariously awful. Two films that everyone has seen a hundred times, both of them over four hours long; followed by three hours of Eddie Stobart documentaries, and even they were repeats.

It must have taken them five minutes to schedule that out. 'Most important day of the year for telly viewing? Eh, gently caress it, this'll do.'

You can forgive Channel 5 though. You expect poo poo TV on Channel 5 and you're not expected to pay out the hole for it every year. It's just particularly insulting and infuriating when the BBC, on the few days of the year when you rely on them to show decent TV that the family can watch so you don't have to talk to them, instead bend over and spray everyone with a big, wet, 72 hour long diarrhea. That's a nice way to round off a year when you were exposed as one gigantic old boys' club for nonces, Auntie.

Sorry for all the talk of holes and nonces. This is why Points of View never read out my e-mails :(